Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Mowlez - thank you! That’s mighty close to being cut-off but just ahead of your time in 2018? Gosh, you really did cut it fine that year!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mlow Duck - that has got me laughing all over again - although coming down the motorway into the city that day, full pelt, the terror was unbelievable - 2016 was the closest shave - Becca reckons I am trying to accumulate the highest elapsed total for a green number ever, but I assure you; every time I stand on that start line I have a much loftier goal in mind - 2016 was the greatest year ever though, can't resist posting some results and pictures again!

11 seconds before cut-off at Drummond - and I don't know anyone else who comes anywhere near to a 22 minute negative split :D Love looking at how those category places keep tumbling as I keep the after burners on ploughing down the second half of the course. I was day dreaming in the first half that day, so lucky to stumble over the 6:10 warning sign, a mile out from the cut-off. I just couldn't believe what my watch was telling me... and be able to sprint that mile and get through the gap left by the cars closing down the cut-off.
    I was in absolute shock! Look at the spectators roaring for us stragglers to get through in time!

There is only one person in the above picture that makes all the ensuing cut-offs! Bloody show-off!

Had to get in - it was back-to-back year. See Johan next to me - 11:59:58 and he didn't get any flowers! See - its not all me, me, me - ha ha!

I better shut up and go and calculate some Martian times!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Seeing as I had to do some calculations I have brought us up to date. Dubai is in the club house! I'm closing in on the remainder of the field! And I always get a mega boost from Mields Mill! I bet Thomas is really worried as he struggles up Mowies Mill as must JAR be with Max breathing down his neck!

Debra had a colossal finish pipping LoveLifeRun and PeterR on the line (Mebra - my spreadsheet only works in whole number of miles so has treated you better than you calculated). I don't have a full 2 weeks worth of data for you Mark so your result is a hybrid of this week's data and your 4 week 11 minuter per mile average. Dubai, you must be pleased at cracking nine and a half hours! Still out on the course I am sure Thomas and Max are going to keep PeterDHM worried as to whether he has done enough to hold on to first place!  
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    To answer:

I've had an injury for a while that is resistant to anything I've tried.  Including physiology, total rest etc.  So I've decided I might as well run, give I have no races anytime planned, I don't really have to train hard, I can just run (or not run).  I'm only running on the AlterG treadmill - nothing else - will move off that if things are ok in a few weeks.  SO treadmill and Netflix - and I'm. having fun again.  Hey, 3 miles yesterday!

As for Comrades.  Insider knowledge.  My mouth is shut.  However, it matters not anymore.  SA health officials announced yesterday that they expect their peak infection rate will not be until September.  So, with that, I can only now conclude that cancellation is the only option.  My conclusion - no input from others.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Greetings All including all Martian racers,

Congratulations to Dubai on his amazing persistence for running swiming pool laps.

I'm down the farm doing my normal work, operating a farm and all the other things like being husband and dad.

'Training' is irregular and diverse, e.g. build a  livestock corral out of 40kg panels; move said corral; dig post hole, move steel poles, move hundreds of metres of electric fence, move feed bags, move concrete bags, mix concrete, smash old concrete, lift giant rocks into mercat holes, etc.  There has even been a small time for running.  I am running a small section of farm road that is dry, clear of grass and holeless.  It is probably about 350m long.

Lockdown here in SA will continue until the end of the month, but as cases are still on the rise here, I expect this would need to continue for months, although many people are already in severe financial trouble as there is no government support.  In this country there is more people going to be bankrupt than die from the virus IMHO.  

Isn't the announcement date of the Comrades board this Friday the 15th?  Personally I want them to choose  to delay to 11 October (11/10) as it has meaning in both binary and decimal.......  Seriously though I think it must be cancelled this year.   Although I can see it being rescheduled now and then cancelled closer to the rescheduled date. If it does go ahead this year it should be announced as 'fanless' and there should be starting changes so that the seeding groups go off every 5 or 10 minutes with mat-2-mat timing.

• Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree with Danirr and Bike it.  I've also seen the SA Govt official website that includes a forecast of a peak in about September. https://sacoronavirus.co.za/2020/04/13/sas-covid-19-epidemic-trends-next-steps/  The problem is only now starting to kick off!  I cannot see how they can successfully postpone it because I believe that would just keep everyone in suspense until a eventual cancellation a few months down the line.  I think we will now more likely see some sort of carry over of entry fees (or part thereof)  into 2021.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed they don't just steal our entry fees! They indicated that they would not in an earlier statement.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mike It and Merry48 I can convert your non running training efforts into miles on the ground, maybe a divisor of 2 for bike miles, think a different factor maybe for producing an equitable time effort. And for farming efforts I propose:-
    40kg panel = 2 miles @ 10 min per mile
    post hole = 5 miles @ 11 min per mile
    steel pole = 1 mile @ 7 min per mile
    100 metres of electric fence = 3 miles @ 9 min per mile
    feed or concrete bag x 2 = 1 mile @ 12 min per mile
    concrete mix = 4 miles @ 10 min per mile
    smashed load of old concrete = 6 miles @ 8 min per mile
    1 mere cat hole filled with 1 giant rock = 1 mile @ 9 min per mile
    multiples of the 350m of farm road you can report at the pace you run

Willing to negotiate on quantities and miles and pace if my initial pitches are off based on your perceived effort. Just give me the quantities of each completed and I will track you on the run :)

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Bike it, sounds like you’ve got a great cross training program! 
    Mowrez, if your factoring in bike miles, I could be back in the race! I actually went for a run yesterday, first time in 5 weeks, a bit like Dannir I’ve had an injury that didn’t seem to be responding to anything, and decided what the heck, let’s run anyway..... and felt surprisingly good. Now have the dilemma of do I use my 1 exercise outing for a run or a cycle! 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Will certainly find a way to include you and indeed Dannirr if we can work out a run multiplier if you are not doing that much or to recognise your bike miles or both in some weird calculation McH :) looks like the Strava groups are set to just recognise runs, and I don't want to adjust that or I suspect it will knacker up (that's a technical running term) the league tables. Good to hear your injury is not worsening with your recent exercise - my physio was explaining that, as long as you don't over do it, their approach has evolved over time from resting to keeping active during rehab, depending on the injury of course.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Mowrez, I’m happy to just watch the Mars reface progress and offer encouragement from the side lines whilst having a cool beer ( that was my most likely plan for June if it home ahead!)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OK Comrades; you are all back on the road competing for the appleades, I mean accolades, in the Fruitland Ultra. This year is a 56 mile (90km) down run from Pomegranitzburg to Durbanana. Already with just a few days of virtual racing commencing Monday this week the field is quite strung out. Futhern Snail is currently leading coming down Bo-feijoas Hill. Whilst a cluster of runners are battling out having conquered the highe-star point. Last week's conquerer of Mars, FeterHDM, looks like it took a lot out of him as he takes it easy coming down Peary Shortts. Good to see Fike It joining this week's fray! The board is a pretty cramped place so I haven't added in too many people that are not currently contributing to the forum or who do not have a good chance of completing the distance in training, but I can easily add them in if required.

Of course Mars is still to be concluded with a few runners out on the course. Plus if we get a high number of completions this week I can spin up another virtual world next week :)
  • Options
    Lowrez, you do realise you would probably do quite well being an Author, your imagination is something on another level! haha
  • Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    I need to get my running shoes on this week, I've not been very fruitful so far! 
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Great work Lowrez, really imaginative and fun.  Gives us all an incentive to get out there!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    loving this lowrez. It's a joy to look at this forum each day.....
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I just logged on here and it told me I had earned an ancient membership badge so I guess that others might have got this badge too.  I've been a bit quite of late, having had a couple of weeks of minimal running due to a left leg that was wonky in many ways, I think with a strained muscle somewhere, and this coincided with both the start of lockdown, a lot of work caused by that and a big work deadline.  I've been back into running in the last couple of weeks but of course keeping distances fairly short and my pace is slow so my Garmin is being rude about me. 

A local running group hit on the idea that we should all run a mile in our gardens and I did this but my garden is tiny and I don't think the Garmin was picking up all of the distance covered.  I wouldn't want to do more than a mile and I could probably run more easily in the house, thinking about it, so Kudos to Dubai for all those laps, although I suspect that running round the pool is nicer than running around my back yard with next door's dog barking and another neighbour yelling into Skype.

Sorry to hear of stubborn injuries, Dannir and McH.

I hope everyone is virus free.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - thank you. It’s really good fun!

Comrades announcement day tomorrow!
  • Options
    My coaching/training is definitely having an effect now. Progression run this evening, supposed to be 70 mins with the last 20 at tempo; I reached 6 miles at 49:30 so tried to go as fast as possible from there - reached 9 miles at 71 minutes and 1 or 2 seconds, and Strava gives me a new 5K PB of 22:22 - my parkrun PB from 2012 is 22:24.
  • Options
    So today is the day of reckoning........

Debra - well done on the running. Sounds like its all going in the right direction. Lets hope theres a run you can do to prove it!!

Marty - quite right about not doing too much and I have now backed off to my 4 days of running a week but still obviously training for the 100 miler

Bike it - sounds like some great if not very different trying going on there. I can't remember... do you also have another job as well as your farm?

Dannirr/Becca - hope the injuries improve soon
  • Options
    Comrades administration needs a good kick up the arse! They have had a month to come up with a bloody date!

COMRADES MARATHON 2020 POSTPONED - NEW DATE TO FOLLOW ONCE AGREED

Following the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on 9 April to extend the lockdown of the country by 14 days in order to slow down and manage the extent of the coronavirus, Athletics South Africa (ASA) has taken heed of the latest pronouncement and has aligned accordingly.

“In compliance, the suspension of all athletics activities is therefore also extended,” announced Aleck Skhosana, president of ASA, announced via a press statement.

“This will remain in place until is it deemed safe for us to resume by the national government. This affects all fixtures and programmes from 26 March until 30 April. We will review our position when the government issues new measures to be followed.

“As a responsible national federation, ASA accepts that the protection of all lives outweighs everything else. We also note that everyone is affected the same way by this law and this include athletes, coaches, event organisers, athletes’ representatives, administrators and communities. 

“As it stands, however, let us prioritise the safety and health of every person, so that we can all return to our athletics programmes once it is considered safe to do so. We urge everyone to join hands with the Government to fight this pandemic by obeying regulations of the lockdown.

“The Comrades Marathon is therefore postponed from 14 June to a suitable date that will be determined between ASA, KZN Athletics and the Comrades Marathon Association as soon as conditions around the management of the virus allow us to under the guidance of the Government.”

The decision to extend the postponement includes the following:

1. All schools athletics activities including the ASA National Primary Schools T&F Championships scheduled for Pietermaritzburg. The event will remain at the same venue on a new date

2. All clubs and provincial activities, including, Fun Runs, Parkruns, Road-Running, Cross Country, Trail Running and Track & Field events

3. All ASA championships including the ASA Twizza National U16 - U20 Track and Field Championships, the 2020 ASA Athletics Grand Prix Series and the 3Sixty Life & Sizwe Medical ASA Senior T&F + Combined Events

The chairperson of the Comrades Marathon Association, Cheryl Winn, said: “We welcome the announcement by ASA, which includes the postponement of the 2020 Comrades which had been scheduled for 14 June

• Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Yeh I was really hoping they would come back with a specific date today, so that's disappointing..  I guess they just can't reach agreement at the moment with all the uncertainty and don't want to be in the position of giving a date then being questioned every week if it's going to go ahead..
  • Options
    If the peak in SA is said to be in September then that damn curve ain't going to be flattened until end of the year, which will be too hot I guess. They did say they were going to mention news on substitutions and qualifying too on the 17th yet made no mention of it.........the wait continues.....dare to dream....

• Options
    Argh! That is so frustrating.  I really thought they would actually make a decision.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think Comrades committee would probably love to make a decision but their hands are tied because ASA and the SA Govt are higher up in that food-chain and are not going to make any decision in a hurry.

Ah well, time to cancel my Belaire booking before I forget.  
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I thought they would give a future date as well. However, i have just read in one of the forums, it was said that ASA basically "watered" down the statement. From that, i read into it perhaps Comrades were going to give a future date but ASA said they no. More political games going on i fear....

Terry - just cancelled my hotel!!!
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I love the new fruit marathon Lowrez.  There is scope for a time and motion study of farm labour and equivalence to running, but I think your estimates are surprising reasonable.

Yes Snail I have a full time job in technology.  We also have a farm since late last year - My wife is the CFO (Chief Farming Officer)  and I am the CIO (Chief Infrastructure Officer).  We did have 2 workers, let one go  back in Feb and the other prior to lockdown.  So we are doing all the farm operation ourselves currently and trying to develop the infrastructure too.  Our plan is to progressively move closer toward self sufficiency as well as farming production for income. 

Anyway this week I have learnt to milk a cow and we are taking about 2 litres per day from one cow who has a big calf.

I'm OK with the decision to postpone.  I'll just keep on with general fitness and get specific with the longer runs when things become clear.  However I suspect we will have a later cancelation of the race for 2020. 

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hmm... the previous statement to this had amongst it:-

"A reminder that we have promised to put an end to the uncertainty by 17 April." - They haven't.

"With regard to possible postponement, which would require ASA sanction, the CMA Board is of the view that the race cannot be staged later than 4 October 2020 owing to climatic conditions, failing which the 2020 Comrades Marathon will have to be cancelled." - So the ASA must have sanctioned a postponement then? But not a cancellation? In my opinion they will have to cancel given the other factors mentioned so far regarding the virus - so why haven't they - there is no reason not to and I refer to their first commitment above.

"With regard to the issue of entry fees, we wish to assure Comrades runners that in the event of postponement or unlikely cancellation, an announcement will be made of a policy that is in line with CMA’s commitment to always putting our Runners First." - Your money's safe! Where have I heard that before :D?

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It - so, if you have any farm work to supplement your running just let me know the quantities and I will factor them in. Likewise if anyone else would like other activities included. Hours slouching on a couch, hours playing Zelda, hours digging your garden, I'm sure we can come up with further conversion factors to supplement oridnary mileage :D
  • Options
    David Ross put a note on UK Comrades group that CMA were in a meeting this morning (guess another meeting) and to await further news and developments, I'm hoping that what you have said Lorez is answered from that meeting ASAP, the uncertainty is not good, but I can not see how it can go ahead before 4 Oct if they say peak in SA is in Sept. Worse the figures overnight from China leave a lot to be answered for, plus Prof at UCL saying we are not even at 25% of likely death toll, and that is only the correctly recorded ones.
    PS I have spent several hours in garden the last 10 days erecting spurs, new posts, and fencing and continue to paint so stick me down for a few 'questionable & honourable' miles...lol