Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Have done the catch up on the comments, was just distracted with the latest two grandchildren (little Ari and Veer his 9 month old cousin).

Keep going all and we will all get there. I have also been busy with a couple of races  (see below) but have to say although pleased to have persevered with the mileage the speed is another matter - although was happy to come a couple of minutes under than the agreed target while pacing some friends. at the London Landmarks last Sunday.

Gipfel, can I interest you in our Summer Samosa race on 11 June by any chance.

Register at the link below if anyone is interested. 10km, 22km, marathon, Ultra or relay Ultra available.

https://www.evententry.co.uk/sikhs-in-the-city-summer-samosa-ultra

04/03 - 8.25
    05/03 - 11.09
    07/03 - 6.77
    08/03 - 6.73
    11/03 - 8.77
    12/03 - 13.78
    14/03 - 11.13
    15/03 - 8.25
    16/03 - 8.77
    18/03 - 8.34
    19/03 - 15.13 (London marathon Course Familiarisation Run)
    21/03 - 11.10
    23/03 - 15.02
    24/03 - 6.25
    25/03 - 8.45
    26/03 - 26.24 (Fauja Singh Birthday Challenge)
    29/03 - 6.77
    30/03 - 9.25
    01/04 - 8.74
    02/04 - 13.11 (London Landmarks Half)
    04/04 - 7.24

(210.41)

YTD = 579.57

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Being slightly boastful, I'm not to bad at pacing. Set of to run 8 in 68, passed that mark in 68.10. Did 8.3. 

Ytd: 359.7 (March 25.8)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie...'boastful' ? Not a bit...just celebrating!   Looks great!

Harmander... Good to have you popping in!  You've not been slacking then?!  Well done on the pacing!

Sadly, I'm still not running; troublesome foot doesn't give me any peace. About six years ago I had a similar problem with the other foot, and even got an x-ray to rule-out a fracture. (Needed to take 10 days out from running.)  This is the 6th day that I'm not running and I'm already wondering if MK marathon will be possible (May 1st) 

Enjoy the holiday wk-end!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Have you seen a physio, MrM2?

Terrible run today - meant to be 8 miles but had to can it at 4. I just feel rubbish.

YTD: 388
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope the foot is settling, MrM2!

And that you are feeling better, Cal. I am thinking of Phillip's Park a week tomorrow; if I do it will be a case of running round!

Some improvement post covid here, and almost felt like a runner today. But not quite. Have also got lower back and a shoulder issue: seeing a consultant friend next Thursday. 

YTD: 308
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    alehouse, I'm aiming to do Philips next weekend, albeit taking it easy as I know it involves a hill or two!

I felt a bit better today so I did parkrun (plus a mile to warm-up) - Highbury Fields which I did before in 2018 but is an easy journey, and one my friend hadn't done. It's 5 and a bit laps - one of the most "lappy" parkruns in the country, excluding the prison ones. But lovely weather and I enjoyed it. Pushed a little but not too much to finish in 29:15.

YTD: 392
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse... Thanks. Signs of improvement, but not ready to test it yet. Glad that you are feeling more like a runner. Hope your other issues get some helpful attention next week!

Cal...Great to see that you could put in a decent parkrun today! Hope things continue to improve.
    Hoping to see a Physio in the next few days.

Did a lot of walking today (down in Bournemouth again).
    Driving (yesterday) didn't upset the foot, and I've only had a couple of mild 'twinges' in the last two days.
    Will work the foot with a tennis ball, and do some ice treatment this evening. Next would be an easy walk/jog on grass, if everything is quiet.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed, MrM2. I find tennis balls a bit too soft - I use a hockey ball, which I acquired when working as a PE teacher. Golf balls are apparently even better as they're small and you can really get into the sore bits. Anyway, sure you'll figure it out.

9 today - pushed pace a little on the way home, though still not much under 10 minute pace. One week to go.

YTD: 401 :)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in to congratulate Cal on the 400' and also today's 9 miles. Try to hold it together for this week!!!

Just about to Google 'troublesome foot'; fine all day, yesterday, then discomfort first thing this morning. Since then I've 'enjoyed' an easy mile of walking, with MrsM (on her mobility scooter) in the sunshine!
    Forecast for the next few days looks a bit grim, but it's still nice to have the longer hours of daylight. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry...it's all about me again...
    Surprised to find that the Physio was open for business today (Easter Monday, Bank Holiday) and got booked in for 4pm. for an hour of 'treatment'. It will take a day or two to recover from that! He used a couple of needles as well (Not had that for quite a while.) The theory sounds good but still seems a bit 'fringe' to me.
    It has given me new hope that I might just make it to the start line at MK, in three weeks time.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: hopefully it all comes together for MK. A few weeks ago had my first ever trip to Milton Keynes. Strange place! I was watching football at stadium mk. 

Cal: only a few days to Manchster. Weather forcast looks decent enough. Hope you're feeling better and more ready for the event. 

Park run on Saturday and then 8 in 68 on Sunday morning. (8.3 by my front door!) 

Ytd: 371.1 (March 37.2)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - I was about to suggest the physio. Has he given you a diagnosis? Anyway, sounds hopeful.

Donnie - good job. My health's been up and down. Don't feel ill as such but I keep getting this spacey/heavy headed feeling (particularly when I bend down). I had this in November also and eventually it went so it's possibly some sort of post-viral thing, maybe? No idea, really.
    I did have a gentle 5 mile run today. Felt not so bad running. Felt not good after. I'm hoping I'll be fine by the weekend - lots of sleep and decent food, I think.

YTD: 406

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... '8 in 68' sounds spot on!

Cal... Sorry that your fitness level is still 'unstable' ; hope all goes well for the marathon.

So, last week, after a couple of days with foot pains, in various places, it all came together around the heel and arch, and it was fairly clear that this was Plantar Fasciitis! (I've had one previous case.)

The Physio worked on me for an hour; the full chain from back down to foot. Then the real treatment started! He was very matter-of-fact about it, telling me not to run for a couple of days. (I was beginning to feel that I might have to forget about running altogether.)

Doing lots of stretches, plus ice, plus 'hot and cold' and still not feeling really clear of discomforts. And running is still not on my 'to-do list' for today. Taking one day at a time, and not ready to rule out MK.

Winds are 50/60 mph today, so don't think I'm missing out at the moment!
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Cal: hope you;re ok for Manchester. Guess you might be travelling north tomorrow?

Mr MM: Reading and then re-reading your post, I think I detect a note of optimism. Hope the physio has worked some magic. Guess the next couple of runs will help with your decision about the MK marathon.

I'm feeling fairly positive about Manchester but with one exception 'footwear'! I've always just had one pair of running shoes, when they wear up I buy another. Never had multiple pairs on the go. My system isn't really a great one. The current ones are old and the new ones, to new, to untried, to risky.  I'm going with the old, but I've been a bit daft. I rookie mistake.

5.3 on Tuesday night making

Ytd: 376.4 (March 42.5)

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie...yes, will be arriving Friday evening.
    Unstable is one way to put it - I am still not tip top. Managed a 4 mile run today - usually I do 2 miles of this at MP, just before a marathon, but I didn't have that in me today. Not sure I'll be able to do a decent time on Sunday but I'll cross that bridge, etc.
    Donnie - are they exactly the same? Because I'd go with the new, if so.
    MrM2 - sorry to hear that, it's a sod to get rid of.

YTD: 410
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope all goes well this weekend, Cal and Donnie! And anyone else racing of course. 
    Cal, I'm sorry but I won't be at Phillips Park: spoke to a friend yesterday who has done it and he says it has some short sharp hills, both up and down...have just run this past the consultant that I saw about my back (and shoulder...yes I'm falling to bits) and he says Phillips Park would not be wise. He knows what he is talking about running-wise being both a very decent runner and also the medical officer for both the Manchester and London marathons! Is organising scans on lower back and one shoulder to hopefully there will be a way forward. 
    Running is generally rubbish still and I feel that six weeks or so on COVID is still affecting me. Unlikely to hit 100 miles this month. Falling behind! Hopefully better weather will be conducive to better running!

YTD: 325
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: safe journey. Hope Sunday goes well and a message for both of us, remember to enjoy it. 

Footwear: I'm currently walking around the house in my new trainers and thinking about a very gentle run tomorrow to help with breaking them in. Should also be able to wear them all day tomorrow which should help. 

They are identical to my old ones, asics nimbus. Having just done 5 miles back in the old ones, I'm edging towards the new ones. Bit of a dumb situation to get in to. Oh, and their a bright lemon colour. 

5.2 tonight, very steady. 

Ytd: 381.6 (March 47.7)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, alehouse, you have been in the wars! 

• Options
    alehouse I feel your pain, covid has wiped me out twice for around 10 weeks overall before I got back to running 'right'. Hope it gets better soon...

Interesting on footwear choices for Manchester. I'm going with my 'old' Alphafly which have close to 200k on them. They feel better now that when I first used them so some certainly need breaking in.

Donnie2 your predicament makes me feel better about having multiple pairs in rotation ! I think I'd always go with a shoe I've done at least one long run on. Risk of rubbing and knowing if they bring achy legs after a certain distance...

Carb loading at the moment and the amount they say you need is daft, I will need to cut back tomorrow or I'll end up starting the race feeling sick. 

YTD 897km / 557miles
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    First run this morning since my enforced lay off with a dodgy knee.
    After a 13 hour flight yesterday thought I needed to get the legs moving again and went for a 5 mile easy run, still recovering from scaling the 4095m Mt Kinabalu in Borneo on Monday.
    Knee felt ok so hopefully the rest and rehab exercises have had an effect.
    Will build up the mileage slowly and carry on with the exercises but not sure about hitting 1000 miles by Year End B :|

YTD 249.5 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC... Welcome back. Hope your knee gets back to normal very quickly.
    I've visited KK on a couple of occasions but never been to the mountain. Some friends did the climb but I seem to remember that they had to be part of a group.

Alehouse.. Sounds like you're in good hands. Hope that you have better news soon.

Envious of all the week-end marathon runners! Have a great time!

Donnie... I usually went through the motions of 'breaking-in' my Asics (Cumulus and Nimbus) but quite honestly they were always good-to-go. 

Cal...re-Plantar Fasciitis....how can something so straight forward be so difficult to sort out? Time off seems to range from weeks to years!!!  depending what you read. Cramming in all the stretches and exercises that I can safely manage, and hope to attempt a v.short run soon. If I'm going to turn up at MK I'll need to do a 'reverse taper'...not ideal.
    Don't over-do the parkrun; save it for the marathon!

Dangeroushamster...so many views on 'carb-loading'. It was always the standard routine. Now I hear about 'fat-loading'.....Have a great run!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I didn't overdo the parkrun...it was a hilly one actually! So over 30 minutes. 

YTD: 413
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: good luck for tomorrow. I think we're in the same wave. I'll be the idiot wearing, more or less, brand new, lemon coloured, asics trainers. 

Volunteered at parkrun this morning, collecting tokens from the runners post scanning. Enjoyed it. Obviously I'd volunteered to same myself for tomorrow (Manchester marathon in case no one has been paying attention) however to test the new trainers did 2.5 miles later on. 

Ytd: 384. 1(March 50.2)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal and Donnie....Well done on your parkruns this morning. All the best for tomorrow!

My v.short run happened last evening; just 2 miles with the first one being a walk/jog mix. Took the 2nd mile easy but steady and it came out at 10:07 with very little to remind me of the Plantar Fasciitis!?

Up early this morning to check over all the moving parts before deciding that I could give parkrun a go.
    So, Bournemouth parkrun, with official time 30:22. A very steady run and no pains. (Posn. 278/469)

The walk/jog there and back, plus parkrun, plus yesterday's 2 miles, means I have 8 miles to add.

YTD: 555' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's good news, MrM2.
    See you soon (maybe?) Donnie!
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    (I'd rather be marathon running...)
    Thought about a rest today but then decided to take a slightly longer run than yesterday. Mainly seafront but the prom hadn't been cleared of sand, making a 'steady' run almost impossible. However, happy to have 8 miles to add (although the first mile was mainly walking while I checked all the moving parts.)

YTD: 563' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mine didn't go so well...just didn't have any speed and got progressively slower. Could barely move my legs towards the end. 4:32... third worst marathon (the only two slower were the first one, which was a horror show, and one I did with an injury where I also walked on and off towards the end.
    Oh well...got it done, at least.

YTD: 439
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Well done on the marathon! Great determination when you knew all along that your preparation had been all over the place.   Recover well and onwards and upwards...

Seems I might have mis-judged my readiness for yesterday's longer run. (Do we ever know?)

The foot is reminding me that it is very old...and things take time! So, a few little 'aches' but no sharp pains this morning. 

MK is not a 'must do' event but I'd very much like to give it a try. 'Rest' and 'Run' are still fighting each other but today will have to be a rest day! 

Hoping that things have gone well for the other marathon runners.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Cal: a marathon is always a bit of a slog with ups and down. Its another one done, and perhaps not the exact outcome you wanted but nevertheless, you should take some satisfaction.  

Mr MM: you're probably the most experienced in the group, so I'm sure you'll make the right decision about the MK marathon, but its sounds as if you're edging towards running it?

My Manchester was good enough for me, I was happy. Round in 3 hrs 57 with a start target of breaking 4 hrs. Run at an even pace - 1st half 1hr 58.30 and second 1 hr 58.50. Felt ok at the end. I enjoyed the event and I will be back although the finish area in the cricket ground car park seemed a bit grim and if you're driving, parking is tricky other than the limited, and quickly sold out, places in the official Manchester Utd car parks. I liked the course and thought the on course support, especially in Chorlton and Altrincham, was good.  

I didn't follow a training plan, however I retrospectively looked at Hanson based on comments on here. My longest run was 18 miles but I was able to run frequently. For people in a similar position its worth looking at. I didn't run every run 'hard' but most nights when I'm out I do push myself.

Ytd: 410. 3(March 76.4)

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Got to pop in to congratulate Donnie on a well-executed sub-4 marathon! You'll not find many marathon runners with such even pacing! Well done!  (Congratulations on passing 400'!)