Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Have to add the seg "bagging" was completely random and unintentional. Didn't even know one was there and came on a part of the route we were only on because I had taken a wrong turn! Even then no idea why I should show up 4 secs quicker than SG, as we were running pretty much side by side. Anyway will take what will probs be my one and only crown ever, but won't go seeking out any more :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's what we all say when we start out Pete :)

You'll be keenly seeking out Duck Cock Lane because you know there's a 0.4mile seg for the taking at 6min miling soon, mark my words!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Having lurked on and off for a long time, thought I’d take SG’s latest newcomer shout out as an opportunity. Hello 👋. Know a few from the P&D thread. Thoroughly enjoy SG’s segment bashing of late and reckon I might have been close to you at Wokingham this year, for the first half anyway. I fell victim to the 80 min pacer’s strategy of going hard for the first 8M. 5:55 pace start did feel punchy. 

Anyway, look forward to joining in the chat if that’s ok. 

Hill session this morning: 3 x 3 mins uphill (downhill recovery), 3 x 2, 3 x 1, 3 x 30s. Jelly legs after the final 2 min rep. 9M at 8:20 pace and 400m ascent. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome SQ, we do like a newbie who has the potential to be a regular.
    Even better if you're vaguely local - for the occasional race meet up :)

So glad to have got that Wokingham HM in for a few reasons - but who would have thought none of us would have raced by 5 months later!
    That day was so windy, it gives us all a slightly easier target to beat next time out! Hopefully
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Welcome SQ.

Just 12 x 400 today over the track, avoiding kids on bikes etc etc..Cocked up the recording again. 2pm so it was a bit hot.

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    welcome aboard SQ, where are you based?

Pete - I did look at the trace of your run and wonder if you'd got a bit lost!

10 for me this morning before it got hot, was the most beautiful morning and running conditions. 240 miles for July, modest but that's my highest ever July and shows that there are normally more interesting things to be done at this time of year! Aug will be a big down month for me though, couple of holidays planned and probably a decent time to take a bit of a breather as you never know we might all be 'sharpening' across Sep ready for races in October. Unlikely. 
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Bit warm wasn't it - I did about 8 I think.

I'm not really expecting to race this year tbh.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi SQ good to see you on here. I think I pretty much see you every year at Wokey in your distinctive purple vest, it really helps when people just wear the same thing to every race :-)

Nice to see Pete getting infected by SGs Strava wankery and a good excuse with the deliberate wrong turn, you must have hung back just before the segment on purpose and then come through just before the end, sneaky stuff ;-)

Just 12 x 400 sounds like plenty to me!

So I had a bit of soreness after yesterdays lunch plod but nothing major. GOt overtaken as well by a name I recognise from races and Strava leaderboards. I was saving my legs for the TT later that evening but I clearly still did too much and was dehydrated. First half of the TT went quite well but I was cramping up all the way back and wasn't able to really rinse myself. Still finished with a season's best of 21:31 but without the cramp I probably could have gone close to my 21:15 PB. 

Got out early for a few hills this morning and picked up a couple of KOMs. There was something spooky about one of them.

Yep of the 8 people that beat me last night, 5 of them got taken out in a vicious Strava revenge! 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Good old fun on the segments isn't it. At some stages it gets a bit political, and you start thinking, ohh I took xxx off yyy, maybe I'll avoid any more of his etc.

See if you've scrubbed up some seg wars!

I got up pre 7, knowing it was gonna be peak summer temps, but still managed to be out between 11 and 12.30 for maximum exposure to the 32 or so degrees. Not often I feel that dehydration feeling, even having quaffed a bottle of water just before.

6 segs attempted, 5 of them between 200-400m, and one of them just under half a mile.
    Mix of paces needed, three of them fairly reasonable, three of them needing beans.

The best two were 4.04 and 4.27 paces for a 200 and 400m pair in the same road. The latter was complicated by all sorts of obstructions, blind bends, narrow roads etc - so was glad to get that one especially.
    A local don owned both - so we'll see if he comes back at me :)

Also took one off a Marlow animal of a runner. But it was a soft one. Annoyingly it led right to another one, that was also very doable - but i managed to go off route at 88% (apparently!) of the route, dammit.

One i attempted and failed - 5th, was a 200m or so job that needed 4.31
    Well off, 4seconds slower, and 5.05 pace. No run up either as it starts right after a little stoney private residence, so 4.31 is some nice work from that kid, especially as it has some rough bits, and a few speed bumps.

Most enjoyable one was a romp down a half mile, 80feet drop, needing only to beat 5.40 :). Absolutely rufus brevitted that one.
    There's a few hill segs on that stretch, but as I'd barely dribbled up there at donkey balls pace, I certainly wasn't going to try any effort up!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Been a bit absorbed with work this week, so only been able to rad quickly and dash! Some cracking running going on by all though (and revenge cycling Reg!). Excellent tempo from SG and nice bit of sneakiness by Pete :smile:

A sesh in this heat is either impressive or mad Simon!

Absolutely astounded by Jools climbing as much as anything though! 21,000 feet in a week! That's nearly a whole BGR training week more than my biggest climbing week of 12,000ft! And still he keeps climbing!

Usual fare for me this week, but thinking of having an easier week next week as the legs feel a bit overtrained.

And welcome SQ. Stick around!  (purple vest rings a bell - I keep thinking of Borrowdale Fell Runners).

Evening run later is going to be toasty :smiley:
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome. Apologies for not exactly widening the field from middle aged white males.

Wool and SG, I’m based in Cheltenham, so see Jooligan at lots of races. I have though done Wokingham the last three years (1:19, 1:18, 1:22) after it came recommended by Reg and others. I did December’s LFotM 5k (17:53 or so) when on a course in London (got a few strange looks rocking into the tail end of lunch in a sweaty vest), where I think SC finished very high up.

Wool – agreed re a different July to usual. The lack of evening races and holidays has led to a bigger July than usual for me, 304M, although slower due to lots of buggy running.

Excellent strava payback, Reg.

4.04 pace is outrageous over any distance, SG.

6.5M easy buggy this morning at 9m/m.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi SQ. That slow buggy fare is doing you no harm at all.
    Nice cycling Reg.
    Cheers Bus.
    Insane time of day to be out SG let alone attempting to monster some segs - albeit short ones.

It was 27oC at 10:30am after I'd done my 12.5M to bring up 343M in July (+ 30M walked including 3 mountain hikes when I've jogged back down) & 2,178 for 2020
    Finally completed the Elevation Challenge on 75,781ft  B)  
    Hopefully enough to take the V50 cash prize :)
    Only 163rd on the Strava July Climbing Challenge though! Two of the top 10 are in a war of attrition to be crowned overall winner & I can vouch for the accuracy of their elevation data. Quite phenomenal.
    Gonna take an easy week of walking with a few shorter runs - nothing over 65 mins or recovery HR after a blast at (not)parkrun tomorrow. I predict a slow time for sure as my legs are toast  :D
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Certainly suited a lower key seg hunt rather than one of my marathon ones Jools.
    I can only imagine the world of pain Tuesday's tempo would have been :o 

Those are some insane hills, whatever time of year - just goes to show what is mad to some, is normal to others!

They still haven't officially sacked off the Murder Mile bizarrely. But as there's barely any racing going on, and Wales has a 30 people limit for anything, not sure what they're waiting on - as it's next Friday!!
    I suppose in some ways it's not a disaster to end my streak there - streaks simply invite you to have to turn up atsomething, or turnout when you probably shouldn't As seen from how miserable some of that London ever presents gang look, and the state they turn up in! :D

Decent turnouts at Wokingham SQ -  i was pleased just to turn up and complete last year's in honesty after missing the previous one ill.
    5hours of driving to and from Derby the day before for a wedding, combined with that high wind, having only raced at all ONCE in the previous 6months made for both a wonderful excuse locker, but also a dreadful set of conditions :)

Wool - not sure how 240 miles in just over 4 weeks is "humble". That's a very solid amount that I bet only a couple on here do more than!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work are leading the charge for getting races back on in someform

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/folkestoneHalf?fbclid=IwAR3n_dKeO-G9bKS3bN0c9NNBgtnaDIZuYGb5O3r-qYv4jwE29nCHsQkQZ_M

Folkeston 10k - 6th Sep, and Folkeston HM - 27th Sep the first proper races they've declared ON.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    NiceWork have also got the Rye Harbour 5k on the evening of Friday 11th September. I am told it is fast and flat. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice to see SQ, i ran a few laps of goodwood with SQ after Chichester 10k, he was good company and a nice guy.

Goid to see some folks keen to put races on, bit far for me. Ill stick to laps of goodwood depending upon what vlm and Brighton come up with.

P and D mp run here today 19m inc 13.1m effort (1.27.01 - first 3 and last 3 are undulating so were 6.50ish, flat miles were 6.30ish), tough run, long time to concentrate.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A 19 on its own isn't messing about, so no wonder 13 steady miles in there feels a test!

There is no surprise people who get through these marathon schedules tend to be in a heck of a shape!

A local events organiser this way, F3 are getting some of their races back on.
    A 6th September set of races at Dorney Lake (which I think is still actually completely shut to the end of August anyway!)

Usual drill, multiple race distances, high cost, non PO10, low quality fields, but for this climate, each runner sent off every 15 seconds.

The big issue compared to Nice Work's ranking on estimated time, is that F3 seem to set people off by bib number - which is fairly random.
    It basically guarantees that you have no idea at all if you've come in the prize positions.

I "think", although maybe others can correct me, that instead of using the marvellous full lap of Dorney Lake, they use one side only. There is an inner and outer loop there, so it's not as horrible as it sounds, but it's still pretty mad doing that, Especially for longer races.

No doubt it's a cost thing, but still would feel odd

However, maybe this is the exact time to give one ago, beggars can't be choosers!

£20 for 5k seems a bit cheeky though. But at least it's not 2hours away
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Welcome SQ; always nice to have a fresh take on matters. 

Insane climbing Jools; if races were like Joe and Reg's 'Everest' on the bike you would clean up :)

Talking of Reg; absolutely incredible times on those KoM segs; whatever SG thinks I'm pretty sure the big cycling segs round here are more regularly done and the standard a lot higher than the running ones. I see you were 1/15000 or so on one of them and that takes some doing to put it very mildly. I would be happy to be 7500th amongst that calibre of riders ;) Your 10m TT was hardly any less impressive; maybe 8th, but av almost 28 mph again another world to most cyclists.

Usual solid fare from Bus, TR and SG and good to hear from you Aley; hope you are well and your training going ok. 

Talking of pseudo 'races' SG (and can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to pay £20 for what amounts to a TT around Dorney) it was (not) parkrun day for me again today. Legs still felt a bit heavy as a result of trying to keep a respectable pace for SG on Thursday over 10 miles, so ok with a 19'20 today at Rushmoor. Prob lost about 15 secs too as I turned the corner onto the canal on the 2nd lap only to run straight into a cyclist coming the way. Luckily he stopped sharply and I got my hands out to stop by grabbing on his bars, but not exactly what you want mid run! Suppose that's the risk of running these parkrun courses flat out at a non parkrun event. Daughter back in the 24's despite the heat so she was very pleased with that too :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie - the events that can set up on a closed cct like Dorney or Goodwood are probably the ones to target.

Pete - good pace there. I had a similar meeting with a cyclist on corner the other week, ending up with us holding either sides of the handlebars. Not very socially distanced.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteM said:

Insane climbing Jools; if races were like Joe and Reg's 'Everest' on the bike you would clean up :)

Talking of Reg; absolutely incredible times on those KoM segs; whatever SG thinks I'm pretty sure the big cycling segs round here are more regularly done and the standard a lot higher than the running ones. I see you were 1/15000 or so on one of them and that takes some doing to put it very mildly. I would be happy to be 7500th amongst that calibre of riders ;) Your 10m TT was hardly any less impressive; maybe 8th, but av almost 28 mph again another world to most cyclists.

Surely you can't genuinely think that these piffling little cycle segs are higher quality than that seg you took in the forest on Thursday :D:D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteM said:

Usual solid fare from Bus, TR and SG and good to hear from you Aley; hope you are well and your training going ok. 

Talking of pseudo 'races' SG (and can't for the life of me see why anyone would want to pay £20 for what amounts to a TT around Dorney) it was (not) parkrun day for me again today. Legs still felt a bit heavy as a result of trying to keep a respectable pace for SG on Thursday over 10 miles, so ok with a 19'20 today at Rushmoor. Prob lost about 15 secs too as I turned the corner onto the canal on the 2nd lap only to run straight into a cyclist coming the way. Luckily he stopped sharply and I got my hands out to stop by grabbing on his bars, but not exactly what you want mid run! Suppose that's the risk of running these parkrun courses flat out at a non parkrun event. Daughter back in the 24's despite the heat so she was very pleased with that too :)
    I just wouldn't be able to boot out solo training 5 or 10ks at my race pace, so while these F3 events are a bit bootleg at the best of times, and even more so in covid days, the adrenaline and it being officially timed would be the next best thing I suppose.

I'd prefer to get something on PO10, to give that lonely Wokey half some company, but if I get desperate I'll consider one of these F3s. Could be interesting, having not been allowed to go on there for months!

Yesterday I was slowly trotting down a narrow footpath and emerged  just as someone was about to pass. At any sort of pace that could have been a right old smash.
    Luckily it was post my last effort and it was 32degrees really!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    Stevie - the events that can set up on a closed cct like Dorney or Goodwood are probably the ones to target.

Pete - good pace there. I had a similar meeting with a cyclist on corner the other week, ending up with us holding either sides of the handlebars. Not very socially distanced.
    Definitely. That Bedford one in October too.
    I think that is po10 too, even better, choice of distances etc.

I have previously considered doing wacky distance races like 15-16 milers as glorified training runs, but then decided it was a bit of a cost, faff, and drive to bother with.

However, I won't rule it out if there's an option for such a thing.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    That is a very decent HM effort TR were the wu/cd the usual 8:xx fare?
    Well done Pete. A full minute quicker than my outing at Forest of Dean (not)parkrun this morning.
    Looking forward to some easier running this week & walking up big mountains - off to Scotland shortly :)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Reg - just compared the 10M TT time to my tri days. That is very, very quick. Was thinking back to your Abingdon performance in 2017 - I was on a bit of a high from a 2:51 PB so didn’t quite clock your frustration with the 2:45:xx time. I think I congratulated you on the big PB, but get now why you must have been frustrated. Incredible effort, nonetheless. What mileage did you run in the build up the that? And do you think it was the underpass of doom that did it for you?
    Hi TR. Enjoyed Chichester with you last year. I can remember going off too fast and going basically backwards round the the last 3k on the motor circuit. Seemed to work though. Very strong field. Tidy MP effort from you today. 
    Jools I genuinely cannot comprehend 75700 ft in a month. My wife said I was soft for not having a go at Everesting in a month - I gently reminded her this might be a slight challenge with at least 5/7 runs a week being with buggy. 
    SG I reckon that Wokey performance was strong from you given injury and the wind. It really was horrendous. Remember when everyone was getting pissed off that some races were cancelled because it was a bit stormy? 

Good long run this morn: 15.3M, 387m ascent at 7:49 pace. One major hill and a fair bit of rolling, gates, faffing etc. Lovely mixed terrain route: road start, a few fields, then up the big climb onto the Cotswold escarpment before enjoying the views on the common and taking the steep road back home. Ran with one other mate and enjoyed a good chinwag. Tired from the off, so made my excuses up the massive hill. Looked on Strava after, to be nicely surprised by a PB up Aggs hill. Often the way. 
    With a standard buggy recovery tomorrow, it will be a fifth straight 70M+ week and I am determined to take a down week - definitely not my forte. However, I am doing an actual race (sort of) on Sunday 9th: the Wyedean Relay https://sites.google.com/site/roguerunsevents/home/our-events/wyedean-relay. Various legs around the Forest of Dean and surrounding area, run every 90 minutes. 30 in my wave and asked to line up in 5k speed. So theoretically no overtaking. Jools recced it yesterday and kindly sent me the GPX. Six people now have said it is critical to recce it - can’t see it happening! Hope to blag it on the day/get massively lost and pissed off. Anyway, will be good to do an event with club mates there (rocking the horrific purple vest for Reg’s sake 😆). 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point SQ - to think our biggest moan back then was very windy races!
    Certainly puts it into perspective when any sort of racing - and the rest of life being heavily affected is up in the air!

Illness rather than injury, but often that can be worse, as it just totally drains all fitness. That vertigo was something else - i can only explain it as being like a mix of the worst sickness you've ever had, fused with sheer delirium! Dreadful.

Had to convert the metres into feet, and that's over 1,250! That's a lot!
    70miles a week is very strong mileage to get in the habit of booting.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - is bedford motor cct too? The same folks as goodwood ? I can see me doing one of the goodwood days as a full and one as a 1/2, and hoping its not windy.

Jools - one of the warm up miles will have been 9.XX as its uphill, not quite so steep on way back but yes all 8:XX, i was super parched and towing an anchor in the wd.

SQ - chichester is even morr competitive now as its a masters qualifier and folks came from all over this year. Nice long run and weekly total. Hope the event happens.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Bedford sounds a similar set up. Multiple laps.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cheers Pete.

Ironically the only race I entered this year went ahead today. Cotswold classic, half Ironman distance. I had to defer it because I thought my wife would still be in the hospital. I would have reentered as agreed but this niggle in my lower leg has put a halt on my running.

Epic elevation Jools. To put it in context I have done some very hilly rides the last two weeks and I’ve only done a little over 20,000 ft! 7,000 today, over 80 miles and a bootleg SG style KOM on a local descent. I did get second place by 1 second on a much more popular one today, 6500 people on this one and it’s pretty treacherous!

Impressive long runs TR and SQ. SQ that Abo race I went off too quick, through halfway in a fraction under 1:20 and it was the last 3 miles or so when the wheels started to wobble. Training was really off the back of Ironman training so mileage was relatively low but with plenty of cycling and swimming.

F3 are scum but probably worth selling your soul if there’s nothing else on at the moment.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you mention treacherous segs Reg, as I've seen a couple of mad ones locally on the running side recently.

There's one in Marlow that guns down a fairly tight road, where cars park either side - that alone isn't great, but you can always sneak along the pavements I suppose.
    But it comes out at a crossroads, on a not exactly backstreet road, and goes across.

As it needs something tidy like low 5 pace, it'd be one hell of a risk to shoot across what is a very blind junction! Needless to say I took one look and rucked that off.

Saw one in Holmer Green that's a straight road, but looks to be a fairly fast road, and no footpath. Sometimes it's not worth it is it!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Was a bit surprised it felt so warm when I set off at 8.30 today. Unlike Friday where the numbers were sky high, the figures didn't seem to indicate anything any different to the rest of the summer this early. Odd.

Still did the planned route, which was a bit less polished than the recent trips to Marlow and back - a dodgy 1mile out and back, followed by 5miles to Beaconsfield.
    1mile out, 1mile back, then 1.5miles down to a country lane.

Here was where I planned some exploring shenanighans to start, there's a footpath past a cemetery that should lead to the thick of some woods, but having gone down there, 2 choices, one that potentially went a direction I didn't want, and one that did go the right direction.

Obvs took the latter, only for it to end about 200metres later and see me back on the same road, having achieved nothing but utterly slowing the pace down :D 
    Looking at the map now, the other path did go exactly where I wanted.

Mile down that road, then thought I'd mess about in the woods a bit. Again took the pace down off a cliff, but it's ok, and had a prowl around, with the odd direction change, before finally settling for following a random path round an undulating loop of the edge of a field :smiley:

Suddenly dawned on me I'd struggle to get back in 15, thinking it'd be 15.5, no biggie.

Back into proper roads, having seen a few miles of 740s, and while I wouldn't say it was a struggle as such, the heat and knackeration were certainly enough to make me have my usual "glad I'm not racing in this" feeling, fused with "how does anyone runs marathons and the long runs they need", to eventually traipse back for a 16 miler in 7.23.

Probably a 7.10-15 for 15 job if I'd stayed on the roads, which probably would have been the better plan in hindsight. :)

Even after quite a few waters I had a tinge of brown on pee number 1, though it merged back to straw colour within it - that was a first!
    Quickly back to normal after that! Probably need to keep a little eye on the longer runs if the there's a potential it may be cheeky conditions, or not spend as long peeing out the morning's drinks!