Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    5th rejection on the run for me today. Didn't even get SpiderManned... It was an email ezine rejection

Kind of relieved as its 3 weeks after Paris and 5 weeks before Liverpool (and with Leeds Half in the mix too). Much better chance of recovery with 8 weeks in between ... Not quite sure on training plan for Liverpool though ... Ie do I need to do another 20 miler 3-4 weeks out?

I did run VLM in 2012 first ballot rejection and ended up raising 5000 pounds to run it for charity instead ... I think I used all my favours up with that one. Can be a lot of pressure to raise money for London especially as I didn't get the place confirmed until end December. It did add to the excitement though in the build up and a great cause but I'd feel awkward going cap in hand again especially when so many others are fundraising at the same time.

I'm on countdown now for my next marathon in York next Sunday ... Feeling a little unprepared with only one 20 miler given summer holidays and other races.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't be soing more than maybe 15-16 miles, Andy. Reverse taper into a taper or some-such; but that's my tuppenceworth. Good luck for York, be sure to report back!

Nodster - the Phoenix thing makes a bit more sense, but it makes me sad!

HIAHS - why can't go for NY?! I'll chance ballot there if I can...want to earn Chicago on GFA for 2017 now, hence asking for flat autumn marathons earlier!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I was rejected by London, but am in fro New York next year so that's ok.   I'm all for the charity route option - I see no issue with it.

• Options

Meadower - cost mainly because the tours are ridiculous and you can't do a charity because they are all American ones (which is more than fair enough obviously). I'm pretty sure I've entered the ballot twice for it and not even got a rejection email or any kind of correspondence back, I think you have a very slim chance as a non-national anyway don't you?

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

I got my GFA for London - but couldn't pay for the entry as was abroad and aparently Apple devices couldn't operate the javascript payment system so the entry was null and void image

Hence Paris gets the go ahead .... London is great as a one off but it gives you a good excuse to travel to other places if you don't get in. 

Its not a great marathon for your support crew either! 

• Options

Banksy that's a real shame but you really won't regret doing Paris!  

Foggy run this morning and thought I was going to bail after only 1.26 miles in, got a big sweat on, legs went wobbley and thought I was going to pass out! Think I had gone out too soon after breakfast as normally wait an hour, anyway after a sit down on the grass verge and loosing the breakfast all was well! 

Turned out to be a pretty good run, at last running pain free no pain in piriformis and hamstrings so will take it as a win!  Seems the physio and excercises are paying off. Have a good day all image

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Good stuff Heather - going to try incorporating a session that is flexibility specific this campaign - ie 3 mile warm up and an hour of stretching.....  the top physios are recommending this! How many runners actually do this? Maybe 1%? image

Swimming a few times a week is helping to keep things balanced and the core stronger too I think. Training will become more run specific in the new year. Aiming to hover around the 30 miles a week mark up until then.

• Options
    Pain free that's great news HeatherS hope the piriformis gremlin stays away!!

Good job on getting in on London jimbob!

Tis a no no mag for London for me!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

AndyW I used a Hal Higdon plan when I last did the Paris/Liverpool marathons. 

He has several that are different depending upon the time between. 

It does include a 20 in the 8 week plan

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Orbutt ... I'll give it some thought
  • Options
    I ran a 1:38:56 PB in the Glasgow half.Once again my heart rate was way higher than in training.i can't put my finger on it.I thought it was due to lack of sleep and maybe too much caffeine the day before,but I never had any caffeine drinks in the lead up to the race and I slept better than I do for marathons.

Today my HR average was 190bpm,with a max of 200bpm.My HR was in the high 180s for the full race.my breathing did feel a bit heavy in the first few miles but it did settle.I kept pushing as hard as I could an even ran the last couple of miles at close to 7:00min miles.I defo couldn't have done it any quicker.

To put those HR into prospective,I did a 9 mile run 2 weeks ago at the same pace as today with average of 180bpm.My 18 mile run last Friday was 9:00min miles at 160bpm average.

Any body any ideas what could be causing the high race day HR.I could understand the 2 marathons being a bit high due to nerves etc but I wasn't worried about doing a half
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Well done on the PB Jokeybhoy!

From reading that if I'm correct your heart rate seems to be about right. If you ran a 9 mile training run in at 7 m/m pace and had an average HR of 180 than that sounds close to your half HR . Possibly the adrenaline of it being a race could notch up it up a few beats.

Your HR of 160 was run at a pace almost 2 minutes a mile slower, even though it was over a longer distance. Running at a steadier pace will keep the HR lower than racing.

• Options

PARIS 2016 list

Preferential pen (speed of light):
    510 – The Jimbob

Red pen (3hr):
    3575 – Sunnysider Phil
    4465 – Heroine in a Half Shell
    4513 – Mr HIAHS
    4824 – Banksy7
    5946 - KennyM

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9290 – Andy-W
    9090 – Steve Duffy 2
    11845 - Boquito
    12471 – Your Pace or Mine

Blue Pen (3:30):
    16621 – Nodster
    18256 – LloydR
    21484 – Carl D
    ??????? – Kenno
    ??????? - Stuchbury

Purple pen (3:45):
    29410 – Orbutt
    29546 – ThisIsNatty
    29611 – E mmy
    29639 – PC
    29707 – Onetit
    30515 – Mattleydon
    30667 – Pistol101
    30776 - Whiskybob
    31858 – KeyserSuze
    33204 – Quinn the Eskimo
    43575 – NGUG

Green pen (4hr):
    44484 - AspirantRunner
    45575 – Magna Carter
    48297 - Reflekting

Grey pen (4:15):
    57428 – Nells
    57140 - HeatherS
    58736 – Mr KeyserSuze
    59954 – Goinglong

Pink pen (4:30+):
    65227 – Penny71
    65540 – Betzza
    66499 – Loulou
    67176 - Loubella
    67288 – Karen Bowman 2
    67356 – Ness2
    68001 -  Wendy Dibble
    68656 – Julie-Marie
    69152 – Hayley Bennett2
    69321 – Littlelau1
    65211RunClaire

Unknown pen/number:

LeggyMountbatten
    Lisa123
    Orapidrun (hurry up and enter!!)
    Pottermoss
    Penny71
    Douglas

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Options

Hi all. I have just signed up Paris as my 1st marathon. Eeek! I will be in the pink pen. I would love some advise on what sort of weekly milage I should be up to by Christmas time. I was then thinking of following this training plan http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

My plan is sub 5hrs having completed 10k's in an hour and a half in 2:15.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tired legs welcome to the thread!

I think what weekly mileage you want to do depends on how often you currently run and what mileage you'd currently hit. Personally I like to be at a stage were I'm finding the week one mileage to be nothing out of the ordinary. Looking at week one of that plan that would mean you building up to 19 miles.

The main thing is to hit the start of training injury free. You have a long time to build up your fitness during the training. Don't worry over what you should be doing pre-training.

• Options

Thanks Eggyh73.

Do you think with the plan I have selected and my previous times (that I have to admit to not training too well for) that I should do sub 5?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

To be honest for your first marathon I wouldn't get too focused on time. Your half and 10km times certainly suggests that a sub-5 run would be possible, but the first marathon for anyone is a learning experience. I was over 5 hours for my first marathon. Although I did start from zero running to marathon in four months! I also seem to remember it was going to be my first and only one. image

I'm sure if you follow that plan you'll get around no problem. Just remember to try and enjoy it. It's a great race in a wonderful city.

• Options
    Eggy:Cheers bud,the 9 mile run was at the same pace as my half marathon yesterday.It might have something to do with adrenaline on the day.Even tho I feel normal it could be having an effect.Thats the last 4 races now that ive felt heavy breathing for the 1st few miles.It can't have much to do with sleep Cos I normally do my LSR on a Friday morning after only a few hours sleep having come off the Thursday night shift.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Welcome Tired Legs - you'll get loads of great advice here

Jokeboy - I think Eggy is right - race day adrenalin.  It's not necessarily nervousness - it might be excitement too.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Out of breath early on could be due to starting from cold. There can be a lot of hanging around before a race, which isn't something you'd be doing before a training run. Also that hill at the start of the Glasgow Half is good at knocking the wind out you before you've really got warmed up.

I'm certain the first mile of that race is my slowest of the race every time due to the hill before the legs have really got going. I've found I'm normally about mile two in that one before I settle into a rhythm.

• Options

Well done Jokeybhoy, nice PB. I know what you mean about the hill on St. Vincent Street, the worst part for me is having to look up at it the whole time you're waiting to start!

Conditions were perfect for running in Glasgow yesterday, I got a shiny PB as well, just a pity that 16 seconds quicker would have qualified me for New York marathon through GFA. Still, a PB is a PB...................

Meadower - a great time for you yesterday as well (especially one week after running a marathon). We really must stop meeting like this, I mean what are the chances?

• Options

I've just signed up for Paris 2016, it will be my third marathon and first outside the UK. I'm very excited!

Is the support along the course good? It was great when I did the Yorkshire marathon and it really helped me along.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the thread robH4.

The support along the course is busy at points, quieter at others. For the most part it's fairly busy, but if you look at a map of the course you'll see there are two parks you run through and the support is noticeably thinner in those areas.

• Options
    Eggy/Danni:I kind of obsess over the HR side of things.I think it's cause I'm under the impression that the higher my HR is the quicker I'll burn through those valuable energy resources.It just feels weird when my HR is sky high and I'm struggling with the pace yet I'm supposed to be refreshed and raring to go.

Rodeoflip:16 seconds is really unlucky.I last run the Glasgow half 4 years ago.The route has changed slightly since then.I was surprised at the amount of hills early on in the race,that 1st hill takes a bit of recovering from,I guess it's better doing it in the 1st half mile than the final half mile.im in constant awe at the likes of Medower and Eggy,how they can go and knock out half PB's so soon after marathons etc.Im sure eggy did it only 2 days after a 20 mile run.I did 18 miles 2 Friday's ago and couldn't run properly til the middle of the week.
  • Options

Thanks Eggyh73, the route looks great - I suppose a bit of shade under the trees will probably be appreciated!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jokeybhoy - My half PB at Dunoon came two days after an 18 mile training run. When I ran my first PB of the year at the Loch Katrine half I'd ran a 20 mile training run three days before.

I don't know if its just luck or I'm doing something right, but I recover very quickly from long training runs as long as I've kept an easy pace during them.

I think I also benefit from being an idiot and having a get yer legs shiftin' ya big eejit mentality as soon as that start gun goes. I don't clock watch, check HR, or anything else during a race of that distance. I ran three halfs this year and ran three PB's. Not once in any of those races did I check my pace or look at my watch to see what sort of time I was on for. The only on of the three halfs I had an idea of what time I would be around was Dundee, and that was because I knew what sort of time I should be posting over that distance and I knew I'd been pushing hard during the run.

• Options

HIAHS - Ah, gotcha.  NY is expensive, and the Disney trip in January doesn't help!  I'll ballot anyway if I can; the odds can't be massively worse than London, right? image

Rodeoflip - Cheers!  I was pleasantly surprised with it. Good to see you again; in fields that size I'd say the odds are remote, even if we were going for similar times.  Gutting to be so close to the qualifying standard but I hope the PB's still a solid consolation on a course that doesn't go hand-in-hand with really quick times.

Congrats on your PB too, Jokey.  I'd concur with the excitement of the race contributing to the HR as well, but I don't actually measure it myself.  Plenty of data to keep me happy without throwing that in the mix!

Welcome aboard, Tired Legs & rob.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tired Legs & robH4- welcome image 

Post your pen & bib number and the marvellous list fairy will add you to the ever growing list. 

Tired Legs. As Eggy said, don't make a target time the be all and end all of your race. I've done that and blown up badly during the second half. However, the McMillan calculator reckons that with a half time of 2:15 you should be able to complete a sub 5 marathon with time to spare. The Hal Higdon plans are good and he's got lots of people who swear by him. The only thing I would say is, looking at that plan, it's got Tues, Weds, Thurs & Sat as running days. I'd be inclined to not run three consecutive days. Maybe Tues, Weds, Fri & Sun. Remember plans can be changed to fit how you want to train. 

robH4 - most marathons have quiet bits and the woods in Paris are generally a fair bit quieter than the streets. The streets are pretty amazing though. Not as amazing as London but really good. The second set of woods is affectionately known as the 'Woods of Death' as these are towards the end, where you're feeling your worst and could do with a real lift. Lots of people death march through here and I've done it myself. 

• Options
    Eggy:I was close enough,a PB 2-3 after any long run is quite remarkable.

Medower:cheers and well done to yourself.You could always follow my plan for New York.Apply for the ballot,if you are successful,defer til the following year.It will cost you 2 sets of fees but it should still work out cheaper than the tour operators.