Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - good idea, less miles per run might help you heal up a bit.

Wardi - pisser, esp when youve already tapered. I guess you ease it back up again now then.

Menn - i like the P and D approach ti making folks strong. The LT and mp runs "loom" a bit, but iis good when youve done them.

OO - my eldest is moving out this weekend (with his gf), so ive been putting together ikea wardrobes this afternoon.

Following Barca i expect vlm to be called off pretty soon. I might need to jump fwd a week in my schedule following fleet (by then it might be6 weeks til the big day,  or 5, or 7).
  • Options
    Annoying about Barca Wardi great park run 
    belting session TR 
    Overdistance trail run this morning 3:27 think I went through Mara 3:21 (Ted Rodgers hands assuming he’s not been yewtreed)

id be ok with London being autumn, gutted if cancelled 
    think it’s one or the other 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - good time on feet there. Cant see it being moved to autumn as theyd have to find a weekend when they can shut the ciry down, Aptil is kind of reserved.....although 4 wks before Abo would do nicely.

Autumn mara calendar is going to be pretty jam packed.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    A tired 8m here today, ive hammered my legs a bit recently though.
  • Options
    20 today, not sure if it'll be a waste of time - if VLM is off I won't look for a replacement, just do some low-key HMs.  If VLM goes I expect the Bristol 10k (which is that England Masters race) to go too. Looks like there'll be plenty of options for an Autumn marathon before I get going for Tokyo 2021.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    21 for me. Legs were a bit tired after 12 with 6 @ half mara pace yesterday. 70 fir the week but with everything so up in the air it feels a bit unreal. Still, I need the fitness boost from the training whether I get to race or not!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wtgy - now that's a proper long run. Feel increasingly optimistic London will go ahead as planned. This would be my 7th London and was a bit blasé a few months ago, but now as under threat really keen to run it in April.
    TR - not surprised after ydays long run.
    20.5 miles for me with a bit if a breeze to make it a bit tough. Yes, might be keen on Barcelona in October if able to enter. 
  • Options
    Nice weekend there Joolska.

What is the basis for your optimism OuchOuch? With the increase in confirmed cases today I'm of the opposite view - I think it's more likely to be cancelled.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice running Joolska, WTGY and CD

13 for me today - achilles is pretty sore after but am icing and massaging and stretching etc and hoping it is just a management thing.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I cant see vlm happening, 45000 runners, travellers from countries that are already cancelling races, 1,000,000 spectators, sucking up lots of NHS staff as race day medics.......the stuff with folks saying theyd turn up and run regardless, is pretty brainless for me, if its canelled its cancelled for medical and isolating reasons, folks should just do a long run at home.

OO - ive been doing tired lobg runs, hope it pays off. 22+18 double, 3min reps and 20m double, 12mp and 20m double. All consecutive days. Think ill do another double long run yet too.

Jools, CD - good to keep ticking the long runs off for now.

Menn - hope it comes good.

At least a lack of storms allowed some races today. CW had a solid day.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    LMH - My blind optimism, seeing that British bloody mindedness remains alive and strong and other pointers like y'days article in the Guardian, gist being organisers feel more risk from people running unofficial London marathon if its cancelled unless the situation is acute. Time will tell.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    My biggest surprise was the cancelling of the half marathon world champs in Poland - barely any reports of the virus there.  The authorities seem more concerned about people arriving from afar spreading the virus than the race itself.
    At Barcelona FC last night the football match attendance was around 77,000.  The marathon has only 15,000 runners (average) by comparison but has been postponed.  Where is the logic?  
    OO.. October entry to Barca should be fine, plenty of next week's runners won't be able to make the autumn date and they were taking late entries anyway.

Due credit for the long runs this weekend WTGYJools, OO, CD.  I really do hope London bucks the trend for all concerned, the signals are not good so far though.  
  • Options
    Wardi - local vs international travel I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    OO - I'm with you on the blind optimism, perhaps unless things in UK get to the point the government is recommending against mass gatherings in general, VLM will go ahead....if we turn into something close to Northern Italy!That said, chatting to a mate on the weekend who's a hospital senior manager, his virologist experts have told him to plan for peak admissions in mid-late April.
    Menn - fingers crossed it doesn't flare up any more.
    Jools - 33m, tough weekend with some speedy mileage there, well done.
    Ran the Surrey half yesterday, pretty happy to go 1:19:35, PB by about 80 sec.  Slightly annoyed it wasn't 1:18:xx but probably being hard on myself there, getting under the 80 is a pretty good life achievement. I held the same effort / pace all the way, so had quite a few overtake me in the last 5k as a result but that's what I had in the tank, and it got me there. It was also great to have people to run with all the way to keep me motivated, it's a popular race at 3K participants.
    Tiny bit annoyed the mile markers were well out early on though, which would have better helped my early pacing. Is it that hard to get them accurate? The nearest lamppost is fine, 1/4m+ is not IMO!

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Well raced TGO, I did similarly -- 1:19:14 in the Cambridge HM, which was a touch better than I feared given that it was quite windy and twisty in places. So nearly a minute quicker than the Brass Monkey in Jan, which had fast (if wet) conditions. Not quick enough for an MV50 prize though, I was only 6th in category.

I still think if the big worry is importing Covid-19 cases from abroad, then cancelling international entries to VLM could make sense -- the charity runners and spectators are largely UK people. But if domestic infection is the worry by then, that wouldn't make sense.
  • Options
    Nice one Charlie, great run and time! Little consolation but the winning V50 time in Surrey was 1:19:26, you should have joined me there! Lol.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Some cracking HM's posted over the weekend I note. Sorry to hear Barca got canned Wardi. Odd that the football went ahead as Barca do attract an international audience as well. I myself have flown in for a game in the past. 

PM has just said no plans to cancel sporting events at this time. Will be guided by experts etc. Said experts predict virus to spread in a significant way however :( 

In other news, doing some running at this end but all very low key and low volume. I am inclined to get out and do some which is encouraging. Current plan is to build fitness slowly and go again in the autumn. I imagine there might be a few options if a lot of the spring races fall by the way-side. Failing that, Abo might see a return from me. When do they open for entries - assume after the spring races?   

EDIT: 

Should have checked the website re: Abo

The next Abingdon Marathon is scheduled to take place on Sunday, 18th October 2020. Entry registration (online only) is scheduled to open early in March. A notice will appear here on this website announcing when registration is open in due course.
  • Options
    Well done TGO - great to get a PB.

Nice to see progress Charlie.

Running when you feel like it is fine sj. I expect a lot of autumn marathons will sell out quickly.

I can't see the government not being advised to cancel mass gatherings and I'm surprised the decision wasn't made today. To me the Expo must be the bigger contagion risk. I can't see why anyone would cancel until told they should though.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TGO - Congratulations on your new speedy PB, the new training plan is clearly working.
    CW - Another fast run, you still got it. 
    SJ - It could well be Autumn marathons for all of us, if the worst has passed by then! 
    VLM 2020 ?  If its on that would be great, if not then next time.   
  • Options
    Great running TGO and CW, some cracking times. How i'd love to be in the 1:1x:xx.

3.5 miles tonight in the rain and cold which was giving me brainfreeze. I didn't really want to go out and probably shouldn't have bothered but I can't squeeze a run in tomorrow. Mentally i've kind of checked out now. I'm not following any plan, I can't seem to run 2 days back to back and I think I just need to get my ITB right. I'm ok running but it then sets me back a few days. So I'll have a crack at Fleet and then take an extended period off.

If London is cancelled a qualifying time at Liverpool may well be in vain anyway if they just carry London places over to next year. I'll chat it through with the physio Wednesday. If I could get it right in 4 to 6 weeks I'd still have a little time to build up the fitness to Liverpool as a training run/day out.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TGO - good going there, dont beat yrself up over wanting to go quicker, it was compromised due to marathon build up.

CW - good improvement since January, plenty of time to sharpen up a bit more too.

SJ - good to see you doing a bit. I'll no doubt bag an abo number, its easily sold if not wanted. Ive been keeping an eye on the website.

15m in the pissing rain tonight.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Well in TGO - nice to get into the seventees.
    SJ - always good to keep your hand in.

Got my six miles easy in before the weather this morning. Coach has rejigged my programme and hes canned anything faster than 5.30s to give me a chance.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That was almost a virtual thread race TGO/Charlie, congrats to you both on sub 80.
    Your coach sounds far too sensible Menn;)
    TR.. you must be used to it by now!  Nice MLR on a school day.
    SJ.. good to see you are getting out again, autumn is going to be busy on here.
    R/Joe.. that sounds frustrating, It does sound like a few days downtime is needed to shift it.

London has a big international field so by the criteria of the other cancelled/postponed races it probably won't happen.  However there are a lot of positive noises around from Gov't & organisers so fingers crossed for all concerned. 

Weirdly I find myself in taper mode even though I have no race to run, funny how the marathon runner's brain goes into auto pilot.  :* I fly to Barcelona on Friday, at least my case should be a bit lighter without all the carb snacks & gels.  A bit of running kit will be going with me though. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - enjoy the break. Vlm is still 6ish wks away, no one wants to be seen to panic but i fully expect it to be cancelled.

Quick turnaround for 10m inc 15x3min today.

Abo is open, SJ looked a day too early.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Thank you for all the congrats :)
    @OO - definitely am loving the programme the coach has set me, but also put it down to keeping focus to do core, stretch, and stability work for at least an hour every evening.
    @TR - I'd really emptied the tank on that run so with a day's reflection, being able to say that is good enough for me.
    For Abo can you transfer your place to someone if you opt not to do it (e.g. if London does go ahead)? I think it could be a good one to enter today as a backup, it's in my neck of the woods and if London does get canned should attract some fast runners this year.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    TGO - That hour doing core, stretching and stability work is a real plus, something I must do, I maybe do the occasional 5-10 minutes though have started swimming (well yesterday) to help.
    TR - Good sess to do early-doors. Whats the expectation for Sunday.
    Wardi - Yes, it must feel strange.  Hopefully by the time we run Malaga all of this will be behind us, or new policies in place. 
    RJR - That sounds a good approach.  Get the half marathon done, rest and recover, get the ITB manageable and kick on in the spring-time. 

Trying to front-load the weeks mileage as racing on Sunday so a lunchtime 11 miles with a 5m tempo, 6.01-6.20 mm. averaging 6.15 felt good. This pace +5secs would be great for the half marathon as c1.22/1.23 would be a positive for the marathon in April. I've not run the hm course before but understand its scenic which we all know is code for undulating/ tough. Taunton marathon numbers creeping up, now 187.
    The jury is still out on London but I wonder if it will run as primarily a GB marathon, and 'somehow' minimise international runners, beyond the elites that is. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    TGO - you can sell Abo numbers, they run a waiting list. Im in.

OO - govt are delaying any panic measures, but that might put the kibosh on vlm even more.......with you that 1.22 or 3 would be good. Lasy yr i bombed at fleet with 1.25.4X, however i did 12/13 of a 1.26.XX last week on my own. Who knows, its difficult to perform over 1/2 during a mara build up. I did 1.22 on a similar course 4 weeks before Abo, so im trying to have a similar wk. 12m tomorrow then I'll ease back a bit.....north Dorset has ramped up to 172, theres a few in it i can chase after too, which will be helpful.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I see Cyprus/Paphos marathon is off now, that was my other option before I chose Barca!
  • Options
    I must have nudged them into action TR. Holding firm before applying for Abo as Manchester have confirmed they will reschedule for the autumn if they are forced to cancel because of Gov advice. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    4 weeks between them both would be good. Interesting that they are already announcing that.