Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great 10 mile pb Cal.You don't find many 10 mile races these days.The runners I come across most of them give a nod in acknowledgment. Will,enjoy the peace and quiet.I have my girls all week,my wife is going over to York to see her Gran and meeting up with her sister for a spa day.It's nice having the girls to myself though,I let them get away with things that they couldn't do with my wife. Great run Hazelnut,that route sounds great. With that heat you could only use it as a training run,enrvuk. 6.22 miles along trails ended on Porthdinllaen beach.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Was that at the Chase the Sun event, enrvuk?
    Good selection of runs there.
    Hazelnut - I was watching a guy whose dog hopped into the Tooting Common pond the other day - he was a bit cross when the dog shook himself afterwards, but what can you do?
    Got a few smiles this morning, JD. Nice weather and no longer hot so I guess people were happy despite it being a Monday.
    Monday's normally a rest day but I didn't run Saturday so I went out and did 7 miles recovery (was aiming for 5 or 6 but I was enjoying it). A little thrush bimbled across my path at one point - I expected him to fly away as I lumbered past but he just stood there looking at me. Then a fat wood pigeon ambled just out of my way in time. Are birds not scared of me any more?
  • Options
    Greetings from Cornwall!  My favourite run I've done to date today, from Newlyn to St Michael's mount along the shore, back, on to Mousehole and back home. 12.9 miles in 2 hour 10 minutes odd.  Still as beautiful as it always is here. Felt rested for a change due to a break. That'll be my last long one before my next half. Friendly runners, and definite distance training in progress as they were all doing long routes.

Planned to do decent chunks of the coastpath on the day and a run in the evening, but it's obviously slipped my mind how arduous the coast path is as it's the first run I've managed!  

Huge long run JD, have a great holiday. I haven't been there, but have walked up Snowdon and been to Anglesey, great fishing!

Nice quick run JT. My eyesight is awful, I'd barely get to the end of the road without without my contacts!

Nice run Will. That's annoying about the trip, life can be a balancing act. Nice to have personal time though sometimes!

Great 10 miler Cal! Good time for sure. There's a couple coming up in Kent. It must take a bit of practice pacing? Kind of equidistant between 10k and half marathon pace. I did one in April but was even more a rookie then!

Great run envruk.  Cool place to live and train. Bizarrely I remember Liam Gallagher saying he runs Hampstead Heath every morning, ever bumped into him? Doubt he'd be friendly!

That sounds a great long run Hazlenut.  Nice distance and some tough sounding hills.  I got caught in heavy rain today too, but had the foresight of strategicly placed electrical tape after last week's painful incident!

Nature spots, some birds of prey that aren't buzzards (Hen harriers?) Slow worms, and adders on the coastpath, seals below. Caught 3 conger eels!

Have a great week. Some wet weather coming in for the next couple of days here.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're having a great time! Honestly, I tend to do 10 milers at HM pace. When I was trying to run my first sub-2 half, I picked a 10 miler a couple of months before and tried to run it at that pace. I managed it and then went on to do the sub-2 that September, so it's definitely good practise.
    The problem with the 10s I've done is that they've been summer races, so I have to take them a little easier as it's warmer. I've actually run 10 quicker in my two fastest halves, but those have been in February. I'd have liked to have pushed it more with yesterday's race but since I'm on my way back from injury and shingles, I wasn't going to rev the engine too much.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And the shingles seems to have got worse again. I feel pretty much OK (a bit tired, but then I did just do a race and then didn't sleep well on Sunday night) but the patch has started itching again and is driving me nuts. Ugh.
    Still, I went out and did 6 miles - 5 miles progression plus 1 cooling down - which I enjoyed. Went from easy up through last year's MP, the pace I'm hoping to do in Yorkshire and then sub-4 pace. No point going faster today since the 10 mile race was effectively a LT workout, and I'll have parkrun on Saturday. As long as I don't suddently feel ill tomorrow, I'll aim for a medium run then.
  • Options
    Get well Cal, seems to be a nasty virus, fair play to keep going and good luck with training!

Quick question runners! It's 2 weeks (11 august) to the day to this hilly, half marathon trail race I fancy.

I've done 11.75, 13.1, 12, 11.4, 12.6, and 12.9 miles long'uns over the last 6 weeks.

Am I right in thinking you can't get any fitter in 2 weeks. Ie what I've got now is effectively "it" and any further long runs won't make me fitter in the next 2 weeks?

Is that right? It'd be nice to do another long one over the holiday? And with every one I get a little more confident, but I want to do stuff that benefits me, not negates me as, I'm sure you can tell, I'm pretty nervous about this one!
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Bore da Sorry to hear about your shingles getting worse again Cal,good effort in getting out.That itch must be awful. Linton you won't get any fitter and faster with two weeks to go I'd start cutting back soon,keep your legs fresh.You've completed six long runs so you have it in your legs. 7 miles yesterday and just over 6 this morning.Spotted two kestrels hunting and a buzzard.
  • Options
    Bore da, JD1. Nice bird spots. That is where Mrs Will spent all her childhood summer holidays. Lovely place for a run.

I agree on keeping your legs fresh, Linton. You'll be much better off on the day. Just trust your fitness.

Bummer about your shingles again, Cal. Hopefully it will sod off quick sharp.

3 runs for me to report. I'm starting to feel fitness levels rising so am very motivated. I was up early on Monday morning for 4 miles of progression, getting up to a decent lick for the last 2 miles. Yesterday I did a daily double; 4 miles in the morning with a few efforts, then a Mara pace 6 miles when I got back from a day bug hunting in the woods. Top bug was a fine Pine Longhorn and top spot on the runs some cute juvenile Magpie, with their stumpy tails.

I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Grr to the shingles Cal.  Hopefully it won't make you feel ill again (on top of the itching which I can imagine is very annoying).

LTT: distance wise you have a good base for your HM.  You are right that further long runs won't make you fitter for the race now.  Depending on how much practice you have had I would recommend doing some easy effort trails to practice concentrating over rough ground, picking your route etc.

Nice running Will - just looked up your bug of the day. 

Nice constistent running from JD as well.

Just some cycling on Monday for me.  Yesterday evening the usual grop trot with a couple of pre miles to boost mileage.  Decent turnout considering the holidays.  One of our older guys (+65) was back from a calf strain.  Seems the break did him good - he left us standing up the last hill.  Cycled to and from the meeting point and got caught in a thunderstorm on the way back.  Lightening and thunder were not dramatic or particularly worrying but I got totally drenched.  Wasn't very cold though and it being summer I wasn't wearing too much clothing so it didn't really matter. 
  • Options
    More ropey than ill, Hazelnut - I feel a lot worse when I have a cold. It's mostly the sore itchy rash, which is less itchy today. (I did cover it with a dressing so it wasn't rubbing against my shorts. It looks particularly disgusting at the moment).
    Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to let it get me down so I went out and ran 9 miles, as you do. Felt better out there than indoors. It's lovely and sunny and not too warm. Enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Tough as a tough thing you are, Cal. Nice effort.

We've had some spectacular thunderstorms over here, Hazelnut. Proper wake you up in the night stuff.

Bit of a weird day, headwise. Took an unscheduled day off work and busied myself with my moth trap and counting butterflies. A bit cooler today, but my 5.5 miles was a struggle. Legs matched my mood, despite having my brand new shoes on. I went for a slightly cheaper pair of Saucony Jazz, as I'm going to splash out on some top of the pops trail shoes soon. They are comfy as hell and the lightest shoe I've ever worn. Nice.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    That's good Cal. Is shingles not in some way also stress related? Might have heard or read that, if correct then not letting it get you down must be a good thing.

Which trail shoes are you going to get Will? Shame the new shoes didn't help to lift your mood. I guess such runs happen to most people.  I saw a few swallowtails out today. Big things, whenever two met it was aerial combat.

No running today, bank holiday and was out with OH. Intervals yesterday evening with a warmup of around 5k including another encounter with Lady the cocker spaniel. Took forever for her owners to catch her, not a biter I was more concerned about falling over the daft thing. Anyway after that 18 mins at a pace between HM and 10k, 4 mins recovery jog and another 14 mins interval.  Bit too fast initially which I paid for on the second interval despite a stern conversation with myself about slacking. Good session overall though. Jogged about another mile as a cooldown.
  • Options
    Hazelnut, it can be, yes. The first time I ever had it, when I was 28, it was after a break-up. But the last two occassions have both been a couple of weeks after marathons. Not sure why it decided it wanted an encore. I'm not stressed out in any way and my mileage hasn't been that high, really.
    Small dogs are my nemesis. I call anything below knee-height a trip dog.
    I hope you feel a bit more chipper, Will.

I was aiming for a gentle four miler today, but actually did 5 miles with three at the fast end of easy pace (which I term as steady) and the last two were MP. Whoops.
    I have a tough parkrun coming up tomorrow and then hoping to run 16 miles on Sunday. I'm only 12 weeks off my marathon so need to start getting those long runs in.
  • Options
    Good luck with your 16 miler, Cal. Hope you're going out early as it's getting warm again.

I'm looking at either Saucony Koa or Inov8 Roclite trail shoes, Hazelnut. I do like Saucony and know they like me, but am tempted to go for the inov8. I need them to be sturdy but not too heavy, as I need to go the full 26.2 in them. Also I like a bit of cushion as I'm 14.5 stone. What do you reckon?

I was awake at silly o'clock without the need for an alarm, so was on the road by 5.30am this morn. I headed to my regular long run trail for the 14 miler on my plan. It was a beautiful misty, dewy morning as the sun rose and my spirits were properly lifted. Monsieur Chien Noir seems to only visit for a day or two these days, which is a relief. Lots of juvenile Robins about and more rabbits than I've seen for a while. Some Fab Painted Lady butterflies too, which continue their migratory influx. I experimented again with 3 x 2 min walking breaks at 5, 8 + 11 miles. It really gives me a boost and doesn't add too much time overall. Also, I reckon it helps the recovery process, so I shall carry on doing it when I feel the need. An enjoyable run and I'm looking forward to munching out on some ice cream later. Happy running all!

I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Glad you're feeling better, Will. A run like that would lift anyone's spirits.

Today I headed to Mole Valley parkrun, held at the Denbies vineyard in Dorking. A few of my clubmates were doing it and then going on to cheer runners in the NDW100, though I headed straight home after as my kit was all sweaty and my shingles were starting to itch because of it.
    The one-lap course is definitely one of the toughest I've done - net uphill and all on lumpy grass or dusty track - but the setting is lovely. I ran 9:23 and 9:18 for the first two miles which both featured a lot of climbing, but the last mile was all downhill (with a few flat bits) so I had a whale of a time bombing down that in 7:55. My overall time was 27:07 which I'm pretty content with, especially as it was warm and quite humid.
  • Options
    Nice parkrun Cal. Have a good long run tomorrow.

I'm not familiar with those two models Will, sorry. I have the Peregrines from Saucony for all off-road conditions which I am happy with. Not too heavy but sturdy feeling and decent grip in the wet. I also have La Sportiva Bushidos, better suited to rocky trails than to mud.   Your selection criteria sound good to me.

Good you are keeping the black dog mostly away.  Nice spots on your run again today. Enjoy the ice-cream!

Bit short of 12 miles yesterday lunchtime. Legs still a bit tired from Wednesday's tempo run and a hike on Thursday.  Ran the first half at a bit faster than recovery pace then added a bit of pace/effort for the second half. I'm currently running most of my longer runs in this way and have to be careful not to overcook the pace too much. No nature spots to report.
  • Options
    enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Wow so many miles done here, seems like I've been away an age, but only a few runs.

Very envious of your runs in Cornwall LTT, love Mousehole and that area great run from you. Last time I was in the area, a couple of years back I wasn't a runner. Did you get to the Minack while you were there? As it happens Liam Gallagher used to drink at my local, so I'm told, but I've never seen him. Tom Hiddlestone and Hugh Laurie are locals I've seen out on a run. 

Great miles as you always seem to Hazel, no matter what the weather. What's your next big race again? Sounds like you are putting the miles in for something big.

Nice sounding run Will, I like the idea of the walking breaks, help you get the miles in without a steadily increasing heart rate. I've just baked a very fattening cheesecake for tomorrow, probably tops your ice cream calories :neutral:

Cal, yes it was the Chase the Run event. Nicely organised and a decent medal if you like that kind of thing.  I really think the weakened immune system after the marathon is a likely cause of your shingles, are you taking any of the meds available? Lovely parkrun from you this morning. Funnily enough I went to Northala Fields and after went up one of the mounds (on the A40, I am sure everyone has been past them). The legend showed Mole Valley as one of the things you could see.

I ran the parkrun a lot quicker than intended, I hadn't set my watch up properly and just went with how I felt. Finished in 25:40, it's a really nice course.

Some hill reps (10x30 secs) and a standard 7km easy run earlier in the week. It's an easier week in the schedule, next week will be harder.
  • Options
    Great running everyone! I did one more run in Cornwall, a fantastic run from Newlyn to Mousehole, then up a huge hill, and along the Coast path to Lamorna Cove.

The most stunning backdrop I could imagine running in, just incredible.  It is going to seem very dull going back to my mundane laps of Sandwich. Some miles had 150 foot elevation per mile. Brutal for me. I had to watch the ground constantly it was so rocky but didnt break anything! 6 miles but felt way more. 

Back home now, after a lovely break. Going back to work and real life after 2 weeks is going to be awful. Must try and stay buoyant.

I didn't go to the Minack envruk, but did go to Porthcurno. Very nice, great running and hill reps. 

Great longs runs Hazlenut solid as ever. Great Parkrun Cal. Hope you get better soon.

I have Jazz 20s for my 5k and 10k shoes Will. I love mine. Only 250 grammes (weighed mine) certainly a fast shoe.

I have been tanning the ale, pasties and clotted cream ice cream all week so have kidney beans, spinach and grilled chicken tonight. Deep joy.
  • Options
    Hazelnut, I'm doing a lot of my long runs that way too.
    enrvuk - I didn't go to the doc this time - it was a bit late to get back on the meds and I'm not sure they'd have given me more so soon, but my body seems to be dealing with it well enough. The rash has hardened up and I feel fine apart from that.
    Glad you enjoyed Northala. It was my first sub-25 so I view it with some fondness.
    Linton, sounds like a great break. Hopefully the running you did will take care of some of the extra calories.

I got my first proper long run of the schedule done today, although my left knee is being a bit funny and I think I may have jarred it a little on the downhill yesterday. It didn't cause me any real problems, though, and although I was doing the undulating Brockwell Park route, I got progressively faster and decided to do the last four miles at MP. No real issues - left glute is achey but that's par for the course. Main thing is I need a better solution for carrying water as the little bottles on my bottle belt aren't really adequate for summer long runs.
  • Options
    enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it's back to reality LTT, but wow what an experience. I've been itching to get back to Cornwall anyway, this is more of an incentive. The Minack is stunning, even if the play on isn't that great.

Cal, yes Northala is definitely a quick course, not as flat as Hackney Marshes and too crowded at the start for a PB, but nice. My current belt/bottle is good for up to about 20k, but would be interesting to see what you settle on. Nice run this morning, glad the shingles are easing.

After running far too quickly yesterday I struggled on my long run today, but thankfully still got it done. 12.93k at a slow pace. There was an official 10k going on in the park and I was a little envious not to be in it.

The first group of ducks were asleep, aside from one sentry duck and the next group with the geese were all quite lively. As usual, the Primrose Hill bit is a dodge the trippy dog exercise!

Have a good week all. 

• Options
    enrvuk: My next bigger race is at the end of October - a HM.  I'm just about to start Week 3 of a plan for that.  Good running.  The cheesecake (yumm!) must be good fuel for the coming harder week.

Hope today back to work isn't too much of a shock LTT.  I'm also jealous of your runs in Cornwall.

Good work on the long run Cal. 

Two more runs to report: around 7 miles on Saturday evening including 6 x short hill sprints and 8 x strides.  The hill sprints are more like shuffles up molehills - really get me working hard though.  Yesterday HM distance on an out and back route along a fairly local river.   Warm and sunny in parts - I had to ration out my one smallish water bottle carefully.  Legs pretty knackered at the end of that (a 50 mile week).  Ran too quickly again for a long run.  Must get my pacing right again.   Other than plenty of cyclists not much to report. 
  • Options
    8.4 miles of mediocrity sunday morning.  No longer did I feel a poster boy for a Karrimor advert, just a bloke with sore ankles (trail running) shuffling down a dual carriageway. 

Nice running envruk and Hazlenut, and envruk.

You say you're training for a half marathon October Hazlenut? You must easily be good to go with current 50 mile weeks and regular halves in training? Take it you're going for a really fast time?
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Morning all back from my holiday but still have one more week off so not too bad .

Great running Hazelnut,are you going for a HM pb,you've definitely put the miles and hard work in.

Nice long run Cal,glad the shingles are getting better.

Great 14 miles Will,noticed there's loads of painted ladies at the moment .Been taking my girl to Morfa Nefyn since they were toddlers,love it round there.

I'm sure you'll burn those extra calories off Linton .

Nice celeb spotting envruk,I spotted Dirty Den at Notting Hill station many years ago,not much of a boast though.

Managed a run every day on holiday,including an interval session.Spotted  a barn owl on one of my runs,which was great.
    12 miles yesterday morning,10 @ mp,good run overall.Have a 10k race Sunday,so looking forward to that.

• Options
    enrvuk - I'm doing Hackney on Saturday. Although how fast I'm not sure as I'm doing the Pride 10K right after. (Well, at 11am).
    Linton - at least you got it done! Coming back to reality is always going to be tough.
    JD - I think my best spot was Eric Cantona walking along the Thames in a camel overcoat, about 20 years or so ago. I also once sat opposite Holly from Red Dwarf (the male one) on the tube. And I've seen Jason Flemyng a couple of times on Tooting Common - I think he lives in Battersea.

After a rest day (when I say rest, I did go to hot inferno pilates and then, a bit later, a Bikram yoga class, so it was only a rest in terms of running) I went out and did a tempo sandwich - 2 miles warm-up, 3 at tempo pace (approximately LT pace, though I found it hard going and it felt more like a parkrun effort even though I'd raced at that pace for 10 miles just over a week ago) and then 2 cool-down. Achilles grumbled a bit at the start and a lot during the last mile of the cool-down.  I guess it had a tough week last week.
    Got to stroke a friendly cat on the way back, so there's that.
  • Options
    LTT, JD I'm hoping that boosting my mileage will bring another PB - hard to come by things for me.  I am also considering doing a spring mara and if I do I want to do the training off a solid mileage in the months before. 

Not much to report on the celebrities here - probably wouldn't spot any that walked past me.  Have met a couple of Swiss sports personalities in the supermarket but that is about that. 

Nice barn owl spot JD and cat pet stop Cal.  Good tempo sandwich also.

Group run for me yesterday evening.  Added a couple of solo miles on beforehand for a total of 9.3 miles.  No-one was overly keen on pushing the pace on the group bit which suited me and I think also the slower runners as nobody took the short-cut this week.  Saw a few small groups of deer.  A few showers but it was fairly warm.
  • Options
    Nice running, Hazelnut. 8 miles recovery today in lovely weather - sunny but with a cool breeze. I wish it would feel like early morning all day.
  • Options
    enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your two runs in a day Cal! Impressive. I am sure you could go close to 24m if not under at Hackney if you were focused on it, rather than using it as a warm up :-)  Nice running in the meantime, it's funny how some runs just feel a lot harder for no apparent reason. I might be doing Walthamstow as a recovery run on Saturday, just because it's near somewhere I have to be.

Hazel, as LTT says, you must be aiming at a seriously fast time for the HM, where is it? You make 8-10 miles sound so easy. My body doesn't resemble your descriptions. 

Impressive holiday running JD1, that takes some doing. Where's your race?

LTT, have to take the rough with the smooth. Not every run can be the glory of the Cornish Coast. Unless you live there I guess, then it would become routine. Perhaps clotted cream is better for your running than kidney beans?

Couple of runs here, basic foundation on Monday, 7.5k. I really felt the Friday to Sunday runs in that one, but I got it done. I skipped a recovery run yesterday as I felt my legs needed it. Today I did what the book calls Cruise Intervals. Basically 4x5m at HR Zone 3 and then 3 mins in Zone 1 with w/u and w/d. Stupidly I thought it there were 5 intervals and ended up on the wrong side of Regent's Park when finishing (again). I enjoyed it though, the Zone 3s were run at between 4:59 and 5:12 pace per km, so not bad without overly lifting the HR. As ever I am blissfully unaware of most wild life, aside from trip hazards!

Happy running all.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's good going,Cal,two races in a couple of hours.I take it they're fairly close together.

Nice long run Hazelnut.Was it Roger Federer you spotted doing his grocery shopping!

Good interval session,enrvuk,nice fast pace.Tatton park 10k on Sunday.Spotted a 5k road race in a couple of weeks,only downside  it's an evening race and I don't race particularly well that time of day.

9 and 10 miles over the last couple of evenings.Used my new Saucony omni for the first time,lovely and light ,will be using these for the Chester marathon.
  • Options
    Yes, JD - that was why I chose Hackney as this week's parkrun. :) Well done on the runs - glad you've found a shoe that suits you.
  • Options
    JD it was the cyclist Fabian Cancellera - I think he overtook me once out cycling - a very fast blur of action (him, not me) so not sure.  Omnis look nice - probably too much support for me.  Good idea to start breaking them in for Chester.

Nice intervals enrvuk.  My race is in Lausanne - appropriately it finishes in a district called Ouchy.  There is a full mara on that day as well on an out and back course - the HM does the back bit.  If I like it then I might do the mara some time.  10 miles used to be my - ooo that sounds like a long way sort of distance as well - but with a consistent mileage build-up and a few rounds of marathon training that barrier has moved to the HM distance. 

The parkrun could be a good warm-up for the 10k then Cal.    Early morning conditions all day would be very autumnal here - foggy at the moment. 

LT intervals yesterday - 5 k warm-up, 20mins, 4 mins recovery, 16 mins, CD.    An increase of 2 mins on each interval compared to last week and it felt much tougher.  Hit and maintained target pace on the first interval but was off the pace a bit on the second despite some stern talking to myself (silently at that pace).  Warm, humid and a bit breezy probably didn't help too much.  Met one of my Tuesday running group cycling home whilst I was warming up - hardly recognized him wearing a helmet and I was psyching myself up for the hard work to come.