Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Amazing, Reg.
    Well done Steve.

Well I've not had a good time. I was hoping to run yesterday but just didn't feel up to it, so I went out today. Should have been 8 miles with a couple at MP but I felt like absolute crap, so canned it at 4. Thought I might feel better as I went on. I did not. Head full of cotton wool and legs like lead. I can only assume this is the after effects of the shingles virus...the rash itself is healing. Either that or something else is trying to kick me while I'm down.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Cal.
    Quality week Reg. You’re almost there now - no racing down hills on your bike now please 😉
    Impressive reps there Steve. Looking great for Newport.
    I did a fartlek session yesterday: 4M wu; 3x1K & 2x500m all off 500m. Reps were 4:40/4:30/4:26 & 2:04/2:08 so 7:30 down to 6:40.
    Steasy 10M this morning so not really tapering yet but I’ll not be doing more than 13 Sunday if I get out at all - got a party Saturday night 😆
    Taper’s not so important anyway given I’ll not be ‘racing’ either Marathon now.
  • Options
    Steve - good paces on that session, easy street now on in.

Cal sorry you are feeling rough, the combined effects of the 1/2 you did a few days ago and the virus probably lingering.

Jools - I just don't have the stomach these days to run through lakes like that.  Steady 10 the day after the fartlek looks good.  Enjoy the party.

Reg - you've had a really good block, almost cotton wool time.  You joked about the incontinence pants but I've a race coming up where you're not allowed to leave no 2s behind, you have to use a Biffy Bag.  My crew aren't overly enamoured at the prospect of receiving a warm bag from me.

TR - hope you can find a solution to moving freely. As you say, in many ways more important than racing.  I had a conversation with a random at the train station the other day about vet drop off.  He spotted my race t shirt, don't know how he knew I was a vet !

I had an idea about a last 14@mp but a niggle convinced me the reward(negligible) wasn't worth the risk so it's been strictly P&D taper this week.  That said, I did the same session as Steve although 3x1609 metres 😛.  

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    You're in great shape Reg, no stunt man antics!

Steve - they were quick reps, you must be approaching 3hr fitness.

Cal - hope the taper brings better health

Jools - you still need a taper of sorts, 26m is a long way

Macca - M50s like you, keep me plugging away, in a "if he can do it, then......" kind of way

I had a freeing up by the physio on Tuesday whuch seemed to help get me moving better, might need the right side doing now too, as i did a much better 10m yday and the overriding feeling was a tight right hammy.......I got my December Goodwood 2.57 confimed as a 2024 GFA qualifier, but i still want to try to bag a spring 2023 mara, as i only managed one mara last yr, and Oct (Abo) is a long way off.
  • Options
    Red Lion April 2024 in my diary TR !!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    For sure TR but I reckon a week’s fine. It’s not like I’ve done enough mileage this campaign to warrant more.
    Agree with you on our M50 mutual motivation club. Long may it continue. 
    Sensible session Macca. How were the mile reps?
  • Options
    Jools - mile rep paces were similar to Steve's 😉 about 5:57 average, Top end speed isn't there but endurance feels it's there or thereabouts.  With a decent result already in the bag I'm prepared to roll the dice 😂 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're making me feel bad with my paces, guys. Both my runs this week were over 12 minute pace...and I was actually running, not walking. :lol:
    Today was a bit better though, thank god, even though yesterday my right hip/groin hurt all afternoon (they seem to be taking turns...typical taper nonsense).  I felt well enough to parkrun, especially as the weather is lovely. I'd agreed to meet my friend Tunde at Highbury Fields, which I've done before but he hasn't. It's a low stress one as the park is literally across the road from the tube, and it's fairly quick journey. 
    It's well known as one of the parkruns with the most laps (5 and a bit) and is on an incline. They'd changed it a bit from when I was last there (in 2018) so the start and finish were at the bottom and the extra bit was along the bottom rather than up the "hill". 
    I did a mile to warm up as usual but I didn't push myself too hard, just enough to give the legs a bit of a stretch without burning my lungs (I finished in 29:15). Around what I hope MP will be next week though that might be ambitious! :lol:
    Feel OK now so I've not overdone it.
    I'm hoping I can manage a few miles tomorrow morning but I'm volunteering at Tooting juniors so I'll have to get it done early, or put it off until Monday.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - thsts only 54 weeks away, tidy pace on the mile reps, you dont need to be running sub 6s in the upcoming marar, but 6:XXs will feel comfy compared.

Jools - just make sure you have a real easy 5 or 6 days before then.

Cal - hopefully you're tuning up nicely.

Seeing as i did a strong 10 on Weds, I did an easy 5 Thursday and 8m yday which i was moving ok on (didn't get out til afternoon and it was first T shirt run of the year)...........bit under the weather with a cold, but decided to try a longer run today, as I'd still like to run a spring mara, 8m easy, then pushed on a bit which felt better and did another 13 steady, for 21m. Great to be out in the lanes in  T shirt after all the wet and cold out there recently.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Decent pace then Macca. Does that comment mean you’ll be pushing for a SB then?
    Glad to hear of improvements Cal & TR
    Guess you’re not ready for Newport next Sunday though TR?
    500th parkrun for me today. Lovely day for it & as I’d chosen to do it at my home run there was plenty of support. Tired from an emotional few days away so didn’t have the heart to hurt myself. 22:22 for 13th place - hopefully no bad luck coming 😆
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, TR. The sunshine is definitely welcome.

Jools, I saw that on Strava - awesome! How long did that take? I've only been parkrunning since 2016 and am up to 210 so not even half of that.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play Jools, that's a lot (500 more than me), I like the 22:22.......no plans to go to Newport.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I usually do 10 the week before a marathon but what with me being poorly and also needing to be back in time to marshal junior parkrun, I figured 8 would be OK. Started increasing the pace a bit after half way and also found I had time for another mile so it ended up being 9 with a faster finish (MP...ish).
    Didn't feel too bad - a bit of an ache in the right glute but the groin was alright (however, groin was grumbling when I walked to juniors after - it seems way worse on walks than runs). Anyway, job done. One week to go.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - hope taper week feels reassuringly as bad as usual (which is a good sign).

Took a rare day off yday, as still a bit under the weather. Then 13m inc 15x3min in the pissing rain and wind today (always a good sign of being motivated), did it as an out and back, so the earlier reps were mostly into the wind and the later ones mostly wind assisted. Thought of tagging another mile or 2 on, but got pretty cold quickly when i cooled down a bit after the reps, due to the wind chill and being wet through. Was a bit light headed at times, hopefully just due to the lurgy, rather than more post CV issues.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Race week!

Good luck Macca on your Boston travels, I would think you will see the benefit of that Tokyo run coming through.  When do you travel out?
    Reg - Impressive Reading time, training looks fantastic. 
    Steve - Have a good taper to benefit from your really good training investment.
    Jooligan -  2 * 26m is a pretty hefty challenge, be really interested in how you do. Would like to do this one day.
    Cal - Good last run/ good luck. 

I've jumped ship and decided on Saturday to run the Newport marathon as for domestics (taking son to the football and rugby tournament) going to miss London. I enjoyed Newport in 2021 and luckily they have a late entry option and want to run as feel in pretty good shape after my 83.23 in Las Galletas, last week.  

5/3/23:Tokyo Macca ✅ 
    16/4/23: Manchester Jooligan (race), Cal, SQ?
    16/4/23: Newport SteveMac, OO (sub250)
    17/4/23: Boston Macca
    23/4/23: London Jooligan (enjoy), MaccaReg (Target TBC!)
    30/4/23: North Dorset Villages TR (womble round the countryside).
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice 15*3 min session and good news you have your 2024 GFA!
    Jools - Nice reps backed up with the 10 miler. Congrats on the 500 parkruns, that's a massive amount!
    Macca - Nice reps too, yes easy street now! Enjoy Boston!
    Cal - I wouldn't worry about paces, I'm normally shuffling about at 9-10 min/mile pace tbh! Nice parkrun, not sure I'd like 5 laps!
    OO - good luck at Newport!

Finished last week with a 13 miler on Saturday and 6 miles with strides on Sunday for a 43 mile week. Today was 7 miles with 2 at MP, those came out at 6:55/6:57, just ticking over from here.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cheers OO, London, Newport, pretty much the same thing  :D 

TR - Hopefully just he lurgy, good job getting it done.

500 parkruns Jools! Wowzers and there's me on 23!

In fact my 23rd was on Saturday, in the middle of an easy 11 miler. Just did enough to finish first in 18:08.

Did my final long run on Sunday, 18.6 miles @6:29  average which was a good return firmly in the middle of the GA zone. Having said that everyone in my house is ill and I have a slight sore throat, so yesterdays run showed an obvious increase in my HR. Fingers crossed this passes quickly as I had to run my last marathon whilst seeing off a cough and cold and on a very windy day. I'd like no caveats this time.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Reg - You have to run a lot quicker in Newport, otherwise the locals will have your shoes off you.   :D   Good last long run.  Good time to catch a sniffle.
    Steve - You too. Nice little 7 miler.  Yes, very easy for me too, as with 60m slightly overdid it last week as wasn't intending to run a marathon this. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Steve, I normally prefer single lap parkruns (I think most of us do) but I quite like Highbury. I think it's because the laps aren't very big so they go by quickly.
    Nice work on the 13.

Hope it doesn't turn into anything, Reg, or if it does, it doesn't inconvenience you too much. I'm still waiting to feel truly well myself.

Speaking of, I did run 5 miles today and nothing hurt too much, but I've still got that vertigo-type feeling (it's hard to describe, it's not light headedness or postural hypotension - it's more of a weird feeling when I move my head, particularly when I bend down). It's better when running, actually. I did have this before Christmas too and eventually it went so hoping it does the same in time for the weekend.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Started parkrunning in July 2011 so almost 12 years Cal but of course 15 months were wiped out with the pandemic. I’ve also turned up to parkrun on 4 occasions to find it cancelled: twice for icy courses but the other 2 were due to other events taking precedence so entirely avoidable with better planning.🤦🏻

Casual late entry OO. You’re in great shape so I’m sure you’ll go well after an easy week.
    I’ve done marathons on consecutive weekends 3 times previously. I’ve raced the first, plan to go out easy on the 2nd but feel good so go out too fast & regret it in the 2nd half 😆 Always a few minutes slower for the 2nd: 16 in 2016, 5 in 2022 & 34 in 2018 but that was Abo vs Snowdonia & only 5 days recovery between races.
    Glad to see the lurgy’s not affected you too badly Reg.

Got out for another 6 on Saturday as I guessed (correctly) I’d not get out Sunday. Took yesterday off too so I was helluva creaky today. Did 8M finishing w 2K@MP. HR was a bit too high even by my recent standards but it is what it is.
    Almost there.

• Options
    Reg, hope it blows through by D-Day.  Likewise Cal, hope you get over whatever it is.

Steve - I've got the 2@mp tomorrow, after that it just feels like all there is to do is pin a number on.

Jools - congrats on the 500, I think I started at a similar time but am stuck on 50.  Just got out of the habit with lockdown.  With a 2:56 in the bag I'd like to push on a bit for something closer to 2:50. 

TR - well done for getting out in the weather.  A couple of times I've been out recently in just a t and regretted no base or gloves.

OO - shame about London but run well in Newport.  An hour outside London I forget sometimes what a logistical pain it can be for anyone travelling.

As OO suggests, I feel like Tokyo provided a little training stimulus although I've got a slight stiffness in an abductor which may dictate how much I push Boston.  Flying out Friday and hoping to take in a baseball or basketball game as well as Arsenal on tv in a bar somewhere hopefully.  I've also a brewery tour booked so that all might impact on my target more than any strain.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    OO - I love the late entry

Reg - hope the lurgy soon buggers off you are in great shape

Jools - hope you feel a bit looser by Sunday

Cal - we have the same issues again, I get that esp after CV or colds, I can run round a corner and feel like ive gone straight on.

Macca - hope you go well. Celtics tickets would be tough to get hold off, baseball is a good afternoon out, Fenway is an iconic stadium. Not too many Samuel Adams (beforehand).

Yday beat me up a bit, im not feeling as healthy or as fit as id like at the mo. Anyway, i copped another soaking today for 11 hilly miles. There's nothing like running in the spring sunshine......and it was nothing like spring sunshine.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - There are a few shakeout runs planned by Mario of The Morning Shakeout (podcast/newsletter), if that's something of interest? Hope the 2 at MP goes well, but yes, just then putting on the number!
    TR - Nice 11 miler, yeah, with the temps we have had recently, feels more like winter than spring!

Anyway, yesterday was 5 miles with strides in the morning and 4 miles in the afternoon. Today was an easy 7 miles (120 bpm HR average). Short run on Saturday, then Sunday race!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done TR. And while it's miserable you get that too, thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in this.
    Good luck Steve!!!

I'm still not awesome. My last pre-marathon run is usually 4 miles with 2 at MP (last aside from parkrun, that is) but I didn't quite have that in me today so I just did a progressive 4 and only topped out at 10:05 for the last one. I guess that'll have to be enough.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your trip Macca. Good luck achieving your goal.
    Weather’s wearing thin for sure TR. Your dedication is admirable.
    Best of luck for Newport Steve. Looks like the wind is fading out just in time as those lanes are pretty exposed.
    Definitely not just you Cal.
    My legs still feel wooden & my back is tight to boot.
    Managed 5.8M though with 2x1K@ME off 500m & 2x1’@5K today. Paces were flattering as I was running slightly downhill for the Fartlek half of the run.
    Probably rest tomorrow although I’ll need to stretch the legs somehow.
  • Options
    Steve - thanks for the tip. I've got a B.A.A. 5k Sat am and then a run Sun to find a pub showing soccer should tied me over.  I saw a schedule of shake out runs and there's hundreds of them, I think the city throws itself into the marathon in a big way.

TR - hope your luck turns with the weather and aches.  Sounds like you know Boston.  I managed to get a Celtics ticket up in the rafters on Sat and a Red Sox ticket for the Sunday. I figured sitting down activities were good.  A dry week here so a couple of pints will probably knock me out.

Cal - IIRC you've had some decent LRs, hold onto those and run well Sun.

Jools - nice little sharpener there, I think we all need any help we can get.

As above, looking forward to a weekend of wall to wall sport, hopefully time for a quick run tomorrow am then it's off to Heathrow, which the Elizabeth Line makes getting to a doddle (touch wood).

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck Macca!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Hope you go well, Steve, cal, Jools and macca

Macca - my wife's brother used to live just west of Boston, so I've been twice (I never ran back then though). Enjoy yourself.

Ydays 10m had gales (storm Noa), rain, and hail, had sense of humour failure by the end. Was out early today for 5m inc 8 x 30sec strides, gadget said that I had a wind assisted few seconds at sub 6mm pace in a stride, hopefully a good sign. But then had a real sciatica pain in the arse (literally) in a car day trip.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good luck Macca, hope you enjoy the brewery, the Gunners win and you run a stormer.
    Best of luck too Cal and you too Steve, might catch you there. Let's DBS. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good luck to the following this weekend, hope you get what you deserve.

16/4/23: Manchester Jooligan (race), Cal, SQ?
    16/4/23: Newport SteveMac, OO (sub250)
    17/4/23: Boston Macca

I agree with the weather too, I have been pretty lucky to just get out when the weather has been at its best, or least worse. Just ticking off the taper runs now, today's recovery 6 felt like a waste of time, in that it was like going for a walk. I guess this is a good sign. Yesterday was 9 with 3 x 1 mile which came out more like HMP than 5k pace (5:30, 5:37, 5:42).