Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Cheers Wardi - how long before the start will we be there? Always harder to plan/remember everything when I'm not going from home.

I'm waiting for the rain to pass before heading out TR. It's that unpleasant combination of warm, wet and windy here. Was going to do six this morning but looking at the forecast I'm contemplating taking that down to four and doing ten tomorrow.

That's an impressive improvement Stevie.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Stevie.. nice running at the relays.  Enjoy the hols, similar plan here as I am heading for warmer climes after York.
    TR.. I think we might start growing webbed feet after all the rain this autumn.  I'm going for a short run this afternoon as the rain should have gone by then.
    LMH.. I normally aim to get there around 08.00-08.15 (start is 9:30).
    Course advice.. in the first mile you run down this hill, make a mental note of it as you have to climb back up it at 25.5 miles!  It isn't very steep but this unfit cyclist thinks it is..
    Having got to the top the last section is a pleasant downhill roll, the finish is about 50m in front of the first walkway that straddles the road..

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LmH/ wardi - my choice today was to run in the rain before work or run in the rain after work, so i got it done early. Tomorrow will be a wet 12. Im expecting Abo to be wet too, but then its the wind that ruins races not the rain.

Stevie - yes, im already monitoring that sportshoes off, i can get some 4% for 168, if they still have some in my size in 10 days (as long as i go sub 255). I will use the flynits for tempos and reps in order to get used to them and the 4% for racing.
  • Options
    I shall look forward to that last half mile Wardi.

Weather much worse than forecast here but I managed to dodge the showers for my run which was nice.
  • Options

Wardi - Yes Parkrun went ok, just snuck under in 15.58. Its Gt. Denham near Bedford, very flat and it wasn't windy..and with training going well I was hoping for nearer 15.50 - but I knew straight away sub 16 wasn't going to be easy. Got the lurgy Monday so it may of been in the system already - dunno!

SW - My mate did the Copenhagen half and almost half of his rivals (he did 72.50) were wearing the Nike 4%. I knew people would by them, but I'm amazed so many people have shelled out - I thought the price would be a limiting factor. Got my Adios for £95 - they will be fine for any half's or 10 miles I do.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice one SC2!
    There's a 5k race series up here split between York & Leeds, one race per month at each venue on a Thursday night.  Turned out they got an A/G world record at York last night.  Guy Bracken (age 57) clocked 15:51!  :o    He's run a 16.14 Parkrun and a 9:10 3000m this year so this is another notch up for him.
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Blimey - I can't use age as an excuse for this year's poor performances then!
  • Options
    Optimal conditions in Vienna for the 1:59 attempt.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/49771509
  • Options
    Whatever you think of the assistance and benefit given youve got to take your hat off to that performance this morning.

Cheers for the well wishes guys.

TT - cross training most days - Spin classes, off to circuits today to give that a bash. Pilates one a week and a daily routine of neural flossing/core work and stretching is keeping the oldbones ticking over. 

Im at the very early stage of rebuilding at the mo 2+2 one day, 5 the next, next day off type arrangement. Ive been told to build up with the assistance of lowlevel painkillers as there is nothing on the MRI to suggest that this level of activity will cause further damage. I am only taking one 200mg tab 20 mins before a run at the mo and coping quite well.

SC2 - Bloody quick!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - i wonder how the sponsored (by other shoes) wearers justify wearing them?

Menn - stick with it then, 200mg is quite low, and it might help you get moving again.

The 1.59 challenge was good viewing, not the best thing to watch before a raper run though, i was up for fetting my flynits on and going for a smash fest. Interesed to see how Alistair brownlee does at kona today too. No interest in Mo though.

I thought about doing Charlies 10k at mp, but i usually only do 3 or 4m, so i only upped it to 5m, came in at av 6.36. Just a couple of real short mp runs to go.

43 for the week, as i had a zero sunday.
  • Options
    Now if you guys could just let me know when a few of you are available to pace me to my sub 2.55............

Sounds like progress Mennania.

I'm still not seeing any miles come in at MP TR. Am trying to get in the mindset that York is a good opportunity for me test out some stomach settling strategies and hopefully find a way forward for next year. If Ernie delivers I may even buy myself a pair of fast shoes - but I can't really see that happening. You never know though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - it doesnt just happen, it takes a bit of graft even in taper time. Maybe some mp running is something for the vlm build up ? I used to do my hard work on the turbo and run easy,  its dawned on me recently that i need to include some running quality as im getting older. You (and charlie) have possible gains to be made from this sort of thing........Ernie as in "he drove the fastest milk cart in the west"?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope that gets you back on the road however small the distances Menn.
    TR.. encouraging MP run, any more double digit runs to do?
    York Uni parkrun earlier, didn't go full blast (av. 6.49's) then did a grand tour of the sprawling Uni complex to bring up 11.7m for the day.  Thought I might as well get it done as it's a dry & pleasant day up here, whereas tomorrow the wet stuff from the south is apparently heading our way.  Almost time to get out the bubble wrap suit and loft insulation. 
    LMH.. my run above did take in the marathon village/start area so rest assured I know where I'm going next week. :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - get it done when dry if you can , i got rained on again today !  This week will be something like, sun 6 easy, mon 6 inc 2 mp, tues 6 easy, weds 6 inc 2 mp, thurs 4m, fri 2m, sat 2m. The mp should either feel stupidly easy or i do it way too fast. Crab recomended i do it before yeovil, and tha went ok.......
  • Options
    Nice running Wardi - the weather was my motivation for doing the longer one today too.

It isn't a lack of effort TR.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LMH - i did 4m easy (8mm +), 5 effort, 3 easy (8mm plus). You could defo do that, maybe you find mp hard as you tend to do lots more 7.XX than me. Who knows? I dont do any 7.XX, so am probably fresher for the harder days. You should be able to get some miles in at mp? Hmp is a pace i struggle to get to, but even that should be achievable for a few miles in the correct session. Its something for vlm maybe?
  • Options
    Doesn't happen without a number on TR apart from the odd mile during the taper.
  • Options
    Evening All! I've been absent for a while, but did do a bit of reading back, mainly to see if there was an Abo/York list yet. Couldn't find one! Congratulations to Stevie for Berlin though. Just for the record: yes I am doing Abo, and yes I have bought a pair of magic green shoes!

I hope everyone's been running well over the last few months. I must admit that after VLM, I fell out of love with running, and spent a good few weeks doing little, if any mileage, and half-hearted at that. When it came time to start P&D training for Abo, I actually skipped the first week as I was still feeling CNBA. Then I discovered that I'd cocked up my training calendar and had actually missed two weeks! That gave me enough of a kick to start training properly. It was a tough first few weeks, but I got back into the swing of things, and have been putting in the miles since. So all in all I think I'm in reasonable though perhaps not great shape, but of course the magic shoes are sure to help. They worked for Kipchoge anyway.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Understood, thats under the current training though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say i received a vlm number after all, 29XXX. Shame theres only a week between vlm and brighton, id do both if it was 2 or 3 weeks.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    ES.. goood to see you back in the groove, a list I hear you say!
    York  20th October 
    LMH
    Wardi
    SJ
    Al P
    Njord
    Charlie W

Abingdon  
    Selbs
    TR
    Tick Tock

New York 3rd November
    CD

Cornwall  
    OuchOuch - possibly in doubt.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All aboard then ES, good to see you. The 1.59 wasnt in in the pink or greens!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. a clubmate of mine did Manchester & VLM two weeks apart a couple of years ago.  3:09/3.10 was a very decent return for him but one week between is indeed risky. 
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TR - snap think I am 43 for this week to (rest tomorrow).  Maybe 45 need to check.  Similar schedule to you for next week too although I tend to rest fri/sat but might do the odd mile or two to help stretch out my bad back.

Wardi- nice double digits with some fastish stuff there and good to keep dry.

ES hopefully see you TTock and TR at Abo then. Maybe meet at pub (spread eagle?) after for a debrief?  Last year was beer in the sun but I’m not convinced the weather will play ball this time.

LMH - at the end of the day as long as you can do MP on Marathon Day I guess that’s the main thing!

I enjoyed watching Kipchoge smash it this morning. Made it look ridiculously easy.

TR thanks for that nike code by the way I grabbed a couple of discounted flynet for £66 as well.  Must admit I can’t really see the diff between them and the 4% ones!! If someone could explain?! Hope they last a bit longer anyway.

well i donned the magic shoes and headed out in the rain (but perfect running conditions really) and did 6 miles effort in the middle.  In the end best training run since 2016 (Pb year) with the 6 miles coming in just sub 6m/m and 12.5 at 6:24s. The 6 were a bit harder than MP I suspect, certainly the HR was higher by end.  But I’m either fit now or the shoes are magic.  OR the carb load yesterday after big cut back (had 6 pints) is the secret!! PB attempt hopefully still on.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yes, im not doing both 1 week apart.

Selbs - excellent 6m and 6 pints then. Missing Berlin might have a silver lining.  Think the flynits have different foam and are the training version of the magic shoe. Their replacement (zoom fly 3 ?) is supposed to be more robust, they are 140ish at mo, probably get them for 60ish too, by the time uouve used up all the others). The newer magic shoes are supposed to be more robust too, but they are 240.
  • Options
    Good to see you ES.

A nice confidence giving run selbs, peaking at the right time. I shall live in hope.

57 miles for me last week as I did the ten yesterday in the better weather. This week will be 40 at most and I'll try to keep it under that. I find not running makes me feel worse so usually do 3 or 4 on the Saturday morning. Out of curiosity I tried on some Nike's in the outlet shop yesterday (can't remember which model but a running rather than leisure one) but found the fit very small - even going up half a size from my usual Adidas they were tight and the shop was so busy I gave up at that point. How do the rest of you find they compare with other makes?
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    That’s weird LMH I find I have to go up half a size in the Adidas compared to the Nike!  Not counting the marathon I will be closer to 20 miles this week!
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I tried on some Pegasus a few months ago and found the fit way too narrow. I have suspected for a long time that I am destined to always run in Asics, Brooks, Saucony as they make shoes for people with wide flipper feet like mine. 

The Adidas and Nikes of this world are for proper runners I dare say. 

Selbs - strong running in your medium long run there. Hopefully gives you some pointers for race day.

LMH - I do 20 minutes the day before too but I've scheduled in at least 2 rest days next week.

ES - good to see you pop in. You have been training really solidly. I recovered from MCR in April and got going again stringing 6 weeks of base together before similarly having a CNBA week or two. Not sure why. Just had a wobble. Like you managed to kick out of it. Good luck at Abo, looking good mate. 

Wardi - nice little parkrun sharpener. Good decision getting the miles done yesterday. Km about to head out in some lovely Manchester drizzle. Couldn't go yesterday as mini SJ had a college open day. Sprawling campus sounds ominous. My sense of direction is iffy. Still need to sort out logistics. I read you are being dropped off. Is that a better option than using the park and ride? 

TR - similar final week but I only do one MP session of 4km during a 10km run on Wednesday (yep still loving the km lol) rest of week is jogging except Friday 6km plus some strides. 

I am yo-yoing on target times as per usual. Like you TR I watched Kipchoge and then went out for a run after aforementioned college visit. Felt really good and was having to slow down buoyed by the NoHumanIsLimited :) Had a word and calmed down. I will try and stick to the plan. I love the taper and the madness it can produce. 
  • Options
    That is strange with the shoe sizing selbs. I may well card a zero today - it is very wet here and having just been out for a walk I'm in no hurry to go and do a few miles for the sake of it. I shall be going to the gym so could hop on the treadie but that carries a bit more of an injury risk and I haven't had a non running day since the 27/7.

I hardly think you can call me a proper runner and not count yourself as one sj! Hope it stays just a drizzle for you - we are forecast heavy rain until 1300hrs though there may be a short window of opportunity to get out in drier conditions this afternoon though I suspect I'll be paddling in places if I do.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    One of the reasons I moved to NB shoes was their choice of widths.  I have a slightly broad foot and high instep so need their '2E' fitting in a size 11.  However I did once gamble on a pair of standard width NB's in 11.5 (bargain price) and those turned out to be ok as well.  Still haven't quite decided on my marathon shoes!
    LMH.. Mrs Wardi wants to go for a 5/6m run today so it looks like the rain jacket may be pressed into service - on a brighter note it looks like we might even get a bit of autumn sun next Sunday, fingers crossed.  Does your week start on a Sunday?  I go Mon-Sun and should hit about 50m this week.
    My taper week is somethng like Mon zero, Tues 5m, Weds 5m with 2M at MP, Thurs 4/5m, Fri zero, Sat 3-4m.  Seemed to work ok last year.
    RJ.. if you are in a York hotel the marathon bus leaves the railway station every 15 mins and drops you off in the marathon village.  The Park & run system from Elvington airfield drops you off in the same way so you can't go wrong.  Post race they take you back again.  When I say sprawling, the Marathon village is at Heslington Uni west, the Parkrun course is in Heslington Uni East!  they are about 1 mile apart.
    Pic from the Parkrun yesterday, both feet off the ground, yay!