Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Yep not until about half the population have had it. And the populations we travel between.

We may see local loosening of lockdown now they know what the first wave of infections tops out at in each region. Still, there will only be essential many to many person interactions permitted, similarly one to many, and travel restrictions. We may get to see people local to us one to one, except for those that are vulnerable who will be shielded until a vaccine arrives. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Hello all, hope everyone's fit and injuries are sodding off ?

I haven't been doing a great deal, a couple of short runs of 30-40 mins last week and a couple of bike rides of 1 hour and 2 hours.

Watched the 1981 London Marathon on the box yesterday pm and it made me think how time flies and things change so quickly.
  • Options

I haven't run since I got ill even though I've been okay for a week - got into habit of going for a 4 or 5 mile walk every day with Mrs Skinny which gave her a bit of company but used up my exercise allowance - going to try and run home from work each day this week to get me started again.

There will be a lot of very fit people after all this is over (like Lit with her 50 miles a week but no marathon to expend the fitness on) but one of them won't be me.

Cheers everyone.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've done nothing bar my physio exercises. Glutes, lower back, calf muscles in particular being strengthened well, however I have some concerns as I am still getting discomfort in area. I am definitely much stronger, for example 10 days ago when I started on calf raises/drops 13 was my limit. I am now doing 35 each side.

My worry is though I am doing everything I am advised then I get to the end of the process next week, go for a run and nothing at all has changed!

I enjoyed the mara coverage yesterday. 3 hour runners referred to as fun runners, the womens field referred to as girls, more depth in the race at 2.40 finishing time than 4.40, queueing to get across the finish, decent runners doing it in full cotton traksuits and rugby tops.

A lt has changed since then to make us fasted, well beyond bouncy nike trainers.

• Options
    I’m doing a core workout too DT with a lot of single leg balancing work, I’ve done some tentative running starting from last Thursday. 30 mins each day and ~1hr on Sunday. There’s been a massive drop in fitness and running coordination though. Oh well, plenty of time.

Good luck with the return to running Skinny. 

mace, sounds like you’re mixing it up well. have you started to track your fitness yet ?
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, I thought I'd pop in and say hello since I've actually been doing some proper running recently.

Although its a long time since I've posted I do have a nosey from time to time to see how everyone is getting on. There seems to be quite a few on the bench at the moment which I suppose could be considered good timing or bad timing depending on how you look at it. Skinny its really good to see you able to run again when you thought for so long it might not happen. Also good to see Lit hitting some big mileage again. Both Muddy and DT appear have knocked out some really impressive times in my absence. Sorry you are both struggling with injuries at the moment though.

As for me after having 7 months off running last year, I've found my mojo has suddenly returned. Lockdown has probably helped in this regard as the extra free time and desperation to leave the house has made training a more attractive option than it has been! 

I'm up to about 35 miles a week now and paces are starting to come down nicely. That's encouraging as at the start of the year I was probably as unfit as I've been in 10 years. It's funny I didn't realise how much I missed being capable of actually going out and running (moderately) quickly. It's a good feeling. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Mr V, good to see you back running. I noticed that you started popping up more on strava though wasn't sure if you were one of those that uploaded to strava when you could be arsed.

Muddy, good to hear you are moving again.

I had a consultation with a consultant yesterday, pretty interesting guy-

https://www.fmpa.co.uk/2019/01/14/dr-mark-gillett-appointed-medical-advisor-premier-league/

I am just concerned that whilst I am getting stronger elsewhere, my back still feels the same. We had a good chat and he feels he knows what the issue is and it isn't complex etc and i'll be fine when racing resumes, however he has to be able to examine me which he thinks will be allowed pretty soon. He was talking about injecting  nerve blocker or something in there to allow me to do certain things to build up etc.

So I just need to sit tight as he said and hold on for that appointment. He was clear though that it isn't a problem that would just go away with rest and it needs intervention.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, 

Mr V - good to see you back running and feeling fitter again. 

DT - sounds interesting, hopefully you'll be ab;e to get a face to face appointment soon. A couple of people I know work industries where close proximity people including physical contact is required (physio, health and beauty etc) and there seems to be contrasting views as to how soon they'll be able to return to work. 

Skinny - sounds like a sensible approach after being under the weather.

Muddy - sure you'll be back to full fitness with a bit of consistency. 

I've mainly been cycling the last couple of weeks with a couple of runs per week, like muddy I've felt really uncoordinated when running and that I'm not getting into a rhythm, sure that will change once I start running again more. 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, and welcome back Mr V! I'm actually not as fit as Skinny implies as I ended up taking pretty much a whole week off to let my hamstring recover. It seems fine now though. I've also been hula hooping in the back garden with my neighbour (separately in her garden). I'm quite jealous of people who find themselves with 'extra free time' for their running because I'm really busy with work, though there are also compensations to working from home, including significantly better food at lunchtime.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Welcome back V

DT - sounds promising 

muddy - good that you’re back running, will be back at the top in no time. I’m not doing any proper tracking as such, not used an HR monitor for yonks, just the garmin.

4M Monday and 4.5M today
  • Options
    Welcome back Mr V - it’s been nice weather for getting back into running until I’ve started again - ran home in the cold wind and drizzle tonight.

Good news on the hammy Lit and sounds like lots of us are finding other exercise to do other than running with hula hooping probably winning.

4,1.5,1.5 (it’s 1.5 miles to work unless I go the long way which is 4 miles).

i always used to do an extra loop to make the 4 up to 5 but since McFlooze gave me that counselling (or maybe Madbee) I’ve managed to run a few 4 miners without any post traumatic stress kicking in.

I do also have a really long way home which is 8 miles but I need to be up for that which I rarely am after a day at work.
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    DT, frustrating time for you but hopefully a 1 2 1 with the physio will be soon

Muddy great to see that you have managed a couple of runs 

Good to hear you are feeling better Skinny

Tommy a few of my running buddies have logged more bike miles than runs over the past weeks. It may change for a few days with the weather here.

Lit lucky if i can hula hoop for 5 secs, whats on the lunch menu?

Hi Mace & Mr V

Plodding away with runs over the past weeks.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Having written my running stats for the last 4 months on 1 sheet of a small notepad I’ve decided I need to up my game.

First run of the year was 22nd Jan after a long time off. I managed 1.6 miles in 16 minutes and was fooked !!! Monthly mileage since is Jan 10, Feb 36, Mar 20, Apr 27. That’s a pathetic average of about 5 miles per week.

5M this morning. A new journey at age 54 starts now ...

• Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    mace said:
    Having written my running stats for the last 4 months on 1 sheet of a small notepad I’ve decided I need to up my game.

First run of the year was 22nd Jan after a long time off. I managed 1.6 miles in 16 minutes and was fooked !!! Monthly mileage since is Jan 10, Feb 36, Mar 20, Apr 27. That’s a pathetic average of about 5 miles per week.

5M this morning. A new journey at age 54 starts now ...

Haha - if it wasn’t for February I might have mistaken them for the days you ran.

i did 8 this morning for a weekly total of 16.5 (from 5 runs) so tempted to try and squeeze another in tomorrow to get in the 20s. 
  • Options
    Finished the week with 5.5 at 7:15s today - not planned I just started behind someone so chased him till I’d caught and passed him and then he was running the exact same route so couldn’t slow down!

22 for the week - back in the saddle.
  • Options
    Hello Mr V, glad you're enjoying your running again.

You're getting out on the bike though Mace ?

Hope the hammy is holding up Lit.

Well done Skinny that sounds like a decent effort over 5 miles.

Nods to Tommy and Kevin. Any news DT ?

I managed 29 miles this week. Two biggest runs were 7 miles, I didn't pay much attention to paces though on one occasion I tried to run a fastish 5k (because it was cold and pissing it down) that felt around marathon effort and it came in at 22 mins  :#
  • Options
    mace said:

5M this morning. A new journey at age 54 starts now …

Right Mace - sounds like this new journey needs a bit of support and some regular updates.

So what's the goal for this week - 4 runs total 20 miles? Run every other day?
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    good stuff gents, eye watering paces which I don’t think I could hit on a 50m stride !!

Well I finished the week with 3.5 recovery at 9:30/M to make 17 for the week. 

Yep I reckon about 20, challenge accepted 😉, but got off to a shit start today with a duck egg ( work, tired, little bit windy ... the usual excuses ) so I’m up against it already !! 

muddy, I did a couple of bike rides but not sure it’ll be a regular thing.

Hi Kevin :smile:

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i went for a little run yesterday. 4 x 5 minutes easy off 1 minute. In the main i wanted to make sure that the stuff ive been doing last 4 weeks was working. It was much better than my last run. Still getting nerve interference through my mid glute but it was ok. 

Not heard from consultant further yet so assume we need lockdown to ease first. I'm going to try another similar sort of run tomorrow. Sometimes the act of running can move things about and get rid of irritations like that.

I saw earlier that Octobers scottish mara in Sterling has postponed to next May. it must only he a matter of no much time  before big ones pull. 

Good to see mace and Skinny push things out and Muddy back to it. 
  • Options
    DT, Good you could get back up and running. Fingers crossed. Wilmslow Half have pulled the autumn reschedule too, and that was one week before Manchester. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the nudge, skinny  ;)

6M for the fat kid .... in the wind !!
  • Options
    mace said:
    Thanks for the nudge, skinny  ;)

6M for the fat kid .... in the wind !!
    Up and running - well done fat boy. And you are ahead of me for this week.

4 yesterday and 1.5 this morning. (that's 4 days running on the trot!!)
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    You're ahead of me too, mace - I've not got round to running yet this week. I'll make sure I do 6.1 miles after work though. How's your puppy?
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Good to see everyone getting out over the past few days, just getting out a run without worrying about pace is a joy  :)

Managed 7 miles yesterday and 6 miles earlier today.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oops, I didn't go out yesterday after all (except to deliver shopping to neighbours). Mace is probably winning now even though I did 6.4 miles this morning. It was absolutely beautiful weather and (not for the first time) I felt very smug about living in the beautiful countryside and on the coast.

Well done Kevin! Not worrying about pace is my favourite kind of running and - I believe - probably better training anyway.
  • Options
    Well obviously Kevin is currently 'winning' of the declared mileages but I wonder if you managed the 0.5 miles you needed this morning Mace to nudge ahead of Lit.

I'm planning to try a mid week 8 tonight because it's beautiful weather but lots of things need to align for me to have time or it might just be a 4.

When is your Not Wedding Lit?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    It's meant to be at the end of August, but I think we will have to look into postponing it till next year. It's hard for people to plan their travel and accommodation not knowing if they can come or not, and we don't want to end up with a situation where we're going ahead but telling our older and more vulnerable guests that they can't come! Sadly (not-)wedding insurance doesn't tend to cover pandemics, so we are hoping we can keep but postpone all our suppliers and venue rather than having to start from scratch.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I had another go yesterday, 4 x 6 mins easy off a min. Felt fine at time but back has stiffened right up today.

I suspect until I can actually get to see someone, that sort of thing every few days will b the extent of my running.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    That's a shame DT.

That's a shame Lit. One of the amazing things about this pandemic has been discovering how many people are considered/consider themselves as vulnerable from a health perspective. Out of a total staff of over 250 we have over 10% at home due to their vulnerability (and none of them are over 70). 

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT, I guess 4x6 min easy off a minute means run 6 walk 1 ?

I am indeed beating Lit ( but not Kevin ) as I managed 4M this morning. I’d planned a route to do 5 but at 4 I didn’t fancy any more and walked the rest, so I guess a rest day tomorrow is sensible. As such I’d like to propose an end to our mileage competition, Lit, with me the winner 😂