Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good LR AWC, must be a good feeling to bank those so early on. 

Glad you got through it westy, not far off back to normal. 

Good luck with the new job HA77, and also well done on banging out 20 milers at this stage. 

welcome back Madbee and mini Madbee as well. Hope you can ramp up the miles as bub gets older. 

Phil if you can keep up that mileage then you’ll be in great shape for sub 2:30. 

Macca - I’m sure utmb would suit you but seems to be a ridiculously hard race, good luck for next year. 

Tried 2x5k@LT today, didn’t hit the pace I wanted (finished with 20:29 and 20:18) although probably need to adjust expectations down being this early into the buildup. Also it was stupidly warm and humid so my trainers were soaked through, yuck. Planning to do a low key HM next week to see where I am and set paces for the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice long run and weekly mileage AWC.

Still a decent pace on those tempo sections John.

Weird XC for me today. Wasn't really in a competitive mood and I couldn't see any club mates to chase down during the race so I just did it as a relatively easy tempo effort and quite enjoyed it! Not my best performance by any means but the legs felt ok and it is another session in the bag.
  • Options
    I really can't wait to be complaining about the heat! 
    Intervals day today so did 11 miles with 5x4 minutes with 4 min recovery, averaging 5.05 for the 20 minutes of vo2 work which is ok for my first in a while. Hopefully some easy miles tomorrow will give me about 80 for the week.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Morning.
    Hate running in hot weather. Not built for it. I was built for sitting by a pool when anything over 20C. If anything like those Oz land temperatures I would be staying inside 24/7. Impressed you're getting out there John.
    No miles yesterday. Legs felt too batterered from a hard week of not much running but a lot of coughing. Going out for 10mi with some strides this morning. I am getting back on schedule, but about 5 days behind now....will make it up some other time.
    Daughter came 8th in the Manchester area XC yesterday...first for her club.
  • Options
    Well done on the weekly record mileages Hazel and AWC.
    Thats a near as dammit training 40min 10k John, as you say, not bad for this stage of the plan.
    Good luck with xc HA, and the new job of course.
    Sounds like a decent run in the bank Ram even if not full eyeballs out.
    Top speed work Phil.
    Fantastic result for young Jnr, take it easy getting over the cough Westy.

Madbee, funny you should ask about ultras, I found myself on the start line of one yesterday.

I entered the Country to Capital a while ago but with a few things going on hadnt sorted childcare so had half written it off as a DNS, no taper, no carb load, no race face and broke my golden rule of no alcohol the night before a race.  Fortunately, after only one glass, at about 9pm kid care was sorted, a bungy line tethered to the sofa so they could reach the fridge, toilet and ipads, job done.
    This was a race I've wanted to do for a while so whilst not fully prepared, I was up for it once I got there. It starts in Wendover Bucks and follows about 20miles of country trails before joining the Grand Union Canal for 20 odd miles into central London finishing at Little Venice near Paddington, 43 miles all in by my garmin.  It starts with a full on sprint, which is a sight for an ultra, to avoid queues at the 1st few stiles and pinch points.  Its an unmarked course so there were a few moments of climbing barbed wire fences, catching up people I had passed shortly earlier who had gone a different route but that was my fault for not studying the course map in the build up. I settled into a reasonable pace and enjoyed the countryside passing by, muddy in places but overall conditions were excellent.  I joined the canal with another lad and we overtook maybe half dozen runners, the other lad pulled slowly ahead so I reckon I ran maybe 10miles without seeing anyone else.  After the countryside the canalside was a little uninspiring albeit flat.  In fact, some stretches resembled a rubbish dump.  Anyway, in and out of the checkpoints, I overtook a few runners and whilst the last few miles were hard, I kept walking breaks to a minimum whilst eating or drinking and the finish soon appeared, I'm fairly sure only 2 people passed me in the last 20miles. 6hrs 36m 21s for a 27th place which I'm very pleased with.  A lovely race all in and a great start to the year, would definitely do it again.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Macca-As usual reading about your amazing efforts have me in smiling and wincing in equal measure. 43 miles!! Wow-fantastic achievement and sounds like you had a really good race and enjoyed it-although how this is possible after running for 6hrs+ I will never know. Great stuff!

Great pace in that heat John!

Very impressive speedwork and weekly mileage Phil. Good luck with the new plan.

Super weekly Mileage records Hazel and AWC.

Hope you are feeling better Joe-sounds horrible!

Good luck with the new job HA.

Nice XC Rammers. Good hard workout if not the full beans.

Dont rush the recovery Westy. Take it easy-It will come. Well done to your daughter-she sounds like she is loving it at the monent!

Like Westy I hate running in the heat and really struggle in races when it's warm. Therefore conditions today are perfect for me (and incredibly rare). Cold but not icy, dry and just a gentle breeze. Took advantage by running 20 miles with plenty of MPish miles (11 or 12 I think ) for 6:30s overall. Felt great.

• Options
    Great last minute racing Macca, these can be the most enjoyable as there is no pressure. 
    Excellent session Tom and Spoons on your long runs.
    9 miles today after a bit to much vin rouge yesterday still gives 75 for the week so very pleased.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That’s fantastic Macca. And I think Strava said 8:49 mm average. Incredible! And the bungee. Need to try that one. 

5:05 in training, Phil. Not bad! And 75 miles for the week is a step up for you, no? Bodes well for the Daniels plan. 

Great at work from Westy’s daughter. Are you stil faster than her? Enjoy it while it lasts. 

76 miles for the week for me. Highest ever. Knackered! 17 today. The plan said final three at LT. So essentially race pace. I’m hoping for 6:06s, but could only manage one of those. Still, with a massive week of running and a huge week of work I’m happy enough. Especially with last week’s long race. Looking forward to an easier week and a 5M race. 

Weather looks filthy tomorrow. Double rain and 48 mph gusts. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great one Macca. A sneaky ultra is pretty standard for you nowadays.

Great session and weekly mileage phil.

Nice one SQ. You've been pushing pretty hard the last few weeks so I wouldn't worry about not holdibg pace. You'll be ready to go after a taper.

Nice mp run Tom. The machine is back.

Good LT John.

Great to se your daughter doing well Westy.

Good xc workout Ramjet.

XC for me today. Took the kids to jnr parkrun first thing then just around the corner to my race. This was my first typical uk xc. Very, very muddy field. No huge hills just lots of little rises and dips. Calves were a bit tight in the warm up but nothing too bad and otherwise felt ok. After about half a mile I knew I was well off the pace. I think I wasn't physically up to it but then lost it a bit mentally. Quite disappointed with myself. Didn't even muster a sprint finish when Stevie G from the other thread came past on the line. Completely whiped this afternoon. Will take a day off tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good effort though HA? Sounds a sloppy affair. Spikes? 

I can’t wait for junior parkrun to be an option. Just hope my daughter actually wants to go. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Amazing interval pace Philip!

Great running by your daughter Westy. Hopefully the juniors didn't have to do the nightmare muddy hill at the end of the long lap. It was steep and a bit of a mud bath.

Fantastic running on the ultra Macca.

Great MP run Tom.

Impressive pace after all those miles SQ.

UK XC is crazy muddy HA. The courses are muddy to start with and by the time the juniors and ladies have had their races the surface can be a bit of a joke. It is definitely a mental battle as much as a physical one.

The plan said 18 for me so, as per normal when I don't want to be worrying about the pace, I took to the hills. I wasn't really feeling it and things were in danger of turning into a slog but I get a second wind towards the end and finished at a respectable pace. 79 miles for the week. And absolutely no temptation to make that 80!
  • Options
    Lots of big mileage weeks - well done all but I see Spoons has resumed his position at the top.
    That sounds like a top 20M run Tom.
    Cracking Ultra Macca & some great XC racing Ramjet, Westy's daughter & HA. The Jooligan method does unfortunately result in some slightly subpar race performances HA so maybe Friday's speedy 20M was a bit much.
    Just parkrun for me this w/e. Another 2nd. Took the lead about 600m in after overtaking the 3 doggers but soon realised I had a shadow. Pushed hard on the descents & gapped him but he clawed it back on the ascents. The last 600m was a brutal climb & he got past me with about 450m to go. It flattened at the top for a final 100m but no chance I was going to catch him by then. The half mile from 2.5-3 took 4:42!! Finished in 20:11.
    10 hilly miles brings up another 80M week for me.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Well done on the ultra Macca!
    Sorry your XC didn't go so well HA. I never do them, not in a running club so don't have the opportunity. They just look too hard to me.
    Solid running Tom, Ramjet, SQ, Phil and anyone I've missed.
    14mi today. Got some windy, wet, cold weather to contend with this week.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SQ - the thing that disappointed me most was that I didn't put in enough effort. I don't have spikes. This is the first race since school I would've used them. I run xc in a pair of inov8 x-talons. Not sure if spikes would make much difference but I didn't feel like grip was a huge problem.

Jnr pr is great. Don't need to book and pay per term like other sports or activities. My kids are 6 and my son loves it, especially when he beats older kids. I think my daughter mainly comes along so she's not left out.

Nice work on the pr Jooligan. Will have to work on the Jooligan method.

Nice lr ramjet and mlr westy.

Went to bed last night feeling like I was coming down with something but woke up feeling fine so no excuses for yesterday. Currently waiting for induction at the new job. No running today.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Again, it's taken a while to catch up.

good luck with the new job HA.

Looks like plenty of decent long runs going on. Especially for Macca.
    Am also impressed at the early mornings that are being put in. Not sure I could manage that and then do a days work. I am trying to schedule in 1 or 2 lunchtime runs a week.

In regards of "What would Jooligan do?" I went the opposite way this weekend.
    RD at parkrun and gave XC a miss Saving myself for the Stubbington 10k yesterday. The extra days rest really helped as ticking along at 6 min miles felt a bit easier. Had a decent battle with a clubmate for the majority of the race and wasn't really looking at the watch. Just sneaked ahead in the sprint for the line and was happy to get through unscathed with the clock at the finish saying 37:30. It wasn't until the chip times were published (37:14) with a quick check of Power of 10 it turned out to be a 2 second PB! Definitely wasn't expecting that.
    64 miles also for the week. May be a bit light on miles this week as am all over the place with work. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Some great racing this weekend. 

Macca - another super casual ultra, seems to work really well for you.  Impressed at how you can mix up the slow stuff without losing too much road speed. What’s your secret?

HA77 - although I don’t run XC I can imagine it’s quite a different beast to road or track racing and it must also  take time to get back into a racing mindset (think it’s your first for a while?). If you do a few more I’m sure you’ll find the extra mental toughness needed to race to expectations. Still a rapid run in those conditions. 

Impressive big weeks from SQ, ramjet, phil and jooligan. You must have a really solid base now for VLM, even P&D doesn’t have you doing this much mileage this far out!

Congrats on the PB millsy, that’s a fantastic marker to lay down amd even better when it’s a surprise one. Any thoughts of revising your VLM target? ;)

We don’t have junior parkrun here yet so my 9 year old has run with me a couple of times but it’s a bit too far to persuade her to do it regularly. I see some speedy kids though so clearly doesn’t put off the talented ones and gives us oldies extra incentive not to get beaten. 

18M yesterday at a relatively easy pace to finish just short of 70M. Going to do one more LT workout and MLR  this week before a mini taper for a HM. Ran a 87 min one at this point before my sub 3 build up so will be interesting to see where I come out. The heat has temporarily gone but been replaced by gale force winds though!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    HA - maybe you were just a bit tired...you are training for a marathon after all. 
  • Options
    HA - Shame about the XC but it's just a 'c' race at best. Also a shame I wasn't fit and running as I could have sneaked past you at the end too. I have the X-talons and I've run in spikes and I actually prefer the x-talons.

Phil - Cracking paces on those intervals, it seems like you are the tinker man of running/duathlon.

Millsy - Cracking results in the 10k, nice to get a surprise PB.

Great ultra Macca, seems like a long long way.

Solid stuff from everyone else but there's too much to read back. Oh welcome back Madbee and GWS Joe. Seeing all these long runs It reminds me of how much running I have missed.

I am back though, I've managed a couple of 4 milers and the ankle seems ok but still a bit unstable. I am hoping I can get 20-30 miles in this week and then build from there. Maybe I can just get the mileage up to tackle a 12 week plan. I've not looked at a calendar yet to see how many weeks I have left. Sub 2:40 will have gone but i'll be happy with sub 2:45.
  • Options
    AWC - Great long run and mileage.
    Macca - Super ultra running! What else do you have planned this year?
    HA - Great 20 miler.
    Millsy - Nice 10k PB!
    John - Great LT session....a 40 min 10k in training is a great run!
    SQ - Cracking run that....know how you feel about those LT miles at the end though!!

16 mile progression run on Saturday. First 8 miles averaged 8:25's then next 5 averaged 7:40's and last 3 (at around LT pace) were 6:39's. Last 3 I found really tough, again couldn't hit 6:30 pace, but got it done.
    Easy 4 mile recovery on Sunday for a 50 mile week. I actually found that progression run harder than a standard 20 mile long run!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Some great long runs and mileage last week.

Macca: another great ultra performance from you. The endurance in your legs must be incredible and also you seem to recover really well from those long distances.

Steve: that's a great progression run - I always find them more tricky than normal long runs as that LT portion is seriously hard

Reg: good to see you are back running. We are 4 weeks into the VLM plan so there are 14 weeks to go which means you have 2 weeks to get ready for the 12 week plan. Hope you ankle holds up and lets you crack on with that.

Tough week coming up with an LT session tonight and MP run on Saturday morning. Looking forward to next week's recovery week already!
  • Options
    Great unexpected ultra Macca! The rubbish tip canals sound much like some of my runs when I was up Manchester way.. it's a pity because canals can be so lovely to run along. 

Millsy, I would have seen you finish Stubbington yesterday, I was there in support of my OH and friends. I was standing just where the barriers begin to the finish line. Well done on the PB. It was a lovely day for a race, I was very jealous. 

Welcome back Madbee - I remember you from my lurking days. 

Keep up the good work everyone else! 

• Options
    Hazel - I just remembered you asked me a knee question ages ago.. No, I didn't twist it or anything like that. I do have hyper-mobile knees, so they go back a little more than normal. I am on the hunt for a good physio.. in the meantime, I've ordered another knee support to test out this week hopefully. 
  • Options
    Great work on the PB Millsy. Especially surprising as you'd had several weeks off injured not so long ago.
  • Options

Sometimes I think keeping up with this thread is harder work than running a P&D plan! 

Sounds unpleasant Joe, get well soon!

I’d have to make it to transition without drowning first Jooligan! ;) Slightly shocked you only managed a parkrun this week… :o

Well done on the biggest ever weeks Hazel and AWC.

Nice work getting out for the 20 HA. Put me down on the waiting list for a first edition copy of “What would Jooligan do?”

That’s quite a big LT session John, and sounds like the weather made it tough, so I wouldn’t worry. As you say, it’s early days and it will still have had a good training effect.

Top VO2 work Phil.

Congrats to your daughter Westy.

More epic work Macca, amazing stuff.

Great long runs Tom, SQ, Ramjet, JohnOz and SteveMac. Steve those progression long runs are indeed very tough, I never hit LT at the end either. Prior to Oxford I was about HM+20s at best I think!

Nice XCing Ramjet and HA.

Congrats on the surprise PB Millsy, nice work.

Good to hear things seem to be improving Reg.

22 miles for me yesterday. Felt like a bit of a slog at times. HR was in the right place but it felt like I was having to work a bit harder than usual sometimes. Hardly surprising at the end of a big week though I suppose, and still a decent average pace (7:01/mi).

Like SQ I’m running the Linda Franks 5M on Sunday. However, as I’ve already “spent” my recovery week on Telford, I’m planning to train through it. Don’t want to miss another long run so will probably try to get it done on Friday. Hopefully despite this I can still get an official sub-30 5M time on Sunday, after doing it unofficially in a couple of 10Ks.

• Options
    HA I like your "What would Jooligan do?" mantra.  I have a "Well, Nessie would get it done" mantra when I am whinging to myself about having too much to do at once. It is based on someone on another thread who is pretty amazing at juggling her busy life (including running...).  Good luck for the new job.  Don't be too down on the XC and I hope you are enjoying your day off today.

Congratulations re. Mini Mad Madbee.

Macca great ultra off of a low-key build up.  I looked at UTMB myself but that is a long way beyond me (at the moment?).  I am looking at a few ultras in the coming couple of years some of them alpine and mostly in Switzerland.  There is a nice 100km every June which goes almost past my front door (Biel).  Might look at doing the 35 mile option.   

Tough conditions for the LT JohnOz, the wind doesn't sound much better.    

Great running by your daughter westy.  Hope you are feeling much better.  I'll add myself to the heat-hater list.

Congratulations on your new mileage record sorequads - its a good feeling isn't it.  

Congratulations to Millsy also for the PB.  

Good to see you back out Reg.  

Nice long runs and mileage going on by many.

I'm on the bench for a few days at least by the looks of things.  I was too  pleased about my highest ever mileage week it seems.  One and a half miles into the LT phase of yesterday's run something went ouch in my right calf.  It had grumbled a bit towards the end of Thursday's MLR but had more or less eased off after a day off on Friday and Saturday morning's recovery run.  Hmm.  Havn't had any issues with it in the past so I guess I need to see how things progress.  Will miss a couple of runs but next week is a recovery week which might be a good opportunity to ease back into it. No point in rushing it though.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Madbee - I was hoping to race the BM, but started feeling unwell on Friday afternoon and not getting much sleep (2hrs). I ended up running it at around marathon effort for 1.20.36. I suspect a norovirus as I was off work with my son who was poorly at the start of last week, then by the end of the week I had a splitting headache, tiredness and now have the squits (too much info there, I'm sure).

Tom - I think it'll be the Wilmslow half for the spring A race, to give me a bit more training time (two weeks after Bath), but if I'm feeling decent when Bath comes around, I'll maybe try for an intermediate target a bit off my pb, and see what effort that requires.

Phil - Sounds like a good week of training. Reminds me - there's a good thread on achieving a sub 2.30 mara over on letsrun.com, you may find it interesting. I have the Daniels book and may consult for the next 8 weeks of half training. 

Lots to mention reading back, but definitely impressed with Maccas latest day out. Good to see people out of the sick bay (Westy, and Reg) but sad to see Hazel checking in for a while to keep JCG and Joe company. Fingers crossed it's not for long for both.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Threshold run tonight - 5 miles at 6:34/mi with 10 miles in total. That’s actually a 5 mile PB by about half a minute. Happy that I could maintain the pace I did the 4 miles LT runs at. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Yay great PB Millsy!

John - it depends what plan you are following. 70 - 85 plan has 78 on week five so I only did one extra (and that was because I sometimes go slightly over distance with runs but never under!)

Good luck with the comeback Reg.

Nice progression run Steve. I’ve done that session. I think I made sure the last three miles were slightly downhill!

Fantastic mileage and LR Spoons.

Get well soon Hazel.

Great tempo pace again AWC.

Just 6 miles recovery for me today. Thankfully the wind was behind me and I quite enjoyed it.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Sounds like you need to race a 5M or 10K soon AWC.
    Winter does seem to be hitting everyone's health hard this year. Sorry to hear you weren't 100% for BM Muddy, I heard conditions were pretty good too. A good run nevertheless.
    Bad luck Hazel. Consulting my first edition of "What Would Jooligan Do?" as I type: the answer is, of course, train & race regardless. :D Back in June 2015 calf went tight during a fell race so I carried on training (including a hill rep session), raced a 12M Leg of Cotswold Way Relay the following Saturday. Was in trouble & struggling from 8.5M with the tight calf but managed 24th of 100. Had a few days off then ran another 6M fell race Thursday which almost broke me (56th of 279) then properly popped it just over halfway through a 10K race on the Monday night. Finished in a PW of 44:35 limping badly (121st of 464). 4 days cycling & I was back on the fells for a Sat/Sun double. Unbelievably I ran a PB in Sunday's 10.3M race! Had most of the following week off running apart from a couple of short jogs then back at parkrun. Built the mileage again the following week with 4 10K+ runs including a parkrun.  Three 60+ mile weeks followed culminating in a parkrun (3rd in 19:19)/20M fell race (19th of 86) double on the Saturday & then a brutal triathlon on the Sunday: 1.7M OW swim, 40M bike around the Yorkshire Dales & a 20K fell run. Was quicker overall than I had been in 2014 & run was exactly the same time!!
  • Options
    Tired just reading that post Jooligan!   Some great mileages from plenty of people... notably sq.  And Hazel too - hope that niggle sorts itself.  And nice unplanned ultra Macca!
    Great to see madbee back... congratulations on the little one.

After a 2 week flu break, I tootled 4.5m on Sunday afternoon. Felt reasonable.  Today did a 30 minute core session and plan to ease further back into it from tomorrow.  I've bastardised the 12 and 18wk plans to come up with a 15 week P&D plan for Newport, starting with a fairly easy week this week.