Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options

I nearly forgot it's this weekend. I was wondering where Steve was at the National Road Relays, d'uh! All the best, you're going to have a blinder! If I can find it on the tellybox I'll look out for that bright green vest. 

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    All the best Tom I know you will smash it tomorrow....
  • Options

Good luck Tom - hard yards are done. Stay focused, execute the plan and you will have a 2:xx:xx to savour for the rest of your life anytime a marathon is mentionned....sure you'll make this the first of many.  

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the French online tracking system... Very delayed.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Last I saw he was at 40k in 2:50 so a sub 3 looked imminent..

Just seen the finish times but id rather wait for Tom to tell us.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Looking at the event itself on Eurosport I can't help wonder if they put something funny in the free water.

There was an overhead shot of Place de la Bastille and with the number of people running across each other it looked like an episode of 'Its a Knockout.' 

Then they cut to the elite men doing a keystone cops routine at a drinks table. Bizarre.

• Options
    Tom eased through halfway in 1:27 but calf cramped badly at 18 and lots of stops and was fraction over 3 though averaged 6:50 miles. It was very warm and maybe a factor was three hours plus in cold day before doing the required photo shoots.
  • Options

Well, it's not just about the destination, it's about the journey. I missed my target by about 30 seconds when I was a Runner's World Super Sixer all those years ago, but now I'm a much stronger and faster runner (OK, not right now, but when I'm not suffering from a freak accident injury). I'm sure Tom will be a little disappointed right now, but there's so much to take away from this, and he'll nail it next time with the pressure off.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Absolutely speedy!

Amazing to get so close with the calf cramping like that. Great determinatiin just to finish. Superstar performance in my eyes Tom!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    I think Tom did extremely well. To knock 31 min of his PB is an amazing achiement. Did you run Steve?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

31 min PB?! I must have missed that as I'd not read all the introductory blurb. That's outstanding.

• Options

Hi All. Absolutely gutted to have run 3:00:11....

At mile 18 I was feeling great and started thinking about kicking down to 6:15 pace from mile 20 - 26, but out of nowhere I started cramping in both calves which spread to my hamstrings. I honestly didn't think I'd finish around mile 21, but dug deeper than I thought was possible to continue. I think I was forced to stop 6-8 times to stretch.  

Not really sure why it happened, especially as I haven't had direct cramping issues at all over the past 16 weeks training. I don't want to look for excuses as they won't change anything but the heat can't have helped. It certainly felt warmer than 19 degrees out there. 

To average 6:50 pace and still not run sub-3 is pretty hard to take, and I feel like I've let a lot of people down including Steve. 

I'm already thinking about when it may be possible to do another to try and shave of 12 secs +. In a strange way, today has given me the confidence of running close to 2:45 should I have a problem free run. BUT, I'm not even a sub-3 runner and still need to achieve that first. 

On a more positive note, Saffamark spotted me around mile 2 and came to say hi before disappearing ahead at a rather daunting pace. Mark, nice to meet you and I hope you fared better than myself?

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Tom, again what an amazing performance... Glad to see you are already looking to shave 12s off. Possibly an autumn race.. For now, enjoy a well earned PB..
  • Options

Gutted for you to get so close Tom....but I'm positive you'll knock that 12 seconds off (and a whole lot more!) next time you run a marathon. And don't be too hard on yourself as it's still an amazing time, even more so after having to really tough it out from mile 20. 

Huge well done, hope all your future running dreams come true image

• Options

Tom considering all that to get so close to 3 was a brilliant run!!! You'll def do it next time. I'm sure the heat plays its part as it has just got warmer. It's just one of the many factors that can happen to the best in a marathon. Enjoy the pb 31mins is still very impressive ????

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

superb run under the circumstances Tom. If you can deal with the unexpected on top of the heat and humidity you'll smash three hours in a well chosen autumn race. 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hard luck Tom, so close. I'm sure all on here would agree you've done a great job with the forum and on a good day you will clearly obliterate 3 hours. Chalk it up as just one of them things and nail it next time.

• Options
    DeasyDeasy ✭✭✭
    That's a brilliant time and a great effort,well done to have the guts to keep going and you'll smash it next time.
  • Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Well done Tom under the circumstances.  Once the dust has settled you'll be able to take all the positives from the past 4 months and you are a dead cert to break 3 hours in the not-too distant future (and probably sub 2:50 as wellimage). 

• Options

What an amazing performance Tom to take such a huge chunk off your PB; totally understandable that you're gutted to just miss the sub3 though... You've not let anyone down so don't be thinking like that!

Great attitude to have and a real credit to you to be thinking about the next marathon already... I'm certain with cooler conditions that you're totally right and could get closer to a sub2:45 marathon! I hope that you're able to put aside the disappointment and celebrate your PB success tonight... image

• Options

That's tough Tom, but very few people would get anywhere near a 31 minute PB and there is no doubt you know "how" to do it. Next time.....  

• Options

It was a great effort by Tom and he certainly didn't let anyone down -he gave 100 per cent and the cramp was one of those things - 2:45  is achievable in better conditions and cramp-free within the next year or so. 

• Options

Firstly, well done on a massive 31 minute PB Tom - we all know how hard you have trained and how much effort you have put in to this. Don't feel like you have let anyone down! I'm sure next time it will be another PB and sub 3 by a good chunk.

There can't be any negatives from today only positive. Good luck with your next attempt.

• Options
    Very unlucky Tom. Conditions clearly against you today and you did phenomenally well to finish. I hope you can focus on the positives in the next few days and look forward to smashing sub 3 in favourable conditions. Your target was 10,799 secs; you did 10,811. That's still an A* performance.

I was taken out by a couple of boisterous dogs today. Ran into me from behind. First thing I knew of it was when I was on my back, swearing. Spent most of the afternoon being patched up but hopefully no serious problems - just bruising and gashes. Good news is that I managed to pause my garmin within a couple of secs of hitting the deck!
  • Options

Tom great run well done its a big PB for you and make no mistake the sub 3 will come in your next marathon.

For anyone doing London hard to believe less than 2 weeks to go now image 

• Options

Have followed your progress across your whole training Tom and still feel very inspired. Have learnt a lot and been massively impressed by your dedication and commitment. 

You've motivated me and I'm sure plenty of others to go on there own 'sub-3 journeys' and you'll unquestionably get there in the end. Your story just illustrates how tough a target sub-3 is and how so many things have to fall into place on the day for it to happen.

But then if it was easy and everyone just sailed through then where would be the fun and challenge in that? You'll be back and you'll be physically and a whole lot mentally more tough for the next one.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Tom, I've been lurking rather than posting, but have de-lurked to say well done.  I know at the moment you don't feel you have done well, but hopefully you will realise that you have: smashed your pbs at *every* distance, including the marathon.  I know how frustrating it can be to miss the sub-3 barrier when you are in shape to smash it (failing to break 3 hours became a bit of a speciality of mine), but believe me, the failed attempts simply make the ultimate success so much sweeter (because it is a question of when you break 3 hours and by how much, not if you will break 3 hours).  Recover well and then maybe pick an autumn marathon to capitalise on the endurance work you've done this spring.

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Well done Tom - I can understand your frustration. You work so hard and then BOOM - something happens to derail it all.

Still - you achieved a cracking time! A time I can only dream of.

Well done - don't dwell on it. It may eat you up for a while (it did with me) but once you do the next one or start training for the next one those feelings will go.

Well done again.

GJE