Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Nice to see the Men again swittle, thanks. Can also recommend a visit there. Breezy for your run.

Great parkrunning Cal, shame about the ticket.

Good luck today JD.

Right decision regarding the HM LTT. That's also a very good parkrun time. Careful with that foot.

14 miles on Friday, bit over-enthusiastic pacewise. If my legs feel overly tired on today's long run then I will know one reason why! 5 recovery late afternoon yesterday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    swittle - I do keep my tickets in my Oyster wallet - I suppose I might have pulled two out when I went to go through the ticket barrier and one fell on the floor (I was in a bit of a rush due to the train delay). I can't see how else it could have happened.
    My parkrun barcode is on a wristband - I never forget that!
    Nice photos - my friend Colin took me there after one of my Liverpool marathons. And good running.
    Nice 14, Hazelnut.

Not really sure how far I ran today - my watch threw a wobbler. Did the Brockwell route with some flourishes on either side. First my watch took 5 minutes to find the GPS then, after 17 miles, it went completely nuts and started giving me 7:20 miles which I knew wasn't right (7:20 is actually my mile PB, as it stands - not the kind of speed I'm going to be busting out after three hours on my feet). The last three were like that (apparently I ran a 22:30 5K - I've had to go into my watch and delete the erroneous PBs)  so I did an extra half mile or so, but I think it's more likely I ran around 19 miles than 20. My finishing point on the map bears no relation to my actual finishing point so I don't know what happened - perhaps something local was interfering with it.
    There was an  update when I got home so I think that might've caused the issue - least I hope so, as having that kind of thing happen during a race could cost me a PB.
    That aside, decent run - a little posterior tib grumpiness (right) but the foot (left) was pretty quiet.
    Anyway, ran for around 3 hours 17 so however far it was, it was a good long run.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A fine 14, Hazel - and you're in good shape if a 5 is your recovery from that!

Pleased people like the pictures of the Iron Men.  A few months ago, some were extracted and refurbished: you'll see why from the pic:
  • Options
    Surprising they are not covered in H&S warnings swittle but I guess the tides would deal with that. I remember seeing one at least who looked like he had spent too long at the pub.

Wierd watch tantrum Cal.  Good to be prepared for such to happen in a race. My watch froze after 2 miles in Berlin 2018 other than the stopwatch which threw me for a few minutes but I was able to ignore it and the distraction of manually calculating progress was actually helpful.  Definitely a good long run by you today. Or a long good run? Hmm might be a difference there.

Finished a rare 60 mile week with my first 20 miler (20.5) for quite some time in just short of 3 hours.  Decided to go for distance rather than any MP miles today and was pleased to finish feeling I could have done more.  Nice day for it, sunny with a slight cool breeze. Got out before the Sunday afternoon rambling masses for once. I was also pleased with myself that I was able to turn of thoughts of why I am doing this, the race won't happen, and just run.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great photos Swittle,some of them are looking worse for wear!

They joys of having a technology malfulction Cal.We rely heavily on watches these days,when years ago it was mostly run to feel or used a basic stopwatch.Another good long run as well.

That's a monster weekly total Hazelnut and a slick 20 as well.

Chester 10k this morning,and for the first time there were two waves for the start.First wave for the 40 minute and under men and ladies under 45,I went out with the second wave.
    And I ran like a total novice!I went out in a sub 5k pace and when I eventually slowed down it was still at a 5k pace and eventually that pace caught up with me.As I were approaching the village Mollington for the turn round back to Chester,there were hundreds of the first wave runners on the other side of the road and within ten minutes I was swerving around the runners to get past them which isn't ideal.
    The last 2k I was running on jelly legs and any speed had long disappeared.I finished with a time of 42:51,60 odd seconds slower than my course record.
    Finished 198/4562 and MV45 17/321.
    The two wave start is good in principal but it caused a few problems,so next time I'll go with the first wave.I still enjoyed the race despite my amateur racing!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    We all do it, JD - I ran like an idiot when I did Kingston half - went out at 10K pace (wasn't intending to...just happened) and then crashed and burned, but I did manage to hang on for a PB. I paced Farnborough much better and got the exact same time, but felt a load better at the end. Well done on your placing - not bad at all.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Nice PR time LTT - as others have said sub 20 can't be far off.

Good to see you're getting back into, swittle, and nice photos. I've read about the installations, but never actually seen them. Must try and get up some time.

Good Sunday run Cal and well done on placing first in your age group on Saturday.

That's a great distance Hazelnut - building up nicely.

Good effort on the Chester 10K JD. The staggered start sounds a very good idea. I seem to remember they do that on the old Vitality 10K in London, but it only really works if people are honest about their target times. I've been in the 50-55 min group before and have had people stop in front of me after 1K!!

Got the all clear to run from the osteopath, but to build things up gently. So two runs this weekend, first time I've run back to back since the beginning of February. Saturday was East Brighton Parkrun, which is part of the club's grand prix series so felt obliged to turn up even if there was no chance of doing particularly well. Not helped by the fact I had a bit of a spasm in the back before we set off, but I kept that to myself. Strange course, all grass and you do 3 laps. You run along tiered banks, dropping down a tier each lap. Unfortunately I think I rather shot my bolt at the start bounding up the steepest hill, schoolboy error. In the end I was just glad to finish, but the time was 26:55. I did manage to finish ahead of my partner. Cakes were coffee and walnut or vegan lemon and raspberry. Both went down well, although I think the standing around afterwards wasn't appreciated by my back.

Sunday we went for a gentle jog along the Adur. When we left home it was nice and sunny, but when we pulled into the car park it started chucking it down. We sat for 5 mins in the hope it would ease off, which it did. So set off running by the perimeter of Shoreham airport, which had quite a strong crosswind. Kept the pace to around 9:15 min/mile and hoped to do 3 miles out and then back. In the end we turned at 2.5 and I wasn't really moving too well. Eventually my partner started to pull away (I think this pleased her) as I started to slow down. Amazing how much I seem to have lost in pace and endurance over the last 7 weeks.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's great news, GD! Was East Brighton muddy? I've heard that parkrun could be cancelled at any point if the medical helicopter has to land, although so far it hasn't done so. Cakes sound good - standing around, less so. I hurt my back doing yoga one week and it was absolutely killing me when I marshalled at parkrun a couple of days later. I had a half the next day and honestly wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but loaded up on painkillers (including a TENS device) and I actually not only managed to run but got a PB. I think the standing was way worse than the running.
    Don't worry about the lost progress - it comes back quickly. I've had periods out with injury and have always ended coming back faster.

Rather warm today - it was threatening to rain so I wore a T-shirt with a jacket and I felt rather hot for most of it.
    After the first couple of miles another runner pulled alongside me and asked if I was training for a marathon and I ended up running with him for another three or so miles before he had to peel off back home (which is on the other side of the common from me). It was rather nice having a natter as we ran, but my intended recovery pace turned into the fast end of easy pace. Oh well! Legs weren't feeling bad after Sunday so I guess that's OK.
    I've also done the most frivolously runnery thing ever, which is entering an evening 10K tomorrow because I like the medal. (That aside, going by Saturday's parkrun I might have a chance of a good time).
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And 8 miles recovery this morning, which I was a lot more disciplined at maintaining than yesterday. Quite enjoyed running slowly - lots of daffodils and magnolias about and I even saw a woodpecker - heard him close by and was going slowly enough that I had time to look for him on the tree.
    Made myself stretch afterwards, too.
  • Options
    LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Noooo!

2 runs to report; first cut short after 3 miles with excruciating right foot pain. 
    2nd, decided to push through it, 5 very painful miles, hobbling at the end.

How have I gone from being injured for 2 months/ Ok for a few weeks/ injured again? ****ing exasperating.

Really hoping it's something that isn't another two months off affair, and will heal fast. may be a sprain? hope so.  God knows what's happened there.

Awesome pictures of the art statues Swittle. Does the local lifeboat ever get called out accidently to rescue them the tide floods in? Guess the locals know what they are.

Huge week Hazlenut, and solid 20 miler. yes, magnolia and daffodils here too is great to see! spring just round the corner.

That's a great 10k time JD, and good placing. Sounds tricky navigating those runners. I'm hoping with a 20:22 5k I can get a 45ish 10k this year, but it's a good bit harder I know.

Nice running Cal, cool to meet a friendly runner en route! I see the same 3 people when I run and say hi, never see them at local events though.

That's great news Guardog! sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Nice running.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh crap, Linton, that's bad luck. Where is the pain, exactly?

• Options
    Hi Cal, just down and in front of my ankle bone(?) Doubt it's called that..
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Forecast was for gusts to 40mph this afternoon, so I set out before noon....and found the sea crashing over the prom and every Iron Man submerged!  Diverted inland up to Burbo Bank and turned into the wind without problems.  3rd 30-min. Run-Walk :-)

Your 10k time is highly creditable, JD1.  I suggested wave starting for VLM on Fetch but got shot down.

Thanks, Guarddog - I'm biased but I love the resilience and scale of 'Another Place'.
    Sounds like a welcome return - I'd run faster for a cake spread like that!

Cal, glad your back is behaving itself.

LTT - just an idea: are your shoes laced up too tightly?  Or socks too thick?  I hope it's just a blip.  Re Iron Men: only inflatables could get anywhere near, although the furthest 'Man' is 1km out into the channel.  RNLI is called out regularly to help people stuck in the quicksand and mud in isolated places.

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great news GD,just need to ease yourself back into it and hopefully you'll get back to full fitness.Coffee and walnut is my fave, can never say no to a piece.

It's been t - shirt  and shorts weather up here as well Cal.Good luck for tomorrows 10k.

Oh no,Linton,gutted for you,fingers crossed it'll be a short term injury.

8.25 easy miles yesterday .Thought I'd do some interval training this afternoon,so got up handily after working nights and took the dogs out for a walk first.I had only been out 5 minutes when Polly whacked my ankle with a heavy log,right on the sticky out bit,bloody hell it hurt.After 15 minutes I was limping heavily and glad to get home.At the moment I can't move my ankle and toes and can't walk at all,so don't think I'll be running for a while.Just hoping it's heavily bruised and nothing else.

• Options
    Evening..

Polly seems a dangerous pooch JD. Ice? Hope it is just a bruise. Great 10k in Chester, shame about the pacing, been there,done that..

Stormy conditions swittle.

Great you've been cleared to run again GD.  hmm always like the cake news.

Good look for the 10k tomorrow Cal. Nice to have company on a run like that. Daffodils out here but no magnolias yet.

Oh no LTT! Don't try to run on it if it hurts that much.  Not twisted it? Swittle's point regarding the shoe laces is also possible.

2 6 milers for me, 1 with my Tuesday group yesterday (strange..) Faster than I could have done with considering Sunday's long run. Bit of a risk running with others but a couple of weeks ago I was whinging about a very slow outing..Damp sort of evening but not very cold

Recovery pace this evening. And a lovely one it was. Was a bit overdressed.

My spring mara (Hamburg) is off (possibly postponed).  Will take a cut-back week and think about how to carry on. Likely no races at all here for a while. Vague hopes of a local ultra at the beginning of June. We will see.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey, JD, that dog is going to put you in the hospital at this rate!

Sorry about Hamburg, Hazelnut - I have doubts about Manchester (and London) happening now. The fact it's been declared a pandemic is going to put the wind up people.

I did get my evening race done, though it didn't go as smoothly as all that. This morning's run was fine, then carried a big bag back from the launderette with no problems, ate, watched TV, played around on the computer for a bit, then made a coffee about an hour before leaving and all fine. Get up from my chair to change into my running kit and my SI joint (right this time) screams at me. It took me a good 20 seconds to manage to attain an upright posture. By this point I had only enough time to change into my stuff and leave, but I stuck my Theragun on it and tried to stretch as best I could.
    It was uncomfortable as I walked down to the tube, OK when I was sat down but uncomfortable again as I stood up. This was going to be fun.
    I spotted Scott, another runner from my club (he's very tall so hard to miss) as I was leaving the station so we had a good chat and it took my mind off my back a bit. What I did notice was that the wind had really picked up and was pretty gusty. Oh boy.
    After I'd got my number and dropped my bag I ran around in a circle for a bit (there wasn't much time by that point) and figured I could run with it because, well, I was going to have to. If it hurt too much there was always the option to drop down to 5K as the 10 was four laps and the 5, 2.
    Time to line up at the start (fortunately, Garmin has been working fine since the update) and then it was off.
    I was familiar with the park from running the half marathon there last year and it covers some of the same paths. However, it was dark, which was a novel experience for me - I've done a few evening races before but all in summer when it's been light. The park looked very cool with the Orbit and various structures all lit up but not all the paths were fantastically well lit, so that was a challenge for me and my less than optimal eyesight.
    The first bit went around the outside of the stadium and there was a nasty headwind for a bit of this. Then we peeled off and went on a long dogleg, which culminated in a hairpin turn. On the way back there was one path that had funky lanterns above it that cast spots across the path and as it was windy, this were swirling around and messed with my head. It was like trying to run through a fun house. I was careful to keep my eyes on the runner in front on subsequent laps but suffice to say I didn't much like this stretch.
    I was still feeling OK after two laps so decided to stay on for the full 10. I figured it wasn't going to be a PB due to the wind but I would do as well as I could. My SI joint pain seemed to ease the longer I ran so I just got on with it. A couple of my mile splits were slower than I wanted - the ones where the wind was bad - but I found something for the last mile and was able to keep pushing. However, I still seemed to be a good way from the finish when I got to mile 6 (I work in miles, even in metric races. I'm old, OK?) In the end, my Garmin measured it as 6.4 miles and while Garmin is not always to be trusted, it definitely seemed longer than the Battersea 10K where I set my PB. Scott also concurred that it was long.
    I finished in 52:07, which is a couple of minutes shy of that PB but, given the wind, my blasted pelvis and the long course, I'm happy enough with that. I felt strong and I'm content I gave it my best shot. And the medal is very nice, which was the whole reason I entered.

• Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    That's great news, GD! Was East Brighton muddy? I've heard that parkrun could be cancelled at any point if the medical helicopter has to land, although so far it hasn't done so. 
    We'd prepared ourselves to move our grand prix to Preston Park if the course was too muddy, but it wasn't too bad, Cal. We were advised trail shoes would be the runners du jour on the day and I'd say that in horse racing parlance the going was soft to good. I do know it sapped my legs and I think it's probably a good 2 mins slower than a PB course, so quite happy with the time. And the helicopter advice is indeed accurate. They did say they'd not had an instance in the last year, but I don't think it's been going that long. If I'm honest I was more worried about the car still being there. The area has a....ahemmm...reputation.

Well done on the runs and good luck for the 10K this evening. There is absolutely nothing wrong with entering for the bling  :smiley:

Take it steady LTT, hopefully it's just a minor set back. I know how frustrating it is, but being sensible is the way to go.

No running to report this week. I did manage the gym on Monday, but I've been eye deep in work and not had any free time. The good news is I've signed a contract for new employer. Big weight off my mind.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great news, GD.

I managed a gentle 6 miles this morning. SI joint was pretty cranky and I expect it will continue to be a nuisance for the next week or so, but it won't stop me running (it's not the first time this has happened so I know generally how long it lasts).
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hazelnut,sorry to hear about Hamburg, but not surprised.

Well done on the 10k Cal.Strange that your SI joint decided to play up right before a race.Good news that you felt strong so maybe aim for a PB later in the season.

Nothing worse than work getting in the way of running GD!

Ankle is very sore,bruised and swollen.Can't walk on it properly,so my wife's persuaded me to go to A&E tomorrow morning.My wife has to take our eldest daughter to the fracture clinic (wrist) anyway,so will drop me off.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope it's not a fracture, JD...Bad Polly! Going to take a rest today.
  • Options
    Would get it checked out JD.  Good luck.

Well done on the 10k Cal, looks like a solid interpretation of the result to me.  Just looked up where the SI joint is.  Ouch.

Good news on the new job GD.  Hope you can get out for a run soon.

MLR for me yesterday evening - a bit shorter this week - around 12 miles.  Was late going out and feeling a bit tired.  With my flat mara cancelled I have no excuse to be avoiding hills anymore so I trotted one of my old standard routes with quite a few undulations.  Reduced to a bit of a crawl up one of those due to the gradient and the headwind.  Met the two mini-pigs out for walkies with their owners again, they seem to love it. 
  • Options
    A lot for me to catch up on, but great to see everyone running despite the fears over the spread of the virus!

PB for a 10k of 54:40 minutes last night, so especially happy about that

A gentle 3 miles on the treadmill today just to recover, along with some other bits of work around the gym.

Reading half in 3 weeks looks to still be going ahead as is. I'd put myself down for a 2hr 15 finish but now want to push for a 2 hour finish. With proper pacing, I think it's doable but I can't amend my entry to change my start time...darn.
  • Options
    Well done on your 10k Malteser.  I wouldn't be over-optimistic about Reading taking place, is it not quite a large event? At least with running as such we are generally not dependent on something being open and as long as we are still allowed and are healthy can go out and run.

Was quite late going out today as well, almost canned my run but more or less told myself that and laced up the shoes. Warm-up, 5 x 600 with 1:30 recoveries and a cool-down for 11k. Not much of a speed session considering what would have been on the mara plan but did at least remind the legs how to run fairly fast.  Another race cancelled today, a 15k next Saturday with several thousand entrants over several races. Was inevitable with our rules (events in that region now only allowed 50 max.)
  • Options
    2.8 miles of agony last night, so guess I've bounced from one nasty injury to another.  

Really losing my enthusiasm with running now, what's the point of a hobby I can only do well maybe 30% of the time?  Pointless.  Time to look for a new hobby maybe.

Good running everyone  hope you heal quick JD.

What's everyone take on whether small, under 500 people, races going ahead?
  • Options
    Will just have to take time off AGAIN and get back into it.
     Apologies for the negative rant, I'm normally very upbeat, just it took me 10 weeks to get over the knee injury and to get a bad foot injury instantly is a crap.

That's life I guess
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That's rotten for you, LTT - I suppose there's some compensation in that your knee is healed.

This afternoon, 30 minutes' continuous running for the first time in ten months :-)  I felt ever so slightly rebellious in running at all but neither the Merseyside Police nor the RNLI took the slightest notice!

The beach shone as sun reflected in the tide's remnants and the bright, mild weather had brought a good turnout of people and dogs alike.  Back down the trails on the return, I reflected on how much I've missed the terrain.
  • Options
    Feel free to rant LTT.  Non-runners might not feel your frustration but I am sure we can on here.  But please don't try to run if it hurts that much.

Great news swittle.  As long as we are allowed out at all...

Meet-up with a couple of people from my Tuesday group on Saturday morning for a hilly round.  Around 8k - forgot to take my watch so I don't know.  Talk was of the inevitable but we did find some other topics as well.  A few short efforts were put in and a good stretch afterwards.

Yesterday a 16 miler with OH on his bike as accompaniment.  Nice to have someone to talk to about what I could see and very convenient to have a water carrier.  Some long dragging climbs and my legs were tired by the end of it.  Lovely day though - lots of cyclists out.  Making sure to appreciate any trip outside at the moment.  We are likely only days away from lockdown in Switzerland.  Running rest day today so will cycle instead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My back seems to have eased so I did get out for a nice 8 miles this morning, though I have nothing to train for (I'm assuming the few races I have booked over the coming months are unlikely to take place). Cool, fresh, no wind, lots of blossoms and flowers - it would have been enjoyable but for the feeling of impending doom. I am less scared of the actual virus than I am on all the restrictions and shortages and economic fallout. In Spain, people are not allowed out of their houses and are being chased by drones if they try go go out. I'm thankful that I can still go for a run on a nice day.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done on your PB,malteser.I have to agree with Hazelnut regarding the Reading half,as it's a fairly large event.

Linton,have a good rant,nobody will criticise you and don't give up on running!Regarding about races under 500,things are changing so fast,I reckon even the small races will be cancelled.

The 16 miler sounded lovely Hazelnut,with all of the had news,running can be a saviour.

Well done on the 30 minutes run Swittle,that's a big milestone.

I didn't go to A&E in the end,which I'm glad as my ankle is slowly getting better.Swelling is going down and I managed to put a sock on my foot over the weekend.Itching to get out for a gentle run,might go for a jog tomorrow.
    There's a local fell race on Saturday and I'm still contemplating turning up for it,I wouldn't race it,just go round at an easy pace,especially on the descent.I'll make a decision Friday.
    Polly is still in the dog house.

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Cal,I know what you mean about the impending doom,everytime you put the news on they give you the casualty figures from across Europe.I've already said to my wife they're not going to stop my running.I'll just run trails where I don't see anyone.