Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I've just ordered running shoes.  Already lots of supplies are starting to be limited in SA.  This has impacted car parts for instance as the global supply chain depends on something from China in practically everything.  With their lockdown, production is hampered.  

In terms of good news, my fitness is improving.  I am now breaking the 6 minute per km barrier for some runs, which was not happening even last year.  Ankle still not fully healed, but good enough.

Irene athletic club are offering a virtual 48km event after the cancellation of their physical event.  It's a bit of a cheat as you can run the distance over 6 days
  • Options
    Saxons, Vikings and Normans is offering two of their challenge events as virtual runs - has to be done in one go, but any time to the end of April. You get medal and large bar of chocolate! I was supposed to do a 50-mile with them in the middle of April so might do one of the virtual runs as a 50K (which is the limit they have set).
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm losing focus, not run since the half on Sunday, Comrades ain't gonna happen, I just hope they don't do us the injustice of stealing our entry fee and not carrying us over to next year.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    The Minister of Sport (South Africa) has been found out

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I'm still training: even assuming no Comrades, I have NDW50 (rescheduled for 4th July at present), NDW100 (8th August), Chiltern Wonderland 50 (12 September), Autumn 100 (10 October), Halloween 100 (31 October), possibly Wendover Woods 50  - and a few 50K and challenge events (possibility of Viking 100 in May if that goes ahead but Comrades cancelled). So I'm continuing my coaching and will keep going unless I'm ill.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I was wondering why the Minister of Sport was being such an @$$hole towards Comrades! :D
  • Options
    2 Oceans isn’t returning entry fee, I guess Comrades would be the same.
  • Options
    Cheryl Winn - Chairperson of the Comrades Marathon Association👆🏻

Word on the street is likely postponed to September / October! No doubt will clash with now one of the many races already postponed to every weekend in September & October 
  • Options
    Exmoor just cancelled. New date September12th but I cancelled.

As you say Mark most things postponed to October.I think were all just going to run through the entire month :)
  • Options
    Won't October be too hot? I wasn't really looking forward to June temperatures! :o
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It will be a few degrees hotter, but I think its the humidity that will make it a challenge, in land, I am looking at a chart that says 40% June, 70% October. As you get towards the coast it eases off a bit, on a good day. One way of looking at this is the bragging rights if they do pitch it into ridiculous conditions and we still turn up for it. It'll probably cause a few dilemmas though if they decide to clash with these:-
    14th Sep Boston Marathon
    19th Sep Oslo Marathon
    20th Sep Buenos Aires/Moscow Marathons
    27th Sep Berlin Marathon
    4th Oct London Marathon
    11th Oct Chicago Marathon
    18th Oct Paris and Cape Town Marathons
    25th Oct Barcelona and Marine Corps Marathons

Even if they go for the 19th/20th Sept they'd still have Boston and Berlin either side, there are a lot of Majors collectors out there.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Snail: sympathies regarding CTS Exmoor. Why are you cancelling? Clash with something else?
    New email from Comrades:
    "In response to mounting uncertainty and concerns within the running fraternity, the Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has clarified its position on qualifying races in respect of COVID-19 and the cancellation of events, both locally and internationally.

The CMA would like to reassure our athletes that we are cognizant of the current status quo regarding the postponement and cancellation of qualifying races, as well as the ongoing uncertainty around upcoming races, both here in South Africa and around the world.

The CMA Board is reviewing the qualifying criteria specifically for #Comrades2020 and will make an announcement in due course regarding the revised qualifying criteria.

We would also like to remind our runners that the Substitution process, which is currently open, runs until 16 April 2020. So far, 371 successful Substitution applications have been processed and should the need arise, the CMA Board will also review the Substitution period.

Finally, with regard to the question of entry fees, we wish to assure Comrades runners that in the event of postponement or unlikely cancellation an announcement will be made of a policy that is in line with CMA’s commitment to putting our Runners First.

In the meantime keep well and a reminder that it is each and every one of our personal responsibility to protect ourselves and those around us by taking seriously and heeding all emergency directives and measures put in place by Government.

More details will be made available after 17 April 2020."

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Centurion will be re-opening SDW50 for its new date of 25 October. I have Centurion Autumn 100 on 10-11 October and SVN Halloween 100 stating on 31 October and I'm trying to persuade myself that entering SDW100 as well would be a bad idea!
  • Options
    Debra 
    when did you receive that email? I’ve not had that? 
  • Options
    Ive not had it either

Debra - I entered Exmoor as training for the 100 which is now (if it goes ahead, before that) and the possibility of Comrades being in September sealed the deal of me not doing it.

Lowrez - focus. You've still got a big run in August (maybe)
  • Options
    I got the email at 16:42 - they may be being sent in batches?
    That should have said 'SDW50' twice, not not 'SDW50' and then 'SWD100'.
    Snail: ah, that makes sense.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep, nice one I think "with regard to the question of entry fees, we wish to assure Comrades runners that in the event of postponement or unlikely cancellation an announcement will be made of a policy that is in line with CMA’s commitment to putting our Runners First."

Ahh Focus
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Here's the documentary on The World Marathon Challenge; 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days. Focus is mainly on the fast kids, I can spot myself very briefly in a few shots, but, the best place to see me is in the last few frames :)
  • Options
    Hey lowrez, you got the final shot! Thanks for linking to that.
  • Options
    Lowrez - Cool finish there. Well done again

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well, here's a dilemma, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott have postponed their Liverpool gig to clash with the rescheduled Barcelona marathon, now I am going to have to run Rotterdam or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome... The funnier side is I booked the original Liverpool gig not realising it clashed with the original London marathon date... and the new dates are not really a clash because Barcelona have given the 2021 marathon as an option - which I prefer anyway as London is relatively close to the re-scheduled Barcelona date this year. Wow, I have discovered one positive from covid-19 - or should I take a little time to think it over? 

• Options
    Debra/Baldstan - are you both down for the NDW50 which has now been postponed till July 4th. I originally wanted to enter this as training for the 100 but it sold out straight away. Wondering about whether to try again tomorrow or whether in the light of the current situation July 4th isn't too soon and it will be postponed again. A dilemma. I don't wish to continually throw money down the drain.

In other news.... McHilly - where are you? Did you make it back from Spain? Hope you did and all is ok
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Last time I saw McH she was on a bike! But I'll let her explain - she is safe SS.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry probably should have reported in earlier! Our alternative flight from Barcelona went ahead as planned, so we got home safely without needing to resort to our back up idea of a long Boris bike tour!  I’m hardly running at all at the moment, something isn’t right with my hip and walking/standing/running isn’t great after a while ( but not awful either) and sitting and cycling is fine.... am seeing physio and kinda of wanting to contact doc to see if I can get a referral for X-ray/scan to see what’s wrong.... but when I’m still going out cycling and doing gym classes, seems wrong to bother the NHS at this time!
    lowrez bike comment, is because I’ve just got myself some cycling rollers, just in case we get further restrictions on going out, and so I can join the gyms online spin classes...I could ride rollers fine when I was 15, not so confident now 50+, just need to be sure I don’t fall off and injure myself and be a burden on NHS
    The really good thing is the first time I’ve had an injury that has really limited my running, so timing is perfect, as no upcoming events (I’m assuming Comrades won’t happen in June) so a perfect opportunity to take a break and return stronger. 
    Keep safe, and keep fit everyone wherever you are!
  • Options
    Snail, yes, I'm entered for NDW50 and NDW100. I'm lucky that, for me, so far the rescheduled races don't clash with anything. It's difficult to know when races will start being held again. Traviss has set up some virtual races - you can enter any of four (so far) SVN races that he's had to cancel, run up to 50K, send him proof you did the run and he'll send you your medal and bar of chocolate. I might end up doing one of those next month. I'm just hoping that the social distancing restrictions don't reach the point where I'm doing it on the treadmill...
    McHilly: glad you got back safely. Sympathies for the hip and I hope the physio can sort that out for you.

• Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thank you McH. Welcome home.
    SS, I was doing SDW50 as prep for Comrades, but that one's now been moved back to October 25th, so if it does go ahead I guess there's even a chance it could clash with a rearranged Comrades. I was planning on volunteering on NDW50, when it was in May, but I'm starting to wonder whether even July is a bit optimistic. If it does go ahead I'll probably put myself forward to volunteer. It'll be nice to do something that feels familiar and to see other runners being able to enjoy a race again.
    Went out for a short run this morning, but following parkrun's advice, carefully avoided the local parkrun route.
  • Options
    McHilly - glad you're back safely  Sorry to hear about the ongoing problems though. Hopefully some enforced rest and physio will help.

Well I'm still continuing to train for the 100 in August. Theres no problems with running outside so I'll keep it up. Really not sure about the timing of the 50 so I don't think I'll bother to enter though I was disappointed to not get a space first time round.
  • Options
    baldstan: as a parkrun Event Director, thank you. And you can run a parkrun course as a Freedom Run (and log it on your profile, although it doesn't count towards the parkrun clubs) - any time except 9am on a Saturday morning! I went to Lloyd Park yesterday morning just in case someone hadn't seen their email/social media and didn't know the run was cancelled. Hung around for nearly an hour and saw quite a few regulars starting earlier, later, or e.g. running the course in reverse. The person who would have been tail walker said on our Facebook page that he didn't tail walk it until 11am.