Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

1303132333436»

Comments

• Options

RunnerManSam & Mike. Congrats to you both. Fantastic running. 

• Options

A tough day at the office Steve and frustrating with the great half marathon time you got in the lead up to London. I'm sure most people probably would't have been on the starting line let alone finishing. Hopefully next year will be better.

• Options

Thanks KR

Roundman - to me the principles of training remain pretty much the same whether you are trying to run 2:45 or 3:00 or even 4:00.

To run 2:45 having run 3:00 you need to improve almost 10% so you could pretty much do the same schedule but aim to go 5-10% longer on your runs or 5-10% faster

ie if it says 15 miles do 16-17 miles. if it says run 8:00 for slow recovery runs, run 7:30s and instead of doing 10 x800 in 2:55, aim for 2:45-2:50.

You need slightly more miles and at a slightly faster pace and quicker reps and races but the basic schedules can fundamentally remain the same and if worked to break 3:00, then a year stronger, with a slight increase in fitness and pace, it should work for 2:50.

I'm fairly sure the only difference between when I was running sub 2:30 and now I'm more in 3:00 shape is that it was originally slightly faster and further and I was quicker because I was younger but the basic training and principles remain the same.

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve - that's really helpful
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

I was wondering how to adapt a sub 3 training plan to help me edge towards a sub 2:50 race... Thanks Steve.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I agree with that advice.  I've used the same basic schedule (P&D's up to 70 mpw) for my last 3 marathons and run 2.59, 2.52, 2.49 (thankfully in that order...).  The long/steady runs are probably a fraction quicker now than they used to be and the VO2 max work is definitely quicker, but the structure remains the same (long run, 1 or 2 medium long runs, shorter steady runs and strides/VO2 max intervals/tempo run).  Any further improvements will have to come through quality work not quantity as I don't have time for more than 70mpw unless the steady runs get a lot quicker!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Wow 70 mpw...I struggled with 40mpw for my last race...
  • Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    2:49 is a great time Joolska - sub 2:45 next time?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

There or thereabouts would be my current thinking, but there's 6 months to make that decision!

Iain: I built up to it over the years.  Some people need a fair bit of volume training-wise and I'm one of them.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Jooska, if that's the results from volume training then I'll try increase my weekly mileage. I ran a 2:58 on 30 mpw so just imagine what a 70 mpw could do..

• Options

Tom - a great story and a huge improvement for a new PB. 11 seconds is perhaps annoying but I bet you will go from strength to strength now.

Your summary under 'strategy' was pretty much parallel to mine in the recent London Marathon (my 2nd marathon), but I was one hour and 43 seconds behind you!

I would like to break 4hrs and can do 15 x 8 min miles in training but the extra 11 miles seem to trip me up a little even when aiming for and keeping to 8 min 35 secs pace per mile. 

Good luck in the next one!

• Options
    Tom, it's been great following your Paris marathon journey from start to finish. Just reiterating others comments that you'll smash your 3hrs in next marathon.

Personally I have been following the same sub-3 plan (starting from week 5 onwards) but only running on 4days/wk and peaked at 59 miles. Ran Manchester, overdid my pacing between miles 13-16 and ended with 3:03:50. Although enough for GFA I still think sub-3 should've been for the taking so I entered Edinburgh, two days before entry closed. Have you decided to run Edinburgh out of curiosity?
  • Options

Goo Man - thanks for your note and sorry you missed 4hrs by such a close margin. I feel your frustration! Did you follow Amy's sub-4 forum at all?

• Options

PB Chaser Ray - delighted you enjoyed the thread. Again, sorry you just missed 3hrs but hopefully you're able to put that right in Edinburgh! 

I entered Edinburgh a few days after Paris, but my foot injury didn't clear up as I expected it to. After a few weeks of walking around (very slowly) in pain I bit the bullet and took myself for a scan. It turns out I'd damaged my peroneal ligament and spent a few days on crutches to relieve all pressure on the foot. It's now cleared up, but only just managed my first run back. A month without running and my fitness has deserted me so Edinburgh is definitely off the cards. 

Frustrating, but I'm going to focus on speed over the summer and then target another spring marathon next year. 

• Options
    Sorry to hear but at least you had it diagnosed and now on the mend. Yes, it's track season coming up so speed is the way forward. Definitely something I will also be focusing on too, after this weekend in Edinburg, with maybe a few 1500m/3000m races lined up!

Did 12x200m yesterday in 40 secs/rep as per schedule. Feeling great and quitely confident I've got this.
  • Options

I just found this thread and wondered whether there's now an autumn marathon version I can contribute to - or can we carry on the conversation here?

• Options
    Scott DScott D ✭✭✭

I just found out that I didn't get into London like so many others.

I am considering entering Manchester and going for a GFA time of 3:05 (Male Senior).

I did my first Marathon in April and it Paris, with a time of 3:29.  My training was not ideal and I had to contend with ITB injuries and a foot injury.  On the day I felt like I was on for a 3:15 - 3:20 but sufferred cramp at mile 17. 

I feel like I can learn from that experience and train better (not necessarily harder, but more wisely).

My HM time during my marathon training was 1:33

I have improved quite significantly since Paris with an 18:42 5k time (which, if I'm honest, I think I can improve on as I wasn't feeling 100%), I did a HM 2 weeks ago in 1:27 and a 10m last week in 1:05. 

Do I have a good chance at this rate of progress of achieving a GFA time in Manchester Marathon next year?