Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I rarely go to Lidls these days but that's a tempting offer on the tarts.

Cal - hope that niggle clears up quickly. 

Ian - I  take it you're over the head cold. 

I know how annoying the ice is, but it's not worth the risk.    We've had a good drying day here and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to do a better run tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Worst is over,just the sniffs still there,hopefully day or 2 and I'm done.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Can’t recall what race you’ve got on this Sunday?

8 miles into the office this morning. Nice to be back on the usual river commute despite arctic conditions. No ice on the Thames path and into the City thankfully. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Just 4 Villages HM.
    Random question,does anyone have any Merino wool kit? One of the tracksmith tops I got is Merino,I wore it today and it was great,but it says they rarely need washing,which seems weird to not wash after a run,to be fair I hung it earlier and it doesn't smell at all.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - I’ve not got any merino running kit but a couple of normal jumpers. They shrink easily under hot water I think. Is the tracksmith kit good? It’s awfully pricey that’s for sure. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes it says to wash in cold water.
    It is good kit,is it worth the money? Probably not but it does feel good,and it was a post Xmas treat for myself,meant to last a long time so in that sense it could be worth it.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    Might have to give them a go. The singlets especially look good. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Ian - no, haven't got any merino wool kit.   But I've heard good reports on socks/thermal vests.  Mostly endorsed by walkers/cyclists but that might just be as the major commercial brands that we use for running kit don't market it.  I'm always a bit wary about the no need for washing, but certainly they are breathable and shouldn't smell and trap bacteria as synthetic kit can do.
    I wash all my running kit in a short cool wash now and never have any smell issues.   I always use clean kit for every run, except for jackets which I'll use for a few short runs or one long run/marathon before washing.

Rcouture - might be the weather to pick up a bargain singlet, surely they can't be selling a lot of them right now  ;)

Had a really bad night with my sciatica and I just can't face going out for a run, feels like -6 here.  Heavy frost again and I suspect a few icy patches.   Just 2 more days of this awful weather to endure.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Coincidentally I've just had an email from this company, sells merino wool stuff

ARTILECT Performance Clothing
  • Options
    -7C here

I have merino base layers and socks and nice and toasty with them on.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - you need them with those sort of temperatures.   Are you able to run today or do you have ice?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I don’t have any merino running stuff, but do have some items I use for walking.

I went into the Tracksmith stores in Boston and London. I was quite tempted with a singlet but as I wouldn’t race in it (I use club kit) I resisted. 

That’s bad news on the bad sleep/sciatica, Shades :( 
  • Options
    I am waiting till later have to have injection at 11.15 so hoping to run post injection.It looks icy on roads.I over heat normally but somehow dont think that will happen to me today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's the first bad night I've had for a while.  It's fine now I'm up and about, just a bit tired which I think is making me feel the cold, even though my flat is warm.

WP - a bit icy here too.   Hope you can get out later.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Love the bargain singlet comment,take it you haven't looked at their prices 🤣 no such thing as a bargain.
    Rcouture-They do have an archive section with some reduced,also sizing is definitely for the leaner athlete.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Hopefully it won’t be another Malta episode!

INFORMATION - FUNCHAL MARATHON 2024
    RACE OFFICE
    Due to bad weather conditions, which have influenced the normal operation of Madeira Airport, we are forced to postpone the opening of the Funchal Marathon 2024 race office, to 6 PM, on January 18th, due to the lack of necessary material for normal functioning of the race office.
    Time:
    January 18th from 6 PM to 8 PM
    January 19th from 10 AM to 8 PM
    January 20th from 10 AM to 7 PM

They’ve also moved the start time of the marathon to the earlier 7am for reasons they say are out of their control.  But I’m fine with that as it’ll hopefully be a bit cooler at least, although BBC is saying 16deg at 7am. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ha,ha.  After I posted that I did have a look at the singlets.   They look lovely,  nice cut, great material.    You might pick one up in the sale for less than £100, if you're lucky 🤣

Big G - have they had storms?   I read that as the race numbers/chips/t-shirts haven't arrived.  What else would be the necessary materials for the race office.   Everyone speaks English really well in Madeira so would be unusual to have weird translation of race info that we often get with overseas races.

16 degrees is fine, it's not going to get that much warmer, lowish humidity for the race, sound perfect conditions, don't forget your sun cream 🙃
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Strange they are bothering to open for 2 hours on Thursday,you'd think it would be easier to start again on Friday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not sure if they’ve had storms, but they’re now saying they’re not opening today but 12pm tomorrow instead. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bit of a tough day today,car didn't start and battery had died,wife was impressed being woken at 4.50 to drive me to work.
    Luckily I'm in my new place so only 10 min drive.Finished early and got it all sorted then got out for a 5 mile jog,took it really easy but it's more snow than ice today.
    Looks like it's all due to clear in the next couple of days,hopefully all gone for Sunday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - it does sound like the race numbers and/or timing chips have not arrived.  

Ian - oh dear, not a good start to the day. 

We've got a storm with 50mph winds coming in on Sunday.  Hope it's not heading your way when you're racing. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes we are down for the wind,it doesn't seem certain what time its going to hit so just got to hope it comes later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    A slightly better night's sleep but we have icy pavements this morning and a 'feels like' -5.    Might leave any running until tomorrow morning when it's going to be 10 degrees warmer 😍

Big G - this one is for you...if you're doing another elevation challenge

Possibility that this may be the last year that Langdale marathon (and half) will be held due to increasing costs, more entries may save the race.  This is fabulous race and the hilliest road marathon in the UK, approx. 3500ft.

Langdale Marathon - Brathay Challenges
  • Options
    -7C here actual temps we had snow over night a light dusting but has frozen- everything is glistening white.Not looking good for today to run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    We are set for >40mph winds on Sunday here but with no rain and much milder temps. Should be fine for my long run as long as I don’t get blown into the Thames. 

8 miles into the office yesterday. Will try and do a session around battersea park after work today. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - maybe leave it until tomorrow, I expect you'll be ice free then too.

Rcouture - tempo run later today then  :)
  • Options
    Shades I was thinking that but will see if it gets better by 11am.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, just go out earlier if you can.
    I'm heading to a parkrun with Tunde tomorrow so I tried a little test run. I had a few twinges and stopped and walked through them but then it settled and I was able to up the pace a little, so I think I'm fine. Just old and tight, I suppose.
    PC decided to throw a wobbly and took several attempts to boot, which is never good for my nerves. I have the laptop as back-up but I can't game on it so it's for internet stuff and that's about it. I guess the big PC is 3 years old now so it may need a new PSU or something. It's been rock solid until now.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Going back a little,I'm the same in that I always wash my gear after a run,but I'm currently doing a streak,trying to see how many times I can wear the Tracksmith top without washing it,day 3 now and definitely no smell.OH is not impressed though so think she'll sneakily wash it before I'll give up.
    Ice is a lot better today but still around,so stuck to the safe 5m loop I've done,was going to do longer but thought I may aswell keep it to a taper week and go again next week.
    Big G-Good luck on Sunday,hope collection etc went well.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good you're OK to run again now and the niggle has eased. 

Doesn't seem that long since you bought that PC.

I don't game but occasionally have a worrying moment that my PC will start to play up.  So far it's fine, nearly 9 years old now, but the guy that chose it for me recently died of a heart attack at the age of 52.

Since I retired one thing I noticed is that my IT skills have stalled at the level when I gave up work, so I'd probably find setting up a new PC fairly challenging. 

Ian  - I guess it's just trusting the technology of the materials in your running kit which are new to you.   

I'm sure your OH will scoop it up for the wash when you're not looking 😉

It's zero degrees here now but due to be +5 by the end of the night.  😁