Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Steve and SQ - good luck at Wokey, fingers crossed you get semi decent weather. Steve - am sure there’s a PB there for the taking with your marathon training. 

Cal - nice PB, shows you were in great shape for Tokyo. However hope you get another PB at Hampton Court. I used to live across the river in Kingston and loved running along there, never did any races back then though except for Bushy parkrun (my first was back in 2007 so I have a 5 digit number!)

TR - well done on the LR despite pushing back the MP, I think you’re ahead of the plan though having done an extra one? 

Hamo - big running week again and best of luck if you get your MP run in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see you still hit your target pace given the form you’ve been in. 

Legs were pretty tired after my hilly MLR on Thurs so thought it would be a good idea to recover with 9 miles on Fri and 8 more even hillier ones yesterday :D. So was definitely feeling the cumulative fatigue this morning. Out in the dark and legs were creaking, took half an hour to loosen up and then kept a steady effort. Took a caffeine Maurten at 18 miles, It has a strange jelly texture but I liked being able to gradually take it down Without it going everywhere. Definitely the easiest gel to digest and not much sweetness which is perfect for me as I’ve never managed to take my last gel at 20 miles in each of my marathons. I also felt it gave a more steady release of energy than others, will use them for my next one. It didn’t make me any faster but I managed to finish off with 5k at around 2:55 pace, making 22 miles. Pleased to finally get in a decent LR and my biggest week of 83 miles. 
  • Options
    You’re ahead of the game, so that long run seems sensible in the conditions, TR. 

So is that a PB, Cal? Cracking running. Best of luck today. 

Best of luck today Steve. Suspect we’ll be pretty close. 

That’s a super long run on such tired legs, John. Bodes very well for the six foot track. 

Weather for Wokingham looks... interesting. 13C (warm - relatively!) and a 43Mph headwind for the final 6M miles. Gulp. Not to worry. Will tuck in where possible and see it as good marathon training. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    That was a good long run John, esp to finish quickly

Hope wokey went well. Couldn't see any results yet.

I borrowed Millsys plan and backed up ydays 22 with another wet and windy 18m today,, good leg strengthening stuff.
  • Options
    Well done TR.

Wind rather scuppered my chances today, too. Forecast yesterday was 20s - today it was 40s (I assume that's mph).

It didn't seem too bad initially and I did my usual over enthusiastic start (8:16) then over-corrected for mile 2 (8:40)  before hitting a couple of miles in the 8:20s (I was shooting for 8:30-35). But then I started to slow. Aside from another 8:29 at mile 6, I just kept getting slower. It wasn't helped by a windy stretch down the Thames to Hampton Court which made it harder than it should have been. I was still roughly on target at mile 10, but after we passed Hampton Court and turned back the other way, I figured we should get a tail wind. Wrong - it was even worse! I don't know how that's even possible since we were going in more or less the opposite direction, but it did me in. I only managed just under 9 minute miles for the last three, despite working hard, and came in at 1:53:53 which was not only nearly a minute slower than Kingston and Farnborough, but also a few seconds slower than my Hampton Court time from last year.
    I felt really tired after - still do - and my feet were hurting and left glute was aching. I remember feeling a lot more sore after doing the windy Big Half last year.
    Well, never mind. Can't win 'em all. It's still my fourth fastest half and if I was only 8 seconds slower than last year when conditions were perfect, it's not all bad.

This does leave me wondering whether I should try to find another half between now and Manchester where I can test myself without weather getting in the way. I'd be interested in your feedback on this.
  • Options

Blimey, TR. 40M in two days is going some. When’s the ultra?

Cal - 8s seconds slower than last year in today’s conditions shows you are now significantly faster. I’d agree a half marathon PB is on. How long until Manchester? Go for another race, but not at the expense of the marathon. 

Earlier in the week, the forecast for Wokingham had been reasonably good - 10C and only 10-12 mph winds. Given the previous two weekends’ cancellations, I am grateful it was on at all, but the forecast in the  day or two beforehand began, however, to look pretty fearsome: a 43mph headwind for the final 5 or so miles, combined with an unseasonable 13C. Nonetheless, this was a relatively key marker for me in the London build up, and so was keen for a strong hit out. I raced XC a week before, and did 20M on the Monday six days out. Following this, I kept it to just 4 -6M easy and strides type runs, working well with lots of family time over half term.

Upon arrival, the weather was pretty fierce - heavy rain and winds so strong the baggage tent was shaking. Having made great time of the motorway, I had time to mull over targets for the day, settling on sub 1:22 being outstanding (PB of 1:18:5x) and sub 1:24 probably being on track for a sub 3 at London, given the poor conditions. Impressively, Xempo offered pacers every five minutes form 1:15 - 2:30. So I thought I would follow the 1:20 pacer for the first few miles - with the tailwind it made sense to run these a little above average goal pace but to tag on to a group. Nice chat with an impressive vet (Mike Sheridan) in the tent, then a 2ish mile warm up as the atmosphere started to build nicely. 

After the usual rambling so on the PA (potentially longer and less coherent than any other race I’ve attended), we were off. If you’ve not done it, Wokey is a great race for having a good pack around you at most paces, at least in the first two-thirds of the race. I latched on the the 1:20 pacer, who surprisingly ditched his time stick after a 100m or so. Fortunately he kept on his t shirt. It felt a little punchy, but I was keen to maximise running in a group - and a gap had already formed behind us. The first mile was 5:50 (6:06 is 1:20 pace). It was at this point he said that he would bank lots of time I order to deal with headwinds later... I am keen for pacers to run even effort, rather than even pace, but this seemed a bit extreme in what is largely a flat race. He said that 5-8M would be tough into the wind, so I resolved to try to stay on until at least then if at all possible. The bungy cord was in operation, but I just about kept in there. Unlike some, I definitely enjoy running in a group. I find it motivating, as well as the obvious drafting benefits. I don’t find it too distracting watching out for stray legs etc.

We ticked along at about 5:56 average, above my PB pace. There were plenty of crosswinds, with the headwinds coming in waves at various points between 5 - 8M. I seemed to get a little distracted at the drinks station just before 
    8M, and fell off the group then. I was conscious that it would be damage limitation from this point onwards. The winds varied with our route direction, but I was, perhaps inevitably, feeling very, very tired. I was getting overtaken significantly more than I was overtaking, but I tried to tuck in a draft for at least a while on each occasion. From about mile 9 onward, my mile splits were 6:10 - 6:30ish, and by the last mile I was truly hanging on. I was well aware it would be very tough finish - the wind had been very noticeable even at the pedestrian warm up speed on this road. I ploughed through the treacle to finish in 1:22:12. 

Despite being overtaken a lot - a sure sign of a relatively poorly executed race, I am happy with the result. Given the tough conditions, lack of sleep and ongoing back/hip issue, this still puts me firmly in sub 3 territory. 

Although I could hear the wise words of HA in my head, I headed out on a longish warm down to get 20M down. This will definitely take longer to recover from - but I thought that an additional 40 minutes, given I was out all morning, wouldn’t impact family time too much and so didn’t want to pass up on the opportunity. Felt pretty bloody knackered, but really enjoyed doing an out and back along the course. Interesting how overdressed many of the runners in the 1:35 - 2:05 range seemed to be. So many leggings, long sleeve under tops and rucksacks. I get it if you are training for an ultra, but it must slow people down. Nice to see Reg (formerly of these parts) out on his bike. 

A nice, albeit brief, catch up with a mate at the end, before heading back. Just about survived being deafened by the V-Dub sound system van. Ridiculously loud - confirmation of my middle age. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - with 6 weeks until Manc it sounds to me that you are in very good shape, it was really windy today. You are well placed to run well, no need for another 1/2, maybe a 10k 2 or 3 weeks out?
  • Options
    Good work Cal. Your recent race results all point to a GFA time in Manchester.
    Top running at Wokey SQ.
    After a disappointing week culminated in my cancelled HM I was keen to get some miles in on my week off. Pleased to report I got the job done with 4 hilly off-road runs in to kick off the week: 13.7, 10.4, 14.2, 17.3. 1st pair were on FoD fire trails & the longer 2 were along the SW coast path into a headwind the whole way! Decided I’d earned a respite so an 11M hike across a boggy Bodmin Moor including scaling Brown Willy (Cornwall’s highest point) was Friday’s fare. Saturday I did Eden Project parkrun twice then 11M of hilly Cornish lanes this afternoon before the drive back to bring up 73 for the week.
  • Options
    SQ, great job for toughing it out. At least we didn't have the rain down the road in Hampton Court but the winds were tough after 7 miles. Even so, I agree about the clothes - I went with club vest, shorts and arm sleeves and I felt pretty hot at one stage. Very glad I didn't opt for leggings.

Nice work, Jooligan - I like the look of Eden Project but there seems to be a lot of nice (but challenging) parkruns in Cornwall.

I am a little concerned about a small bruise I have under the arch of my left foot - I found it when I was massaging my foot in the bath. Rather sore. I really hope it's just from stepping on something (not that I can remember doing that) and not something awful like a PF tear. I'd imagine the latter would be a lot more painful, though.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SQ - nice work at Wokingham. What's with this sub 3 talk still? You could run sub 3 backwards in my grandmother's slippers. I've seen the strava comments and hope things are ok at home. Something about one of the comments felt very familiar, pretty sure someone has said almost exactly that to me in the past.
  • Options
    Hello team!

Apologies for a slightly prolonged absence. In the past few days I have diligently read back to make sure I know what you've been up to. Lots of cancelled races (really sorry to hear Cal), as well as some good HM performances this weekend - was gutted not to be at Wokey for the first time in ages!

I was in South Africa for 2 weeks which was absolutely cracking - probably the best trip I've ever been on. Weather was perfect (if a little hot), scenery was amazing and we saw tonnes of wildlife.

Of course there was some running involved. Zandvlei parkrun on the first weekend to complete the parkrun alphabet. Interesting to note that out there they start bang on time (8am not 9), doing the briefing at 7:55 before lining up ready to go - very efficient. 

Second weekend we went to Outeniquasbosch parkrun (bit of a mouthful), with no idea of the profile. Turned out to be nearly 500ft of climbing - pretty brutal! Very hot day as well and I flogged myself probably a little too hard for first finisher in 19:51 which was an age category record - might've been the hardest parkrun I've done to date.

The reason flogging myself might not have been a good idea is that we had the Cape Peninsula half marathon the next day, which I decided to record on my GoPro where people on instagram enjoyed seeing me suffer like a dog. I went out far too fast in the heat and humidity (first mile 5:45 an through 5km in 18:10). Obviously I blew to pieces, covering the last miles in circa 7 minutes and finishing in 1:25. I always thought myself as a fairly good judge of pace but this was just ridiculous. We'd done 100 miles of hiking over the 2 weeks, so I probably wasn't super fresh!

However, the highlight of the trip was that I asked Katie if she'd like to be Mr JB - thankfully she said yes! Families delighted and I guess we are too!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Hey, hey, hey!!!! Great news Joe, well done!! Just had an idea - Guinness World record for fastest marathon dressed as bride and groom.  
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Can a priest or registrar do the official ceremony anywhere on the London course?
  • Options
    SQ - Nice work at Wokey, you are defo in sub 3 shape, probs closer to 2:55 I would guess. You ran around 60 minutes through 10 miles at Wokey which is punchy!
    Cal - Nice result in bad conditions at Hampton Court, agree with TR no need for another HM, focus on the marathon as that's the main goal.
    TR - Superb week, 40 miles over the weekend is great training.
    John - Superb long run and week.
    Jools - You are back!! Superb week.
    After not doing marathons last year to focus on getting faster over shorter distances (P&L training plans), which didn't work as I missed both my 10k and HM PB's by a few seconds I wasn't sure what to expect for Wokingham. Training had been going well, but I wasn't tapering and after 66 miles the previous week and a 15m MLR on Thursday, I didn't really know if a PB was on or not, I felt fit but not fast as LT runs had been slower in training than when doing P&L last year.
    Anyway drove down on Saturday evening, so a 2 mile warm up from the hotel to the start before hanging around the baggage tent before dropping my stuff at the latest possible moment! Gathered around the 1:25 pacer at the start, thinking that I'd run with them till about 10 miles and see what I had left.
    We are off, it's busy but first mile too fast, but had settled at the back of the group, however after a couple of miles it was too busy with the group and I couldn't run my natural stride, so pushed my way around the side of the group to go on ahead. First 3 miles in 6:15/6:21/6:10, too fast, hoping it doesn't come back to bite me later!!
    The good thing about Wokey is there are always people to run with as it's got good quality field. So latched on to a few others to knock off a few miles with, feeling good with lots of space 6:28/6:15/6:30. Was running with a guy training for his first marathon, Copenhagen in May, with a PB of 1:26, who looked to be on for a good PB.
    Kept catching other runners, so always had someone different to run with, caught up with another group around 9 miles and lost the Copenhagen marathon guy as I decided to pass the group as I had to keep chopping my stride and he didn't follow! Through 10 miles in 1:03:23 (Strava) 6:21/6:21/6:29/6:14. Right then a 20 minute parkrun to finish for a nice PB!!
    Mile 11 had a few inclines and it was now getting tough 6:40, still running with a few people, but needing to push as 6:40 was too slow! Pushed on through mile 12 at 6:22, trying to work out what my finish time might be, brain not really working, but knew I didn't have long to run, still picking people off, but the last 1km felt really tough coming back towards the park, mile done 6:25, turned the corner into the park, loads of runners ahead, push hard for the sprint finish (these shoes are good!!), crossed the line with gun time under 1:24, so knew I had a PB.....watch said 1:23:26 (which was official result), so a 58 second PB. Chuffed with that, a 1.3 mile cool down back to hotel to shower and checkout and drive home! 16 miles for the day and 58 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Sorry that was longer than expected!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - what a great trip, congratulations, flat caps all round.

Steve - great work. Made me smile that the full mara focus provided the pb (on a tough day) after the 1/2 mara focus didn't. Well done P and D.
  • Options
    Brilliant, Steve, you must be chuffed with that!

Joe, already congratulated you on Facebook, but I'm very happy for you both. And HA may have a good point about London.  Could be a bit warm for that get-up, though.
  • Options
    Joe - Sounds like an amazing trip. Congrats to Katie and yourself!!
    TR - I know, my previous HM PB was set while ultra training too! So clearly the higher mileage works for me!
    Cal - Yeah really happy with that, gives me confidence that the training is working.
  • Options
    Congratulations Joe. Looked like a perfect holiday & that's the icing on the cake of life.
    Cracking performance Steve - given most were slightly below par at Wokey it's all the more impressive.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Joe, I`d been following your SA journey on Facebook. Looks like a great end to the trip.

TR, a 40 mile weekend looks like what I have in store over the next few months. It`s good practice for running on tired legs

SQ -well done at Wokingham, that last hill at about 11 miles is a killer

Steve, great PB, especially as the conditions were not ideal.

Cal, that`s still a solid half in the middle of focused marathon training.

Jools, Eden parkrun is my favorite when visiting my parents. Lanhydrock is tough but I have to be in the right mood for that one. Brown Willy brings back memories of school where we would snigger at the maps in geography.

John, 80+ miles a week is good going, hope the legs are not too fatigued.

Hammo, the wind is a pain when trying to run to pace. I`ve been working on HR and the difference with the wind against is massive.

We managed to put on a parkrun on our "C" course. Admittedly it about 100m short but that`s the best we could do and I made people fully aware during the briefing that anyone who complained would get deleted ;) 

On Sunday was the Terminator, 12.5 miles, mostly mud, 2 rivers to cross and 4 very steep hills. Some people were crawling up the last 2. I overcooked things trying to get some time in the bank on the flatter first half and started to feel the years miles in the legs. Also took the downhills a bit more carefully than usual as was wary of twisting an ankle (or worse). I finished in 1hr 41which I was happy with and 5th for the Club. It was then a nervous wait for the results.
    in the end we won the big team prize for the best mixed team of 8 which earned us £50 in cash each!!!   Well worth going off the plan. Back to the tarmac tomorrow.
  • Options
    Congratulations Millsy. I did the Terminator a few years back. Tough course & really slippery descents as I recall. When I was club champs co-ordinator I put it in on the recommendation of an old hand & the deal was cemented by the large team cash prize however that year they'd stopped awarding it! Wonder when they started handing it out again?  
  • Options
    Millys, that sounds like my worst nightmare. Good job on the team prize - bonus!

Anyway, I've been consulting Dr Google, and while I know that's not always a good idea, I am 90% positive what I have is something called a plantar fibroma. I remember I did find it before during a self-foot massage and then forgot about it, as it wasn't sore at the time. It's still tender today so I'm going to give myself a few days. I'm seeing my  physio tomorrow. I really hope this doesn't mean a lot of downtime as I've had enough disappointments this year already and I really want to give Manchester a good punt.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cal - missed your race report earlier. It is amazing how you can feel like you're running into a headwind the whole way. As much as anything, it's really demoralising. Sounds like it didn't go too bad though, only 8s slower than last year in that wind. Hope the foot improves. I would be cautious about properly racing another half before Manchester. I don't recover as quickly as most people seem to so trying to squeeze things in can affect the training and result in niggles. Just my thoughts.

Steve - Great work. That's a great PB in those conditions. Sounds like a very well run race, you should be chuffed. More to come in good conditions. Don't apologise for the long post, it's a big PB and deserves a decent report.

Millsy - sounds a great race and a bonus £50. Great day out all round.
  • Options
    Millsy - Great run on what sounds like a very tough course, great cash win too!!

Anyway, today was 12 miles with 6*1km reps. I knew it would be tough after the weekend, but wanted to get it done. Reps were 3:43/3:49/3:44/3:42/3:41/3:47 for a 3:44 average, which is basically bang on 5k pace! I knew after the first rep that it would be tough and while I couldn't hold sub 6 min mile pace, got it done which should be good training!
  • Options
    Also watch the Panorama documentary last night, Mo and UKA didn't come out of that very well!! 30 minutes long if you need something to watch!
  • Options
    That's a tasty recovery session Steve ;)
    Keen to maintain last week's momentum despite the adverse weather I jumped on the TM after work yesterday. Wasn't entirely sure what to do but figured I'd do c.90mins. To keep it slightly less monotonous I like to change the pace periodically so decided on a progression starting at 8:3x & ramping it up every K. Quickly realised this rate of progress was going to be unsustainable so figured once I'd done 10K I'd be at MP so I'd do the next 10K@6:48 however I was feeling OK so after 9K I did a K at 6:26 before rounding the session up to a HM whilst gradually decreasing the speed. All in all 13.2M@7:16 pace & a decent confidence booster B)
    Totally rubbish traffic today meant I didn't get in in time for my pre-work run but just time for a bit of S&C in the gym. Almost abandoned the car & ran in but didn't fancy runing home too. I'll get out at lunch for 5M hopefully.
  • Options
    TR...Nice Long run, sensible to leave the MP in those conditions, you are ahead of the game there anyway. Well backed up too, that is a monster of a weekend.

Cal...Brilliant work at the parkrun and the half, hell of a weekend there. Your 1/2 time in those conditions is excellent, and certainly points to the gfa time being smashed in Manchester. Hope the foot/bruise is nothing sinister and you get good news off the physio.

John...Good long run with a fast finish, and a big week, no wonder your legs were feeling a bit fatigued.

SQ...Impressive write up, and a brilliant race. You are definitely on for a sub 3, i agree with HA there, you just need to start believing it. Sounds like horrendous conditions, and you still ran fast.

Jools...Big week Jools, fair play, glad you're back. The Eden parkrun looks class. Good work on the treadmill, rightfully confidence boosting.

Joe...Sounds a class trip, i love South Africa, huge congratulations to you both, brilliant news. And congrats on completing the parkrun alphabet too, some effort.

Steve...Good write up, never apologise for that, it was good reading. Very impressive run, i knew it was coming, massive congrats on the pb, excellent work.

Millsy...Brilliant work at the terminator, class name for a race. by the way Sounds like a horrific course, congrats on the placement, time and team prize, good days work all in.

Been mental at work this last few days, so only getting a chance to catch up now. Saturday was 10 mile with strides in the wind, not fun. The wind however, thankfully died down a bit for Sundays 20 miler with 12@MP effort, it was still breezy enough but no where near the gales of late. As usual with these efforts i ran the first part progressively, miles 1 - 8, went from 6.57 down to 6.17 min miles, then the MP'd 12 averaged 5.50 min miles (range of 5.47-5.55) exactly. Delighted with that, and a confidence boost. It was hard work at times if i'm honest, harder than it maybe should have been, but overall it was comfortably uncomfortable as they say. Warmed down with  a junior parkrun with my baby as usual, who earned her marathon distance certificate, which isn't bad for a 4 year old. This brought me up to a weekly total of 104 miles.

Monday was the usual recovery runs, of 6 and 5 miles, to start off this cut back week. 10M with strides this morning, and i'm starting to really notice the light mornings creeping in, very welcomed.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Millsy - ooh nice one on the win. How many back to back long run weekends would you do? I might do it again, but not sure when to do it 

Steve - blimey, i wouldnt have done that session 2 days after a 1/2. You obviously have more to come over a 1/2.

Hamo - i knew youd get the 12m mp done  you are an inspiration. Cracking work.

6m easy yday, unsurprusingly i was pretty tired after saturday and sunday, 8m inc strides today felt a bit better.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    300 up for feb today, so im on target for 340ish which would be decent for me even with 31 running days (esp given my non doubles).
  • Options
    Averaging 12M a day there TR! Nice work.
    More great running from Hamo too.
    I got my 5M done at lunch: stuck to the treadmill to avoid the hail showers. Just back from the club track session: another 5M banked with 10x400m averaging 87s a lap.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Congrats Joe! Fantastic news and amazing location to do it, well done! When’s the big day?

Steve - well earned PB and great report. I suspected that all that marathon training was going to pay off and encouraging to know you can go even quicker if you’re luckier with the weather. And to then back it up with 1k reps is mightily impressive. 

SQ - strong running and with your endurance I can see that time taking you closer to 2:55 than 3. I did laugh at that Strava comment, she was just joking right!?

TR - another big week ticked off, can’t fault you for getting the miles in! 

Hamo - incredible that you got 12@MP done in that weather, even if it died down. Amazing to think there’s still a couple of months to go so you can improve even more. Well done to your daughter, runs in the family!

Jools - great TM run, the varied paces must make the time fly by. 

Millsy - congrats on the win, sounds like a fun race. Also well done on getting in parkrun, must be a major headache for so many RDs these last few weeks. 

Cal - Well done at Hampton Court in the conditions. Hope you’re on the mend and it’s nothing serious. Like the others I would suggest just focusing on Manchester particularly if you have a few niggles to work through. 

Mainly recoveries this week so far but got in 6x800m on Tues. Tried to run without checking my pace so it came out a bit fast or slow but got them all done in 2:47-3:02. So after 6 Foot Track almost being cancelled due to bushfires, then back on after a week of rain, now it turns out there was too much of it and it resulted in landslides and closed access roads. They still haven’t cleared them and so there was no option other than to cancel it. Gutted as I’ve been wanting to go back for 4 years but it’s the right decision. Leaves me with some good training but no race to test it out on. Only option is Canberra Marathon which is 3 weeks later, 5.5 weeks from now. Haven’t done much marathon specific running though so need to decide quickly if I want to commit, as I know it won’t be a PB. I have a HM in mid May so there should be time to recover.