Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Do I win the prize for the worst overtaking stats? I passed 90 and 975 passed me image

My legs feel pretty good today, achilles still a bit tight but apart from that no aches or pains.  Will probably go for a short plod tomorrow or Friday.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Top stats there, Freemers! It sees to suggest an element of pain, am I right? image

My quads are still very sore and my left hamstring is calling me all sorts of names. Can't see me running for another few days yet. I'll try to get out on the bike over the weekend.

I've been reflecting on Sunday and am very pleased with my race management. I was definitely feeling OK in the last 5 but that's because I was going slower due to the hamstring. This has given me great confidence for the upcoming Berlin campaign. The result could be spectacular (for me) IF injuries subside and weather is kind.

I got my nutrition bang-on on Sunday. Bananas and Jaffa cakes on the coach and in the changing tent. A few Clif Bloks for added carbo before the start, 4 x gels during the race. The gels were supposed to be every 6 miles but I brought the last one forward to 22 miles as it would be more beneficial.

I broke the rules and had a few swigs of Lucozade from the feed stations on the way round, I hadn't trained with it at all but have used it before. I felt guilty about the waste created. I had no more than a third or quarter of a bottle each time and then chucked it. I shared the bottles with my mate where I could but I suppose it's cheap to make and they'll recycle the bottles?

Water was taken only when I needed it and I showered myself in it to keep cool.
    My first pee that afternoon was purple. I had been taking Beet It juice all week but didn't have any that morning, just goes to show how long it stays in your system and maybe it helped me on Sunday?

moof: Screaming while getting off the bog? I hear ya my friend, I hear ya!  image

GD

• Options

Loving reading all the reports from VLM - makes me want to do it againimage

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    My gel strategy was one at the start then 6, 12, 17 & 21 miles, I sipped some water after about 5 miles, then picked up a bottle of Lucozade and ran with that for a fair few miles, trouble is the kind aid station lady had pulled the cap off so every now and then I???d squeeze it too hard and squirt one of my fellow runners.

The fact that I must have been very dehydrated after the race and didn???t go to the loo for a few hours after, my first wee was like pouring beetroot juice straight out of the bottle which was a slightly unsettling sight! ??Sorry.

??

Slokey- I???ve been following the P&D plan alongside the Don Fink iron fit competitive plan, so my overall running mileage has been a lot higher than Fink recommends at this point. I???m pretty sure the peak phase starts soon but it will still be less running miles than I???ve been doing, so hopefully I???ll be able to jump back into this but maybe leave out the zone 4 training on the run for a few weeks.

I always planned to do a little more on the bike after London so we???ll just have to see how it goes.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    ??? Not sure what happened there.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a good approach Moof. When I've previously run a mara or ultra in the spring I've just shifted focus to swim / bike for a couple of weeks to give the legs some recovery. Biggest danger is picking up an injury after such a hard effort and injury risk is much much lower on the bike (although not the way I ride it). Good point that Fink has lower run volume than you are used to so will probably feel like a 12 week taper! Getting excited now.

When do VLM GFA entries usually open?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

MsE - how's the prep for Berlin going?

Thanks for asking, Gul.  I am trying not to get injured before I start my build up in a few weeks.  All this sitting and studying is really not doing me any favours. Niggles mysteriously appear from nowhere.  Sitting is dangerous.  I am convinced of it. By the time Berlin comes round, I will have finished this course and don't plan on any more qualifications for a while.  Too much running to do and I'm not getting any younger!

• Options
    Now Berlin does sound very tempting.

Is it hard to get a place in the ballot as their GFA is very demanding?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I don't know, Neil, as I managed to get a place with my time.  I am really looking forward to it though.  Poacher sells it well! image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    2:45 for men under 45

2:55 for over 45s

Yikes!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

As fortune would have it, I am not male. image

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

And you are fast MsE! That trumps all.

Only 2nd run post Boston. 6 miles all pretty comfy. Core a little tight still.

Was looking at the Hanson plan and it might not be bad for me. Lots of faster stuff mixed in. Hmmm. 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Berlin:

• Male Runners: under 2:45 hours – Age 45 and up (age group 1971 and older): under 2:55 hours
    • Female runners: under 3:00 hours – Age 45 and up (age group 1971 and older): under 3:20 hours
    • Registration deadline: October 19, 2015 (12:00 am CET) – November 1, 2015

Neil forget it lol going by these times ! closed now anyway this year ! Most of us are too young and too male to get in image

5 easy early slow wet ones ..

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Hope all the post-race DOMs are easing off.
    6 easy miles with 10 x 100m strides d&d.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

10k course profile from mapmyrun:-

/members/images/340777/Gallery/GEAR_profile_0.gif

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Oops. Slight problem with scaling there!

• Options
    For the first time I can say yeah for being 45. I am mulling a plan to TRY run Chester 2 October 2016 in 2.54.59 to just get a fast runner place in Berlin 2017 and a very cool and/or plan b being VLM 2017 as my time qualifies as GFA last weekend.

A few hurdles to get over there then
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Neil: I was surprised to get into Berlin this year through the ballot. For the first time this year they allowed teams of 3 to apply. I got in with 2 pals and we're having a lads' weekend. I took the family to Berlin for a few days last summer and it was a great place, can't wait to go back.

Another mate did the race last September and said the course was excellent. It's dead flat and the roads are very wide. ideal for a PB if the weather is good.

Legs STILL hurt a bit today. Coach at the club recommends 2 weeks off twice a year, so I think I'll take that advice and get this hammy sorted.

GD

• Options
    GD the weather is right for taking off some time to sort the hammy. Where I am we had blizzards interspersed with quite warm sun yesterday. More of the same forecast this afternoon. Glad the weather was kind for VLM.

Berlin with friends sounds a good plan too, thanks for the advice

I haven't run since Sunday nor remotely felt like it. I was 80 on Monday, 70 on Tuesday, 60 yesterday and 55 today. That's effective age, not miles

Neil
  • Options

Seems GFA website is updated and no changes and if you ran a short Manchester one they let you in if you are 2 minutes under the GFA times.

• Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Great news re the GFA times! I was convinced that they were going to change, but my 3:11 from last year should get me in again!

Good luck for the 10K on Sunday Gul. I've managed to get a place in the Abingdon marathon - they apparently closed the online entries while still having a few left for postage entries, and I've been allocated one of those!

Has any one followed the FIRST plan? I'm thinking about giving this a try for Abingdon, but maybe supplementing it with one or two easy runs per week
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good news re Manchester too image my 3:03 becomes a 3:05 so still well under.

Well done LB!
  • Options
    MsE wrote (see)

Delighted for Lorenzo with a PB at the ripe old age of 4X!  image  Gives hope to us all that PBs can still come.   

Enough with the "you old man" type references - I've still got over 18 months to go before I get to be a V50!

MsE wrote (see)

As fortune would have it, I am not male. image

I seem to remember that some time ago, someone on here (Poacher?) thought you were a bloke! Good luck with the Berlin training.

Hopefully this is still the latest list:

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3 

21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - 320 - 3.30

21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.

29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3

11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)

18th June - Race the Wall 100K - Lorenzo - no real idea, but I've told people at work that I'm aiming for under 12 hours so I'll stick that in.

25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop

25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?

23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Lorenzo - sub 3:05

SJ - that's good news ref the GFA.

Glad to hear that many (all?) the weekend runners are back in action. 4.5 easy for me this morning.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3 

21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - 320 - 3.30

21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.

29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3

11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)

18th June - Race the Wall 100K - Lorenzo - no real idea, but I've told people at work that I'm aiming for under 12 hours so I'll stick that in.

25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop

25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?

25th September– Berlin Marathon - MsE - TBC

23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Lorenzo - sub 3:05

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Can someone please add Moof and I to Outlaw - 24th July - smackdown time!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3

21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - 320 - 3.30

21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.

29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3

11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)

18th June - Race the Wall 100K - Lorenzo - no real idea, but I've told people at work that I'm aiming for under 12 hours so I'll stick that in.

25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop

24th July - Outlaw - thread smackdown - Slokey Joe and Moof

25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?

23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Lorenzo - sub 3:05

• Options

I am signed up for Abingdon, target 3:14:59 or better

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

I have never suggested that MsE is a man. It was the "Ms" that gave it away.

Berlin changed fairly recently from first come first served to a ballot. I think the chances are much higher than for London. OTOH you can fly cheaply to Berlin from every corner of Europe, so it's only going to become more popular over time.

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3
    21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - 320 - 3.30
    21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.
    29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9
    29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3
    11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)
    25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop
    24th July - Outlaw - thread smackdown - Slokey Joe and Moof
    25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?
    23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Lorenzo - sub 3:05
    23rd Oct - Abingdon - Jason T 3.14.59

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

As for GFA, the unchanged targets validate the strategy of scraping in with 179 seconds to spare last Sunday. He shoots! He scores! And it's SJ's round afterwards isn't it?

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Undecided on what my next race will be. I have a heavy workload through October so the smart move would be to bin a fall marathon. But each day am thinking I might do the Baystate race again in October. It's pretty flat and temps have been perfect the past 2 years. Tempting. I could still try to do some faster stuff early summer and then try a different training plan (Hanson's or maybe even just good old P&D) to get some more speed build in. Nice to see all the other targets on the wall though. Will be fun to see how everyone fares.

Did 6.5 miles tonight and everything felt really good.