Options

Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for organising!

• Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    well, managed a 17 mile shuffle on Sat, was tough, deliberately picked a hilly route knowing that Paris is relatively flat, hoping I will get all the way round, the extra 9 miles are going to be tough!
  • Options
    Got taken ill on Saturday so had to cut the run short - and still not properly recovered. My run reports of doom continue! Glad it went well nimpy! It's not long now til we'll all be on the Champs Elysees!
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Good work Nimpy, have you got a run/walk plan for Paris?
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Eggyh73 with your Two Oceans trip & run.
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Sort of, got to decide on the specifics, or it may turn into a run/walk/crawl plan.
    it's just one of those things, not had the time to dedicate to training, and boom the day is here before I knew it!

thisisben, you'll be ok, just pace yourself, walk if you have to, don't worry too much about time, just enjoy and get round in one piece!
  • Options
    Last LR (17m) in the bag here to.  I had better use my spare time to book some accommodation.

Good work on the organising Pistol, I think I’ll either be checking in or at the expo late Sat so will give the pasta a miss, would recommend based on last year though.
  • Options
    I cannot believe in two weeks it'll all be over.

I'm exhausted and my knees hurt, I hope this is normal?

Good luck to everyone with the last week and a half of prep.

As this is my first (and possibly last) marathon, does anyone have any tips/ things I might not have though of?
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Taper madness Steves_midlifecrisis! 
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going to the Expo on Thursday or Friday and running the Breakfast run? We're coming in late on Friday and can't get to Expo to get the t-shirts for the run and wondering if someone could get them?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Pistol101 - Cheers.

Steve - For anyone’s first marathon the only thing I’d say is remember to relax and take it all in. The crowds, the sights and sounds. Enjoy the experience of a big city marathon. It can be easy to get lost in race nerves and never look up from the stretch of tarmac in front of you.
  • Options
    3PC03PC0 ✭✭
    Bonsoir,

Can anyone join in the fun ?

It's been a long time since I've popped my head in here. Years ago I had the clever idea of giving a false email then RW updated their security and I couldn't sign back on.

Pistol - I would love to come up to Paname, Sunday is going to be difficult but Saturday should be ok.

Nimpy - run walk is a great option  especially as the woods at the end has sparse support. If you run then walk, you could be very lonely.

PC
  • Options
    DoddsDodds ✭✭
    So last long run all done and now just trying to tick over.

Pistol - Def count me in for the pasta. I will head to the Frog after the race but my train back is booked early eve so I might miss some of you. Sorry not getting into Paris till late on Friday.

Steves-midlifecrisis - Relax is a good tip from Eggyh73, nervous energy is still energy you will need. The body reacts to stress from running the same as other stress, so the more relaxed the better. The 2nd best tip I was given by a coach once was 'when it gets tough, just keep running'! Finally don't change anything, fuel, kit, fluid plan etc.

thisisben - sorry to hear, take your time to recover. One or two training runs wont impact.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    PC is back in the house! :)

Well I doubt I'll be online much over the next couple of weeks as I fly out to Cape Town tonight. Good luck with your runs in Paris everyone. I hope you enjoy the race and the city as much as I have over the years. Looking forward to reading about some great run upon my return.

Now I'm off to either run an ultra, or get eaten by a lion.
  • Options
    Good luck Eggyh73 and thanks for the advice and to Dodds and Pistol101.

> @Pistol101 said:
    > Is anyone going to the Expo on Thursday or Friday and running the Breakfast run? We're coming in late on Friday and can't get to Expo to get the t-shirts for the run and wondering if someone could get them?

I'm planning on getting to the Expo on Friday afternoon and then do the breakfast run on Saturday, so could collect t-shirts, just let me know what i'd need regards id/ order number?
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    I'm planning on getting to the Expo on Friday afternoon and then do the breakfast run on Saturday, so could collect t-shirts, just let me know what i'd need regards id/ order number?
    That would be brilliant - last year it was just the names they needed. I'll message you next week about it.

I've just checked the weather forecast and it's showing 17C and sunny! Paris has a habit of arranging a hot and sunny day! Lets hope they are wrong as the days around it are a few degrees cooler!
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Last year was mental, sssooooo hot, caught a lot of people off guard, including me lol
    Thought the convocation would have been available by now, but still not! Sure it was available this time last year..
  • Options
    AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    I was just looking at the weather forecast in Paris for marathon weekend too!

It's forecast for highs around the mid-teens and rainy over that whole general period (albeit supposedly dry on the Sunday as you say) so it doesn't look as though it'll change too drastically. I'd prefer it to be dry and a bit cooler, but it could be worse.

I had my last long run at the weekend, a solid 22-miler at 4:43 per km, so I'm trying to figure out a target time now. Current PB is 3:19 at Richmond Park last year and feel like I'm in similar shape if not a shade better, so hopeful for a new PB given the significantly flatter course! Any advice?!
  • Options
    3PC03PC0 ✭✭
    AW3 - how about 3.18 ?

Previous years runners posted Gold Silver and Bronze times.  Gold being a time which you're so happy, you'll buy everyone a pint. Silver being a great time and Bronze a happy performance. 
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Eggy!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Hello PC, how are you?
  • Options
    M4ttyM4tty ✭✭
    Hey all, it's my first post here and will be my first marathon in Paris - it's all starting to feel very real now (eek). Training has been going well but I guess you never feel completely prepared. Anyway... I'll be travelling alone and keen to meet up for a drink (or two) afterwards. What time will people start making their way to the Frog Revolution? Hope to see you all there!
  • Options
    Hi just wondering if anyone has experience with getting a refund? I recently found out that something is wrong with my heart (Surprise finding as I’m healthy and only 34 with no cardiac problems in the family). Absolutely gutted of course esp with all the training I’ve put in. So of course The dr will not sign my medical consent. I did not buy cancellation insurance and I have purchased the VIP experience including VIP supporter pass so we are talking 318 euros!!! I explained to ASO who will not give me a refund even though it is for a medical reason. I have read that all registrations are final etc but I do not think this is fair esp since I have a medical reason. Is that really legal to not give refunds/allow transfers? Does anyone have any tips or experience chasing refund? I’m currently following their complaints procedure. 
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    minminminminh sorry to hear that, must be gutted, sorry I can't help with the refund
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    > @3PC0 said:
    > AW3 - how about 3.18 ?

>

> Previous years runners posted Gold Silver and Bronze times.  Gold being a time which you're so happy, you'll buy everyone a pint. Silver being a great time and Bronze a happy performance. 

mine can be just getting round this year !!
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your heart minminminminh, but i'm glad you found out now rather than on race day. You could probably 'unofficially' sell the place on to someone else.
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    M4tty said:
    Hey all, it's my first post here and will be my first marathon in Paris - it's all starting to feel very real now (eek). Training has been going well but I guess you never feel completely prepared. Anyway... I'll be travelling alone and keen to meet up for a drink (or two) afterwards. What time will people start making their way to the Frog Revolution? Hope to see you all there!
    Last year we went to the pub from about 5pm. I'll double check race timings are the same.

Are you in for Pasta on the Saturday night?
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I don't think they will give refunds unless you purchased the cover.  Sorry to hear about the heart issues.

Not long now everyone. I will keep the easter eggs for after the race otherwise I will rock up carrying an extra half a stone.

Can anyone describe the course?  Am I right in thinking that its mostly flat but slightly downhill at the start and pulls slightly uphill towards the end?

• Options
    Great to read everyone is getting excited. After a lot of long hard thinking, and some tears at the weekend, I've decided to DNS :disappointed: After 3 weeks off running altogether with Tendonitis, I'm just not quite in the shape to get around 26.2 without doing myself any more damage....
    So, should anyone want to run the risk, there is a spare female bib going.

Bonne chance all!
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    PG3 said:

Can anyone describe the course?  Am I right in thinking that its mostly flat but slightly downhill at the start and pulls slightly uphill towards the end?

The race is pretty flat. The Champs Elysees is downhill at the start, but you start towards the bottom of it so you may get 0.25 miles of nice downhill! You get a gentle incline from about 5 miles to 8 miles. 8-20 is flat except coming out of the tunnels, there are a 3 i think. Just after 20 miles you get a climb into the park which is hard work at that point. The park is flat through to the finish.