Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's been chucking it down with rain all day, but it stopped at about 4:30pm so I went out for a run.  I did 1-mile warmup, 4-mile progressive run, 1-mile cool down.  The 4-miles were 9:27, 8:43, 7:59, 7:08.  I cannot believe that last year I did a Half at more-or-less that quick mile pace!  I'm way off that :(  Having said that, I did enjoy the session :)  

I was planning a "quick" parkrun tomorrow but the wet weather won't help the course, so not sure what I'll do tomorrow yet.

(PS, not sure why my last post had a load of white space underneath it...). 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    I was expecting a shoes with ice cream on photo in that space Big G... Excellant idea.

SK - Have a fab holiday  :)

Cal - That sounds like things are improving if you couldn't hold yourself back to a slower pace.

Shades - Why would you want the results from the Bridport race? You've made me crave cider now.. I can't remember the last time I drank cider. Imagining being outside quaint west country pub in sun with glass of cold cider in hand *sigh*

Had a good run this morning. Up over the wind farm very early... my hands actually got a bit cold and I really relished feeling cold for the first time in ages. I know that sounds weird.
    I'm going to have to start bumping my longer runs up a bit. I seem to be stuck on 24k and that feels like a slog. Did that Monday so will try to increase it a bit this weekend. We will be running around a bit over the next few days as are organising a party for smallest child on Tuesday. He will be six and has invited most of his class over  :#:#:# There is loads of clearing up to be done and making his play areas child friendly *cough* so this needs to be started tomorrow. I'll have to plan in an early long run or I know I'll be making excuses why I haven't got time to do it.
  • Options
    Rainy here in Wolverhampton today. Ran a 5 mile Tempo 1 mile 10.45 3 miles 8.35 1 mile 10.35. Enjoyed run and no sign of hip pain. My legs feel like they are getting stronger as a result of my extra mileage. We are off to Wales in the morning for a week in a cottage. Looking forward to the break. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Cal - the Bikram definitely niggles that hamstring.

Big G - I'm sure they'll let you keep the NB kit, surely they could just say they accidently left it behind in Torquay. :D

I think that white space is due to the adverts on the left hand side, it's been happening for a few days now.

mamafox - if a race doesn't produce results it's not considered as a 'proper' race and wouldn't count as there's no evidence that the runner did the race.   The RO hasn't come back to me but I see they are producing race results for their shorter races this year.  I think I will enter anyway.  

24km is still a decent training distance.   How many weeks before your next marathon? 

Good luck with the party, just let them play with the BMW, they'll love that :D

John - you're a changed man since your post on here earlier in the week.  :)  Good that the hip pain has gone.   have a lovely holiday in Wales.

Just booked my Pilates class at 7 a.m. at one minute past only 9 spaces left.   Not the only thing to sell out fast, I hear the Nike shoes based on the sub 2 attempt have sold out in 20 minutes at about £200 a pair, they're supposed make you 4% faster!

Drove home yesterday from the Women Can meeting in one of the worst driving experiences I've ever had weather wise.   I just got on the motorway and the storm started with a vengeance and when I got onto the A380 there was too much traffic and poor visibility to try and pull off anywhere safely, was driving up Telegraph hill with a river of water pouring down the hill, impossible to know how deep the water was but made it home safely, very scary

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    John - Enjoy your holiday in Wales! Will you be taking your trainers?

Shades - That sounds a horrific drive back, you must have been so relieved to get home.

My marathon is not until the end of November so my 12 week plan starts the 28th August. I'm enjoying my running at the moment without the constraints of a plan or the need to do any dreaded speedwork. I know I'll be ok when I finally start the plan and crack down on with it but I do need to start building my mileage up as I've definitely got a bit lazy about that. My 24k route used to be one that I'd do as a matter of course on a Wednesday and now it's turned into "the" long run so we need to sort that out!

The BMW has actually moved place and has been pushed back into the garage, cleaned and prepared for surgery. My dad has paid for our new kitchen floor on the condition that we sell the old camping car to pay for a new engine for the BM and the car can then be put on the road (You still with me?!) I think he is fed up with being picked up from the airport in the tipper truck. 

Other news is that I got stung by a hornet yesterday and it really hurt. It was long a sharp burning stab and then horrible burning waves going up my arm. This morning my arm is swollen and hot and itchy  :(

Anyway, just parked little one in front of Fireman Sam so I can get off for a run as didn't get out early this morning. Much cooler and maybe we'll even have some light rain  :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    mamafox - was a horrible drive, can only remember 2 worse drives.  One in a tornado, pulled off the road for that one, didn't last long and the other one was in North Wales and the only time they cancelled the Snowdonia marathon, the wind was so strong it bent the windscreen wipers on my car. :'(

Plenty of time to extend the length of your long runs, so you'll start the P & D at the end of August?

That's promising news about the BMW and a crafty deal done by your dad.

Ouch to the hornet bite, hope it heals soon, have you taken an antihistamine?

Cooler here too, very pleasant today.

Just entered that Burton marathon, only a 70 minute drive from here and in lovely Dorset, although I doubt it will be as lush in October.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Shades, that hill can be really bad :(  I remember a few years ago it was closed due to ice, and cars were skidding all over the place on it.   Glad you got back okay.

MF, ouch to the hornet sting!  

As for me, I did 7-miles this morning including a parkrun.  Weather conditions were good as it was cool, sunny, and not much wind, although the field was a bit wet for the last mile.  I was  disappointed with my time of 21:22 as I pushed it hard, and thought it was quicker.  I looked at my watch for the first time just before the home stretch and saw 20:00, and was a bit surprised as I felt I was on for a course record - strange how it works out sometimes.  But it was part of a 54-mile week (so far) so that may be partly to do with it, although really my legs feel okay.  I think I'm going to have to take it up to 60 tomorrow, if I feel I can.  I have done 60+ once before in a 7-day period, but that was when I did 2 marathons in 7-days earlier this year, plus the training.  If I do 6 tomorrow, that will be the first time I've done 60 in a training week.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds scary, Shades. I haven't driven for years but I had a few nerve-wracking drives back in the day, when I was a student and used to drive my battered Marina down the A12 from London at the end of term or holidays. I had one drive where the rain was too much for the wipers to deal with so I had to pull onto the hard shoulder until it eased off, but the worst was going back to uni after Christmas the morning after it had snowed. It was like the Cresta Run. I had to go slowly but also concentrate fully the whole time while the back-end happy Marina fishtailed all over the road.

mamafox - argh! Hornets are one of the few things that scare me. Been stung by wasps a few times (once during parkrun) and that's bad enough. I guess at least it wasn't a Giant Asian hornet. I saw some of those buzzing around a tree in Korea and kept well away. They're about as big as your thumb and very aggressive.

Well done on the mileage, Big G, and on your runs everyone else.

Parkrun was subject to a takeover by the other Clapham club, Pioneers, so thought I'd pop along, but my glute felt very sore and knotty down by the hamstring tie-in. Spent a while doing glute bridges and gouging it with a hockey ball then jogged a mile, at which point I realised that my legs weren't going to be up to much after yesterday's 11 miler. Despite raining all night, it was still quite humid too.

I didn't take it entirely easy but decided not to push too hard but focus on increasing my pace slightly with each lap. I ran 9:15/9:07/8:55 for the three miles and a bit quicker for the .1 and finished in 28:06. That's a slow time for me but I'm fine with it under the circumstances. Also happy that my cadence was 180/180/182 with a slight increase in stride length per mile.

Finished up with some yin yoga where I completely zoned out a few times.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went to Exeter to try on some of those Adidas but they just didn't feel right.  My usual size were too small length-wise, and I had to go up a full UK size but then they didn't feel right across the width.  They tried to flog me another brand of shoe, but I left empty handed.  Never mind.
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies  :)

Steve- that's a great time for your 50k :)  Extreme Energy do put on good events, though a bit pricey.

I still haven't got back into my training. Keep saying that I'll start tomorrow but ..... :(

I did however go along last weekend to the Essex 100 to help out and I loved it :) . Did registration at first and then helped out with food & drink at the HQ checkpoint. The race was 12 out and backs and there was a 30m and a 50m too. Great to see the front runners and inspiring to see how some of the 100 milers built themselves back up after staggering into the hall on the point of collapse. I walked the penultimate lap with a friend as she was feeling low and considering retiring. We just talked the whole time and she picked up. Unfortunately that meant I missed going out with another friend who was having a bad patch and did retire. I've run with him lots and think my nagging might have kept him going  :D 

Hope to get out with the LDWA local group tomorrow. After the tremendous storm at the beginning of the week (the thunder really did crack right overhead and then rumbled for ages afterwards and the golfball hailstones sounded like someone was breaking through the front door!) we've had a couple of downpours again today. Will definitely take my waterproofs. Summer ?!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done for helping out at that event Mowzer.  You're right - it is always inspiring to see the front runners at events, although I have never seen a 100-mile event.  I remember a couple of years ago I saw Steve Way warming up before Torbay Half, and the speed he was going as a "warm up" made me consider hanging up my racing shoes.  ;)  

Shades, just letting you know that Davey is putting on 4 running weekends next year, so 8 marathons.  He's announced two of the weekends - 20/21 Jan and 5/6 May.

I've this morning ordered a pair of Reebok running shoes from their website.  I don't think I see many people running in Reeboks, but the reviews were good, and they are a light shoe but with 8mm drop which is kind of what I want (my Asics are 10mm).  I got a discount code so I'm getting them delivered for £40, and it's free returns which is why I thought I'd take a chance.  If they're no good, I'll just send them back.  They're 180g.

I've just done my 6-miles to take me to 60-miles for the week, so I'm pleased about.  It was just a very easy run at about 10s, and it was in good conditions.  I had a good run.

Not sure what to do about the next marathon on Saturday, in terms of prep for next week and also the race itself.  I've ran for 9-days in a row (including a couple of double sessions), which has helped the mileage, and although I've never done that before I do feel fine.  But I'm thinking I'll cut right back now - maybe do 6-7 on Monday evening with the club, do the club's session on Wednesday (about 6), and do 6-ish on Thursday.  I'm travelling to MK on Friday, but I may get 3-miles in there, and the race is on Saturday.  How does that sound?

Not sure what to do about the race yet.  It's not a target race for me at all, so I think it'll depend on how I'm feeling on the day and also the conditions.  If the conditions are okay, I may give it a bit of a crack, but if I'm just not feeling it or the weather is bad, I'll just take it easy.  Gloucester is the week after which I think is a course that I'll be more suited to (single lap) and is PB potential, so I have that in mind too, but I expect that no matter what I do at MK in terms of pace I'll still be a bit tired for Gloucester....
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, you mean to say you ordered shoes without trying them first? Bit of a risk! Can you use the race as a training run?

mowzer, had some thunder in London yesterday. Weather is nice and fresh today! I really, really hope we don't get another hot spell.

4 recovery today. Legs sluggish, but unsurprising. I've logged 35 miles this week (my highest total since Manchester) and I've only taken one day off running. Not sure if I should run tomorrow morning or not, since I have the mile in the evening. Hmm.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah.  I don't usually do that but as the price was good and it's free returns I thought I'd try them.  If they don't feel right for whatever reason, I'll just return them.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - don't think I've seen a Marina for many years, :D  I can imagine not the best car in snowy conditions.

Glad you're still enjoying the Yin yoga.

Big G - Well done on your 60 mpw, you've done better with your mileage than I have :/

That's exactly the same problem I have with Adidas, you must have been disappointed.  I threw out the last pair of Adidas that I had as they are just too poor a fit for me even with going up a size they just aren't comfortable on the forefoot.  I guess the last in Adidas shoes are the wrong shape for me.

I haven't had any Reeboks for a long time, last pair were generously sized and good cushioning.   There are so many shoes around that it takes some time to research and try even a few of them.   I've bought many different shoes without trying them on first and usually they've been fine for training.  You might want to add Mizuno Inspire to your list to try, they are good high mileage shoes and feel a lot like the Asics to me but lighter, mine are 240grm.  

I saw Davey's post about the January races, too cold for me so I'll skip them and 6th May I'm doing North Dorset.  I was hoping that he'd opt for the week before.

Yes, I agree, cut the mileage this week, you've done well over the last 9 days.

mowzer - well done for helping out at the Essex 100, that must be nearly as tiring as running it.

Are you feeling less tired now?  You'll get back to training when you're ready.

Lovely morning here for running, was a cool night. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was disappointed with the Adidas.  From the reviews, I thought I may have found a lighter shoe that is readily available at good prices and would suit me, but unfortunately not.  I'm still okay for Asics in my "cupboard under the stairs". On one of my short runs in the week, I opened up a brand new pair just to check the laces/tightness were all fine, and I'll use them for my next two marathons.  I've got two other pairs that I use for training, which have got about 150 miles left in each so they'll be okay for a few more weeks.  I know I can get more Asics online at more or less any time, but I fancied looking for something lighter. Asics do a lighter shoe than mine, but they're £100+ which I don't really want to pay if I can help it.  I'll see what these Reeboks are like, and if no good I'll have a look at the Mizunos so thanks for that.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I' d second the mizuno,felt a bit clumpy when I first wore them but great after I got used to them,feels like a bit more support around my ankles than my saucony.
    6 wet miles before work today,got hammered on at one stage but felt fine running.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Adidas don't fit me well either. I used to bum around in Adidas Campus for casual wear and they were always a bit narrow in the forefoot. I've got duck feet (wide toes, narrow heels). I had to go up to an 8 in those (and NB) whereas I'm a dainty 7.5 in Nikes. :lol:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe you'll be able to get those lighter Asics shoes in the sale at some time.   I keep a note of shoes that I think might suit me and when I'm looking to buy I dig out my notes, do another review and see if I can get them at a reasonable price, that's how I ended up switching to the Guides for racing, although I'd only considered them as a training shoe at the time.   I'm still rotating 12 pairs of shoes for training plus another 2 new pairs of GTS as yet unworn so not looking to buy at the moment o:)

Ian - is it the Mizuno Inspires that you have and like?

Of course the other factor for us marathon runners is that we should always look for high mileage shoes.  Many are only being sold as suitable for no more than 300 miles, which isn't very long for us and not value for money when there are high mileage models available.

Wonder how Iain got on today running the marathon in an IM relay?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I got a pair of the inspire 13's last November,then got some sports voucher for Xmas off my boss so got another pair
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
     Ian - The Inspires are high mileage, I got about 700 miles out of the last pair I had.

Nice thoughtful present from your boss :)
  • Options
    We are enjoying our holiday in Wales. Had a walk around Tenby this morning and sat on lovely sandy beach in Manorbier later. Lovely sunshine. I managed to fit in a steady 6 miler up and down the country lane outside our cottage late afternoon. I was hoping to spot a red kite or two but none were on show. We saw lots of them about 20 miles away on the journey from home. They are such beautiful birds of prey. Saw plenty of buzzards on run though.  Felt good on run and no niggles. Was thinking about my 16 miler next Sunday. This will be my longest run ever and I think I will choose a flattish route. Built up
    a good appetite during run and we enjoyed a good meal in local pub. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice beach at Tenby. Used to B&B there when we went to Oakwood.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    John - best part of a holiday is to run in new areas and enjoy the scenery.   There's a very good marathon in Tenby in early July, not flat though. ;)
    Good idea to choose a flattish route this week.

Very windy this morning but pleasant for running.  My knee seems to have stopped niggling now so hoping I can get the mileage up this week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the running in Wales John.  Yeah, good idea to do a flat long run I reckon.  Good luck with it.

Shades, I was just looking ahead to Dorney.  I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself and I haven't entered it yet, but I was checking the results and saw that if someone did more than the 10 laps (marathon distance), they didn't get a marathon time recorded.  I was just wondering if that's normal for these 6hr/12hr/24hr events?  So for example, if someone happened to get a marathon PB on it, rested for some time and then trotted around another couple of laps for the remainder of the 6hrs, in Dorney's case they would get an approx 31-mile recorded against their name, but not a marathon time.  No issues either way, but I was just wondering if that was usual.  I suppose technically if that is the case and that person did get a PB at the marathon but carried on with more laps, officially the PB wouldn't count would it, as it wouldn't be in any results?  If I do enter it and I do happen to be on for a PB, if that's the case I'd probably stop at the marathon point I think, hence the question.

I was chatting to a non-running mate over the weekend over a beer, and I mentioned Barca flights.  The reason I mentioned it as I know he's never been to Barca and he has said in the past he wants to go - when I saw his face I knew I'd piqued his interest, which was my intention ;)  He's checked it with his boss and he's able to get the time off, so we're off to Barca for the marathon weekend :)  I told my mate I won't be boozing on the Saturday and will get an earlyish night that evening, and also he'll have to entertain himself on the Sunday AM, but he was fine with all that.  The only issue with it is that it's the same day as Bideford Half (my Half PB course) which I was going to target, but I figured it was a compromise I was willing to make ;)  In all seriousness, I was hoping to properly race a Half in Spring next year, so I'll have to find another flat one if I can; there is Exeter but I don't really like that one, although it can be a quick course.  I can't believe I'm looking ahead to 2018 already for marathons....
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, I looked at my stats for last week on Strava.  I did 60.2 miles and it took me 10:01:09, which averages at 10min/miles which coincidentally is my long run pace :)  That included 1x3-mile tempo, 6x800m intervals and a parkrun, but still averaged 10s, although that trail run I did was down at 11:43min/miles due to the terrain.  There is a club group on Strava and I did the most miles last week from my club.  I was only 3rd in elevation climbed though, with 3983ft of climbing, as one person did 57-miles/4428ft and the second did 50.3-miles/4316ft.  This tells me I need to do more hills, which I knew anyway!!  The young Trotter is out injured again, so he wasn't in the picture at all for mileage, although the elevation he climbs is usually not a lot anyway.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Morning folks, hope you all had a great weekend.

had a "interesting" weekend to say the least..I did the run leg of the outlaw IM distance relay yesterday. What an experience.

After work on Saturday we packet the car and headed off to Nottingham. We got there just after 6pm in the pouring rain and managed to put up the tent without too much hassle. I met up with the team leader and we went over the race details and the transition protocol. I then returned to the tent to try get some sleep. I had set my alarm for 4:30 so I could get up and head down to the start to see the swimmers off. That was an amazing sight, 1500 swimmers heading off down the 1.2 mile lake. I hung  around to see our swimmer come in in 1:01 and get the bike leg under way. I knew I had a few hrs to sort myself out before I'd need to get into my racing mindset, so I had breakfast and packed some of the car ready to leave after I had run.

we were expecting the bike leg to take around 5hrs30 so I went to the transition area at 12pm just to be on the safe side. I had warmed up and stretched so was ready to get out as soon as I had the timing chip on my ankle. As the time went on and more and more teams were heading out before me, I was getting a little concerned. At 2pm I got word that our cyclist had had a major mechanical failure and was struggling to get back. Time was ticking by and eventually I was the last relay runner left in transition. I hadn't planned to be there so long so didn't take enough water or food with me so was hungry and dehydrated. With 9 min to go before the 4pm cut off, our cyclist came running around the corner pushing his bike, he got to transition and handed me the chip and I was off.. I had to try keep my head about me and not try make up for lost time. His leg took 8:47

I started strong and did the lap of the lake before heading out on the first loop. I was feeling good and was passing loads of the full tri athletes . As I was returning to the lake for the start of my second lap, I got a very sharp pain, almost like a stitch but much lower than normal. It was enough to stop me in my tracks. I had to try walk it off and when it went, I could start running again but it was never completely gone and stopped me a further 3 times. Throughout the course the crowd support was phenomenal and everyone shouted "GO PIRATE, AAAAARRR" I got my third wristband which Ment I had one lap of the lake to go (about 3.5 miles) I could see the bike with a cameraman on, and as I got closer I realised he was filming which made it tougher for me as I had to try not show how much pain I was in..very disconcerting plus I was running faster than he was going to had to run around him twice...I slowed to chat to a 65yr old athlete that had done the entire triathlon and I applauded his efforts. 

As I approached the finish (50m to go) my team mates joined me and we all crossed the line as a team which was really special. Despite the pain and dehydration, my time was 3:29:54 and our total time was 13:21:46. Was a fantastic experience. So much so that I'm thinking of entering next year as a solo athlete. We got home just before midnight and headed straight to bed. Thankfully I've got the next 2weeks off which I'm going to use to get some rest before training resumes for my next race in November.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, well done for toughing it out and a still getting a good time!  Do you mean you're thinking of entering the full ironman event next year?!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - re the 6 hour challenge at Dorney, they give you a recorded finish time for whatever distance you  complete, so if you do marathon distance you get a finish time for that.   It would be very unusual for a race to give you a split time at marathon point that you could use as a time for another purpose such as GFA and technically that wouldn't be a PB time as a Pb time is a finish result.   It's assumed that if you continue after marathon point at Dorney then you are then doing the ultra.

Trust me, if you did a PB at marathon point you would not want to continue to run further laps.

When I did the 6 hour race at Chorley they adhere very strictly to UKA rules as some British records have been set there, they record marathon time, and 50 km time for stats purposes and the final part lap is measured exactly (not done at Dorney), but you couldn't use that marathon time as a PB record as they are not the finish results.

I thought you'd probably go for Barcelona, it's a PB course if you are going to target a PB that early.   I'm sure you could find another half marathon to do but you'll probably have to travel a bit to find a fast one.

Don't think you need to worry too much about hills, maybe a bit nearer the time for the Cornish.

Sorry to hear the young Trotter is injured, hope it's not serious

I already have half of my races pencilled in for 2018 and yesterday I even set up the spreadsheet for 2019, but that's because I want to celebrate the next milestone marathon in 2019 and wanted to see if races would work out OK...they will as long as I don't get injured.

Well done Iain, that must have been really tough but you did well.   Shame for the guy doing your bike section, being in a relay is a whole load more pressure/stress.   Great to hear you are going to become a Pirate and have a go yourself next year, I think you'd do really well.   How's your swimming?
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - yeah I'm considering the whole IM. I've got a year to get things sorted.

Shades - I can swim pretty well ( used to surf loads in SA) but I need to work on slowing it down and then work on swimming further. Might be a bit ambitious but you know me, always up for a challenge.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - as you're a good competent swimmer I don't think you'd have much of a problem switching to distance swimming.   Maybe a half IM first to get used to the transitions etc?  I think it's a great challenge for you.   I believe it can be a struggle getting the training in for 3 disciplines but other busy folk do it.