Options

Sub 3:30 Gingermagic: #Irunsuccess

Comments

• Options

Really well executed, Ginger image  You must feel pretty pleased.

I think I may well copy this for one of my medium long mid-week runs in the marathon build-up. The tend to get a bit boring after a while and I'm always on the lookout for new strategies to spice them up a bit. This one is just the business image

• Options

Thank you. I'm still congratulating myself Chickstaimage I agree its a great plan, the last few miles being great fun and great for the confidence!

Angela, I've decided to do a good stretching session instead tonight as a reward! With a bit of time on the foam roller as well.

• Options

Well done GM you certainly nailed Angelas plan on Sunday, with a good strong finish. This sets you up for the next few months to push onwards & upwards.

• Options

Cheers! Exactly Sean. I've taken a lot from Sundays run. Looking forward to getting out tonight. Really enjoying my running right now!

• Options

GM - Be careful if your out tonight, absolutely horrendous weather here on the south coast this afternoon. Glad I got today's run in this morning.

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

GM – super sunday end to a strong week.  Ticked that box and now onto week 3. Looks as though you’ve got a good amount of easy running to keep building up the endurance.  Hope it keeps going well for you.

Malcs – sick notes all round. Fingers crossed for this week

Gower trail HM on Saturday was wet & windy but good fun.  Took 2.5hrs in total so a long muddy slog.  Fell over 3 times, none serious.  1 fall was when I was sneaking off into some bushes for a pee - fairly embarrassing. My trail shoes started the day pretty worse for wear (not much grip & some holes in the sides) and they suffered badly during the race so ended up in the bin after the race.  Quads still sore today but hopefully I’ll manage a slow trot this evening.  Nothing major from abdominal probs (or at least overshadowed by quads) which is good news. Hoping to have a proper go at Battersea park 10k this coming Saturday assuming legs feel more normal by then.

• Options

Sean, your right it is horrendous! That made Sundays wind look like a gentle breeze. Got a few strange looks from people struggling to walk through it.

Ruffles, Sense thank you. Yes almost exactly to plan so I was really pleased and the running just gets easier. Sounds like a tough run Sense but glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like my kind of run! image At least you weren't peeing when you fell, that would've been more embarrassing. 

4 windy easy miles tonight. No problems at all and not feeling any ill effects from Sunday. The stretching session as well has left me DOMS free tonight for once as well. Lets hope this wind eases for tomorrow! 

• Options

Bit quiet on here today.  I hope everyone and their properties survived the storm ok?

I've got a very busy Friday ahead, but looking forward to meeting GM for his 'Store Day' aka the I Run Success Running Technique Workshop.

Here I will give him, and 3 others, a biomechanics check to highlight any potential problem areas, a video analysis of how he runs naturally, and if there is anything obvious to fix, then drills to correct this.  Finally, he will be given guidance on strength exercises to ensure correct form.  

After the workshop he'll be sent his videos and a more thorough analysis of any issues with his form that can be addressed and the drills that are relevant to improve these.  The idea is that the improvements he makes will give him extra speed independent of gains in cardiovascular fitness, because he'll become more efficient.

• Options

Ah, Store day!!! image 

Really looking forward to it Angela! I've never really had this analysed before or even any comments passed on how I run, so its going to be really interesting.

Easy 7 miles done last night. Still quite windy here in The Fens! 

• Options

GM - sounds like a good store day ahead of you image

I'm taking things pretty easy this week, ahead of the Norwich HM on Sunday.  Thankfully the forecast for Sunday looks OK - pretty chilly which is fine, and the wind looks like it should have died down by then.  I did do a short tempo session on Tuesday, but nothing more until a few easy miles on Saturday and then the race.

Angela - it looks like I completely cocked up Great Bentley and haven't entered it after all image.  I was doing a whole load of entries at the same time and could have sworn I did that one, but I am not on the list and have no confirmation email!  I know they allow transfers so if you know of anyone who ends up pulling out let me know!

• Options

Freemers, I will see what I can do.  I'm friends with a lot of GBRC (I think they want me to join)... so will get you sorted out hopefully image x

I feel abyssmally prepared for Norwich - since dodgy foot, I was ready to run again then struck down with a sinus infection that left me feeling pretty awful for the last week - just started feeling better yesterday, so at least I will race, but haven't done the tune up speed work I was hoping to do... 

I wonder if its a curse of being a coach? Seem to remember both Sam and Steve getting pretty bad injuries in their years doing the comp...

• Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

GM - enjoy the sunday 15m - gradually getting towards proper marathon long runs, which must be good for confidence.  how are things going on the booze & unhealthy snacks front?

Angela - good luck at Norwich - hope the race goes better than the build up.

And both of you, I hope tomorrow goes well.  hopefully GM will get some potential free performance gains on the biomechanics side of things. 

I've been experimenting with a little & often approach to training this week - so have run the last 4 days, but only 3m or so each time & all slow.  want to see if I can do a bit more running on consecutive days.  Will have a go at Battersea park 10k race tomorrow - plan is to go out fairly hard & see what happens

• Options

Hi Sense, I'm looking forward to the 15 on Sunday. These are my favourite runs, just getting out there with the headphones on playing some mellow tunes. Absolutely love it. The diet thing started really well although its slipped a little from the first week. I am making healthier choices generally though. I need to get my head into the book I bought, 'Racing weight'. I've some comments in the last week that I'm looking slimmer so I'm pleased. Good luck with the 10k tomorrow then mate, a few more weeks hopefully and you'll be able to start thinking about Spring marathons!? image

Really excited Freemers! Hopefully Angela can sort you out a place at the half, be good to meet you.image Good luck for Sunday, looking forward to hearing how you got on.

Angela, I switched yesterdays run to today. I got back from a long day at work yesterday and just felt completely drained. It wouldn't have been pleasant I think. So I did my 5 easy miles earlier and the strength work I'm going to do shortly. No issues from tonights run. I've got to say though I'm really looking forward to doing speedwork again! I'll see you tomorrow, cant wait! image

https://www.strava.com/activities/436123307

• Options
    Good luck today GM- looking forward to hearing about your day out... Forcing myself to brave Parkrun this morning - 5k is more than enough with a large dose of man flu!
  • Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

cold this morning, at least for us southerners who aren't used to it!

made it to the 10k, though was snowing during registration so have to confess to having more than a few second thoughts about whether I'd rather be in bed.  Started off around pb (40.45) pace to see what happened.  Unsurprisingly after 3-4k that felt pretty tough and I slowed all the way to the finish.  Finished in 41.59 (haven't yet got official result but think that's what they called out as I crossed line).  Will be happy if I have sneaked under 42 as I knew it was going to be close from around 7k mark. Splits 6.31, 6.30, 6.39, 6.46, 6.48, 6.51 so almost a perfectly executed royal flush positive split!  average HR (165) was bit lower than I'd expect for a 10k but not by a lot & suspect it might have something to do with the early start & relatively cold weather.  no complaints and hopefully a worthwhile training exercise.

• Options
    Well that was a cold one! Heavy rain / sleet before the start meant we were all wet and freezing cold on the start line in Norwich. Thankfully it did stop but the temperature never rose much and there was a bit of a biting wind at times. Plus it was a different course this year and they seem to have found some hills in Norfolk!

Overall I felt OK in the run - running around 7.10-7.20 pace mostly, apart from the hilly sections. Finished in 1.35.48. Not my best but better than most Norwich HMs I've done so pretty happy overall.

I'd found Angela after a mile or so and we had a quick chat then. We also met up after the end - great to meet you image
  • Options

Freemers, well done at Norwich! Great time considering the conditions and also that Norwich isn't exactly the quickest half. Especially if they've added more hills to the route. Good to hear you got to meet Angela as well!

Sense, good running as well mate considering you've not been at your best! Kudos to you for getting out there in that minging weather. 

Charles, how was your XC today? Had a look on Strava. My day yesterday was fantastic, really informative and great to meet the coach! I'll do a proper write up tomorrow explaining what we discovered about my running style!

I went out and did my 15 easy miles this afternoon. I was up early with the intention of getting out there first thing but I looked out the window and thought, nah. It was still chilly when I went out and this was my first run of the season in my tights! I did an out and back along the Great Ouse and the River Lark for the most part of my run. The arm of the River Lark was a wee bit tricky underfoot so it slowed me down a touch. A really nice run though and feeling stronger all the time. I could've knocked out a few more miles at the end without too much trouble I think.

That's three quite solid weeks done now, I'm getting there! Here's the link for todays run if you fancy a look.

https://www.strava.com/activities/437482056

• Options

Evening everyone, don't blame you GM it was pretty parky this morning here but reasonably mild in the afternoon.

Yesterday I went to watch mrs p at Conwy half, shocking weather in the morning but it got quite pleasant by the tine the race started.

I have just got back from seeing the consultant, and he was jolly pleased that the mri scan bore outhis possible diagnosis of Pubic Symphisis (?). I'm afraid the prognosis isn't good for long term marathon running, he recommended at least another four weeks rest before some physio and non impact excercise then perhaps some light short runs. it is extremely disappointing to say the least image

• Options
    My 100th parkrun this weekend, of which 2/3's were done pushing a buggy around an undulating course. The weather was cold and the winds strong and Arctic. Despite recovering from Abbey Dash the previous weekend and a virus through the week, I managed to squeeze out a 21:31. Not a buggy PB, but not too far off. Celebrated with some great people. I love parkrun.

Well done GM and keep up the good work Angela. Gripping reading this.
  • Options
    Sorry Mr Puffy, not good reading there.
  • Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

GM - super sunday, and another good week. all seems to be going very smoothly.  well done

Mr p - from a quick consultation with dr google, that sounds no good at all. very sorry to hear. hope they get you on the move again in some way sooner rather than later

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sorry, been a bit hectic round here. Before I knew it a week has gone by. 

Mr P - that's a real bummer. I guess you at least have an answer now though. Why is the prognosis for long term marathon running not good? Don't rely on just one opinion, surely you can get this fixed and be back running distance again in not too long?

I know it's disappointing but please don't let someone else tell you what you can't do!

Congrats on the parkrun Hans and well done on your 10K Sense too!

Things are looking very good for you Freemers, that was a very solid half on Sunday.

Hope your race went well Angela and that you are feeling a bit better. 

GM - three solid weeks done already, nice one! Keep taking it nice and steady. To be able to rattle out 15 at this early stage in proceedings is excellent. Just don't peak too early now! image

PS. how did 'store day' go? Did I miss the report? image 

It was 7 weeks ago today when I picked up the foot injury. Can't believe how time flies. Gradual easing of symptoms as each day goes by. I've just decided to keep resting this week and see how I am at the weekend. What's one more week eh?

• Options

Mr P. Really sorry to hear that, at least you know what the issue is now though. As Malcs says there'll be another consultant out there who would offer a different outlook on things. 

Hans, great running! Thats a nippy time for pushing a buggy, I'd struggle to achieve that right now buggy-less! I did the abbey dash last year, great for PB's. Although I was suffering a bit when I ran it last year as well. It's all going well so far Sense, we'll see how I get on when things get a bit more challenging! 

Malcs, thanks. Yes, 3 good weeks now. Very pleased with how its going and I feel that the consistent strength work is really working well for me. You haven't missed the 'store day' report I will get that on there later. Very hectic times at work at the moment. Totally agree about the foot. Hope you're able to knock out a trouble free run at the weekend!

So I'm now on week 4 of the plan. Strength work was done on Monday, an easy 4 miles last night. I've got an interesting one tonight, 7 miles alternating at MP (8:00m/m). Looking forward to that one. Still feeling great, no niggles. I'm starting to get used to the DOMS that come with strength work and running it off.

As I said I'll be on tonight and I'll give you the low down on the running techniques workshop. A fantastic day! I received a video of me shuffling on the treadmill last night. image

• Options

Thanks GM- The XC was a plod really - trying to get over man-flu!... but beautiful setting (Trent Park). - Well done on your runs; everything looks as though it is going to plan (keeping a beady eye on Strava).

A couple of days ago, I went for a run with Ben Smith- This guy is completing an insane challenge- 401 marathons in 401 consecutive days, and arrived in Watford for his 84th run. I urge everyone to have a look at his website and track his movements- he will undoubtedly be doing a run somewhere near you at some stage and he relies on people just turning up on the start line to join him for some/ all of his daily mileage. He is a truly inspirational character and is running for two incredible charities. Please do share on Twitter and Facebook - or more importantly Try and run with him ! He will be grateful for the companionship- and you'll be rewarded with being involved in something quite amazing!

www.the401challenge.co.uk

#401runwithben

• Options

Thanks Charles! Looked better than a plod to me. image Its all going weirdly smooth so far, fingers crossed any niggles stay away! I'll definitely have a look at that website, sounds incredible!

Pretty raging right now. image Halfway through my report of the I run Success Running Techniques Workshop, I've finger slipped and pressed something thats taken me back to page 1! ARRGGHHH. Ok, so onto MS word to copy and paste I guess. The report will happen!

In the meantime heres the link to last nights run.

https://www.strava.com/activities/439289310

It was a nice 7 miles alternating between easy and MP (8:00m/m). It went well, my first MP mile was a bit fast and I had to reel it in a wee bit to get it down towards the 8:00 pace. The other two were a lot better and more controlled as well. I felt ok throughout the MP efforts, I'll admit it probably still doesn't feel as easy to run a 8:00 mile as it did at Manchester but its getting there. Plus how could it feel that comfortable at this early stage? 4 miles easy tonight and strength work done at lunch today. image

• Options

ARGH!!! Hate when that happens GM

Hello everybody!  Sorry for the silence... A Women's Empowerment Day, a Running Technique Workshop, Norwich Half Marathon, A Spa Day, and a longish drive home have meant that being back to work yesterday was a bit manic catching up with everyone and everything.

Was a pleasure to meet GM  and Mrs GM on Saturday, and Freemers on Sunday, although I think she did something as she passed me!  Those hills toward the end were mean, but it was a much much better run for me than Oxford half was a few weeks ago, despite having the few weeks off because of my foot and then my sinuses.  I felt strong the whole way around, even when the hill caused a pace drop off, and the thing that hurt at the end was my lungs.  Strangely, I had no DOMS until the 2.5 hours worth of massage/facial etc treatments at the spa, so I'm not sure if that kind of massage constituted a workout, or perhaps its the dehydrating effect of it...

For anyone curious about the Running Technique Workshop, the next one is on Saturday 2nd January, and there are just 2 spaces left... This is followed on Sunday 3rd by a Marathon Preparation Seminar, which is EVERYTHING MARATHON - including training physiology, nutrition in training, nutrition in and around racing, and injury prevention & actions to take if you do succumb to an injury.

• Options

Hello all,

So, not to step on GM's toes whilst he completes the write up of his 'Store Day', it was really good to see GM in person.  Whilst online coaching works really well, there is no substitute for seeing how someone moves in person to make sure that all the work we are doing is specific to the athlete and their goals.  

When he runs, he has a really nice style naturally, and I have given him some drills to enhance this.  Luckily, he didn't have the ultra shuffle I was expecting.  His upper body does move around a lot, and I believe this is down to poor (relative to the rest of him) strength in his abdominal area.  In addition, when we did the biomechanics tests, we can see that there is quite a bit of inhibition in the hips area, which is symptomatic of tight adductors and hip flexors.  So, we reiterate the need for stretching these areas.

Lastly, single leg stability is a bit of an issue in places and so his strength programme will be adjusted to work on this, especially as this is key for ultras with the uneven ground underfoot.

Regarding his running plan, I am really pleased with GM's progress, and a key signal has come up this week, in that he's actually really really struggling to keep his easy runs as slow as I've prescribed.  Because he has followed the plan to a tee, we are increasing his training paces across the board.  This means his marathon pace suggestion is now 7:50mm.  Whilst we will continue to do some tempo work in the mid week, the weekends are now transitioning to back to back long runs, with the biggest week being 12 miles and 18 miles in a weekend.  So long as he continues to progress as expected, this will be just enough to get him through his C2C ultra in January.  image

• Options
    You're a hard task master, Angela image glad the workshop went well. I think I need something like that too. I tend to overstride and have to consciously think about where my foot lands to avoid this. I hope it'll feel natural one day!!

19 miles for me today. I would lie if I said it was easy!! Up to 16 is fine but the final 3 felt like forever image but hey, it's base building image
  • Options

Hi all!

Sorry about going missing a bit over the last few days! I've had a bit of a hectic weekend and work is very busy at the moment. Still managing to get those runs in, apart from yesterdays long run which I'll be doing tonight instead. I will get that write up on tonight as well. Its saved on my laptop with a few finishing touches to add. 

Angela, I'll get on the spreadsheet tonight and update the weekends run. Hopefully doing the long run tonight won't knock things out of place too much!?

Chicksta, hope the 19 miler went well! image