Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    John make sure you take extra vitamins as they will help.
    I always take extra fruit and vitamins on board when I start feeling shite.

I did a run this morning against a strong wind straight off the Irish sea and it nearly beat me but I had it behind me on the way back so I managed negative splits all the way home.

I'm going to have some beers tonight as I'm on a long weekend but the next run will be Saturday.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    A flying visit from me as dinner will probably be ready soon ..

Aquarius - sorry to her about you wasting time re that trail run and the loose dog. Margaret doesn't like artificial trees but doesn't seem to be in any rush to get a real one and I'm not pushing for one as I'm not too bothered either way. The decorations are down from the loft but they haven't moved either!

Damien - well done for persevering with your run in the face of a strong wind.

Still no running for me - but I think I may try on Mon or Tue. In the meantime, I played 18 holes of golf with Alan today. I beat him for a change - and because I was playing better, not because he was having a bad day. Four bogies (1 over par) and a par during my round meant I beat him by 3 strokes (and using the stableford scoring system, I won by 8 points). The ground was very waterlogged and muddy - so much so, poor old Alan fell over on the bank beside the 2nd green. No doubt when he got home his partner Diana will have laughed at the state of his trousers and coat and said "Oh, Alan - what have you been doing!!". Anyway, we had to carry our golf bags as they weren't allowing trolleys so it was no wonder when we were having a cup of tea after the golf we were both complaining our legs were tired.

The 'ladies' we used for our kitchen & dining room have been back today to decorate our conservatory. We decided to use the same light yellow as we used in the dining room and now, it looks like Spring has arrived in the conservatory. Margaret's son Ed will be over in the morning to help me move some of the conservatory furniture back in.
  • Options
    Hi all - thanks for the good wishes. I was very lucky and it was just a 24 hour bug, I did feel a bit drained thereafter but I got off light. I am taking extra Vitamin D these days as it seems a sensible thing to do.

I mentioned I was having an interview. This was late into the evening (finished at 22.00) and via Zoom. There were 5 people interviewing me so it as quite a palaver. But I did get the role. It was a rather oddly titled one: 'Independent Person' which involves implementing a code of conduct (standards) for councillors. Could be 'interesting'.
    Anyway, good to be wanted and not to cock up an interview.

Today 3 miles in 21.45. Really pleased with this as I was dodgy in the week and there was a bit of a breeze. One rather arresting sight: a young lady in front of me running in stockings and suspenders. This threw me a bit until I realised that she was wearing 'fancy dress' leggings (there was a charity event taking place). It was certainly an effective way of attracting attention!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - glad to hear it was just a 24hr bug. Mrs WM keeps us healthy by providing vitamin d plus glucosamine and omega-3 fish oil to have each day. Well done for passing the interview and getting the role. Well done too for your 3ml run. I can imagine what looked like a lady running in stockings and suspenders would catch most people's eye. Somewhere I have a photo of a guy who used to post on RW actually wearing stockings and suspenders for a charity race. I was planning to take part in a 'Naked 5k' this September (just your running shoes needed) but it got cancelled for obvious reasons. No stocking or suspenders evident in the photos I've seen of that but they do suggest that ladies might be more comfortable wearing their sports bra.

The conservatory looks like a conservatory again :) Ed arrived before lunch and we've put all the furniture back. The only outstanding jobs are to put the books back in the bookcase and to re-assemble the tv, small hi-fi unit and old video and blu-ray recorders. Now the spare room isn't full of stuff from the conservatory, I can look into putting up the folding table (which we mostly use outside or when we have large family gatherings) and see if it will work as a large desk for my laptop. I've been 'making do' with a small desk in my bedroom but it's a bit cramped and as we have the spare room space available, doesn't make any sense to not use it.
  • Options
    Good evening all,

WtnMel, sorry to hear that your knee is still preventing you from running, but pleased to see from Strava that you beat Alan at golf.
    Good that the lady decorators have been back to do your conservatory. I had to laugh at the thought of you at your small desk, as I had the image of Trump sat at his🤣

Aquarius, good to hear that you are still running 3 times a week, and hoping to increase to 4 shortly.
    I think the Flash Player has been uninstalled by previous updates, as I don't seem to have it now. I believe the BBC i Player was formerly operated by the Flash Player.
    A shame that you wasted £10 on a trail run that you will no longer be running.
    I hope your "cheap Christmas Tree", has proved to be a bargain!

Damien, well  done for the negative splits on your return back with a tail wind.

JB, glad to hear that you are feeling better now! I believe they are saying that vitamin D can help to prevent covid 19.
    Good news that you were successful in your zoom interview. I've been wondering whether these sort of interviews, as compared with face to face, are more, or less stressful. Sounds like a very responsible job!
    I'm not surprise that following a lady  that you thought was running in stockings and suspenders helped you to run quicker. I can remember some years ago, someone writing that they had been following who they thought was an attractive young lady wearing short shorts and having long blond hair; but at the finish was severely embarrassed to find that it was a long haired man with a beard🤣

I've nothing exciting to report. The usual walk to and from the supermarket early yesterday morning, and then a drive into the village for a haircut, and then to the newsagents to purchase next years calendar and diary.
    Today was my first forest 5k as a 75 year old, with Sarah and Mike.
  • Options
    JB: Glad to hear that you are back to full fitness, as evidenced by your 21:45 3 miler, albeit with a little extra incentive. Congrats on the interview and appointment. I believe that the same position may well be advertised soon in Liverpool.
    HS: So impressed that you describe a 5.3 run as 'recovery'....and after hill reps the day before. Inspiring.
    WtnMel: Hope your knee injury isn't cartilage related, which sometimes shows itself as pain in the back of the knee. I used to hate playing golf when the ground was water-logged, due to the number of golf balls I lost (plugged inches under the fairway and out of sight. 
    Aquarius: Great that you and Steve are continuing with the running. I hope that Steve is feeling the physical and mental benefits that come with it. Sounds like the trail run was a right old shambles. Not sure I'd be volunteering to have my hair cut after that.

Thinking of starting my 100K in a week challenge tomorrow. If I can get in a good long, slow session tomorrow morning and then a TM session in the evening, it should set me up for the week. 
  • Options
    RM, good luck with the 100K week. I think I once got near to that. I'm a chronic under-trainer running-wise, one of the reasons being that I don't really enjoy long runs. That reference to Liverpool reminded me of when I worked for Liverpool council during the Hatton years. It was just awful. (The Boys from the Blackstuff was like a documentary not a drama!) HS was there t the same time, I've just remembered.

HS, by way of contrast with urban Liverpool in those grim, far off times. I now picture you as living in rural bliss in the New Forest. I guess that (just about the only) downside is the traffic in the summer? 

Mel, busy as ever I see! It's funny you mention unused space as Mrs JB and I were on Rightmove this morning. Our current house is a bit big (it's by no means swanky) for the two of us and sometimes we think about moving. We never get past first base as I inevitably want something smaller and cheaper and she likes the space and also wants to move nearer the sea (which is horribly expensive). Her trump card is "so where will you put all your books, then?" and mine is "global warming isn't great if you are 400 yards from the beach!" So we end up with stalemate and staying put (which is fine as we like our road and house anyway!).

I've given my son my 32kg kettlebell. A sign of getting older!

• Options
    JB: Know what you mean re the long runs. Managed 19K this morning, which is the furthest run I've done for many a year. Normally, I do tend to switch off and day dream but, today, I was trying out a few ideas I'd seen on a YouTube video. The video analyses Kipchoge's running posture, gait, etc, and attempts to explain why this combination is so effective for him. I changed my arm swing, relaxed my shoulders and, from time to time, had a go at pushing off the floor more than I normally do. Anyway, it took my mind off the driving rain and cold wind. Wish I'd put my gloves on. Had to use both hands to turn the door key on my return. Still, only 81K to go.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - don't go comparing me to Trump or I shall have to issue an executive order! ;):) I have to say, the small desk (which I inherited from my son) was the only thing that would fit in the space available in my bedroom. But I'm writing this from the relative comfort of the spare room where I've moved the laptop/monitor onto a folding table 3 or 4 times the size of the small desk. Good to see you're keeping up the weight training with your walk to the shop and back. I am hoping my knee will be okay - I am taking it slowly before attempting to run again - the current plan is to have a little jog on Tue morning.

Redmist - I hope it isn't a cartilage problem re my knee. I know from previous problems with my ankle (the talo-fibular ligament) how long they take to recover. We had a few 'plugged' balls on Friday but with both of us looking, managed to find them each time. Good luck with that 100k challenge if you decide to start it (as I said before, rather you than me). One thing I've always concentrated on is keeping my shoulders relaxed - I see other runners out and about with their shoulders hunched and arms held high and think how tight their neck and shoulders must be.

JB - I'm not as busy as it might sound and there's always time to browse the internet or 'potter'. A 32Kg kettlebell!?

I've posted off most of my xmas cards but I ran out of stamps and still have a few left to write. I have a cunning plan to buy stamps at the Co-op rather than queue at the post office tomorrow morning - but what's the betting lots of other people will have the same idea? The other thing I must do this afternoon is purchase some vouchers for some of the family and pop some cheques in the post to others.

We've booked some tickets to visit Croome Court (NT) tomorrow morning (near Evesham). We may get a bit wet (showers of rain predicted) but it will be nice to get out in the fresh air for a change.

The other thing I must do this week is start on removing the fig tree which I pruned back a month or two ago. Mainly, because it's the garden waste bin collection this coming week and with no lawns being cut at the moment, the bin is completely empty at present.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Redmist, thanks, it was only a recovery as I ran it at an easy pace.
    Well done for todays 19k, a good start to the week. Running style is very important and should be relaxed. Many runners make the mistake of clenching their fists, which is stressful.  Hands should be relaxed, and arms helping to balance as they swing backwards and forwards. 

JB, yes I remember us discussing our times in Liverpool, when our paths may have crossed. There were the race riots in Toxteth and I remember listening to the radio broadcasting them. I was quite concerned as I was living in Old Swan which wasn't very far away.
    I suppose that I am lucky, living so close to the New Forest, but the tourists in the summer were a disgrace. Leaving litter everywhere, cars jamming up the forest roads, queuing up to get into the car parks, and when full to capacity, parking on the grass verges, ruining them. The ponies and cattle graze on the verges, but the ignorant visitors weren't bothered. Eventually all the car parking areas were closed off and toilets closed, in an attempt to deter the motorists, so once again they parked on the verges. Hundreds of parking tickets were issued, which didn't seem to deter them.

WtnMel, good to hear that you are still resting your knee, and I hope it will be ok, when you try a run on Tuesday.
    I've written and posted all my Christmas cards, and just have 3 to hand post to neighbours. I try to wait until they go out, so I don't have to chat if they come to the door. I'm extra cautious with this Covid virus because at my age, if I caught it, I would probably end up in hospital, and possibly never come out again😒 I bought all my stamps whilst shopping in Tesco, and have a spare book of 12 second class which will be handy when the prices go up.
    Hope you have a good day at Croome Court tomorrow, and that the rain holds off.
    Good luck with digging up the fig tree.

Todays 5 mile road run was meant to be a recovery run after yesterdays 5k, but I was feeling good, and each mile was quicker than the one before.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - it turns out Margaret has some Hermes parcels which need dropping off at the co-op (it's our local Hermes 'parcel shop') so I shall go and do that for her later and attempt to buy some stamps while I'm there. The post office is on the way back so 'Plan B' is to go and buy them there if the queue isn't too horrendous. But if it is, the stamps can always wait until tomorrow. I don't blame you being extra cautious re covid - there are too many people around at the moment who think now the vaccine has arrived, they can go back to normal and aren't taking any precautions. Yes, fingers crossed we stay dry at Croome Court. But just to be on the safe side, I've retrieved my waterproof trousers which got a bit spattered with mud at golf and have cleaned them up. I'll wear them today so that I stay dry if we do get caught in a shower. Well done re your recovery run that turned into a tempo run.
  • Options
    Dragged myself to the treadmill yesterday evening and managed another 6K. Was beginning to cramp up whilst lounging on the sofa and thought a short run might loosen-up the muscles. That worked last night but, this morning, I'm now paying the price. Now trying to plot a flat 13K run for this evening.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Redmist: 100k? My word, I am in awe of you. Very best wishes in your quest. I heard a good tip for keeping your shoulders and hands relaxed when running which is to imagine you are gently holding a crisp between your index finger and your thumb, and you must keep that crisp intact throughout your run. I’ve tried that from time to time when I’m getting tired and tensing up a bit, and it seems to work. Good luck with this evening’s 13k, I hope you manage to find somewhere that is relatively flat. I suppose (apart from pride) speed doesn’t matter in this challenge? If so, it might be an idea to take this evening’s run at an easy pace,  you still have quite a few Ks to run and you don’t want to have to bail out early with an overuse injury.

HS: We’ve got all our cards posted too, and hand delivered the ones for our neighbours. Like you I’m trying to keep my distance from people, the Covid rate for this area is going down at last, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it soared after Christmas. We aren’t planning a family Christmas this year, which will feel a bit odd, and sad, but for us a sensible decision in the circumstances. Regarding calendars, my youngest son always gets a calendar made for me. Each month shows a selection of photos which various family members have taken over the past 12 months. He’s done this for years and it’s the highlight of my Christmas to unwrap and view that calendar, but I don’t suppose there’ll be one this year as all our usual family events, holidays, runs etc have been put on hold. Even birthdays have been celebrated alone. Let’s hope 2021 will be different. 

WtnMel: It must be a relief to get your conservatory back to normal again, and to be able to put the folding table to better use. Alan must be getting a bit worried about your improved golf form, do you think that fall of his by the 2nd green was a diversionary tactic in an attempt to disrupt your game? ;)
    I hope you both enjoyed the outing to Croome Court today, and if you do venture out tomorrow morning I hope your knee won’t give you any problems.
    (Was there any particular reason for keeping that photo of a man in suspenders and stockings btw?) 

JB: Congratulations on your successful job interview, I hope that once you start on your new part time duties they won’t take up too much of your time, and that you will still have time for running and posting on here. It’s good to hear you have thrown off that bug, we take Vit D too, as well as a high strength Cod Liver Oil tablet. You can tell Mrs JB that another reason not to move to the coast is because of the flippin’ seagulls. When we lived on the NE coast they were a real nuisance. We had to have a wire cage erected over our chimney to stop them nesting on it, but that just meant they nested on houses that didn’t bother with the cages. The screeching calls from about 3am onwards often disrupted our sleep, and residents were sometimes attacked by the more vicious birds, particularly in the nesting season. A slightly less annoying issue was visitors. At all times of the year, but particularly in the summer months, visitors flocked to the area. As a result locals tended to avoid the seafront as it got really congested. Traffic was reduced to a crawl, parking rules went out the window, and loads of litter got left behind. I remember Steve would drive down to the sailing club and often couldn’t get parked anywhere near it, which is pretty annoying when you can’t access your own local amenities. Anyway, just think of the expense and upheaval of a move, not to mention the issues around Covid and viewings - best to stay put just now. :) (Says she who is still thinking of upping sticks and moving back to that seagull-infested coast which is overrun with visitors).

Our granddaughter’s self isolation ended last Friday, however Steve is now self isolating as he has a hospital appointment tomorrow. In order to attend the hospital he was told to take a Covid test on Saturday and then self islolate until his appointment. So we still won’t be back to normal (with our granddaughter being able to return) until tomorrow night. Also, because of the self isolation we won’t be running again until Thursday. 
    Incidentally our £19 bargain Christmas tree turned out to be just that - a real bargain. It just needed a couple of branches trimming to give it a perfect shape, and so far no needles have dropped.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Aquarius, I'm going to copy your advice on moving and stick it on my wife's pillow! We're only about 2 miles* from the sea already, anyway. The seagull population seems to be falling, although over the years they've been right pests and pretty aggressive. On the Covid issue there has been a pretty big uptick down here, although our town is one of the lowest in the area (and the country). For now. BTW my new role is very part-time.

RM, wow - your body is trying to tell you something. I think it can go one of 2 ways: either you'll adapt or it'll be a very uncomfortable week. Fingers crossed for the former.

Mel, how is the knee?

HS, very sensible to be so cautious.

Rest day for me. A bit stiff from upper body ('Tabata' style) workout yesterday.

*near enough to visit it at will; far enough to avid the hassle that visitors bring as so well described by HS and Aquarius.

• Options
    So, today I duly visited the prom. I did a 4 mile time trail, not a distance I usually do but it fitted in with the time available. Managed 30:27. This was about right - I was hoping for 30.00 but expecting 31:00. There was a stiff breeze on the 'back' leg which was not welcome. A WAVA of 71.95% which is pretty consistent with my 3 mile and 1.5 mile performances.
    As Mrs B might say, 'you're nothing if not predictable' which I'm sure she means as a compliment!
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

JB another good run from you today, I wish I had your pace. Great WAVA too. 
    I would call you consistent rather than predictable, and consistency is the sign of a good runner.

I’m typing this in the car, parked in the hospital car park (l wasn’t allowed to stay with Steve) and I’ve just noticed that my phone battery is nearly dead so I’ll have to finish this later. Hopefully we’ll only be here for a few hours as it’s getting a bit nippy. 

• Options
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel, the Government is under pressure now from the Leader of the Opposition, to reconsider relaxation of the Covid regulations over the Christmas period. I hope that they do reconsider, as otherwise we will be into phase 3 in January, and probably another very severe lockdown, all for the sake of a few days get together. It's pointless the Government saying to be careful etc. for after a few drinks many people will lose their inhibitions, and act as if everything was normal. 
    Hope you had a dry day at Croome Court, but if not, your waterproof trousers came to the rescue.
    Glad that your knee didn't cause any problems during this mornings run.

Redmist, I hope your "flat" 13k went well yesterday evening.

Aquarius, that's a good tip for keeping the hands relaxed whilst running. 
    If only everyone was sensible and considerate during this pandemic, numbers of sufferers and deaths would be much lower. I know we all want to be with our loved ones that we probably haven't seen for many months, but is it worth the risk, knowing that vaccines are being rolled out, and get togethers could be a reality in a few months.
    That Christmas calendar with family photos from your youngest son every year, sounds lovely, but a shame that this years won't be the same.
    Self isolation does seem to mess up everyone's plans, but a reduction to 10 days is welcome.
    I'm glad that your bargain Christmas Tree was a bargain🎄

JB, a good idea taking a rest day yesterday, our bodies do appreciate it, especially as we age.
    Well done for todays 4 mile run and maintaining a 70% + WAVA.

Yesterday was a very enjoyable social forest run with the Monday Gang.  The forest was "a sea of mud and water" after a night of very heavy rain. We ran a challenging 8.7 miles, with lots of zig zagging trying to avoid the deepest pools and muddy sections.
    Today was a rest day, except for the usual walk to and from the supermarket with 4 heavy shopping bags on the return, and a series of stretches etc.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Evening all,

Redmist - well done for dragging yourself onto the treadmill. Hope you can manage to work out a flat route for yourself for your run outside.

Aquarius - there's a lady I sometimes see who runs with her shoulders hunched up and who swings her arms from side to side a lot. It doesn't do her any harm - when we stopped to chat once and she was doing 10mls - but I always wonder if her neck & shoulders feel 'tight' afterwards. I think I'll need to beat Alan on a regular basis before he starts worrying too much. I keep that photo of the guy in stockings and suspenders because it always makes me chuckle when I stumble across it - a running friend of mine posted a photo of herself dressed in stockings, suspenders and a basque as she was off to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show and I kept a copy of that one too ;) I'd love to live closer to the coast but would be put off by the traffic/parking problems you mention so I think JB's solution (live close, but not ON the coast) is the way to go. Glad to hear your bargain xmas tree was okay when you unwrapped it. Sounds like you're just about coping with having to self-isolate but what a palaver to keep on top of the rules. I see from your later post you were waiting in the car for Steve - when I was waiting for Margaret last week I got cold after a while and had to start the engine and have the heater on to warm myself up.

JB - well done for getting out for your prom run and a good time despite the stiff breeze on the 2nd half.

HS - I think the idea of a relaxation of the rules over xmas would be a very bad idea .. so I expect that's exactly what the government will decide to do under pressure from their uppity MP's. We had a lovely 2ml walk at Croome (you'll see it on Strava) and it stayed sunny until we headed home. Well done for running in the forest despite the apparent mudfest. As I mentioned, the ground was very squishy at golf last week and the week before. It will be raining again tomorrow and probably showers on Friday so I expect we'll have a third week of traipsing on muddy ground again this week. I see you still did your world's strongest man walk back from the shops despite having run 9 miles the day before.

I managed to run 4mls this morning - it was trouble-free and my right knee didn't give me any problems. So hopefully that will be the end of the problems with my knee - fingers crossed anyway. The pace was immaterial - I was just happy to be back out running!

I had several 'chores' today. The utility room radiator hasn't been working lately - I tried bleeding it but it didn't need doing, so I suspect the reason it's not working is the thermostatic radiator valve is dodgy. I pumped up all the tyres on both our cars - most were okay-ish (within 5-10psi of what they should be) but Margaret's driver-side rear was down to 12psi (should be 35psi). I moved the round metal tray on the bird feeder - it was proving ideal for a pigeon to sit on near to the covered seed tray we recently added. I've swivelled it round to the other side - over to you Mr Pigeon. We were getting hardly any small birds visiting and thought we might need to move the feeder to the border, right next to some bushes. Then today, we had blue tits, chaffinches, a wren and a robin on it, so we'll leave it for now. Lastly, I started on digging up the fig tree. I've managed to dig around it down 6-9" but there's no sign of it working loose yet. I've removed all of the large 1-2" dia branches from the base but there's a number of smaller new branches have appeared so I'm hoping I'll be able to move it to the end of the garden so it can start afresh. 
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the support concerning what I now know to be a madcap idea. After the 25K on Sunday I was just too sore to go out again on Monday, but still managed a 10k on the treadmill in the evening. Today I felt a little better and, seeing the glorious weather, got out to do 13k, late morning. That takes me to 48k, leaving 52K over 4 days, or 13K a day. Sounds really doable, but my legs feel dead at the moment.
    WtnMel: I'm always envious of your garden exploits, as it sounds like you have something akin to Kew. I'd be very tempted to drill half a dozen holes in the fig tree and pour bleach down them. That should kill what's left and allow you to break it up easily in January. Great news that you are back running, without any knee pain.
    JB: Have to say I'm with WtnMel re the kettle bell....32K!!!. That's nearly as heavy as you are isn't it? Great 4 mile time. That's about the same as my 3 mile time.
    Aquarius: Many thanks for the tips. I certainly am running at a slower pace than usual, though not by choice. Really hope all went well with Alan's hospital visit. Wonder if they'll be able to see positive effects as a result of his running. I'm with you on the seagull front, or shitehawks, as we call them around here. How the hell can they be a protected species.
    Hillstrider: Another impressive forest run. I hate running in over-wet and muddy conditions, mostly because it takes ages to clean and dry my running shoes.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Redmist - well done for continuing with your 100k quest. We liked having the fig tree (my partner Margaret likes eating figs; myself, not so much) but it was getting too tall and wide for the border it is in. We have a patch of ground at the end of the garden where we have some rhubarb, gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes and some 'cultivated' brambles along the fence. But there's some space in the middle where we were planning to plant a new fig tree. But having seen the new growth on the existing one, I'm hopeful I might be able to cut all the existing branches down to ground level and 'save' it.

My right knee is a bit sore today but that is more to do with standing around in the border yesterday, swinging my pickaxe as I tried to excavate the fig tree - my shoulders and arms ache a bit too which is exactly what I expected. As you can imagine, after a 4ml run and the heavy-duty gardening yesterday, I slept well last night.

Margaret's car is being serviced today so we took it over to the garage earlier this morning. It needed a service but it also needs a new cambelt. We've just had 'the call' to say the battery is knackered too (due to the low mileage and all the stop/start short journeys). Margaret's car is 15yrs old and mine is 10yrs old - we're beginning to consider whether next year might be the time to buy a new car between us as our diaries rarely clash and we both need a car at the same time. And if so, whether to go electric or hybrid. So plenty of research needed - and some soul-searching too about the realities of not having our own transport. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, glad that you enjoyed your 2 mile walk at Croome.
    It must be very tricky playing golf on a muddy course. The ball surely can't roll very far, especially when lofted into the air. I would have thought that it would stop dead on landing, like in the sand of a bunker.
    I've been checking the pressure in the tyres each time I get the car out of the garage, as I'm not using it much these days. I also check the oil and washer reservoir. It's having it's MoT and annual service on Friday, and I've got some vouchers which will knock quite a lot off the costs. They collect and return the car when it's ready, which is good, as it saves me the hassle of driving it there and waiting until it's done. They also valet the car which is good. 
    I don't think that I have ever seen a wren in my garden, but do get magpies and sometimes crows. 
    Good luck digging up the fig tree. I'd never thought of anyone having one in their garden.
    Your right knee could still be sore from your digging, as you must be doing a lot of bending and stretching .
    I'm hoping to keep my existing car until I stop driving. It won't be many years away, and I could almost do without it now, as I've used it so seldom since the pandemic.

Redmist, best of luck with your 100k target. 13k a day for the remaining 4 days sounds tough, but doable, providing you remain injury free.
    I prefer off road running to road, as it is easier on the joints and there is the lovely scenery plus all the ponies, cows, donkeys etc. Free from pollution too, once away from the road.
    I dry my trail shoes by stuffing them with newspapers, which also helps to keep them in shape.

Today was a very challenging out and back structured workout. It was timed and each effort was outward at 10k pace, return at 5k pace. We did 60 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds,90 seconds, 30 seconds, 90 seconds. Recoveries were the same time as the efforts i.e 60 seconds at 10k pace, 60 seconds return at 5k pace, recovery 60 seconds.
  • Options
    RM, I've just popped back from Ladbrokes and put a substantial wager on you successfully hitting that 100Km target. But, please, not at the expense of getting crocked! Anyway: respect - even for having the intent.

Mel, had a giggle when I read your earlier post. I can just imagine your Margaret telling you to 'fix that bleeding radiator!' Clearly you need to keep an eye on that knee.......if that is anatomically possible!

HS, yet another tough workout for you. Have you ever thought of publishing them? I don't think I could have the discipline to do these, although perhaps peer pressure and support help.

Rest day for me, although I'm going to knock up 100 pull-ups. That 32kg kettlebell was simply too heavy. All I could do were one handed deadlifts.....hardly (to quote Mel) World's Strongest Man territory. (Which of course is on TV over Xmas.)

Today I visited my sister in beautiful (well not quite) Bognor. There is something very melancholic about a seaside resort in Winter. My sis loves it, though. 

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Redmist: Good to see you are still managing to continue with your 100k challenge, as you are half way through now and still have 4 days to do the remainder it’s looking good.
    Btw Steve’s hospital appointment wasn’t a heart related one, it was for an investigation, arranged following a recent routine screening test. We get the results in a couple of weeks so keeping fingers crossed. Actually he did receive a letter a couple of days ago advising he was finally getting a face to face appointment to discuss how his heart op last December went. The date of this new appointment is 3rd December 2021! That will be 2 years after the op - a bit different to the intended 3 month follow up check. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was cancelled again, this seems to be the norm. We get a letter with an appointment date, then shortly after get another one cancelling it due to Covid. Hopefully things will be back to normal by December 2021.
    Couldn’t agree more about the seagulls, really can’t see how they can still be a protected species as their numbers are certainly on the increase in the North East. Even where we now live, about 25 miles from the coast, we get quite a few of them. I blame landfill sites for enticing them inland to easy supplies of food.

WtnMel: Glad Croome Court was a success. I was about to say I was also  glad to see your knee seems back to normal, but then I saw your latest post. I hope the soreness is just due to that bout of gardening, you certainly are a glutton for punishment.
    Re car problems, we had a battery problem recently with the Land Rover, like Margaret it was due to inactivity and short journeys. We got a battery charger and that seemed to solve the problem, however just to spite us the dratted car threw another problem at us yesterday. We were about to set off for the hospital and as Steve drove forward off the drive he continued in a forward direction as the wheel wouldn’t turn. He reversed back onto the drive and tried the usual things to unlock the steering but to no avail. Fortunately we had the other car on the drive so used that. (N.B. Something to bear in mind if you do decide to go down to one car). We had used the LR the day before (on a short trip) to get fuel and prior to that on Saturday (longer trip) to go to Durham as Steve had to go to the Covid mobile testing unit there. We had no problems either time. Today we had the RAC out to look at it, the guy didn’t know what the problem was so he’s arranged for the car to be towed to the Land Rover garage tomorrow morning. He thinks it may be something to do with the electronic motor for the power assisted steering. As we weren’t RAC members we had to take out what they call pay-as-you-go membership based on the fact we had already broken down - which cost us £180, but this was cheaper than getting a local breakdown firm to collect the car and take it to the garage. I dread to think what LR will charge us to look at the car and repair it. They have a diagnostic fee of £85 just to look at it. Another consideration for you and Margaret, if you decide to share a car, is how often you will need to use it. One of our sons decided to get rid of their second car as he works from home and generally only used the car to drop his son off a nursery twice a week. He soon found various unexpected events/needs cropped up that necessitated the use of a car and although it wasn’t quite enough to justify the expense of running a second car it was still a great inconvenience. 

HS: I bet you all had wet feet after that forest run on Monday, but good fun all the same. Today’s out and backs sounded very challenging as you say, I think it helps though when you do a session like that in a group as it helps to motivate you. Good that you are still walking to and from the supermarket and carrying those heavy bags, a good way to combine strength work with the necessity of shopping.
    I’m not surprised to see the government haven’t the guts to admit it was a mistake to relax the rules for Christmas, even though various medical experts have serious concerns about a third wave. I read somewhere that Boris the buffoon says he models his leadership style on Winston Churchill’s, he obviously doesn’t know a lot about Churchill’s character. 

JB: You have a strange idea of rest days - 100 pull ups?  I agree with your sentiments on the melancholy of a seaside resort in winter, but on the positive side the locals are more likely to have the place to themselves on these dark wintery days.
  • Options
    WtnMel: We had the same debate about running two cars after our friendly mechanic advised that we are killing them both because we don't do sufficient mileage to keep the engines at there best. Ended up selling both and getting an SUV. Still only doing less that 10k a year. I wonder if electric motors work better on low mileage.
    Hillstrider: Agree that off-road running is far more enjoyable than pounding the pavements and easier on the joints. Been trying to develop a lighter step, as per the Kipchoge video I referred to earlier this week. It's a bit difficult to do that and develop a more forceful push off the floor. Your training routines are very sophisticated and obviously pay dividends. I wish that I could be so disciplined.
    JB: Your money could well be safe, subject to me falling at the last few fences. Managed another 13K today, taking me to 61K, so still on target. The last 1K was a real struggle though. Hoping for decent weather tomorrow and a 15K run, to break that back of the challenge. What odds did you get at Ladbrooks. Not sure that you've fully embraced the principle of a REST day.
    Aquarius: I wonder what seagull tastes like. Surely they would be more appetising than bat. If so we could export them to Chinese food markets. 

• Options
    RM, for goodness sake don't include fences on your challenge! The odds were worked out over the flat! Seriously, well done. Have you ever done this much distance in a single week before? (As I said, perhaps I got up to that distance once in 35+ years of fairly serious running.)  If not than an extra slap on the back - how good to be pushing oneself into your 60s. That's one of the reasons why I do some of these non-running challenges; just to show you can. 
    Thus when you and Aquarius make the perfectly reasonable point that my 'rest' days don't look much like rest, what I mean is a 'rest day' from running.  And yesterday ended up with 175 pull-ups.

Now today will be a silly one. A 3 mile run net uphill and quite steep at times. Aiming at sub 9mm; achieved 8.31 mm. And really knackered. But also trying to match my daily press-up record (1000). Will fail, I think (quite badly) but at least might sleep well tonight.

Covid update: we stay in tier 2, although parts of East Sussex to our east and Hampshire to our west are going into tier 3. Why or why were we promised an 'relaxed' Christmas so far from the date when data was imperfect and subject to change? This just raised expectations. So the new areas in tier 3 will have a few days and then it's the Xmas free for all. Goodness knows what the hospitals will look like in the new year. (The Thanksgiving issue in the States creates
    a terrible precedent?) I'm with Aquarius on this. Aquarius for PM? Just a thought!

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Afternoon all, not much happening here at the moment, except I seem to be going down with a cold. Also our LR Discovery Sport was towed away this morning for Land Rover to examine. Rather worryingly the guy who collected it told us he had been out to 15 such incidents involving 2015/16 Discovery Sports over the last 18 months. He said he was pretty sure the bolts on the steering column will have sheared off, apparently LR know about the issue but won’t recall the affected cars. We haven’t heard anything from the dealership yet, but if it is the bolts then because we are a few days out of our extended warranty we’ll have to pay for the work ourselves. I found a Discovery Sports owners forum and this problem was the first topic listed. There were 18 pages of posts from people who’d had the same problem and had been told to foot the bill themselves, although some people managed to get LR to do the work for free, and some were offered a discount on the bill. I can’t understand how LR can get away with it, this problem has been written about in the Daily Telegraph, raised on Watchdog at least once, and the Driver and Licensing Standards Agency have had many such cases reported to them. Unfortunately the DVSA can only recommend LR have a recall, they can’t enforce it. In Canada the cars were recalled and fixed, but no recall in the UK. I think the get-out for LR is that it is still technically possible to steer without power assisted steering, but with a 2 ton vehicle it is almost physically impossible. From what I can gather the problem is due to them having attached aluminium bolts to a steel frame, with the average cost of repair for this being £3,500. Trying to find a positive in all this, at least the steering failed while we were just starting to move off the drive, I can’t imagine what would have happened if we’d been driving at speed on the motorway (as some people on the forum had been).The icing on the cake came when, as the car was being attached to the recovery vehicle, a message was displayed on the dashboard advising the battery was low. So much for thinking we’d fixed that problem! 

Thanks for that vote of confidence JB, but I don’t have the right qualifications to be PM. For a start I’d hate to have to chair a lot of meetings, also I have no political acumen, nor do I have the ability to understand complex issues, or even want to make the effort to try to. I’ve no morals or scruples, I’m not above telling bare faced lies, or misleading people (her Maj included), I don’t understand or care for anyone outside my social class and couldn’t give a fig for any of our European allies. I’d sound a gibbering idiot when being interviewed and I’m pretty sure that if I tried to cross the Thames on a zip wire I’d get stuck half way. (Just a minute, now I think about it I’d be the ideal candidate - vote for me and I’ll make sure any future lucrative contracts come your way).
    Covid update - we are still in tier 3 (until I become PM that is)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - that's exactly what golf is like this time of year. The ball falls to the ground and promptly buries itself in the mud. Things only improve when the ground is frozen because at least then, the ball bounces along the fairway a bit. Fingers crossed for your MOT and car service on Fri and hope it isn't too expensive. I occasionally check my oil but tbh it hardly ever needs topping up, unlike the screen-wash reservoir. Wrens are notoriously shy so it's often said they'll be in your garden but you never actually see them. My right knee was okay this morning but I've been out doing more digging so I'll see what tomorrow brings. Well done re that structured workout which sounded quite tough.

JB - I'm usually the one who comes out with corny jokes about doing the bleeding radiator .. when my friend Alan and I get together (we're fans of Allo Allo and Airplane), Margaret and his partner Diana usually end up rolling their eyes at our 'jokes' (usually because they've heard them so many times before). I see your 'rest' days are like HS's .. a rest from running but some other type of exercise instead. Not sure I've ever been to Bognor .. it took me until last year to finally get to Brighton. I just checked and we're staying in tier 2 here in Gloucestershire. You were promised a 'relaxed' xmas because Boris loves to make promises he can't keep. But apparently, he claims he's still 'following the science'.

Aquarius - I don't quite believe that appointment date of 3rd Dec 2021 .. must be a typo surely? If it's any consolation, we get seagulls around here (deepest Gloucestershire and many miles from the coast). I wouldn't have bothered with the fig tree but as we pay for garden waste to be removed, it seemed daft not to try and fill the bin with some of the branches that I intended to saw off prior to trying to dig it up. I had used our battery charger on Margaret's car several times but it was obviously duff from all the short journeys. She probably needs me to occasionally use it when I drive to Swindon for golf. Margaret is insured to drive my car as well but it's 'fear of the unknown' that stops her. She also said she was worried of having any scrapes and scratching it - I said after 10 years and 160000 miles, that's the least of my worries. Sorry to hear about your car problems. Unfortunately, it sounds like it will be expensive. We'll definitely need to think long and hard about the logistics of whether we can go down to one car. We can probably make sure we arrange our diaries so we don't clash but it's not something to rush into. I believe Boris wrote a biography of Winston Churchill and I'm sure he thinks he channels his inner Churchill sometimes .. but it always comes across as if he's channelling his inner Benny Hill. That's a bugger that your LR is just out of warranty :( However, if it is sheared bolts that are the problem, it does sound like a letter might be in order pointing out the sheared bolts problem is a 'known' one and has been mentioned in various articles and by a govt agency. From that description, it sounds like you have all the qualities to be PM (the water lady rather than the iron lady?).

Redmist - I don't think we'll be going down the SUV route with any new car .. more than likely it will be a hatchback of some sort. Re running style .. I do try and keep on my forefoot rather than plodding along but it's so easy to lapse into a plodding style if you don't watch yourself all the time.

Fig-tree update .. I've been out again this afternoon and have managed to dig down a little further and begun to dig out under the root ball. I'm getting somewhere and it's beginning to shift in the ground but I'm not sure if one more session will do it or not. It looks like there's plenty of smaller roots so if it does come out, it will be worth planting at the end of the garden to se if it survives or not.

No golf tomorrow - Alan and I decided to be a pair of wusses and cancelled our booking because of the promised rain .. so we'll have a zoom chat instead. If I have time, I'll try and pop down the driving range for a practise session.

I've been doing a free online touch-typing course for the last week or so and have managed to get to lesson 39 (done the 'home row' of asdf & jkl; and am now starting on the 'top' row of qwer & uiop). Sounds good until I tell you there are 685 lessons in total 8-O
  • Options
    Good evening all,

JB, I do enjoy the workouts and attempting to keep up with the others in the speed work. It's very competitive and when I whinge about a sub standard performance, Sarah always resorts "Well, you are 75!"
    Your rest days from running sound much tougher than running days.
    That 3 mile uphill at 8.31 mm is very impressive, but attempting 1000 press-ups the same day is not "in the rule book!"😁
    The NF remains in tier 2, but Portsmouth and Havant have been raised to level 3.
    Our Donald Trump clone of a Prime Minister doesn't have the guts to call off the Christmas relaxations, preferring to put the blame on joe public for the inevitable phase 3 in the New Year, and the very strict lockdown that will follow.  He should resign as he has been an absolute failure as PM. 

Redmist, I agree that a forceful push off will certainly improve the pace. Caution must be used though when Coaches etc try to change a runners style from their natural. A case in point is one of our club runners who joined a course to improve his style, which resulted in a knee injury which took ages to clear up. He's now running better than ever, with his old style. Another example is Ian Botham who refused to change the way he held his bat. Good job he didn't, otherwise he might never have been a top England player.  
    I hope your 15k went well today?

Aquarius, it's dreadful that Steve will have to wait until 3rd December 2021 for an interview re his heart operation. I wouldn't be surprised though if it was postponed again, the way things are going.
    It's disgraceful that Land Rover won't accept responsibility for the inherent fault with the power assisted steering in their vehicles. It was lucky that as you said, you weren't speeding on the motorway.
    Your analysis of the PM's CV is spot on! He is definitely a chip off the old Trump block!
    Sorry to hear that you are starting a cold, and hope that you soon shake it off.

Nothing much to report except that I went to the supermarket today instead of tomorrow, as my car is having its MoT and annual service tomorrow. They will collect and return it to me. 
    I went for an easy pace 5.2 mile road run on my return. There was a very cold wind, and I wish that I had worn gloves. My hands were so cold that I had a job to unlace my trainers.
  • Options
    JB:  :) Even when I was doing marathons I didn't do more than 35 miles a week. I did get out this morning and struggled a lot to do 13K. No chance of my intended 15K. Think I'll have to break the last 26K into more manageable sessions (say, 4x7K). I'm with you 100% (or even 110%, as is the ridiculous norm these days) on pushing oneself, especially when someone declares I'm too old. This 100K thing is for no other reason than I wondered if I could. Was thinking of doing some kind of sponsorship, but it's not the right time to be asking folk for money, even if it is for a good cause. It was actually my current sporting hero, Kevin Sinfield, who gave me the challenge idea, after seeing him do his 7 marathons in 7 days for his good friend Rob Burrow. He is my idea of 'Sports Personality of the Year'.
    I might give the exercises another go next week, as I am now 10lbs lighter than I was this time last week. Could not contemplate the volumes that you achieve.
    Aquarius: Sorry to read about your LR problem. That is a truly outrageous response by LR to a known and potentially life threatening issue. They should not be allowed to get away with it.
    WtnMel: You are right about the ease with which one can drift quickly into a plod. When that occurs, a great deal of energy is wasted pushing your body up rather than forward, which is also why I'm try to lean forward slightly, not just from the waist up.
    Touch typing is an interesting skill to take up. Are you planning to write a novel or something similar. What's your words per minute level currently.
    Hillstrider: Good advice re the perils of attempting to change or improve a natural running style. Some years ago, I did injure myself doing just that, so I'll take it slow and make just very small changes.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Aquarius, your self portrait reminded me of someone, but I can't quite work out who. (I'm a bit slow on the uptake!) 

Mel, on the old jokes issue, one of the joys of my job (when I had it) was that every year a new crop of 'victims' of my humour were delivered to me, sometimes in very large batches. They were called 'students'. This meant that every year I could roll out the same old (limp) gags and get away with it (and paid for it). Even better, they worked out that they had to laugh (or pretend to) or they might find that their coursework grades were slipping!

HS, good luck with the MOT. (One of my pals phoned last night to report that his car had simply conked out and he had to push it to get it out of the way of traffic.)

RM, you have my full confidence to complete the 100k. (Although I suspect you'd be more motivated if I wrote that you didn't!) Losing that weight should help with the running and the body weight exercises. Unfortunately Christmas is coming........... My silly attempt to do the 1K press-ups after that run did indeed fail. I managed 500 and that was enough. Kevin Sinfield is a bit special. He's certainly not built for distance. As for Rob Burrow I admired him both in sickness and in health. As I'm a shorty myself I always warm to short players of just about any sport, but especially a contact one - and it doesn't come more contact than RL. I think we are as one of the 'challenges' issue and I'm trying to think of one as I type this.................(Mrs JB would say 'dig the allotment for more than 10 minutes'!)