Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Go Katey!
    i watched that video and it was shocking especially the guy whose temperature had to be brought down from 41. You all did so well to get through!

• Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Video makes me appreciate how lucky we all were. Some serious issues reported at the end. 
    I'm still stiff today - just carried handbag and patisserie home, while the others took the heavy bags. There are so many stairs in the metro! 
    Decided I need better fuel for next time (already thinking about a next time)! Too much sugar, water and gels with no real food made me feel quite ill and dizzy towards the end, after several hours of running after weetabix for breakfast and a banana before the start.
    Really happy that I ran the whole way, although I stopped to stretch rather too frequently through the Bois.
  • Options
    Made it to the morning photo-call and then sweltered round a few minutes slower than last year - so much for negative splits :-( Toenail the only major casualty, so I'll count myself lucky. Sorry not to be more sociable in the evening, but the lure of a nap caught me!

Thanks so much for all the fab advice on this forum and great to meet up in person. Trying to decide whether to go for Paris again next spring or to explore other pastures - any advice welcome (although possibly not the right forum for a neutral view!)
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone of you. I suffered too with the warm weather. Couldn't believe it when leaving the hotel on Monday morning to see an overcast sky and it had been raining. Bloody typical. I ran my 2/1 intervals from the rear of the "Pink Corral" and kept pace with many of those who appeared to have no planned strategy to reach the finish line.  I'll be honest because this is important, my 2/1 intervals from the beginning was 40 secs / 20 secs intervals. At the half marathon sign I was suffering with the heat and changed my "GymBoss" timer to 30/20 . It helped a little. I had been carrying Hamstring injuries leading up to the Paris and had to pull up to attach my Hamstring strap because of tell tale niggles. It worked a treat. My Hamstring problem caused me to lose 21 of the 70 programmed training runs for the Paris but I think that having run/walked many miles over the last  few years helped me reach the finish line in 5:27. I recovered well. I too flaked out on reaching the hotel so missed my planned meet up at Bastille. My next is the Great North Yorkshire later this year and maybe (just maybe) next years London. I've been luckier than most having been drawn out of the London Ballot 2 times since 2010 and won 1 competition place. I've then run for 2 charities making it 5 times. 3 Berlins, 1 Brighton and 2 Paris all since 2010. I've never finished a marathon without first breaking into a power walk but I've never stopped. I'm an elderly marathoner who is going to live and run forever unless someone knows something that I don't. Carpe Diem! Fred.
  • Options
    What an amazing experience that was! Thanks for all of the help and tips on here in the run up made it much easier!

I finished in 4 h 21 which I am slightly disappointed in....my training went well and I felt like I could have got under 4 15 but the heat killed me....it always does! 

I did say this would be my one and only marathon but I'm already thinking about the next! And my legs are still in pain and my feet wrecked....those last 6 miles I was telling myself that I am never doing this again....looks like I have a short memory!

When will my legs feel normal!? I want to go for a run!!
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Who is signing up for 2018 today? 
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Fred what an amazing story, I hope you run forever
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Katey - the cheaper price goes quite quickly, then it goes up a few euros (I think two increases?) before they close registrations until later in the year. Best to get in early!

I think I'm going to try another next year as this was my third Paris (or fourth Paris expo and eurostar if I throw in my last minute exit from last year!), but might come out and join the support crew instead and see it from the other side.
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Fred - That's a fantastic write up. Good luck on your future endeavours.

Lucy - Actually a short very easy paced run will help loosen the legs up. I did an easy paced 3 miles yesterday and my legs felt all the better for it.

Andrew - I know what you mean about looking to other events. I love Paris, that was my fifth time running it in six years, but there are some other interesting events around at this time of year. I can recommend both Stockholm and Copenhagen marathons, which tend to take place towards the end of May. Very good and well organised events in wonderful cities to explore.

Next year I'll be missing from Paris. If things go to plan I'll be heading out to try my luck at Two Oceans. If not I think I'll be looking to try something different. Needless to say come the Paris marathon weekend my heart will be with everyone running this wonderful event.
  • Options
    akelaakela ✭✭
    You all make this sound like an amazing experience.......so I'm in......
  • Options
    RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

:# That's me signed up for next year I have unfinished business

• Options
    Well done all who toed the start line. Great reports Katey and Fred, well toughed out, and the others too.
    Thanks for organising the meet ups Eggy, really enjoyed the meal.  I made it to the Frog but only at 11pm ! They gave me a free pint for wearing my medal though. I really enjoyed the whole weekend, probably doing a little bit too much prior to the Marathon but I'd do it all again at a shot. 
    View from the roof terrace of my folks hotel, my view was of a graveyard!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I know that graveyard well, right next to the Ibis.
  • Options
    That's the one, although to be fair, from the 9th flr it was a decent view.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    There are some very illustrious residents in that graveyard!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I tried not to disturb the neighbours!
  • Options
    I tried not to join them.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Fred, I think you chatted to me briefly in Bois de Boulogne (I had a Help the Heroes shirt). At least someone doing similar intervals to you did! 
    Katie, not sure when the first wave sells out. Second wave (€99) opens at the beginning of September, and I committed just before they announced the London ballot results at the beginning of October. 
    I'm going to put in for London before thinking about Paris. Definitely NOT doing both! Will it be less exciting, staying at home? Perhaps mother-in-law would come over to help build in some stress?!
  • Options
    Hi FRG2***, that was me. Glad you made it through flying the flag for "Help the Heroes". I was doing much the same thing for the Army Benevolent Fund (The Soldiers Charity). This marathon I entered for myself but still fly the flag. The bag drop was a nightmare for me. I'd lost my bearings and when I eventually found Avenue Foch I'd lost valuable time. The entrance being the far end of the avenue was no joke. I'll be registering for London in preference to anything else. If I fail again then I hope the likes of Paris is still open and pay the inflated registration fee. If it's closed then maybe a charity. Something like "Get Kids Going" whose minimum sponsorship is low compared to others. Stay injury free.

• Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    null
    I have :) must be nuts...
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    by which I mean I have signed up for next year, may even get to meet a few of you this time.
    In the meantime I have Stirling and Birmingham booked...:)
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Pistol101 said:
    There's a video from the day from the Red Cross - looks like a few sick people in there, my French isn't good enough. Hopefully they are all ok now http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/sport-et-sante/marathon-de-paris-une-epreuve-pour-le-corps_2139378.html
    Yes. I ran past two men receiving CPR.
    One inside the first 5k and another at around 24k.

It changed my view of the day.

By 20k my sub 4:00 was out of the question and I walk/ran to the end and lived to fight another day without sunstroke or heat exhaustion. 4:55. Not as bad as the DNF that I was expecting at half way. 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The Two Oceans Marathon sounds really interesting Eggy, as does the Rift Marathon in Uganda Smudge. If I'm going to the effort of doing one I like the idea of doing them in interesting places. I'm going to look up Copenhagen and Stockholm. I read up on New York but it sounds like a really tough one so I should probably aim to improve my time on a fairly flat one first!

I haven't signed up for Paris today although I would like to run it again, just part of me is saying do something different somewhere else. I suspect I will end up doing Paris though.

I had a meeting last week with the people who do much of the ground work for the Antarctic Ice Marathon and it sounded fascinating (I was asking how the drink stations work - they have warm drinks in tents). Bit out of my budget though!!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    It's been great reading everyone's reports. Glad to hear you made it round kenno, and hope to be able to follow your example Fred.

Relieved to say I didn't see anyone needing CPR. I passed a couple of people who were flat out, but both were conscious and being looked after thankfully.

Sorry to hear about your Mum smudger. That's an impressive list of races for one year. I think a few of them may be warmer than Paris too. What's your bib number for London so I can track your race? I'm going to be up supporting this year so would be good to catch up.

Good to see so many people signing up for next year. I was thinking of entering again, but as I've been staying with my brother, who's been great at looking after me for the last couple of years, I thought I'd give him a rest. So I've entered Brighton instead. Just hoping they don't run out of water again as they apparently did this year. Mind you Eggy, you made Copenhagen sound very appealing at the Frog on Sunday.... And then there's...  
  • Options

Eggyh73 I am interested in doing either Stockholm or Copenhagen next year which one is the flattest?

Well done to all who done the Paris marathon this year I thought it was hot last year when I suffered in the last 10k but this year was even hotter. Doing London in 10days and so looking forward to it after running Manchester 2 weeks ago in a new pb. Stopping in London with Smudger and we are both doing Berlin as well in Sept so all looking good as well as Liverpool in May.

Loved Paris last year and might contemplate doing next year but I do like to get around and do as many different ones as I can.

Once again well done all!!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Chris - Copenhagen is the flatter of the two courses, but it's a bit of a twisty route at times. I'd say they're both fast courses if you're aiming for a time. My PB run was Stockholm.

Katey - It sounds like you've got marathon fever. :)
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    One thing I think I will look for in a race is that you don't have long straights where you are running alongside runners in the other direction. I know this is the case for Brighton (my nearest marathon, it's where I work), I chose Paris on the basis that it was flat and doesn't do this but I can't think there are that many that meet my wimpish criteria!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'd reccomend Amsterdam. Pan flat, weather should be cool, epic finish in a stadium. It was my first marathon as well so I have fond memories. 

I still have have no desire to enter anything. Since October 2015 I've run 7 marathons. I hit my target on number 6. Marathons have kind of dominated my life for the last 2 years, so I think I need a good rest from it. 

Ive no doubt I'll get the hunger back, just don't know when. 
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    When Eggy said Copenhagen was twisty, he wasn't kidding. Good one though.