Comments

• Options
    Final run out before Sundays Half in Windsor.. 4.38 miles

YTD 484.06
  • Options
    Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Good luck tomorrow Lilly.
    Still ticking over nicely i see Dubai, keep it up.
    Donnie - as others have said, well done making the call risk vs reward ... sometimes thats the tougher call.
    PompeyMatt - glad to hear you're back at it, always good to hear someone has come back.
    SenidM - excellent to hear you're straight back under the 2 for the HM.
    Hobie - nice number 1111.
    MrM2 - great work, you sound like a man very much in control of his running lol.
    Harmander - Terrific news on the GNR Pacing and especially on Tokyo. Easy to forget as we see you post so many marathons that you still have goals/ambitions in running that you want to achieve, great to hear this mate.
    My lurgy returned with renewed vigour after my ten miler and I was just pole-axed for days ... couldn't do any running until wednesday. The Glasgow Half (Great Scottish Run) is tomorrow and thankfully I'm gonna be able to run it ... but in what time is anyone's guess. I'm gonna set off at PB pace and see just where I break lol.
    26 Sep - 4.0m
    28 Sep - 4.0m
    YTD: 1042.39 Miles
  • Options
    Thank you Steven Morrison 2 - yes I am only human .  My other targets to reach 150 marathons by the time I am 60 (next July) but it is looking like that VLM 2019 might be the one.  I have promised t cut down on the number of marathons a year to 4 when I reach the average of 4/year since turning 18 (One every 90 days) At present, the average is just over a 100 days.
    Welcome back Pompey Matt.
    Well done Hobie 1495.
    SenidM -
    I can only offer Donnie2 (and others) my own training/experience without saying it is the best way. I believe I have shared it before. I find that one 'hits the wall' about a third of the distance past their normal longest/recent run if running at race pace. So it seems to make sense that running a 20 miler will reduce the chances of hitting the wall before about 27 miles.
    Another 'trick' is to aim to get to 80% of the total distance within 75% of the target time. You then have 25% of time left to cover 20% of the distance.
    Ran 13.71 miles on Tuesday & Thursday plus 10.19 miles today including Parkrun making my 
    YTD = 1952.03 miles.
    Got Ealing Half tomorrow

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Good to see a flurry of activity on here! 
    Lilly  Hope that all goes well at Windsor.
    S M 2 Trust that Glasgow doesn't break you!
    Harmander  Just a half tomorrow; must feel like a walk in the park? What pace?

Needed a confidence booster today, after some sub-standard miles earlier this week.
    The sunshine by the sea helped greatly; running 4 of my 5 miles at mara.pace. Happy.
    September added another 117 miles. (Monthly average is close to 130 this year) 
    YTD 1163'  Planning two or three easy, short runs next week, before Chester.
  • Options
    10.56 miles

YTD 1337.47 miles
  • Options
    7 miles today, including a 5 mile race in 34.49.

626 YTD 
  • Options
    Nice work Andrew
    Quiet couple of days for me on final Uni visit trip to Manchester, great city...but no running.
    I did manage a 9 mile coast path trail run on Friday before we left including a bit of a crash into a sticky up root, bit of a gash in my leg fixed with a few steristrips and a day or two off.

1124 miles YTD...quietish week this week with Cardiff Half next weekend.
  • Options
    Good miles clocked up Dubai, Andrew and Hobie..

Windsor was tough today with a lot of steady inclines and hills.. My legs started to fade at mile 10 which was frustrating but not suprising when I just had a 2 week holiday before.. 

So a poor 2 hours 20 when I was hoping to be closer to 2 hours, still Royal Parks in 2 weeks a 1 more chance to try and run a sub 2 hours.

13.2 miles

YTD 497.26 and a recover run tomorrow will get me over 500
  • Options
    YTD: 858.2 + 1+ 3.1+ 2 = 864.3

Been to the gym twice, lots of foam rolling, balance ball plus a little bit of running and the Saturday parkrun.

Thanks for the advice about marathon training. Sun 13th Oct in York is 'D' day! Definitely time to taper. I'll keep doing bits and pieces at the gym on the treadmill and I'm still thinking about on outdoor 7 miles in an hour on Thursday. 

Lilly: good effort at Windsor, here's to the Royal Parks.

MrMM: Good luck at Chester, lets hope there's a positive story to tell.

Hobie: Nothing to do with running, but Manchester, great city and great Uni, could do a lot worse.

• Options
    MrM2,
    It was at 2:30 pace - I did 2:29:15. With that in the bag my 
    YTD = 1965.13 miles
    Hillingdon Challenge Marathon tomorrow morning
  • Options
    Harmander – Nice work at the Ealing Half, 2000 miles just a breath away now – SUPERB!
    MrM2 – Hope the prep for Chester goes to plan, you sound right on top of things.
    Dubai – You’re like a metronome sir!
    AndrewD – that’s a pronto 5 mile race, great running!
    Hobie – Ouch! Sorry to hear about gash, but glad it seems to be a simple fix, hope you’re prep for Cardiff this weekend goes to plan.
    Lilly – Well done on the Half mate; and well done on getting over the 500 today (as planned)
    Donnie – Watch the Maranoia, the work is done – you’re ready!

Well Glasgow Half was a mixed bag for me. My plan was to set off at 8:00 min/miles (Sub 1:45:00 - just) and just see how long I could hold it. I set my PB in March (1:47:37) so I thought even if I break down, I still might manage to hold on and get a new PB.
    OOOF! – Things were going to plan up to mile 5, I was right on 8 min/miles but it was becoming clear to me that I wasn’t gonna be able to hold this pace until the finish, the course gets a bit ‘undulating’ between 5 and 7 and by the time I went past the 7 mile marker I had lost a minute. I managed to stop the rot for the next 2 miles and got back to nearly 8 min/miles. But after that – I was holding on with everything I had. I could feel the tide of runners gently drifting away from me and there was nothing I could do about it. Each time I tried to steel myself to pick up the pace, I was met with gauge blinking red for empty. From miles 11 to the finish I was almost blinkered to anything except just keeping going. Mindlessly repeating mantras to myself ‘Keep it compact’ ‘Keep it controlled’ ‘Nice and tidy’ – I was exhausted.
    I saw the 400m to go board and tried to rally myself to bring it home with a finish. It felt to me like I sped up, but I’d bet money that there was absolutely no increase in speed whatsoever lol. I knew from 200m out that my PB wasn’t happening but considering the last few weeks I’m very happy with my time. But I hope I forget this race very quickly, that was one of the least pleasant afternoon’s of running I have ever experienced.
    30 Sep – 13.11 Miles (1:48:13)
    YTD: 1055.5 Miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Lilly  Well done (faster than Harmander....) It's in the bag, now move on.
    Harmander   ACE! 
    SM2   A tough one for you. Learn from it; there is always something to learn. Thanks for your comments. Always like to feel that I arrive at the start line knowing that I've done the best with what I've got. It's trite but true, 'when you fail to plan, you plan to fail'. Having said that, you've always got to respect the distance, and be ready to accept that it doesn't always come together.
    Just 5km for me today...on treadmill!!  1166' YTD
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks Steven. Shame you had a tough afternoon at the HM.

Rolled out an easy 3 miler this morning, to take me up to 629 YTD.

• Options
    Hey chaps

Thanks Donnie, and you will nail it in a few weeks.. all the hard work will pay off!

MrM2 good advice and now on to the next one.. 

Steven cheers pal, nice to finally get to 500 miles.. quite a milestone for me, now to really push on.. unlucky in Glasgow pal, but sounds like you gave it everything! I really do enjoy your post race reports.. Was a great effort..

So today i got out and did 5k to get my limbs moving again.. Really sore which is the first time for a quite a while really, legs, back, abs all hurting! I think the lack of running due to niggly injuries really has caught up with me but hope to be through the worst of it now and cant start gettibg some solid miles in...

YTD 500.26! 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well done getting through 500 Lilly- sounds like you’ve had a difficult year with injuries so to still have racked up that many miles is good work!

3.5 tonight, takes me to 632.5 YTD 
  • Options
    Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Harmander: I trust the Marathon went well, I'm betting you've got an update that we'll all be congratulating you for.
    MrM2: Aye, I'll learn my lesson - don't get sick for 2 and a half weeks in the build up to a race lol.
    AndrewD: As consistent as always - excellent.
    Lilly: I have plenty of sympathy with you on the soreness, I only managed to get back out this morning and even then it wasn't pretty.
    I had sorted all my kit on Tuesday night, planning to run on Wednesday morning. Wasn't happening, I woke up feeling completely done in - so I listened and rested. Wife was delighted that my running gear was littering the house until this morning ;) Dragged myself out the door and had a nice few miles to start with and then felt the fatigue wash over me ... unfortunately I had run too far away from the house to cut the run short - so I backed off the pace and coasted home. I had planned to try and increase the mileage again after the HM, but I'll just ease myself back in until I feel stronger methinks.
    4 Oct - 6.9m
    YTD: 1062.4 Miles
    PS: It's sure getting dark again in the mornings.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Dark and, at least around our way this morning, cold and foggy too!
  • Options
    Well done on passing 500 miles Lilly, good work.
    Steven, as always, they can't all feel epic, gently easing back in sounds like a plan...the Mojo will return.

6 miles at running club last night and nearly 6 today as a last run before Cardiff Half this Sunday....not a fan of flat races but will give it my best.

1142 miles YTD
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just 4 country miles today, nr Oxford. (3 at mara.pace) Next miles in Chester.
    Hobie   All the best for Cardiff.
    YTD...1170
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

4 miles last night. My knees are complaining at me this morning.

636.5 YTD

• Options
    Morning all,

A very busy couple of weeks in the office, well on site actually hence no updates last week.

Hobie, Good luck for Sunday's Cardiff HM, I am sure it will be a walk in the park, especially after a 17.04 for 2.6 miles, so 1.25 ish :D

Andrew, Great 5 mile run, well done.

Lilly, Great effort at Windsor, best of luck of at the Royal Parks next weekend, fingers cross!

MrM2, Good luck with Chester on Sunday, look forward to the report.

Dubai, Great running still, only 5-6 weeks to Nepal!

Donnie, Enjoy the taper next week before York, as for advice I would only second the advice from our other fellow runners, I would only add that only you know your own body and what works for you, and with the recent good run at the HM, whatever you are doing, seems to be working!

Steven, I do love reading your race reports, you do have a way of transporting us there with you, still a very respectable run and only 34 seconds from a PB if my maths is correct, so a Great run Sir!
    As for me, I have just been training as usual and then on Tuesday I went to Hillingdon and met Harmander for our little outing together.
    The marathon is 14 laps of the cycle path, each lap being 1.88 miles, as I am running the Ultra on Sunday, I used this as a nice steady training run just to catch up with people.
    I run at a very steady 6 min/km pace and maintained this finishing in 4.14.09. I do believe if I wasn't running on Sunday I could have pushed for a sub 4, as I felt pretty good.
    I had a lovely sports massage yesterday, so all ready for Sunday Gulp!

On another note, I believe Harmander had a pretty difficult race, I did run with him for a lap which was good, but later on I think his recent injury must have been causing problems as he shouted out he was struggling and I saw him stopped, stretching on a few occasions.
    I do hope he is okay as I would have thought he would have been on here by now and I have just had a look and note that no time or distance has logged for Tuesday?

Harmander, hope are you okay?

24.09.18 - 6.25
    25.09.18 - 10
    27.09.18 - 6.25
    28.09.18 - 5
    02.10.18 - 26.2

YTD = 951.35 (So hopefully a 1000 by next weekend)
  • Options
    Thank you David Charman,
    Yes I was struggling and will not be highlighting this one in my memoirs for various reasons that will discourage others on this forum if detailed.
  • Options
    Harmander, glad you are okay, we all have our bad days, hopefully Toronto will be a good day for you. Take care.
  • Options
    Harmander, sorry to hear you had such a rough one. Take care of yourself sir and all the best.
  • Options
    Thank you all.
    Just wondering - shall I add the mileage done to my total or not?
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    864.3 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 875.3

SM2: First time I've stopped by since your Glasgow HM, I sense your disappointment and can almost hear the effort expended. Well done.

MM2: Chester on Sunday? Go well and be sure to report back.

Lily: 500 up, when is the Royal Parks half? Are you near Bushy Park, the original Park Run?

Dave: You do love a multi lap mid week marathon and love hearing about them. Well done, onwards and upwards to the ultra. 

Harmander: Sorry to hear about the difficulties at Hillingdon, hope they're soon forgotten. I'd say a big loud 'yes' to counting the miles.

I'm one week from my annual marathon. I'm now convinced my left hamstring is tight enough to snap, I've woken up with cramp in my right calf and my throat is sore. I'm falling apart, well, at least in my imagination. Three runs this working week, all on the treadmill, all thinking the above assortment of issues, real or otherwise, would cause me to pull up. I'm excited as can be about next week, but for the sake of the household, it'll probably be for the best when its all over. 

EDIT: Sat on sofa, right hamstring now getting a bit of a twinge! 
  • Options
    Donnie2

Royal Parks is on 14 October I recall.

• Options
    Hey Donnie

As Harmander says Royal Parks is the 14th, so just a week away now... I am in Billericay,

I never really get the chance to do any Park runs due to work commitments which is a shame. I would really like to do them at some point. 
  • Options
    Oh and Harmander you should most certainly add your miles run.. They all count and every one is well and truly earnt!!

Shame this one didnt go to plan but you will lead the way again soon!
  • Options
    842 miles so far.... some weeks as little as 10 some as much as 34 but on track to smash 1000 by november. Havent done a competitive run for a couple or three years so maybe think about a spring half. I tend to run 75% at easy to threshold and 25% high intensity, I'm hoping this will have a good effect!