Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Love the Great Court story. Must remember to bring my Cam card next time I'm in Cambridge then I think they have to let me in image

Light session last night. 8 X 2 miss off 90s. Given the fairly long recoveries I tried to push the pace a bit (by my standards) and managed 5.48 average. Bring on the road relays on Saturday!
  • Options
    bainspjbainspj ✭✭✭

PP – 50m in 4 days including a race is pretty hefty.   Top work by the PP family.

ES – congratulations on being the first (but certainly not the last) to worry about the state of today’s weather and what that could mean for the marathon. 

Sounds like good news TT.  Really pleased to see that.

KD – I’m with TR.  I think if you start a campaign healthy then you’ll have a much better chance of a positive result.

Positive session Padams and definitely a good sign re the disappearing cough!

Al_P – impressive March stats and a good week logged too. 

Toro – good speedy session

Good session Jools.

PB splits were: 1:23/1:35 for a 2:58

My only other marathon (VLM 2014) was: 1:21 / 1:53 for a 3:14

All this tells me is that I am capable of much better.

Last night I managed a very easy 4miles at just under 8m/m. 

I have been asked by our team manager to run for my club in the National 12 stage on Saturday … We’ve only got 11 people on the team sheet (not including me) … oh dear!

• Options

Al_P - Lol, nice try

• Options

TR & Bains - I was healthy when I started

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

selbs -- "spent in a ditch losing my hat" -- now there's a euphemism I've not heard before, I remember the ditch wellimage

TT -- nah, I'm not (sadly) in PB shape. I was about 1 min quicker over two HMs in 2013, though my marathon/half conversion may be closing. And glad you're making progress with the physio BTW.

Padams -- glad your lungs let you wear out your legs!

Al_P -- it was a pleasure! In hindsight we should have claimed to be Trinity alumni, though maybe the porter would then have tested us with a college knowledge quiz or something to prove our worth... (Jools: I had my CAMcard, amazingly, but it only works in official visiting hours... which ended at 16:30. Hey, nice pace in the reps!)

So having vowed this would be a quality week, I doubled on slightly wrecked legs yesterday (in the morning because it was beautifully sunny and to free my stiff back, in the afternoon because it was still sunny and I really enjoyed the trip with Al, a novelty as I'm normally an utter training hermit). This morning I knew I'd not be on for a speedy MLR yet but tried some hills... and found my legs horribly cranky again. Not wanting to dig up any more spuds indeed with only 2.5 weeks to go, I binned out early (6.5M or so). Back to work tomorrow & Fri; I'll either cycle both ways tomorrow, or cycle in and run back. So having said I'd not be tapering until 2 weeks out, actually I think I've started. I still want to do a quality LR on Sunday though as that's worked nicely in the past.

• Options

CW - I would be more amazed to discover that you didn't have your camcard.  Needing to nip into one of the colleges to use the facilities would have been one of the multitude of possibilities that you cover every run!  Don't rule out a PB though, it may be that the emphasis on over-distance runs in recent years has taken the edge off your HMs.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

lol TR. I must have grown a few inches alright image

KD - I'm with TR. As I remember you run quite quickly relative to your MP. Slow down and you may find it all less painful.

Padams - nice!

Great stats Al_P. Looking good.

Nice reps Toro.

CW - I still wouldn't write a pb off. The extra miles could well be the difference (on both the HM count and pb chances).

Oh, the other thing the physio said yesterday is that there may actually be two discs that are/were prolapsed/bulging as the pain on the left is the one above the pain on the right. Either way it doesn't make a difference in terms of recovery/protocols, etc.

I'm done with lifting stuff now though; definitely hiring somebody to move me next time image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

bains - It would be nice to say hello in Birmingham, but you're not actually considering it are you?!

Padams - Fingers crossed the lurgy's behind you.  A bit of taper sharpening and you'll be in cracking shape.  What's the 10 miler, BTW?

Al_P - Serious weekly/monthly mileage!

After the disruption to normal weekly schedule over Easter I thought I might as well get back on track image with an interval session yesterday, even though I was a little creaky after Monday's 20 miler.  Thankfully the session was an ideal loosener, 10 x 400 with 200 very leisurely recovery.  It seemed the weather for a more Summer-shaped session, and indeed quite a few guys who I would normally beat over longer intervals gave it a right bit of welly and I was happy to sit in the middle of the group.  Still, cruisy-type intervals averaged 73s and I felt better after the session than before, so that was nice.  Spin + 10 miles for the day.

I'm on the wind down for National Relays on Saturday.  Promotion to the A team after the Southerns (yay!) and I'm handing over from our Irish international, Paul Pollock (62 mins HM), so no pressure!  An easy double today, 6.5 + 8, similar tomorrow and a spin on Friday should be the plan.

• Options

Jools, Nice reps there.

Al_P, top miles. Don't have to look far down the Fetch League Table to find you.

I had the excitement of a trip to Slough with work today. Each way took about the same time in the car as my planned 12M MLR tonight...

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - it's the Sandy 10, a bit up the A1 from here. Not done it before, but I think it's meant to be a fairly fast course. Well done on the promotion - I'm guessing you might have a chance of a medal?

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Ah, taper time approaches!   

Good repping from JoolsToro and Padams (hooray! Fingers crossed you're now able to get back to it properly - great session!)  

KD, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down with it.    

Al_P, that's an immense month.  Also saw your BAC session last week on Strava which looked like a cracker - with the taper, you're definitely on for sub 230 I think. Hope tonight goes well.  

TT - think you might be right re XT aggravating peroneal - I just took 3 days without any exercise (and with a lot of German cuisine) which I think helped and am going to stick to v easy swimming/pool running for a bit to avoid weight bearing... Glad you're done with the lifting.  Still managing to deal with the elliptical?!  

CW - I'm really excited to see how you get on.  Like TT, I reckon you're in with a PB shot...  

PP - cracking stuff.  MsPP will ace London.   

Splits - FWIW, I think I'm probably still on the newish runner improvement curve and have never really left everything out there in races (mission for the summer = race first 5k/10k and find my limits!) so I'm not really sure I've done enough to be able to generalise.  But whilst my PB in Berlin in the autumn was a bit over a 1 min +ve, by far the most fun I've had were my first marathon 3 1/2 years ago (only my second ever race) - 2:51 off something like 2.5min -ve (had clearly been over cautious but had no idea what to expect) and London last year, when I basically ran dead even (5 second -ve) but really relished SL's words that the Embankment feels amazing when you haven't burnt all your matches...  

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

So, Berlin trip meant a planned 2 days totally off exercise/totally on indulgence but I woke up yesterday and the peroneal was still a bit tight plus it was super cold outside so I thought it best to give it an extra 24 hours (I have a vague memory of posting an angsty message from the airport yesterday as I fell victim to the phantom fitness-loss worries - I get very twitchy when not exercising - sorry for that!).  

Anyway, tendons felt significantly better this morning so on with the running... A BAC-style sandwich session, fraction easier than that which Al_P has planned - 4.8m (2 of my set loops) / 5 x 1k off c80" / 4.8m.  As ever, first block far too quick (c5:27/m, slowing to c5:30/m for second half, perhaps a few seconds slower than that though depending on actual distance of loop).  Effort and HR definitely a signif bit over MP (ah, one day!).  Km reps all came out around 3:12-3:15.  Second block was tougher to keep cadence going/legs were a bit tired after the km reps (which is the point - get a bit of lactate in there, then try to hit pace again) - prob 5:33-34/m, though really had to up effort in last few mins to get that).  Best news = L peroneal (longstanding issue) nearly totally cleared up now (still tiny bit tight but totally unproblematic before, during and after).  R side a bit sore/stiff still but certainly nowhere near as bad as after my big LR on Saturday, so the time totally off clearly helped and will be sticking to non-weight bearing swimming/dull pool running rather than elliptical for my easy sessions.    

Not so much of a taper really planned given there's not much to cut back on - still aim for the running to be pushing MP/quicker to get max bang for my buck.  Key will be staying v closely attuned to what the tendons are doing...Really don't have a clue what to expect - I know I'm hitting some decent sessions but 3 runs / c40mpw is a bit novel...

Oh, and re taper fever, can I start the ball rolling on shoes?image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Lev - Another belter of a session.  You say the first section was too quick but you didn't slow down an awful lot for the last one.  Sub-2:30 there for the taking this time, surely.  Shoes: still no idea if I'm wearing freebies or providing my own.  Harrumph again!

Padams - Ugh! By strange coincidence, the words Sandy and ten make me shudder.  That was the venue for my first attempt at a 10,000m race on the track and the closest I've come to a DNF.  Realised about 3k in that my virus probably hadn't cleared up, sub-33 pace would not be sustainable, and that I was in for a 7k tempo death-slog.  Good luck, I'll follow with interest!

And according to the latest preview from England Athletics, we will "figure prominently" at the relays.  I can't tell you the official forecast, just in case one of the other teams helicopters in some dodgy Spaniards or something.  imageimage

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

good to see Padams rattling along again

Ls - hope you come good in time.

big miles there Al - P, I note your planned MP thsi Sunday, maybe I shoudl do a bit more in my last long run ?

Toro - put your shirt back on, and a base layer too, its a chance to get some warm weather training in (I still have hat and gloves too !).

well done to PP for making it into the A team, I hope they go there in the A team van !

5M, 2.2k, 5M. thats my last run commute done, I need to get on the 3min and 30sec reps now.

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Jools & PP - great interval sessions there

lev - If you think I'm on for a sub230 then you must be a shoe-in with BAC session paces like that!!!

On the subject of monster South coast based marathon session, I'm pleased to report that this evening's went rather well image Only me and one other BACer up the front tonight but that probably made it easier to dodgy the beer swilling, BBQing, pot smoking beach goers (lovely aromas as you run along the prom!). We only nearly collided with two children and a couple of dogs.... Scores on the door were 30mins@5:42/M then 4x5mins (5:23/5:30/5:21/5:28) finishing up with 30mins@5:45/M. So very happy to average MP across the two 30mins, despite a noticeable headwind on the return 15mins of each long interval and 5mins no.s 2 & 4. The second 30 should have been faster than the first, but we probably burnt ourselves a little too much on the short fast ones image

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

DanA - looking good for another sub 2.45 at Londonimage

Padams - looks like the sickness hasn't affected you too much

ES - good milage

CW - some inspiring long runs as ever. Looking forward to seeing what you're capable of on 26th - def. another sub 2.40.

CRAB - hope you make it to scuttle across the start line at VLM

DS2 - good to have another passenger on the sub 2.40 train

PP - awesome racing from team Pub

Al_P - glad the knee kniggle was resolved and you are back on song

----

RE split times... PB was 1:19:19 / 1:21:20 (+2:01 mins) for 2:40:39

First club session for a few weeks last night and have slipped well off the pace of the lead group, but still able to head up the group behind with 5.30-5.45 mile reps.

Thinking of doing a last long run with MP tomorrow as I'm taking the day off for my birthday. Do people think 16 miles with 10 @ MP should be ok to do this close to VLM? (I notice that Daniels suggests 19 with 15 @MP this week but P&D prescribes no MP in long runs for 4-5 weeks leading up to the mara.)

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Lev_ and Al_P - cracking sessions both!

And Jools, I forgot to comment on your reps earlier too - very nice!

Lev_ - glad to hear the peroneal is clearing up image I didn't do anything Monday (no time between Jr #1's first athletics meet and the bungee jump with the gym closing early), but 1hr yesterday and a 90min/45min double today should hopefully set up the rest of the week nicely. Starting to feel marginally fitter - I'm getting a few more rpm on 'my' machine for no noticeable extra effort, but still got masses of weight to shift and a long way to go.

PP - a well deserved promotionimage

• Options

12M MLR tonight was a tough, tough slog. Just about every muscle felt tight and I did not enjoy it at all. I reckon I have reached my limit, boy, do I need this taper! That's the last midweek longish run done anyway. A couple of easy days now will hopefully see me right.

Still some great training going on, shout outs to Al_P and Lev for quality sessions.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Lev and Al_P - both awesome sessions, sounds like you're both in top shape.

LS - nice mile reps. I woluld have thought 16 with 10 at MP should be OK, but maybe ease back a bit if the MP feels a bit too hard.

I feel very inferior now with just 11.5M steady. It was a very pleasant run though, perfect temperature, evening sun and all off-road. Legs felt better afterwards than before too, and I didn't cough too much afterwards.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

amazing sessions again Lev and Al_P.  And Padams at least you are getting over that cough now.

ES - nearly there now!

Nice reps Jools.

LS - i certainly hope so, since i did a half marathon with 10 at goal MP (or faster... see below) yesterday, have got a 20 planned for Saturday with last 5 at marathon effort (maybe - will see how i am feeling), and another medium one with 8-10 at MP next Weds planned.  then cotton wool!

so, i am starting to believe i will toe the line at VLM finally! As mentioned above not too much effort left now to get there.  Yesterday was my first proper solo MLR for this marathon ended with a half marathon in just under 1:25 (Fastest i have done solo in training).  2 mile warm up, then 10 miles in 62:40 and 1.1 mile to finish off the half marathon.  I did the 10 miles effort inside regents park as it was too busy on the paths on the outside, basically utilising their standard 2ish mile loop of the 10km race course.  its a little undulating so paces varied as one mile slightly up and one slightly down. Final mile of the 10 fastest in 6:04 (however mile 9 slowest in 6:30, and i was really blowing/pushing it for final mile). Pretty positive in that i completed the 10 miles, however the HR (and effort) were closer to half marathon than marathon and overall it doesn't compare that favourably to similar runs a similar time out from previous good marathons.  however i'll take the positives and hope the taper finds the HR/effort dropping or something.  Anyway it's another session done, without injury.  Calves and hammies feel on edge though so definitely some easy days again now before a long run, on Saturday i think this weekend due to family stuff.

• Options

taper taper taper woohoo! image

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

selbs - great effort 10 miles in a HM, looking good for VLM

padams - good steady MLR

PP - hope it goes well at the Nationals

-----

What a difference a day makes!

Managed to resist the temptation to run 43 miles on my 43rd birthday. Woke up early for my 16 miler. The 10 miles @ MP felt pretty good to a tagged on an extra one for luck.

Avg. pace of the 11 MP miles was 5.59 with a few in the 5.45-5.50 range. Feel very much like I'm back in the game, a real confidence boost. Maybe the high altitude running did actually help!

• Options

Hope you had a great Birthday Lukestur image great 10 @ MP certainly all the hill/strength training you have done will have helped

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

awesome run LS.  you are definitely back in the game there sub 240 looks almost nailed on in fact nice work and happy bday.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

LS - Great stuff!  So much about marathon prep is in the timing and this is a great time to nail a session.

DrD - Can I take it you've reached taper time feeling less broken than you were a few weeks ago?  Hope everything's good.

selbs - I sense hope in the air.  Happy pints in the Red Lion.  image

My 7.6M yesterday evening was very slow and very pleasant.  Just started running again with a relative newbie mate trying to build up, so 6 miles in the middle @ 8:59/m.  Suits me for an easy double day. 6.4M/7.0M planned for today.

• Options
    Rae2Rae2 ✭✭
    "TR wrote (see)
    Rae - let us know how it goes. What sort of mileage have you been doing. I can do ok at 1/2 mara off tri training but not marathons."
    I have only been doing between 30-50miles a week, generally on the lower end of that.  I swim 1-2 times and cycle for 5h a week too.  Nothing crazy but it has been working.  I was worried that my 10k time was a better Vdot than my HM time, but that changed last weekend, so I feel I should be ok for a sub3. Obviously there are no guarantees though, I hope it's not too warm.
  • Options

pp all good thanks some nice gut rot last week that meant slow interrupted miles image but good win on saturday at Bournemouth Easter Quarter marathon in 35 mins, great 22.5 miler in 2.22 Sunday and nice solo BAC sesh Tuesda (25mins 4x5, 25mins total 16.4 miles ave dead on 6mm) has lead me to believe I may win Londonimage 

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Went out for a 17 miler last night, but felt so slow & rubbish I bailed after only 2 miles, and was back home after 4.  In years gone by I would have completed the session and hated every minute of it, but have learned to listen to the body when it says it needs a rest.  Back to normal for this morning's run, so will just give the midweek MLR a miss and not try to play catch up.  No harm done.

Loving this change in the weather. Feels like we've earned it after a long long winter.

• Options
    bainspjbainspj ✭✭✭

PP – I am slightly tempted tbh, although am still only on standby depending on responses from others.  I have explained that I am not anywhere near fit and I kind of know it isn’t the “right” thing to do if I am aiming on pushing it hard, but I had hoped to do a tempo run at the weekend anyway so it’ll just be a bit of a training venture which will hopefully be completed on a largely anonymous leg late in the day when the team is far from the focus of the race!  We certainly are not in with a chance of a medal.   I do love the 12-stage …   Well done on your promotion to the A-team btw, what leg you on?.

Lev – that’s a monster session with some ridiculous paces.  I sure hope this marathon comes together for you.  Your commitment to XT deserves reward!  Being so uncertain of your full-race fitness how are you planning to determine your pace in the early miles?  Gamble and hope the fitness/strength is as good as it looks like it could be? or a more cautious approach?

TR – more good miles and a refreshingly positive/realistic outlook.  I’m excited to see the outcome of this one.

Al_P – impressive session.  Bang on pace for the first 30mins, then a tad outside for the second?  Could be the minor impact from so much running into the wind? 3s/m isn’t that much in reality.

LS – IMHO, it’s not too close as long as your legs are trashed before you start.  If that were the case a steady run would make more sense.  Oh, you’ve already done it… Great news.  And looks like it went good too!  Get the cotton wool out now!!

TT – glad to see things are progressing in the right direction.   Don’t know if you’d be interested (it seems like you already know your “winning formula”) but there are some interesting articles on competitor.com about how to lose weight like an athlete and while marathon training etc without compromising recovery/training.

ES  -well done on toughing it out.  It’s those runs that make the difference. 

Padams – glad that cough is sorting itself out.  It’s the most ridiculous (and I imagine frustrating) issue to be hampering your training!

Selbs – some real positives in there.   Guess it’s just important to know your limits for the big day with such a disturbed build up.

DrD – good to see its going well.

DanA  - definitely the right decision.  There is no point burning mental matches for standard steady miles.  What a great relaxed approach to be able to take.  Its almost as if you’ve already achieved your goal!?!

Just a steady 30 min cycle last night (in the garden, in the dark … weird) then a few miles steady at lunch time  today with a few strides thrown in to test whether tempo pace will be ok for Saturday.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

TT/CD/Lev -- looking back at my training in 2013 when I PBd, it does look sharper than now. But I've one last test in my planned Sunday session for comparison. We'll see! Take it easy on the back TT...

Nice reps PP. (I should have a keyboard shortcut for that, to save typing it every week...)

Lev, selbs -- looking good for miracle comebacks!

Al_P --- nice session, looking very good for the sub-2:30. (You were braver than me last week -- I only did 20 min not 30 min MP sections in my first BAC session.)

Luke -- I thought the 16 with 10@MP sounds fine this far out. And you nailed it, cracking. You're looking good for a big PB, surely.

DrD -- excellent.

Dan -- I've similarly shown discretion being the greater part etc this week. So yesterday I was shocked how cranky my legs felt (thoughts of overtraining pits of doom crossing my mind) and cut short a holiday hill session, and intended to cycle at least the home to work commute today. But my legs are improved now and once again I had a stiff back that loosens up when running but is less good cycling, so after a 1.3M test jog, I did a 7.3M run to work, with a 3.2kg* rucksack. Did a few elevated effort sections in it but nothing of note. I should have gone a bit further to make it a proper MLR, but left home a bit late, didn't want to arrive late on my first day back, and thought it best to err on the side of caution. Should be about 15M for the day, anyway.

*I paid for my OCD today... weighed my rucksack as it seemed particularly heavy, then entangled the electronic scales in the strap as I removed it... scales crashed to floor and now reporting an error. My errorimage