Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Well done jb, you often find that  after a few consistent times, you jump to a quicker one.

I ran a very good pace 6 miles in the forest this morning, and my legs felt light and strong. Fingers crossed, I have made a good recovery from Sunday.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Although I've ticked the box for Notifications, I never get them, and consequently forget to look at the website.
    Youngest Son deferred his VMLM place; he'd been having persistent hamstring problems, and decided deferring a year would be preferable to dnf-ing. He was very disappointed, especially as he'd been so committed to his training plan; but Middle Son assured him that the training wouldn't be wasted. So, it'll be back to London next year. We watched the race from the 6 mile point, and then (crossing under the river via the Greenwich tunnel) from the 17 mile point; YS had a friend running in it, so we were able to cheer him on; and indeed cheered a whole lot of complete strangers on (including a giraffe, a banana, two telephone boxes and the ubiquitous rhinoceros). Lots of people had their names on their shirts so could be cheered by name. I saw one of our club runners. Then we went back and watched the highlights on TV.
    Did the Burgess Park parkrun on Saturday. 38 mins, 1st in age group. No, don't ask how many in my age group. But there were 12 people behind me, all considerably younger.

TE (HS) what a brilliant result at Southampton, - you must have been so pleased!
    Congratulations on the forthcoming job change, glo2.
    Liked the blog, WtnMel. Glad St. George himself was running!
    And glad BIW is fully back on the website.

Coming back by train from London I found I was sitting next to a 70-year-old woman who was proudly wearing the VMLM T-shirt and medal. Her time? 7 hours and 40 minutes. 

• Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny and I'm doing a forest run with Karen this morning.

Columba, it's strange that you no longer get notifications. I never did with the old forum, but I do get them with the "updated" one. Your youngest son was very sensible to defer his marathon place. No point struggling and making the injuries worse. I imagine it must be almost as good watching the race, as partaking. Well done getting first in your age group in the parkrun, it's very satisfying finishing ahead of younger runners. I was really pleased with my Southampton result. I trained really hard for it and reaped the rewards. I didn't have any gels or energy drinks, just plain water and 3 jelly babies.  Great respect for the 70 year old lady taking 7 hours 40 minutes. That must be tougher than the elite running sub 2 hours 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Columba: I'm as per you - used to get notifications but don't now. Sounds like a good day out at VLM - the biggest and cheapest show in town! Shame about your son but he'll bounce back and be even more determined next year. Well done on the parkrun. My local one had large number of runners over 35 minutes and a fair number must have been well over your time (and this is a fast course).
    After finishing my cycle ride home takes me back along the course so I get a good view on the tail-enders and I see what a struggle it is for them. I'm trying to encourage Mrs JB to do it - but when she first tried last year she was rather embarrassed with her 35 minutes....hence my data on finishing times. 

HS: amazing what you can do on 3 Jelly Babies! I'm hoping you are right about the jump to the next level of performance as I feel I'm on a bit of a plateau. It's a good plateau and I'd have chewed off the arm that offered it to me earlier this year - but we runners tend to be a bit impatient. So thanks for the words of encouragement.

Rest day for me today. 

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Well done Columba on your parkrun - is that the first one you’ve done since your knee problem began? A very respectable time, were you able to run it all or did you stick to walk/run? Sorry to hear your son had to defer his VLM, how disappointing for him and what a difficult decision that must have been, but as others have said a sensible one.

JB - I wish I was on your plateau, you are running really well at the moment. 450 runners is a huge number of runners for a parkrun. I remember a parkrun we did a couple of years ago where the runners were encouraged to assemble on the start line according to the pace they hoped to run , so the quickest lined up at the front, slowest at the back and everyone else placed themselves in-between depending on what they thought their pace would be. It worked well, there was none of the usual jostling or pushing at the start and very little need for overtaking during the run, making it safe and enjoyable for all. Did something similar apply to your parkrun on Saturday?  450 must be quite a headache for the race director to manage.

HS - I’m glad to hear you recovered so quickly from your marathon. I’ve often wondered whether these days there’s too much reliance on energy drinks and gel, and now you’ve demonstrated that it is quite possible to complete a marathon without them, as long as you get your training load and effort right leading up to it.

I’ve had a quiet week due to my virus resulting in a problem with fluid in my ears, which affected my balance and made me feel dizzy, so I’ve not been able to run for the last 11 days. I’ve been prescribed some strong decongestants, which finally seem to be working as the dizziness is a lot better today, so this morning I tried a short walk/run (just 2 miles).  I managed without any ill effects but felt quite rusty, so if everything’s still ok tomorrow I might try another short run. I need to assess my chances of being fit enough for a 2 mile relay race that I’m supposed to be doing on Wednesday. I’m hanging on as long as I can before making a decision because if I contact the guy at our club who put the teams together and tell him I’ll have to drop out that means the other two ladies in my team will also have to drop out as I’ve heard there’s only just enough people taking part to make up full teams, i.e. there are no reserves to plug the gap if anyone drops out. So, do I run (slowly no doubt) or pull out and prevent two club mates being able to run?

• Options
    HI, I've just joined the forum as I've just started running at the age of 51.

Yesterday I did my 3rd Park Run, my first run was back in February, when my wife said I was going  with her. I really enjoyed it, but she wasn't exactly happy as I finishing front of her and I've not done any running since cross country in school in 81.

After the first run I had a nasty cough (which I caught from someone at work) and it took 6 weeks to get rid of it, partly down to having asthma. 

My biggest problem is confidence as being over weight,  I don't mind running in the Park run as you can blend in. But I need to go out on my own training,  but can't get myself out when I get home from work early. One of the reasons is I don't know how far I should go in the week so that I don't suffer on a Saturday, but I want to improve. 

I usually go cycling on a Sunday morning and a Wednesday evening. Sunday can be up to 70 miles and Wednesday upto 35 miles. 

I have had a gait test and have bought some Asics Gel Nimbus running shoes. I have used them twice now and while they feel fine the problem I have is socks, as in my soles seems to get very warm. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Welcome WorksS25, and congratulations on completing three parkruns. You must be pretty fit if you can cycle that far. Hillstrider is the  best person on this forum to advise you on building up your running safely to avoid injury. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out. Now you've found us keep in touch and let us know how you get on. This is a very friendly and supportive group.
  • Options
    Thanks Aquarius, I don't look fit at all as I'm about 4-5st over weight. 
    I couldn't believe I enjoyed running but I do, my best time is about 34.5 mins. But I feel I'm jogging and not running and to improve slowly. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased you enjoy running, just don't push too hard at first. Consistency is important, you'll find your times will improve, maybe just a few seconds at first, but gradually you'll get better. You'll also have times when you seem to be making no progress at all, but don't be disheartened, that's quite common and it's often followed by an improvement. If it's not too personal a question,  are you trying to tackle your weight issues at the same time? I don't mean any criticism it's just you will be more at risk of injury if you are overweight (stress on joints etc). Running in itself won't necessarily make you lose weight.
  • Options
    In a way, it would help with cycling as well.( I eat healthy as the wife is at weight watchers too and loosing weight .)  too be honest it's more for fitness as the years go on. But I do want to improve to get more enjoyment. 
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Dry at present, but heavy rain forecast later this morning. Typical Bank Holiday weather. Ran a good pace 10 miles in the forest yesterday morning with Karen. The ground was rock hard, so it was quite tricky running over hard rutted mud tracks. Will do a short run soon, hopefully before the rain.

Aquarius, there were over 1,000 runners at the Southampton parkrun on Saturday. The highest ever. The organisers believed this was because the previous weekend was the Southampton and London marathons, which incentivised runners to turn out. I've never run it, because I prefer the smaller fields with less congestion. Why do some runners that should start at the back, start at or near the front. They are a danger to themselves and other runners. I believe that gels can be useful if you believe they will help, but I don't feel the need in races. I do, however, sometimes use them during long training runs. Hope you will be feeling better so that you can partake in your relay race on Wednesday.

Welcome to the forum WorksS25, and hope you will stay with us. To be able to cycle 70 miles is very impressive. I don't cycle these days as I'm too nervous of the traffic. It's a good start for you by doing the parkruns, as you can blend in with runners of all shapes and sizes. Many "runners" walk a lot of the run when they first start and progress to be able to complete the whole 5k without walking. Jogging round is what new runners do, and when I first started running in my thirties, I didn't worry about mileage, or pace. I ran 3 or 4 miles in my lunch hour with other workmates, probably three times a week, and a longer run on a Sunday, up to 11 miles. I then gradually built up my mileage. If your target at present is to run good times in parkruns, then you don't need a high weekly mileage. You do need to do some speed work though. Once a week would be best to start with, and then increase to twice. There is a good article in May's RW magazine with 5k and 10k workouts. You may need to consider reducing your cycling mileage, if you want to seriously train for faster running pace. Hope this is helpful, and don't feel guilty about taking rest days, they are essential to allow the body to recover.
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice Hillstrider it all helps. I've been out this morning for 2 miles and am thinking of doing 1 mile tomorrow. 
    I don't want to push too hard too early, as that's the fastest way to get injured I think. 

In what way will I need to cut down with the cycling, is it to do with what muscles you use or the way you use them that is not helpful?

I will look for the magazine in the week. Thanks again for the welcome and advice. 
  • Options
    Aquarius/HS - I think it's a really good idea for parkruns (or any mass runs) to have the arrangements you mention and I've done one or two that adopt this practice. We are VERY lucky with mine as the prom is very wide and there's plenty of overtaking opportunities. What was frustrating this week  was that there were two competitors (too) near the front who had very excitable dogs on very long leads and nearly caused me (and others I'm sure) to come a cropper! Sometimes it comes down to lack of consideration but also in many cases - with brand new, rather clueless runners - they just don't understand. Hopefully they get the message after one or two runs. I wouldn't fancy doing one with 1000 runners though. (Funnily enough I did once try to locate the Southampton PR got hopelessly lost and ended up doing the one at Eastleigh!)

Works25 - a very warm welcome from me too. You'll get nothing but good advice and positive comments on this thread. I'm a bit of a parkrun addict, so I'd encourage you to keep doing these and monitor your march up the placings! There are some scarily fast 50-54 competitors around but you shouldn't be in any way intimidated. There are so many PRs around that - depending on where you live - you can shop around and find the best one for you. Or simply enjoy the varying challenges of different courses. What is your local one?

Had a really good run today as I went to the 6K event in beautiful East Sussex countryside. This was lovely - a bone dry, gently undulating X-C course taking in some bluebell woods (I think we heard a nightingale); a friendly, well-marshalled genuinely local event starting from and ending on the cricket field; a combined 6k family type event and a 10k for more serious runners.

Naturally I chose the 6k (!) and bull-dozed my way through the village children (in fairness there were some adults too) to a 2nd place. I don't trust the official timing and gave myself a 26:23 having gone through 5k in sub 22, which was about what I was expecting. The reality check was a 10K 60+ plus guy passing me around 4k, so I mustn't get carried away. I don't often come 2nd (in fact I think I've only come 1st or 2nd in two races in my lifetime) but it was one of those situations where the guy in front was 100 metres away, the one behind me was 100 metres away so there wasn't much point in a sprint finish!
  • Options
    Hi John Bateman 6 thanks for the welcome, there a few by me in the local area. The wife and I are lucky thatthere is a PR on our estate, the Kingsway Quedgeley. In the future we will be visiting Emma's Mum down in Weymouth and are planning to go down so we can do that one. 

I'm not focusing on anyone else's times or anything, all I need to gauge my own performances. 
  • Options
    Hello, everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny and off for a recovery pace run later.

WorksS25, The cycling mileage is not really an issue with muscles, but I was just thinking that if your priority is increasing your running pace, you might benefit from spending more time running. A lot of runners do use cycling for cross training when running is their main priority.

jb, congratulations on your 2nd placing in the 6k, it sounds like a really nice course. It's an unusual distance to race, and I'm wondering why they decided on it.

I had intended to do an easy pace run yesterday, but was feeling good, so decided to push the pace, and ran 6.55 miles at tempo pace. I got home just before the rain, so possibly that might have been my incentive for getting a move on.
  • Options
    HS - thanks. Lovely day here today (and doesn't that make a difference?), so a 4.5 miler for me by the sea. Am informed that yesterday's 10k (and I only did the 6k) was considerably short. I have nothing but the greatest respect for those folk who support us by devising courses, organising events and marshalling them but I'd have thought that these days it would be pretty straightforward to measure a course? I was almost stitched up by a marshal too: I tried to follow a signpost but he re-directed me to do another mini-lap - I don't think he believed that anyone as decrepit as me could be so far up the field and had already done a second lap. In effect he had me down as last when I was in fact second. He did apologise and no harm -other than to ego - was done.

Roadrunner22 - and 'hi' to you too.
  • Options
    Thanks Hillstrider, and Hi Roadrunner 22.
  • Options
    glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone, thank you for all your good wishes regarding my interview outcome. You are all so inspirational with your running fantastic times and distances, it certainly helps my motivation. My cousin is still trying to talk me into doing the Birmingham Marathon, it will be the first one so i know it will be supported well no doubt, but still not sure if i could do that distance, i am keeping an open mind as its not till October, i am going to see how my long runs improve at the moment i am at 12.5 miles so i might try to progress that every few weeks. I am training 5 times a week, i have a rest day before my long run and the day after not sure if this is good or not, i have noticed a lot of people do a 5k a day before their long run, so not sure whether it would pay me to have a midweek rest instead. Hills tomorrow and i want to improve on these, the book says "good form" which i do not seem to have yet.

Happy running everyone and stay healthy and injury free!!
  • Options
    glo2 - well, there are some that would argue that no runner's CV is complete without a marathon. I've done 2 marathons and didn't enjoy either to be honest - but this has to be traded off against the sense of regret that I think I would have had if I'd not had a crack at the distance. Your training regime shows that you have the application to 'go the distance' so I think it'll be simply a matter of taking the plunge (or not as the case may be). Isn't there some 'philosophical' view that you end up regretting the things that you don't do more than the things that you did? A marathon attempt just might fall into that category? On the issue of the 5k before the long run this is indeed my pattern. But not based on science just convenience: 5K is parkrun day and then Sunday is my training partner's long run day. 
    Will do something today but not much. Possibly two races coming up this weekend - usual parkrun plus there's a very tempting 5K or 10K choice in a pretty village setting. Would stand a chance of an age category win (looking at last year's times) and that's a very attractive prospect.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Today is a rest day, and yesterday I ran 4 miles at recovery pace enjoying the warm sunshine.

jb, that must have been embarrassing, being taken for a tail ender. There is a 10k HRRL race that I do every year that is 3 complete laps and then a short lap to the finish, which is a turn off the main route. I always have a slight worry that the marshalls might try to send me round again.

glo2, I'm wondering why you only have 2 stars. Nobody has been awarded 4 yet and I wonder what you have to do to earn them. I would certainly encourage you to do the marathon, otherwise you may always regret not doing one. Time taken is relatively unimportant for the first one, and you never know, you might want to do more. I've done 14 so far and doing the NF Marathon in September. Your training appears to be spot on, training 5 days a week including a longer run at weekends. There are many different ideas regarding before and after the long run, some rest the day before, some the day after, and some, including me, neither, unless Sunday is a race, and then I rest for 2 days before. My usual routine when I don't have a Sunday race is rest days Wednesday and Friday.

• Options
    Hallo all, well looks like I am finally back for good, was very frustrating posting here and then seeing people writing they had notifications that I posted but nobody could read me. John and dogs are fine, as am I, doing a lot of run training for the GNR, also swimming as we are both entered in the Cologne swim on 4th June, 6km for me and 12km for John. We have both completed these before but enjoyed it so much we are going back again. John has also entered the Thames Marathon 14km swim on 6th August, it starts at Henley.
  • Options
    Hallo to all who do not know me, I have been on RW since 2002 but when the new thread was established found myself locked out of the forums, it has taken a long time to finally get it resolved. Let me introduce myself, I am a 68 year old Pirate triathlete with 2 hip replacements and a long career in marathon running, which of course I am now banned from due to my artificial hips. John and I live in Germany with our two dogs, a black German Shepherd who was 10 last week (Nemo) and Charlie, a 4 year old White Swiss Shepherd. I do obedience and security dog work with them and am training Charlie for the Swiss White Shepherd championships in the autumn.
  • Options
    Ran 15km with Charlie on Sunday and swam 5km outdoors on Monday. John swam 7km. 
  • Options
    Hello DBI. You have iconic status given your enigmatic appearances of late but also your long service to the thread and of course your track record of competing. I am a Johnny-come-lately by comparison (although I've been posting on the Over 60s site for a couple of years). I'm another John but a mere 62. I live on the south coast (of England) and am primarily a runner although I've done a few duathlons. Unlike many of my fellow posters I rarely venture beyond 10k but am quite fast especially over 5k and will bore anyone endlessly with my triumphs; I tend to keep the failures a bit more quiet. I am in search of my personal holy grail which is a WAVA rating of 80% and I'm hovering over 79% now. Thus I rarely go far away from flat, fast courses. If this makes me sound boring then it is a true reflection of reality!

One thing that you could help me on: I often see references to 'pirates' but I confess I don't know what it means in a running context.

I used to be a GSD owner too, but she (like her owner) was very much the runt of the litter!

HS - I would fear for the life of the marshal who tried to do that to you!

Just back from the local park where I did silly little intervals, sprints and shuttle runs and thereby bemused the local dog-walkers.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Did my duty this morning and voted in the local election. We have a pyramid session this evening on a grass track. The last time I ran on it was about 30  years ago when I was a member of Team Solent, now Southampton Athletic Club.

DBIW, it's good now that you are back and we can all see you again. Glad to hear that you, John and the dogs are well, and you are both still running and swimming.

jb, I'm looking forward to when you can inform us that you have attained the magical 80% WAVA.
  • Options
    HS - yes I too went along to the polling booth. Any further disclosure would be depressing! Managed a 35 minute run with my training partner who has lost a bit of motivation since a disappointing showing in the Brighton marathon. Good for me (and him I hope) to run with someone again. Rest day for me Friday and then the 2 x 5ks in two days.  
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome, WorksS25. I didn't even start running until I was in my late 50s. Never done a marathon, though have done several halves. For a while I hoped I might achieve a 70% WAVA, but although I got several in the high 60s I couldn't quite get the 70. Last year I had a knee problem, and didn't run much; apparently it is arthritis, which I feared might mean my running days were over, but no, I've been making a comeback.
    Aquarius, you asked if it was my first parkrun since my knee problem: No, I have twice run the Tooting Common parkrun while staying with Elder Daughter, who lives in Balham just a short distance away. In spite of what John B says about there being "so many parkruns", I actually live about 40 miles away from my nearest, so rely on running them when visiting friends and family. Congratulations on 2nd place in the 6k, John.
    Surprised about the dogs on long leads in a parkrun; I thought the rule for running with dogs in a parkrun was that they should be on a very short lead.  
    6 miles with the running club on Tuesday, - cross-country, which in this neck of the woods means very steep hills, ruts, roots, rocks, stiles and streams. A lot of walking was done. A quiet little 3 miles on my own this afternoon.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    And I voted in the Council elections.
    I always vote, because of the suffragettes.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny and my car has just gone off for its annual service. The rep who collected it recognised me being interviewed before the Southampton Marathon by the Meridian News Team. I haven't seen him since last year, so I was amazed that he remembered me. Today is a rest day from running.

Columba, that 6 mile cross country sounds encouraging. Your knee must be making good progress.

A very tough pyramid session on the grass track last night. I couldn't believe that it was 30 years since I was there last. The session comprised two sets of 30, 60, 90, 120, 90, 60, 30 seconds, with 30 second jogs after each effort. There was a 2 minute recovery between sets. I was very pleased with my splits, the quickest being the first 30 second effort of the second set at 6.13 minute mile pace. I didn't believe I could ever run that fast any more, but it would be good if I could keep it up for a longer distance.:#