Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Midnight Oil panic over; they are Mrs lowrez's favourite and I would have given them priority but she has declined the opportunity - in other news some incredible "restricted view" extra tickets for The Eagles at the Echo Arena Liverpool have just been released so I have snapped up a couple - "restricted" in the form of being completely edge on to the stage but within spitting distance of it, so you wouldn't get much of a view of the big screen behind them, but you do have a clear view of what is happening on stage - I did this for Guns n Roses a few years back and it was awesome

• Options
    Max - Wow! A great read.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it Terry & Slow Duck. Perhaps we should form a sub-group Terry, just for Comrades with dodgy tickers. I see from Strava you're 'ticking over' and still getting the runs in. Hopefully you'll have more Comrades to come once your issues are sorted. Lowrez, sounds like you've clutched victory from the jaws of defeat with the Eagles tickets. Saw a live version of Hotel California on YouTube the other day, it was incredible. Don't spit on the band tho' it's not the Sex Pistols! 
  • Options
    Thanks Dannirr. Your race in the Alps looks like an amazing challenge, but will be so rewarding and the views should be out of this world.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2019 Qualification
    27Aug Qualification Starts
    16Sep Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    Berlin (M) Running Rodent-Q4:44-PenH
    24Sep
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy (IM) Peter R-Q3:48-PenB-Going-for-Green
    07Oct
    Chester (M) seren nos-Q4:28-PenG, marty74-Q3:25-PenC
    07Oct
    Bremen (M) Becca7-Q4:28-PenG
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC
    21Oct
    Amsterdam (M) mordo-Q4:39-PenH, Mac3-Q3:20-PenC seagypsy-Q4:20-PenG
    27Oct
    Beachy Head (M) Debra Bourne-Q4:48PenH
    28Oct
    Marine Corps (M) jkissane-Q3:21-PenC
    04Nov
    Soweto Marathon (M) Bike It-Q4:46-PenH
    04Nov
    New York (M) Matt..-Q3:59-PenD
    18Nov
    Mega Challenge (M) TCP-Q4:44-PenH
    02Dec
    California International Marathon (M) Dannirr-Q4:36-PenH
    06Jan
    Xiamen (M) 1owrez-Q4:48-PenCC
    13Jan
    Hobart (M) marty74
    02Feb
    Pilgrim Challenge (U) mordo
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    17Feb
    St Valentine's (30k) Becca7
    25Feb
    100 Marathon Club AGM (M) TCP
    02Mar
    Book Day Challenge (M) TCP
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    Canalathon (75k) mordo
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP
    14Apr
    Boston UK (M) Terry48, Debra Bourne, 1owrez, Dannirr
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP
    28Apr
    London (M) Becca7, 1owrez, thomasclowes, Dannirr
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2, Mac3, justanothrrnr
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent, Peter R
    Blue Waters jkissane
    ONOMO TCP, marty74, Slow Duck

Flights
    Terry48
    AF LHR-CDG ArrJNB26th 09:55 Ret12th
    Max Mladenovic 2
    KLM/AF BHX-AMS ArrJNB4th Ret15th
    TCP BA LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB6th09:15Dep15:40ArrDUR16:45 Ret?
    Peter R BA ArrDUR6th Ret11th
    thomasclowes, serenos
    BA LHR ArrDUR7th05:35 Ret18th
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00 Ret10th
    Mc Hilly VA/BA ArrDUR7th Ret10th
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I am sure I must have made some typos/omissions/mistakes in the above, just let me know if any updates are required :)
  • Options
    Great work as usual with the qualifying list lowrez. Can you put me down for: Silkin Way Ultra (50K) on 30th March & the Stratford-upon-Avon marathon on 28th April. I probably won't improve my qualifying time, but it makes me look a little less lazy compared to all those races everyone is doing! Thanks.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    24Sep
    07Oct
    07Oct
    07Oct
    Chicago (M) Mc Hilly-Q4:40-PenH, Slow Duck-Q3:57-PenD(or E)-Going-for-Double-Yellow
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC Going for Back to Back
    21Oct
    27Oct
    28Oct
    04Nov
    04Nov
    18Nov
    02Dec
    06Jan
    13Jan
    Hobart (M) marty74
    02Feb
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    17Feb
    25Feb
    02Mar
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    Canalathon (75k) mordo
    30Mar
    Silkin Way (U) Max Mladenovic 2
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP
    14Apr
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP
    28Apr
    Shakespeare (M) Max Mladenovic 2
    28Apr
    02May Qualification and
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Blue Waters jkissane

Flights
    Terry48
    Max Mladenovic 2
    thomasclowes, serenos
    1owrez
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I bet you will have time to punt down to London for a beer with us on 28th April Max?

It was theoretically Roger Water's reaction (spitting) at a fan, out of their pretty mind and paying no attention to the music, at a Floyd gig in Canada that was the defining moment in him creating the spark that later became The Wall. Wish I had gone to one of the original London gigs; expected that to tour for some time but the band were already crashing apart by then I suspect; but I made up for it when the Berlin Wall fell! I loved punk but kinda kept away from the scary and destructive live performances.

McHilly, are we flying together? I am coming down to LHR from Manchester on Thu 6th to catch VS461 at 6:30pm to JNB? And then going back I'm on VS450 out of JNB at 20:20 on 10th (with other DUR connections I haven't listed).
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck Marty, if you have acclimatised to the time zone and the weather is cool its potentially a very nice jog :) I bet with your pace you could be in contention for a chocolate hamper!
  • Options
    I haven’t checked in for a little while, so great to catch up on everyone’s recent news. Dannir, the OCC sounds awesome I expect the scenery will be spectacular. Debra, does the parkrun band not work as and ICE band? MM2 great article and an amazing recovery, I’m also planning to to the Silkin way ultra an a long training run, so may bump into you there. I didn’t manage to get a place on this year’s London Marathon so am looking forward to to being there as a spectator! 
  • Options
    Hi Lowrez, re flights, I’ve not got my details to hand, but have a feeling I’m on a later departure time going out, but probably on the same return flight
  • Options
    McHilly: yes, the parkrun band does work as an ICE band, and that's one of the options I'm considering (I don't have one at present). On the plus side: parkrun ID, and the adjustable one comes in green. On the minus side: it has the Vitality logo on it now, and limited space for info. I might get one of those now plus order the Comrades one if I can confirm someone for it to be posted to...
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez. No jetlag since been here before Christmas!!! The cadbury marathon certainly is fun with some wonderful views of mount wellington throughout. No chance of chocolate hamper, far too slow for that but happy with a controlled 3.39. Some nice slopes and that last hill to the finish hurts!!!! Think the temperature for the last hour or so for my run got up to mid twenties, all good prep!!!!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nice one Marty! I still feel that final hill nabbed my early qualifier, although I should have been more spritely earlier on to fend that off! Give my regards to Freddo and Caramelo Koala :)
  • Options
    Marty - congratulations on that. A long way to go for a marathon. Hope theres a bit of a holiday thrown in too  :)
  • Options
    Hello TCT - You seem to be doing the 10 in 10 marathons that I'm doing in April. See you there
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Definitely holiday as well, however unfortunately it ends this week.....
  • Options
    I'm doing the hm option at Stratford on the 28th Max - say hi if you spot ... Or lap! ...me - I'll have a vest with a Comrades badge or 2 on the back . Very pretty race .
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    16Sep
    Goodwood (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:54-PenD
    16Sep
    24Sep
    07Oct
    07Oct
    07Oct
    14Oct
    Leicester (M) Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:35-PenC Going for Back to Back
    21Oct
    27Oct
    28Oct
    04Nov
    04Nov
    18Nov
    02Dec
    06Jan
    02Feb
    17Feb
    Seville (M) Mac3
    17Feb
    25Feb
    02Mar
    03Mar
    Tokyo (M) Becca7
    09 Mar
    Sasmphire 100 (U) Debra Bourne
    17Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    Canalathon (75k) mordo
    30Mar
    Silkin Way (U) Max Mladenovic 2, Mc Hilly
    06Apr
    South Downs Way 50 (U) Debra Bourne
    07Apr
    Rotterdam (M) mordo
    07Apr
    Manchester (M) seagypsy
    13Apr
    TinT Fortitude (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    14Apr
    14Apr
    TinT Gauntlet (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    15Apr
    Boston USA (M)
    15Apr
    TinT Dauntless (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    16Apr
    TinT Resolute (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    17Apr
    TinT Perseverance (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    18Apr
    TinT Adversity (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    19Apr
    TinT Intrepid (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    20Apr
    TinT Indomitable (M) TCP, Southern Snail, marty74
    21Apr
    TinT Unbreakable (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    22Apr
    TinT Invincible (M) TCP, Southern Snail
    28Apr
    Shakespeare (M) Max Mladenovic 2, Fido2Dogs(½)
    28Apr
    02May Qualification and
    09Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Blue Waters jkissane

Flights
    Terry48
    Max Mladenovic 2
    thomasclowes, serenos
    1owrez
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo - SS - "The Substitution Process will open on 1 March and close on 15 April 2019" ;)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It, you would have been proud of me; I even got a plate out of the cupboard to prepare my tea, but the outside called me and I put it away and went for a 5 miler instead! I think I am turning into a runner - was certain I was taking the weekend off?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Just a final personal reflection on visa applications - the more detail you provide, the more uncertainty you are introducing into the outcome. Opinion from my Chinese friends is that if I had simply and only said "holiday" as the visit purpose initially it would probably have been granted on first request. That was one drama I wish I had not generated :)

• Options
    Re Visas, what fun did you have getting your Chinese visa Lowrez, I remember a while ago you alluding to something, but deciding not to say until after the trip! last year when entering SA as normal at passport control I got asked “reason for visit?” I said “Comrades”I was only later I looked at the stamp in my passport, and there is a section that says “conditions” in previous years they have always written “V” or “Visit” in there, last year they wrote “marathon” :-) makes it sound as if I’m a proper athlete :-) 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

McH on the first application I wanted to make sure I would be allowed to run so I declared my intention to do that - bad idea! It seems to be that anything extra you offer will generate consideration and therefore a reaction - bear in mind that the marathon organising committee put up a website inviting overseas applicants, and, for those, acceptance is automatic, so that should be good enough to let you in to run. In China this is a massively prestigious event, it has gold IAAF status, so they run a lottery for the locals. So us internationals are being treated like royalty being let in. But, your visa official, with perfect hindsight, is oblivious to that. The reaction I got, all very nice and amicable, was a question back to me? "You can run a marathon on a tourist visa"? Of course I answered yes to that. But I was already on the slippery slope; after conferring with two other people - I read into that, the particular official was unsure what to do - I was advised I would need a business visa and to get that I would need a letter of invitation from the marathon organising committee.

I still don't want to go into any great detail beyond this; everything is above board of course; as described above Xiamen want overseas candidates to come in and run, that is a perfectly allowable thing to do. I just fell fowl of some bureaucracy. My specific solution resulted in provision of a business visa valid for 2 years for multiple trips of up to 30 days. Quite a sledgehammer compared to the 4 day tourist visit I originally requested. I am fortunate in having connections that allowed that, again, perfectly above board, application to be made and granted :)

I am certain though that if I had simply said "holiday" and nothing else on my original application - and then if asked further about what I was going to do; said; visit the island of Gulangyu (it is incredibly picturesque and cars are banned) to take tea, and also see the Hulishan Cannon Fort and the Nanputuo Temple, etc, a 4 day tourist visa would have been granted without question...

The fortunate result of me stumbling about in this space is I now have the option to go back on other trips :) however, someone less fortunate than I could well have had to cancel the trip. Hence my tale of caution.

• Options
     1owrez said:
    Ooo - SS - "The Substitution Process will open on 1 March and close on 15 April 2019" ;)
    I cancelled my booking at Belaire Suites just last week!!!
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the story Max, quite a journey you've had and you got the Bill Rowan in some style which was impressive. You are now famous!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
     I cancelled my booking at Belaire Suites just last week!!!
    If you have one of those Roy Scheider on the beach moments SS and suddenly realise, which I am sure you will, that you really do need to run Comrades this year, I will transfer my Hilton booking to you, and I am sure Marty would pace you to an Indomitable sub 4:50, but I am sure you will clock one earlier in your TinT anyway :)   
  • Options
    Snail: fortunately, I've not cancelled mine yet and I'm sure we could get it transferred if you wanted it...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    But won't you need it Debra - you are already qualified :D