Options

Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    It’s a shame that they’ve had to postpone, but understandable.

I won’t make the new date as I have other plans in mind, as long as long as the world hasn’t gone full zombie apocalypse by that point! 
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Glad i didn't book any flights or accommodation now - hope no one is left much out of pocket.

Think i'm good for October - hadn't signed up an autumn one yet.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    NatMac - Great news that you’ll be able to rearrange your trip. 

Pistol - I thought I was being smart booking the flights early and getting the hotel cheap on a non-cancel booking. The best laid plans of mice and men...
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac this sounds like it was.meant to be. Will you miss your tulips?

Pistol101 and there was me thinking that you'd left it late 😁
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    The hotels are looking quite expensive for October! Shall be waiting again!!
  • Options
    Orbutt yes I will miss my tulips - but have escaped from this whole postponement  fairly unscathed, thank goodness 😊
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Sigh. 300 or more on flights, over 500 on a hotel (long weekend for my me and my wife ) all non refundable.

And the new date is 7 days before the Dublin marathon.

I think we might just go to France anyway for the holiday. And wait to see the email - they might offer next April instead for those who cant do October.

I'm going to struggle for motivation now for my 20 run that was due tomorrow morning
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk. It is the most beautiful of cities and I could think of worse places to go for a weekend.
    If your flights and hotel are not refundable then you might as well go.
    The park run may still be on.

Our hotel allows cancellation so we wont be going. We'll have to cut our losses on the flights.
    I wonder if a refund of entry is on the cards? I doubt it, as they've re-sceduled but you never know.
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    > @chamolk said:
    > Sigh. 300 or more on flights, over 500 on a hotel (long weekend for my me and my wife ) all non refundable.
    >
    > And the new date is 7 days before the Dublin marathon.
    >
    > I think we might just go to France anyway for the holiday. And wait to see the email - they might offer next April instead for those who cant do October.
    >
    > I'm going to struggle for motivation now for my 20 run that was due tomorrow morning

Similar situation to me
    booked a package through Eurostar, non refundable, booked Friday-Monday with the wife so will still go to Paris that weekend
    I can't however make the revised date in October so am going to look for a local marathon around the time of Paris so that the training doesn't go to waste
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    We have cancelled the hotel and are now waiting to see whether we have to accept the October date or can postpone to next year. October is not good for me as I work as a seasonaire and am not sure when my contract will end. 

Once we know the above we will look at changing our Eurostar tickets. 
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    It’s shit :( we will be going anyway as Eurostar is non refundable and £120 to change trains to October. there’s a few others that’ll still be going (baring Paris being totally shut down and nothing open), so stay tuned we may still have meet up drinkies and very casual run on Sunday.

For everyone who’s got non refundable. That’s shit! Check whether you paid by credit card, sometimes that can cover you and there’s sometimes a term “hidden” in travel insurance for event curtailments. Also, if you rescheduling for October try phoning the hotel direct and they might help.

My frustration is there’s been no full response from Paris bods yet. We know it’s postponed BUT can we get a refund of entry if can’t make October or can we defer to 2021? Rome really has set the standard with their brilliant response. I don’t think Paris will be the same unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Brighton are offering 2020 places to Paris and Rome participants, i have had an email from Brighton detailing this. Anyone wishing to run Brighton should contact them.
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    TR - does it say how you go about getting one of the places? I could be interested...
  • Options
    @Munchkin2 Ah the irony.... I signed up for Paris as my first marathon as I wanted to do my first one somewhere special...and where no one knows me (in case I didn’t finish).
    I live in Brighton 🙄
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Email office@brightonmarathon.co.uk

You have to provide proof of paris place, initially id just make contact with the address and see what they say.
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    Ignore that - I have found it - thanks!
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Its very decent of them, however I did Brighton as my first marathon and hated every minute of it so not sure I want to do it again
    I do wonder what would happen if Manchester, Brighton and London got cancelled
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the current worry for many . I've got a place in London that I was planning on deferring to next year, but now I'm thinking of doing it. I'm not sure I want to risk more flights and hotels, especially booking this late, if it gets cancelled .

Maybe I'll just do 8.5 parkruns instead some weekend
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    has anybody had anything official from the marathon as yet?
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    Not yet other than on their website and Facebook page. No email...
  • Options
    phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Apparently there is a young Italian marathon runner ill with coronavirus who is said to be ill partly because he was vulnerable following endurance exercise. Something called the open window effect. Does anybody know anything about it? It could be true or something we should be skeptical about. Here is a link to a paper:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20839496

• Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Yeah phronesis, it's thought to be a genuine thing - basically you're more susceptible to infections (upper respiratory tract was what I'd seen before) after a marathon or similar even .

I remember seeing a study a few years ago that said it was due to the spike in cortisol, and that spike could be reduced somewhat by taking carbs during /immediately the event - spikes in cortisol happen when the body is stressed, and taking more carbs to prevent /reduce hitting the wall helped reduce the stress on the body near the end of the marathon.

As far as I remember.
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    wheatism said:
    @Munchkin2 Ah the irony.... I signed up for Paris as my first marathon as I wanted to do my first one somewhere special...and where no one knows me (in case I didn’t finish).
    I live in Brighton 🙄
    Ooopsy!!! Maybe try Stratford or MK instead? They still have spaces and are a bit further away from Brighton. 

Brighton was my first marathon! Wasn't looking at doing it again but might consider it now that Paris is out of the question.
  • Options
    phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    chamolk said:
    Yeah phronesis, it's thought to be a genuine thing - basically you're more susceptible to infections (upper respiratory tract was what I'd seen before) after a marathon or similar even .

I remember seeing a study a few years ago that said it was due to the spike in cortisol, and that spike could be reduced somewhat by taking carbs during /immediately the event - spikes in cortisol happen when the body is stressed, and taking more carbs to prevent /reduce hitting the wall helped reduce the stress on the body near the end of the marathon.

As far as I remember.
    Thanks chamolik. I suppose some of those long runs we are all doing at the moment could also count. 
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Yeah, some aren't far off the distance, though if it's at an easier pace it'll help a bit

I did a fast finish 20 mile run this morning , so I'm probably a bit run down now
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I've finished plenty of races and developed 'Marathon Runners Cough' later on.
    I just thought that this was common. 
  • Options
    I'm still going to go. Paris, spring time, an unexpectedly free Sunday morning - what could be better? Plus I now get to enjoy a drink with dinner on the Saturday for the first time.

Here's some more good news - if you haven't sorted your medical certificate yet, wait unitl May before you do and it'll be accepted for the October re-scheduled race and April 2021's! Just me? Oh, ok.

Ironically, the JdD published my profile today: https://www.lejdd.fr/Sport/le-britannique-au-tee-shirt-anti-brexit-prepare-son-11e-marathon-de-paris-consecutif-3953546
  • Options
    Forgot to say, my schedule for Autumn is now looking like something Eddie Izzard put together - 
    Chicago 11th Oct
    Paris 18th Oct
    New York 1st Nov

Not quite sure what I'm going to do with that spare Sunday on the 25th. Maybe get someone to jump up and down on my legs for a few hours?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    That’s a tough, but impressive schedule. I loved Chicago when I ran it in 2012. New York is a race that’s still on my to do list.

I was looking at running Chuncheon and Seoul later this year, which are a week apart, but any trip like that will depend on this virus situation settling down.