Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehouse
    hope the Foxes result last night cheered you up?

WP
    I am not getting ahead of myself - and the weights are very light so far, only 10kg dumbbells in each hand for arm, chest and shoulders.

I was doing a standard plank (easy for me ) and thought - "do some presse ups after this" with fairly disastrous results! That sort of upper body strength just slips away....

Dave
    so maintaining,at the very least, your performance level over a year which is very good news despite just recovering from a lurgy and another year to fight off.

Those bends inevitably lose quite a bit of time so sub 45min is still on with longer straight bits:)

Haven't seen NZD for a bit and Mick needs to drop in to tell us how he is coming on
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Cross post with Birch earlier: sounds decent enough! 

And yes, I was cheered by The Foxes yesterday,  TS! Currently watching the cricket version v Hants!
    I've restarted my efforts with planks from September 1st but can't convert them into press ups too well any more.

Seems weeks since we have seen NZD.

Edit: I have been sitting around so much that my Garmin body battery says 100%; Garmin has no idea how rough I feel!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the absence!  Overseas work visitors the last four days, the last three of them here in my home office.  A great deal of work and home preparation required.  The latter not just a major tidy up of my office but whole house and garden spring clean (much of it by OH)!  Then full on work / dining / ... over the four days.  They are currently on a weekend tourist excursion in the central NI but I will join with them again this evening for two days of meetings in Wellington (Mon & Tue) before they head off to a conference or two in Australia.  Unfortunately, partway through the prep OH got a cold that turned into several weeks of bronchitis (asthmatic), then my frail MIL (lives alone, nearby) had fall.  Spent a few days in hospital but discharged before able to manage herself so for the last couple of weeks and counting is bedded down in our lounge (no spare bedroom downstairs), requiring full-time attention - including while visitors here.  So a very hectic last few weeks for everyone in the house.

Result of all that being (referring back to an earlier Ale, question), yes, I have been very consistent  ... but alas with a string of '0's for the last few weeks :(.  I did make it out for a cautious run around the estuary yesterday morning; 8.3km @ 6:14.  First run in 19 days!  Unfortunately the next few unlikely to be much better.  Still have to prepare for trip down to Wellington this evening.  The day after I get back, I have a couple of dental implants, followed by prep for a work trip to Japan for about a week from the 30th ...

Have some urgent gardening this afternoon - two new fruit trees to plant (peach and apple - Fathers' day presents!), as well as trip prep, so very brief comments. 

TS: Very nice pics.  The pine pic almost looks as though it could have been taken here - except ours are somewhat scraggly.  Plus good to hear Mrs TS is improving, and your knee. 
    WP: also good to hear you seem largely over the covid and your stats back to near normal
    Ale: Seem to recall you had one or two very good sessions so the tummy(?) bug will be frustrating.  Hope it passes soon.
    Dave: Very belated birthday wishes.  Less than a year now until next parkrun age group!  Very impressed by your mile reps from a week or two back. Very good parkrun result also.  All the best for your 10k.

Will keep a watch but likely intermittent posting over the next month or so. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture I took in New Zealand one time. It's the scene which greets me when I turn the computer on.

🙂

• Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    NZD
    sounds very hectic - I have has some of your house cleaning/nursing/dental duties etc but not with foreign visitors in the mix as well :)!!

Although a steady stream of visitors to Mrs TS means that I have to break off work, make drinks, get out cakes and biscuits etc, chat for a while which all takes up  time and then I find I am too tired at night to go back to work so slowly slipping behind....

Maybe you will get to run in Japan - that will throw Garmin out!!

RicF
    really fine photo - however seeing it each day does ot not make you wish to be back there a little bit more ?

Here's a bit more accessible one, Ullswater,  where I hope to take Mrs TS in  few weeks time for an autumn break  sathe hotel has nice, level grounds - all being well.
    I have rather more photos of it in hues like yours than this one!

Misty morning here - dank misty not nice misty!

The first chestnuts are falling off the trees, splitting open on the pavements to expose the shiny conkers inside.

After 5 min walk I ventured into 1min jog/1min walk for 20 min along familiar paths, however made sure I walked down the steep hill.
    Might have touched 11m/m pace at one stage :)

Some reaction now in the knee but not too bad

• Options
    wordle in four today
  • Options
    NZD: You are having a lot of stress at the moment I hope it eases for you soon!

Ric That photo makes me want to go back to NZ but sadly with Oh health not an option.

TS Wowser a little run -yay so nice to see a run from you;-) I am sure Mrs TS will appreciate the break also yourself;-)
    Beautiful photo we have so much beauty in our country.

I slept in on purpose due to thunderstorm but could see dry window at 8am so opted for short run and for some mad reason go to Rec which is where I did the 5k time trial but I just ran 4.5 laps at a pace I felt happy with not flat out or fast but averaged 11.35 for 36 minutes.So that was good progress :)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Run/walk noted, TS! But don't rush things!

All sounds good, WP...but don't rush things. 

20 minutes very easy this morning,  but still not great so not rushing things.

NZD: whatever you are doing,  or wherever you are, make sure that your kit is to hand!

How are the legs today, Birch?

Wordle in four. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    TS, it's just another place not here to me. Travel for the sake of it I find pointless. That sentiment is down to not being able to remember or visualise 99% of where I've been or what I've seen. Not worth the effort.

WP. If you or anyone, has health issues, I would suggest that spending time stretching and maximising mobility is maybe a better option than running. 

🙂

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Wise to not push it, WP.

Good to note the "jeffing", TS!  

Legs not too bad, alehouse.  Gave them a 4.5 mile trundle on the flat today; completes a 41 mile week.

Dave
  • Options
    WP
    a dry spell -you did well. Is there a track at the Rec or is it just a grass field?

RicF
    thought it might have sparked a memory of something that happened, or you saw, there.
    In my lake photo I can still "see" in my mind the image of an otter running across the grass a  distance away, but too far for my phone to photo. First time in an age I had seen one in the wild.

Dave
    another good/great week's total - when is the 10K?

alehouse
    if you are still feeling unwell - don't rush things :)

Well England didn't rush things in the rugby last night - crude but effective tactics, kick high and long and wait for mistakes and tiredness to set in- hey it worked - just.

Back to the walk this morning so not rushing things ...

Wordle in five!
  • Options
    Definitely not rushing here, TS: just another quarter of an hour very easy. Got drenched but was dressed for it. Then went in bright sunshine to walk to pick grandson up: got drenched but wasn't dressed for it.

Wordle in six.
  • Options
    .. not rushing but swimming this morning as torrential rain lashed down on a strong wind :/
    I quite like running in such stuff but walking is not enjoyable - even with my big umbrella up!!

Anyway a hot shower on my return livened me up a bit.

Big night tonight - pre-match nerves creeping in already. Family gathering to watch :)

wordle in four - neat symmetry as I went last letter, first and last letter, first, third and last and solution :)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Day off yesterday - just never got going. back to it today with a wet and windy 11 miles circuit. Fortunately the rain was light, not your deluge, TS.  Soak in the bath for me! 

Big match here too - relegation battle already  . . . . 

Wordle in two - one of my regular openers yielded three letters, which only left two choices (that I could see), and I guessed correctly . . .  

Dave
  • Options
    11 is decent,  Birch. 

Not much more than that in minutes here! Still not 100%, mainly with aches at the back of the head. Gradual improvement and no rush!

Wordle in three: could have been two but, unlike Birch, made the wrong choice of two.

Pope playing well...and may need to!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Update
    Out of hospital, infections fixed. I'm off of all meds except potassium. Body slowly recovering, fatigue still an issue but now able to do a few chores. Fixing the dryer as it had stopped working. Exhaust vent totally blocked so I had to take it all apart. Frequent rest required but nearly there.
    Somehow I managed to hurt my achilles so walks still impacted.
    TS,
    I turned 77 yesterday , how did we get so old?
    Mick
  • Options
    Ts a path running around the outside  of pitch for football and rugby.

Good news Mick and belated birthday wishes. 

Dave good run and bath.

Nothing yesterday or today as torrential  rain and no sleep yesterday.
    PT session this morning  no upper body work. Due to shoulder.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Excellent news, Mick! And many happy returns!
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Mick
    you youngsters - always getting into mischief :)

Happy belated birthday  wishes and the good news about your progress is a super present to yourself.

Saved a $ or two on fixing the drier as well!!

Strangely my wife has a problem with her heel/achilles and we think it is down to her having to lie in one position due to the leg brace and the back of the heel's fatty shock absorbent area has got inflamed by the constant pressure
    So I now have an additional job as a masseur!!

Dave
    well at least it wasn't a defeat for the Owls - and could also say that about the Toon - still not at their fluent best going forward, Milan obviously under instructions to only shoot directly at anything wearing yellow - or Pope's positioning was immaculate :)

Nice to see a competent referee (even if it was a penalty for the shove on Longstaff) and linesmen who immediately flagged for offside etc so the game flowed a lot more.

Onwards and upwards :)

Luckily found a break in the torrential rain this morning - it was warm and windy. Just got back before it started to pour down again.

Exercises progressing - adding an extra  push up every day. Long way to go to get back to the 50 I could do with ease - about 42 to be exact :/

• Options
    You were lucky TS.Flipping blowing a gale and driving rain.

Run was not pleasant but 47 minutes all done.The flooding was bad in places.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Splendid news, Mick - good to hear.

TS - yes, good result for your boys. Least said the better about the Owls . . . .   

WP - good work!  

Very soggy speed session today. Just two of us (!), but 2 x (400m, 600m, 600m, 400m) accomplished. No cafe - too sodden, so straight home to hot bath!

Dave

edit - ps - Wordle in four - but given my oft used starter word yielded four letters in the correct place, could have been two or three . . .
  • Options
    WP
    good swimming :)

Dave
    .. wet intervals - lovely!
    But no cafe and cake - it must have been bad.

wordle in four also after getting four letters in the right place after two and only missing the second I was fearful of running out of guesses!
  • Options
    Quick post: work/short run/ long stretch/ wordle in three/ quick rehydration.  Work again next two days. Feeling largely better. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    That's good, alehouse.

TS - yes, it was bad!  Much better today; sunny and mild at 10am for my out and back flat(ish) trundle of 5.5 miles.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Sounds like a lot of us have pretty wet rain.
    Dave: Well done on speed work!
    Ale glad you are feeling better.

Another very wet run but no wind just over an hour.

Off to wordle as running behind today.
    Wordle in 4.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    good to hear about the improvement -apart from the work bit!

WP
    you are still in the path of the wet stuff - an hour is good going in those conditions

Dave
    that sounded an improvement too for you weatherwise :)

Similar here first thing - sunny and cool, perfect running weather, sigh!

Pleasant enough trundle after my very early exercises and then off to hospital with Mrs TS for physio - place surprisingly busy despite strikes!

Good progress made and a harder set of exercise homework prescribed so I am again going to be the hard taskmaster  :)

Worlde in five as I tried to find the last letter after getting four in two!
  • Options
    Wordle in three.

Enjoy being the hard taskmaster, TS! 

Good running Birch and WP!

No rain here until half an hour ago, and that was short-lived. 

A couple of easy miles after work. Don't want to push my luck and run too far or too hard. Probably resume fuller training at the weekend. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    An hour is commendable in the rain, WP.

Crack that whip, TS :)  

parkrun tomorrow, alehouse, as part of your easing back into thiings?

Met a old (in both sesnses) running buddy today for a (for him) 28 mins jog - his first for many months. I added on to record a very steady paced 5 miles.  Nice to renew acquiantance.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: That is lovely to run with an old running buddy;)

TS:How is the patient under your guidance?

Ale: Be careful easy does it.

35 minute run in the DRY first time in ages and a faster paced run.I was short on time as needed to be back to get Mr WP ready for his gym session.

Away for weekend as was to be race weekend.Looking forward to long walks, long runs,long soaks in bath(been 18 months) and reading;-)

Will try to pop in as I have wifi at apartment.

Wordle in four.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Have a great weekend, WP - enjoy your soaks in the bath (I hope you don't experience the other kind whilst walking/running)!!