Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good work everyone. Terrible run this afternoon. Laborious from the start. At 11miles had to stop and rest. Ran another mile but physically spent so walked home. Had water but still dehydrated. Heat, humidity, post virus, just a bad day or a bit of everything. Feel pretty rough still.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like fun, JT. Hope you pick up soon.

Nice hare spot, Hazelnut. Always bigger than you imagine them to be.

Well, I sprung out of bed this morning after a good early night. The sun wasn't even up when I got on the road just after 5am. Nice and cool after more balmy weather but was still drenched in sweat after my 5 mile route to the marshes and back. Lovely mist hanging by the river and some raucous Moorhens trying to walk on water. This morning route has turned into somewhat of a progression run. The first mile is always a sleepy, slightly stiff affair, followed by a couple of steady, grungy miles. I'm nicely warmed by mile 4 and then the downhill final mile is usually me pegging it back for a bowel movement. It's taking training to the next level.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Take it easy, JT.
    Will, I find a morning coffee usually helps me take care of business before I run. Saves a brush with the dreaded turtle's head. :lol: 
    A terrible night's sleep - hot and uncomfortable and couldn't get back to sleep after the third time I woke up, which was at 3am. :/
    I did get to parkrun anyway - my choice for today was Crystal Palace, which was having its 400th event, and which I'd not visited before, although I'd been there as a child to look at the dinosaurs around the lake.
    There are a couple of different courses but the long summer course we had today was one interesting but undulating lap with 38m of climb in the first mile (most of it fairly gentle, but still enough to result in a less than stellar mile split) and then a mixture of flat and downhill for the rest. There were several short, steep downhill bits that I found very challenging - more so than the initial climb. Need to practise, obviously.
    It's an interesting course, though, with a lot to look at on the way around (sphynx statues, the aforementioned dinosaurs and the big old transmitter) and plenty of shade. Time was a modest 26:32 but given the elevation, heat and my lack of sleep, I'm content with that. I got an age group 1st and was 18th lady of 118 so that's not too bad either.
  • Options
    Sounds like a pukka Parkrun, Cal, and that's a really good 'hot' time. I must do a bit more Parkrun tourism myself. Unfortunately,  it's the motion rather than coffee that gets my bowels going, so I'm stuck with the turtle!

I got out early again this morning for a longie before the heat got bad. I took a bit of a different route, which freshened things up and I had my best run for ages. Everything felt good and I really had a strong second wind after 7 miles. Legs powered me on to make the last 2 miles the quickest and I finished on just under 11 miles in 1:41 - good pace for me. Hoping to fit in a few more miles before hols on Tuesday and then keep in some sort of shape as I have a night trail half on 31st August, starting at 8pm with headtorches. Happy running to you all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Some strong running going on guys, seems like you're back on track too Cal after Parkrun

Will- night trail race sounds good, where is this? I'm considering one in Kielder Forest at the end of the year, will bring a whole new experience to the trails

Couple of days off from running for me, Thursday steady cycle and gym, yesterday felt quite lethargic and took it as a rest day, as opposed to a steady run

Anyway, rest day did me good. Long run this morning, 1hr 45mins, came in at 15.1miles. Felt good, feel like I'm on track for marathon. Weather was as close to perfect as we can ask for. Saw a few runners out, one of whom becoming a regular sighting on the same stretch of road, always in an England football top- in spite of the World Cup is long over!
  • Options
    Will, I hope that second wind wasn't anything to do with your bowels. :lol:  Good pace, though.
    Nice long run, EF.
    Don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight, either - noisy football guys next door are playing music and having a kickabout in their garden, which has been going on for several hours now. I hate those guys.
    Got a bit of a show from the downstairs neighbours when I returned from parkrun, though - heard them laughing in the garden, looked out and one was completely naked. :o I don't think he realises I can see into their garden.

• Options
    21 miles today, which is amazing considering I got maybe two or three hours of sleep thanks to not one but two lots of noisy neighbours (football twats and then the people downstairs) as well as the infernal heat. Not a good night.
    Run was good though - ran to Wimbledon Common and then around there (Runthrough were doing a race later and the directional arrows were very handy as Wimbledon is a big common with a lot of trails). Saw a dead fox on the way there and a live bunny on the common.
    Finished in 3:38:13 feeling there was more left so that's good. But I really need some sleep.
  • Options
    Hmm - not sure about the red face avatar (though my face was almost that colour post run today...)

Take it easy JT - hope you are feeling better in the meantime.

Nice early runs Will.  That trail half sounds interesting.  Have a good journey and holidays.

Nice pr Cal and an enormous LR on little sleep.  Can you have a word (or two?) with those neighbours?  Was it good viewing at least?

Swift 15 that EF.  

Just short of 7 miles recovery yesterday with 10 x strides - managed to concentrate enough to count to 10 this time.

Today 15 miles in 2:02 with 11 @ planned mara pace (8min/mile pace).  The mara pace section went well - I am getting on much better with these runs this time around.  All of the 11 miles were at or slightly faster than mara pace.  Ran laps to take advantage of two water sources for regular soaking of my headwear which helped me cope with the heat (25 degrees by the time I was finished).  Am also short on sleep - heat, humidity and a friend dropped in stay for the night involving a late meal and lots of talk.
  • Options
    The downstairs neighbours, yes - I did go down twice last night. Guy apologised but took a second visit down there to get the music to an acceptable level. That was 2.30am, btw. Young people don't seem to get it.
    Next door...no. They're arseholes.
    Well done on the 15. It's challenging out there for all of us right now. Really looking forward to Autumn...

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great long milers EFlow, Hazel and Cal.
    10miles this afternoon mostly offroad in 1hr19. Went okay, not the run death of last time out. Passed a couple in a secluded spot by the river getting very amorously gropey. Handfuls of each other. Passed them again on the way back 40mins later and they were still going at it. Makes you proud.
  • Options
    Great distance heat running Hazelnut, Cal + EF. I'm looking forward to cooler conditions now, after Heatwave UK, although I'm not going to find that in Montenegro, where I'm heading tomorrow. Glad my debut marathon training plan will be starting in chilly November. 

Glad you had a better run, JT. I blame the heat for all that frolicking. 

The night half that I'm doing is organised by Night trails UK and follows one of the national walking paths from just outside Norwich out to Langley. Hi viz and headtorches obligatory. Should be fun, if I can stay on my feet.

Double helpings of my Mum's Coronation Chicken and Eton Mess at lunchtime needed running off last night, so I headed out on my 5 mile marshes route. It was still very warm and a medium pace was about all I could manage. On the edge of the trail section another runner was crouched, taking photos of a tiny, stray-looking kitten, that was feeding on some McDonald's debris. I wondered if he was planning on cat-napping it. They weren't there on my return. No amorous couples on the marshes, just a pair of shady looking bench drinkers. Run done and I hit my weekly mileage target. I now have 17 days away and must find the discipline to fit some balkan miles in.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    It’s been all about the early morning runs for me to escape the heat, though doesn’t get quite as hot in the north! Some good miles going on given the weather and lack of sleep.

Steady six miles yesterday morning, was very busy as York 10k was going on a couple of hours later. No sights worth noting, all a bit dull really. And I’m not fuelled by coronation chicken and Eaton mess, which even is I type this over breakfast, sounds tasty!

Enjoy Montenegro Will, I hear it’s beautiful out there
  • Options
    Good you are feeling better JT and your run provided some entertainment.

Might need to pay your mum a visit Will.  

6 recovery for me this morning with 6 x strides.  Legs surprisingly fresh after yesterday's MP run.  Not too much for me to look at this morning either but I wasn't really awake enough to take in my surroundings on the first few miles.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I love a bit of coronation chicken. I bought some a while ago already reduced to clear. Finished it a couple of weeks later. Didn't feel very well.
    9.75miles in 1hr12 this morning. Cooler. Pace was a bit erratic. There was a lone trumpeter practicing at the furthest recesses of the Knavesmire.
  • Options
    It's still hot down here, JT, but is supposed to cool down tomorrow. I really hope it does. I've been operating on such little sleep recently and I really need to get some good nights in.
    I did a 4 mile recovery today. Was going for 6 but my achilles was grumpy and I didn't want to angery it any more, as I've two races this coming weekend. This week is a bit of a cut-back - I logged my highest total last week (48 miles) so my body needs a bit of recovery time. Having said that, achilles aside, my legs feel surprisingly OK after Sunday's 21 miler.
    Enjoy your break, Will!
  • Options
    Some big miles you're logging Cal, hope you can get that achilles sorted though.
    Having a little bit of a cut back week this week, yesterday was my first experience of pilates (which was just what my body needed) and my usual Monday night spin. An early steady 7 miles this morning, loop up in to town and back via the river and racecourse. Only news to report on was dispute between a cyclist and pedestrian, no harm done to either, I just found it quite amusing.
  • Options
    Maybe the trumpeter plays so many wrong notes he needs to hide from the general public JT.  I've so far met practicing bagpipes and alphorns on my runs - no trumpeters yet.

Enjoy your cut back weeks Cal and EF.

I'm also looking forward to a bit of a cool-down here - even if it might only be for a couple of days.   I'm just trying to do my best despite the weather and am just ticking off the runs one by one. I've been able to stick to mileage and pace targets - it has just been harder work to do so.  This week is my peak mileage week (55).  

Just short of 12 miles for me this morning in 1:46.  No sun for once so it felt a bit cooler - very humid though, it felt as though I was running in soup.  Saw a lonely white fungus in the wood - would have thought it is too dry for those at the moment.  Enjoyed watching a thunderstorm a few miles away traversing the sky - far enough away for comfort though I did feel a few drops of rain.  Met one of my Tuesday evening group out on a run.  He is also running mornings rather than evenings at the moment.
  • Options
    Took a rest day yesterday. I wasn't actually intending to but I couldn't seem to get going at all. I guess Sunday caught up with me. But I went out for a slightly drizzly 10 miler this morning. Saw a lot of cats including the ginger streak, and two foxes. No interesting birds today, but I did a lot of my run on back streets away from the common as I wanted to get a bit more elevation in there. I've just found out the 5K I'm running on Sunday is anything but flat. Uh oh.
  • Options
    Uh oh sounds about right, must be difficult to pace something like that.  Well done on the 10 miler. 

Just short of 12 miles (19km) for me again today, 6.8 (11km) of which were done at around 10 mile race pace.  Tough workout - was feeling it by 2 miles already but got it done without fading badly.  Sweated like a pig.   Lots of grasshoppers and small dragonflies.  2 friendly horseriders to exchange good mornings with (was warming up at the time - at 10 mile race pace they would have got a nod only!).  
  • Options
     Is 10 mile pace your lactate pace, Hazelnut? I must admit I'd find it hard to do that in training.
  • Options
    Very hot here in Montenegro,  but dry heat so not so bad. Had a run along the prom this morning at 7am. Impressive mountain backdrop and crystal seas. Lots of people about, including many non-nodding runners and some bedraggled couples crawling off the beaches still in clubbing garb. A nice 5.5 km (in Europe now) at a half decent pace and managed to find an ATM and a decent bakery. Followed this by a few laps of the bay on a pedalo. Avian highlight are the Red Rumped Swallows.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
     Hello MLRers and thanks for the wishes.
    I've been keeping a very low profile as things are going from bad to worse with my mum's health, and unlikely to improve really at this stage.  I had foolishly hoped the decline was due to the heatwave, and that certainly didn't help things, but there are other much more complex and untreatable issues. The last year since mum and stepdad moved in with us have been so very challenging, and it's been a hell of a summer holiday.  It's just as well I'm a teacher and have been off. Anyway, wrong forum for this.
    I'm off with husband and kids to Corfu for ten days at the weekend, thank god (parents are going into respite care).  I'll pack my running shoes and do some short runs if / when the heat allows, and plenty swimming in the sea.

I've been getting out for runs during the heatwave and over the summer holidays, very early, and mainly in the shade in the forest, and it is the only thing that has stopped me tipping over the edge (although that edge is close). It is quite literally running away from my problems!  :D Swimming's also been a blessed relief, open water whenever possible.

Runs of note include a new regular speed session in a field in Epping Forest at the top of my road, which is easier to fit in. Also I accompanied a friend for a 12 miler on Saturday, as she is training for Chicago marathon. That was my longest run for some months, and it was very enjoyable. Otherwise it's been running for therapy, not miles or pace.

• Options
    Sorry to hear that, Nessie - it's tough dealing with ageing parents but more so if you have children to take care of as well. I hope your holiday brings you some blessed relief.
  • Options
    My sympathies too Nessie.  I was hoping your abscence was due to you being busy in a primarily positive way. 

I hope that you can enjoy your holiday. 

Cal: I picked my lactate pace based on P&D which states 15k to HM race pace.   It is tough in training, in particular I find it difficult not to overcook the first 2-3km as I am not good at running to specific paces.

Will that sounds lovely.  Enjoy.

No run for me yet today - just wanted to drop a line to Nessie.
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hyde Park 10K today. Great conditions (sun but not too warm) so I pushed on. Felt a bit sick during the 4th mile so I was definitely slower on the second lap but I went under 52 minutes again (51:49). Just 9 seconds outside my PB, though I suspect the PB course was a little bit short. Or it could just be I am faster in the evening? Maybe. I love getting a PB but I'm happy to get close to it today.
    Met up with another RW poster after and we had an ice cream. Saw the Household Cavalry having a ride about. Nice day out.
  • Options
    That's good to get so close to your PB Cal - well done.  And must have been nice to meet up like that.

5 recovery yesterday evening feeling quite sprightly.

Felt quite tired on the 20 miles today (well just short actually as I work in km and did 32 of those), I didn't sleep too well and could have had a nap under a convenient tree at any time.  Made a decent job of the run though finishing in 2:57.  Did one of my standard long run routes taking in a golf course and a local lake.  Not too many golfers out at 9am yet so I could safely cross the couple of fairways.   I've actually covered just short of 70 miles in the last 7 days my highest total yet as I did two long runs in that time (at each end).  Need to juggle things for next week as I have a midweek race. 
  • Options
    Oh that's a lot of miles, Hazelnut! You seem to be coping with it well.
  • Options
    And part 2 of my double today - Wimbledon 5K Dash. The name is a misnomer. It might be 5K but there's a bloody great hill in the middle, which is steep up and equally difficult going down. Needless to say it wasn't my finest 5K. I ran it in around 26:15 or 16 - the race wasn't chip timed so I don't suppose my final result will differ much from the official one.
    The race was well organised but I won't be doing it again as I despise steep downhills. It's one I entered for my club, as it's part of the Surrey Road League which we're trying to score points in. However, only five of us showed up, compared to multiple numbers from the other SW London and Surrey clubs, which is disappointing. Ah well.
    I rather wish they'd kept it entirely within the park, which is lovely. On the way there I passed the lake which had a huge amount of waterfowl, including swans with fluffy cygnets and a whole gaggle of geese - Canada, Greylad and more Egyptian geese than I've ever seen in one place.
  • Options
    Some big miles there Hazelnut, good work.
    Cal- not a fan of steep des bets either, and after living in Epsom for a few years, I should’ve become accustomed to them! Plenty of good running menories on the Downs and Box Hill

A bit of a tick over week for me, but took advantage of fresh legs and got a bit of speed in. A little marathon pace tester today, clocked a half in 1:28 on a dreary, wet morning. Sets me up nicely for the Cheshire 20 (miles) in early September. Perhaps goes against the convention/wisdom of running that intensity in training, but felt good, so sod science, just run...(and Friday night was a rare night of excess, plenty of fuel in the tank!).