Options

2020 in 2020

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A reasonable week, and now have done 202 miles with 1818 to go.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (or The Modern Prometheus) was published anonymously in 1818, to mixed reviews.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Terrible week! Really should have expected it after norovirus but I always want to think I will be back out quicker than I am. 

Big_G good to see you back and running those miles.

241.8km so 1779 to go.

1779 was the year Captain Cook died.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    As my running week comes to an end, I managed to get a short run in this morning prior to Storm Ciara coming in strong later this afternoon.

I've done 254 miles so have 1766 to go.

Christie's Auction House was founded in 1766 by James Christie.  1766 was the year he held his first sale in his permanent saleroom in Pall Mall, London.
  • Options
    36 miles this week, total this year now 270km

In 1750 the Louvre in Paris, and Westminster Bridge in London both opened
  • Options
    221 miles done so 1799 to go

In 1799
    William Pitt the Younger introduces an income tax of 2 shillings to the pound to raise funds for the Napoleonic wars.

(Whatever income tax is!!!! think I remember paying tax years ago!!)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It ended up being a lower mileage week this week - just wasn't feeling quite right mid week, but I think a day or two off did me good as I finished the week with a couple of decent runs.

286 miles done so 1734 to go.  In 1734, the Bank of England moved to its present location in Threadneedle Street, London.
  • Options
    Biggest mileage week of the year so far, 40.6, total up to 209. If I manage to keep going I might change to target 2020 miles, but for now I'm still in km - 336 so far

In 1684 the Thames was frozen in London (from Dec 1683 apparently) and as far as 2 miles out to sea, only thawing in March. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Big-G given what you dealt with last year I think it is great you are running. Dubai runner I hope you pay other taxes? Please do not destroy my in Keynes's most well know theory that the only two certainties in life are death and tax!

Had a few medical dramas, but back now, 329km which takes me to 1692 which is when George Fox died.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be going pretty well...except me. Just getting back to things and around 100k behind where I should be. 

1845 to go: 1845 saw the first of four years of potato famine in Ireland, reducing the population by over 20% due to mass starvation, disease and emigration.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    afternoon all. I am attempting 2020k in 2020
    so far I have done 256k, so 1764left.
    in the year 1764
    Holkham HallNorfolk, completed in the Palladian style by William Kent
    I like that fact as I have run there!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    no thats all wrong!!!
    edited
  • Options
    Good morning all.

TT, sorry to burst your bubble! I suppose I pay taxes by other means eg air passenger duty when flying into UK but income tax...etc no haven’t in a decade.

285.65 miles so 1.345 behind schedule. 1734.35 miles to go.

In 1734
    Daniel Boone the American frontiersman was born.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A good week over here, leaving me on 1661 miles.  

In 1661, Isaac Newton was admitted to Trinity College, Cambridge as a "sizar", which is a sort of work-study role.  Although he was apparently undistinguished as a Cambridge student, Newton's private studies over the next two years saw the development of his theories on calculus, optics and the law of gravitation.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    1643 km to go, well done Big_G, good start to the year.

This was the year Fiji was sighted.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    1745 km to go
     the year of the earliest known women's cricket match, at Gosden Common in Surrey
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good progress being made! I note that by stumps  on Saturday we should have completed 31.64k! I will be well behind that but am not concerned as yet as I hope to up the distances when there is more light or the weather gets better!

1823k completed: November of that year saw William Webb Ellis "invent" rugby.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    A good week last week took me to 420km done, 1600 to go - a nice round number .

In 1600 Scotland adopted 1st Jan as new years day, instead of March 25th

The clocks will change next month Ale, the weather will improve, as will your back. Hopefully sooner rather than later, then it'll get easier
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did have a good week last week, but I'm only counting 25 running miles for this challenge.  I did walk a marathon on Sunday with a friend, but as I've marked it as a "Hike" and not a "Run" on Strava it won't count towards my running stats, so I won't count it for this challenge either.

So that leaves me having done 384 miles, with 1636 left.

Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States, established in 1636.
  • Options
    Good afternoon

Now at 367 miles, so 1653 to go

In 1653
    The Taj Mahal is completed. On my to see list..

• Options
    400 miles done so 1620 to go.

In 1620
    The Mayflower sails from Plymouth with 102 pilgrims bound for the new world 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    444 miles done, with 1576 left.

In Britain, a system to support individuals who were having difficulty in finding employment was established in 1576.   
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    330k done so now left with 1690

Battle of the Boyne was in 1690 
  • Options
    We've gone into lockdown so I'm running the path behind my villa, 0.1 mile to the main path and repeating several times.

So now at 466 miles with 1554 to go. 

In 1554
    Sao Paulo is founded.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    449 km  done, been a very strange year so far......

1571 to go 

1571 is the BT message service
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm still going, as not in lock down yet, so getting out whilst I can.  

530 miles done, so 1490 to go.  Dr Martens do a version of their boots called 1490 10 Eye Boots.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    still going also but k's aren't on target!
    424k done for the year so far which leaves 1596

February 14 – Archbishop John Whitgift begins building his hospital at Croydon.
    hospital fact hence why!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    And I'm still falling further and further behind...

332k completed, 1688 to go.

1688 turned out to be an interesting year with the Glorious Revolution seeing the unseating of James II by William and Mary. A key turning point was the Battle of Reading, the last battle on English soil.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So, day 100, and the "straight line" target is 553 kms or miles. Falling behind here still!

401 km completed, so 1629 to go. 

In 1629 Charles I closed England's Parliament for 11 years.  It did not end well for him!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    540 km done!! So just behind target but actually delighted to be running given everything that has happened this year so far! 

1480 to go

1480 Magdalen College School Oxford founded.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone.  Alehouse, fingers crossed you can get back on track.

I'm a bit ahead at the moment, but this is the time this time last year that it all started to fall apart for me.  I do have a slight niggle at the moment that I'm being cautious with, but I'm hoping it'll be gone soon.

663 miles done with 1357 to go.  Very random, but a German manufacturer called Siku make a F1 scale model car called 1357.  Historically, Siku could be seen as the "German Matchbox".