Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Have fun in Venice! Try not to get lost like I did last time I was there...

I really enjoyed my run today. Beautiful sunshine, but cool. T-shirt, shades and gloves. I ran 4 miles. One slow to warm-up then the aim was two at MP and one to cool down. I have to run 10:15s to finish under 4:30 so that's my tentative MP, but the three today went 10:01, 9:47 (this is the downward mile, so it's always a bit quicker) and then the cooldown was 10:12, so still within MP. Eh, well. I think I will try to stick around 10 minute miles as much as possible in Manchester, but I'll see how I feel on the day. I felt much, much better today, though, so I'm a bit happier now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I think that's a good race plan, setting out at 10 m/m.   You've definitely got rid of the jetlag now and energy levels restored.

As you are gluten free, do you ever eat polenta?   The reason I ask is that I found a packet in the cupboard, I'm going through my kitchen cupboards and using up stuff that's been there for a while.   I made some cornbread but wasn't overly impressed, might try a savoury version next time.    But at the weekend I did make pizza with the polenta and it was really good, I liked it better than ordinary pizza base. 
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
     I make pizza bases out of cheese and ground almonds. When I get it right, it works well. I'm home early so I might try head out for another run but I'm going to keep it slower.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have eaten polenta but not really a fan. I don't much like mushy foods. But, having said that, I'm interested in its potential as a pizza base.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Interesting re polenta. OH's family are from North Italy and his parents always say that polenta used to be 'peasants' food' over there. Apparently lots of poor Italians sufferered in the 19th and early 20th centuries due to a diet rich in polenta (as lacks many vitamins). F-in-law even blames it for causing faulty hip genes! Funny how it's becoming a trendy posh food now.

Parkrun justice has been secured! Apparently the girl hadn't completed the course so results have been amended.

MF - I quite enjoy maths homework too but my middle son really struggles with French. He won't let me help him though, so I might send him to stay with you for a week :)
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - yes it certainly was a Chinese feast. I weighed 2kg more the following morning! (I weigh myself after I get up most mornings) Thankfully have shifted most of it again. I'm certainly not relying on the forecast yet, they seem to be forecasting a rainy day or 2 between Friday and Monday but can't decide which day it will be. Currently has Friday being very wet and other days not too bad but could easily change...

Big G - a shame that your article got the wrong photo. You seem to travel about a lot on short trips, sounds lovely!

Cal - glad you had a much better run today. I think 10 min miling is a good plan for you.

SK - well done on the parkrun justice mission! Though I did quite like being 50th as it was a nice round number, I'm up to 48th now lol.

I did 6k easy back from the train station last night, rest day today. It's been a pretty stressful day though, as I found out my hotel that I was going to stay in on Saturday night is temporarily closed! Thankfully as I had booked through Expedia they have arranged another one which seems just as good if not better located. This was after an hour long phone call though! (most of which was me being on hold while the guy in the call centre tried to book me a hotel)

I only found out because I was looking up how long it would take me to get to the start from my hotel on Sunday morning, and saw on Google Maps it said my hotel was "permanently closed" so made an enquiry. If I hadn't seen that then I have a feeling I'd have only found out when I arrived on Saturday! Glad it's sorted now though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Iain - I like the thought of cheese and ground almonds as a pizza base, quite pricey though.

Cal - it wasn't mushy as a pizza base, I did roll it in flour but you could use gluten free and I've since seen recipes where you don't have to roll it out at all.

Recipe is 140g polenta, add enough boiling water to make a very thick paste consistency.   Cool a little, add one egg yolk and 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan.   Mix well.  I then rolled it out in flour and put on baking paper on a baking tray.   Bake 10 mins in hot oven, remove, put topping of choice on and then back in the oven until topping cooked.

SK - yes, I read about polenta used to be considered a peasants food.   But it does have some valuable B vitamins I think.

Good that the parkrun results have been sorted.   Maybe that girl doesn't want to become another Paula Radcliffe now that she's not as good as she thought she was, of course it was her daft father's fault.

Nick - 2kg! of course a lot would have been water with all the salt in it.   Glad you're back to your racing weight now!

What a nightmare about the hotel, at least you were checking but I'm sure there'll be other folk that won't check but will be banging on the door of the closed hotel.   That's not the sort of stress you want the night before a marathon.   I shall make a note not to use Expedia, I don't anyway.

One year when I was planning a race in Co Galway, I got a great deal at the only hotel in the small town where the race was, just yards from the start, absolutely perfect.   I'd booked really early to get a room.    Then one day I got a phone call from the hotel to say it had burnt down, to this day it's still not been rebuilt.   Had to stay a few miles away instead.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - the joys of the cheese pizza base, is that a little goes a long way. Because it's low carb, it is very filling so one pizza does 4 servings and tastes super yummy..
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Not much to report here....just tapering!! 12 miles on Sunday, 6 miles recovery on Monday and 7 miles today with 2 at MP (ave. 7:07). So slightly too fast for MP, but legs are feeling OK, pace felt OK even after some stomach issues on Sunday night/Monday morning.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - I don't attach any blame to Expedia really, and to be fair to them they have sorted me a comparable hotel. Just one of those things.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to say "Hello Shades" :)  Running London again this year, are you?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I use Expedia, hotels.com, booking.com - any really. I *always* check on Quidco too, and go via that portal as there are nearly always cashback deals. The rate has gone down now but recently they were paying 10-13% cashback on hotel bookings. It's worth doing if you don't already. I've been a member of Quidco (it's free) for 10+ years and have 'saved' nearly £2K on things like hotels, flights, insurance, running stuff - all sorts. It's all items I'd have bought anyway, but Quidco (and topcashback) give casback. It can take 3+ months to be paid, but it's worth it. 

Nick, yeah I try and travel when I can. That, and running, have kept me going these last couple of years. I always do it fairly cheaply, as that way I can go to more places :smile: Glad you got your hotel sorted.  
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    I magaged to get out for a relaxed run this evening, did 7 miles @ 7:20/mile. All leg issues seem to have gone so I'm quite relieved about it. Going to pick up some new shoes on Thursday and then I can start to make final preparations for London...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - that recipe looks amazing, have printed it off.   Do you use ground almonds instead of the almond flour?   I just checked the price of almond flour, £20 a kg! Out of my budget range. :o

Must have been DOMS then in your legs.

Steve - your taper sounds so calm and relaxed :)  Good that stomach issues were a few days ago.

Nick - no, it's the hotel's fault and they should have contacted you.   But if you've paid up front they would probably expect Expedia to do it.   Certainly someone should have contacted you.

TopSec - how are you?   Are you doing London or are you in Texas?  I haven't run London for years :)

Big G - mmm I'm not sure about those cashback sites, QuidCo get terrible reviews and don't think it would work for me.   I normally use booking.com (or hotel's own website) but I very rarely pay upfront, I pay the hotel when I stay to not sure if that would count for cashback.  Exception is Travelodge and Premier if I book a saver room. 

No running again for me today, am going stir crazy as I can't feel any discomfort in my injury, so my brain wants to go for a run, I'm even contemplating doing a bit of spring cleaning today. :o    I have put on Kinesio tape today, after watching a couple of YouTube videos.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no problem.  Just a quick one that the majority of hotels/B&Bs booked through hotels.com/booking.com etc are refundable too.  Or some, you choose to pay when you check in, at no extra cost.

Stunning weather over here.  I'm staying on the Lido, which is slightly less hustle and bustle, but still plenty of places to eat etc.  I got to the hotel at around 9pm-ish, and went out for a short 2-mile run, just to turn the legs over after the flight, so can't really count that as a run; still nice though.  This morning I went for a cracking 8.5 mile run.  I was running along a breakwater saying out loud, "I bloody love running".  Very quiet, hardly anyone around, blue skies, clear water, sunny but not too hot.  Perfect!  I had my watch with me but as the strap is broken, I only had it in my pocket so just ran how I felt.  Lovely run.

Talking of hotels, I'm staying in one which is a 4* place, but I paid £42 a night including breakfast.  Great location, and a lovely hotel; you know you're staying at a nice place when passers by take pics of it....!  When they showed me to my room last night, I thought they'd made a mistake.  Really happy with it.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - beautiful hotel, you got a real bargain there.

You're certainly getting some warm weather training there, the endorphins must have been in evidence if you were saying out loud "I bloody love running".  Capture that moment and recall it next time you're doing a marathon and have hit a tough spell. :)

I'm not comfortable paying for hotels up front, if they go bust you often have no chance of getting your money back and many of the hotels now have unfavourable cancellation polices.  I prefer to pay when I check in or usually when I check out. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big  G-Great hotel and price you have yourself there,always a great feeling when you have those runs,usually happens in the warmer weather I find.
    Shades-If anyone ever goes bust you can nearly always claim it back via your debit card and 100% if you paid by credit card,that goes for pretty much any Internet purchase if they fail to deliver on what you purchase.
    Got out for a 5 mile MP run today,struggled a little to get up to pace but once I did I held it well and it ended up 6 seconds pm quicker than target so quite happy,no niggles so looking good for Sunday.A positive point is that I've not had time to stress over the race with not being sure wether I'd even make it,need to start getting kit ready etc
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - yeah I use ground almonds. Once it's baked you can't even tell it's cheese with nuts. Might actually make it tonight myself. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, some great running going on! I just did my last long run and it felt good!  We've had some good weather the past few days but it was cool and overcast for my run this morning.  

Big G: it's interesting that you use quidco and it works.  I've never heard that it actually pays out so that's good to know.  Enjoy Venice! 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I'd say the big companies pay 90% of the time. RAC, Ryanair, Expedia, Hotels.com, BT, lonelyplanet books, sportsshoes, Dominos pizza, Halfords, etc. They've all paid me in the last 6 months with no issues. 

I'm not on commission, honest!  But I've had no issues with it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - I don't want the hassle of trying to claim back prepayments, I just don't pay in advance if I don't have to, why should I. 

And for anyone that uses PayPal remember the credit card guarantee doesn't apply with PayPal being a third party in the transaction and it's hard work getting PayPal to correct errors and do refunds. 

It's been remarkably calm on here this week but of course you, Cal and Nick are not virgin marathoners as you were last year.   Great that you're feeling positive about Sunday, I've seen the forecast and it looks ideal conditions.

Iain - I will make the pizza with ground almonds, need to shop for the cream cheese and I'm out of mozzarella.   Would be a great post marathon meal, really tasty.

Emmy - I take it you've recovered from your fall, no damage done :)

Big G - the only one of those retailers I've used is Sportsshoes and after the trouble I had with them last month I will never use them again.   I sent 3 emails, all nice and polite, still haven't received a reply, I only want them to confirm that they are not charging me for a substitute item they were trying to despatch to me.    Their prices are good but their service is terrible, never had a problem with them before but I have previously seen on RW forum problems that others have had.   I do use Halfords but not on the internet.

Just cancelled my Yin Yoga and Pilates classes to give my groin strain maximum chance to recover.   I was going to go to the classes but realised I could easily overstretch without realising it and setting my injury back, so reluctantly cancelled.   It's driving me mad not running, I've done more cleaning today than I've done in the last month and even started clearing out the kitchen cupboards. :o
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I agree about the calmness, this time last year I was panicking over everything from clothes to energy to pace but as I've done 3 now I know what needs doing,and up until the last couple of weeks training has gone really well so just need the predicted weather to happen.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - well don't be too relaxed and oversleep on race day ;)   

I've been watching the Brexit news today so ended up seeing the weekend forecast twice and they are adamant that although Saturday will be showery Sunday will be calm and roughly 12 degrees North and South, sunny spells too B)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-From next week I'll be starting my ultra training so any advice would be great  ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - right, first item on your ultra training plan.....

Run a good marathon on Sunday  :D
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - That hotel looks fabulous... can't believe how little you're paying to stay there. Enjoy Venice. I went there years ago whilst inter-railing and loved it. Didn't stay anywhere as posh as that though! Sounds like a fab run moment too. Great stuff.

Shades - Your house is going to be spotless! That's a shame you missed your classes but it would be terrible to make that injury worse. Do you think the tape is helping?

SK - Glad to see you have been restored to your rightful parkrun place! Minikoala is more than welcome to come and stay. Unfortunately Mr Fox and I with our Dyslexic-Welsh combination would be useless with french homework help but my daughter could be roped in. She is doing her Bac and can usually be bribed to help with homework (Ben and Jerrys ice cream proving particularly successful as an incentive at the moment)

Did 24k with intervals of 5k pace. Was convinced I was going to die at one point so must be doing something right. Managed to hit paces so very pleased with myself. The jog intervals in between were a bit longer than recommended though *cough*
    Foot seems ok.. (just know I'm going to regret saying that).
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Did 9km at target MP this evening. Set off a bit too fast, struggled to get into a rhythm between some small hills and a bit of a breeze, did hit the pace on average but felt like hard work.

Possibly because I went out before dinner and hadn't eaten anything for 5 hours. Or just one of those taper runs. Hopefully anyway! Certainly wouldn't be able to keep that level of effort up for 26 miles!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    MF - I still have memories of study leave at home for my A'levels - when I got bored, I would go to the freezer and eat all the nice bits (choc brownees, etc) from the Ben and Jerry's and then return the tub to the freezer! I'll put miniK on the next flight! Well done on the intervals. I'm wimping out of the 4X1200m at 5k pace this week and opting for a parkrun instead.

I agree with Shades, it's far too calm on here for taper week. So just to restore the balance, here's my latest contraption that I'm wearing in bed to try and get rid of my bunion (by straightening the big toe!)...

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - is your groin strain still hurting today or are you just playing it safe by not running? Hope it's better tomorrow (if not you can come and clean my house).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - I don't know if the tape is helping, I wanted to get used to it being on before I run.   The tape is supposed to support it should I need it, it took me a few hours before I got used to it, now feels comfortable.  
    Don't worry my housework blitz won't last :D  it never does.

Nick - it will be different on race day, its so hard to run race pace in training and no food for 5 hours would certainly have made a difference too.

SK - you scared me there, for one moment I thought you'd had an accident.   Do those splints work and how long before you see results?   So by straightening the big toe the bunion will not extend so far?

My groin strain doesn't hurt at all except when I get to about 3 miles into a run.   That's why I'm going so stir crazy and doing the cleaning as I have no pain at all doing non running stuff, normally when you rest for an injury you have some degree of discomfort to measure progress and justify the rest.   I'm hoping that by resting for a few days I've caught it in time.   I will do a test run tomorrow morning as I need to know if there's any improvement so I know what to expect when I run my marathon on Sunday.
    I think I'd be quite a good cleaner of other peoples houses, probably not so good when it comes to my own.

I will be updating the marathon list today so any addition of race numbers or goal changes, let me know.