Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, not good about the old guy!!  We’re flying Friday AM, and should be home Friday night. We’ve been getting ‘pupdates’ about Tigg, and he looks to be having a good time. He’s at home currently as we have friends staying from NL who are looking after him (that hasn’t been for our whole trip). 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - Tigg is lucky to be able to stay at home while you're away,  would be a long time in care/kennels otherwise. 

Hope he's not taking advantage of your friends lying on the sofa  ;)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited March 18
    Shades - yes it was taken at a theme park. I can't remember which one it was - I think Space World, which closed a few years back, sadly. And OMG at the pants guy. 🤣

Big G - there are some good parks in Japan but they're quite quirky, on the whole. There was one we went to that was themed to Sylvanian Families and another, Hello Kitty. The Japanese love their cute stuff.

Ian - yes, longest since January. I've done a couple of 6s including jeffing The Winter Run but that's about it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Sounds like back in school if you forgot your kit.
    Just did 5 after work today,calf feels a little tight after yesterday so played it safe.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, Tigg was with someone in Newton Abbot for about half of it, and then at home for the other half. Don’t think he’d appreciate kennels!

Cal, we saw a Hello Kitty-liveried bullet train. Also saw this, which I liked, which was a train mainly for people to take bikes on (the seats were just lined up along the windows and not facing forward)  

It’s one of the intriguing things about Japan that I can’t quite explain. In one way, it’s very traditional, with people extremely courteous, people bowing to each other (when a train conductor comes through, without fail they turn to bow to the carriage, before walking on), temples everywhere, no one ever talking on mobiles on trains to keep noise down to a minimum (everyone is using their phone, but never talking and certainly not on speaker!). The other day I saw a young lady accidentally drop some food, and then she spent 2 minutes cleaning the public footpath up with a wet wipe - it’s totally spotless here. But in another way, it’s almost futuristic and the country has embraced technology and leading it in some ways, with bullet trains that run on time seemingly to the second, electric cars, Nintendo stores, etc. Even getting decent hot coffee from a vending machine, served in a heat retaining bottle seems like the future!  It’s hard to explain and in some ways it’s kind of an odd mix, and as you say quirky. I love it though!

I think when I get back to the U.K. the simple loo seat will seem cold and boring though :D  

Had a good day in Kyoto yesterday. Went up to a bamboo forest area which was cool, and then came back into Kyoto on the bus to see a particular garden and do a famous walk back into town. Went to the food market one last time and then caught the train to Nara last night, and we’re here for 2 more nights. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Looks like odds of qualifying for NYC are quite low for qualifying via non-NYRR races (fastest 19%). I’ve seen mention of people in some age groups being 30mins inside and not getting in. I wonder if removal of the Half as a qualifying method will improve odds (I don’t think NYRR supply a breakdown of qualifying via Half vs Full)?  Either way, even if fit, I wouldn’t have got in for 2024 I don’t reckon so in hindsight I’m pleased I listened to OH and got another way in! 
    The Non-NYRR Time Qualifier application closed on March 6, and the selected runners have been notified. As the number of applications exceeded the number of spots available, the fastest 19% within each age and gender category were granted entry. Those not selected will be moved to the non-guaranteed general entry drawing, which takes place on March 28, for an additional chance to be selected”. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Tigg must have been confused when he was taken home and you weren't there.   Good he's doing fine while you're away though.

Coming home to a litter strewn and shabby UK will be a shock.   Really interesting how Japan (and some other countries) have managed to retain values of politeness/etiquette etc.

Lovely pics again.   The bike train is such a great idea.

Interesting about GFA entries for NYC, would be interesting to see the stats re the times the successful entrants had to achieve for each category.   Fastest 19%, that's tough.   Wonder if they'll tighten up the GFA times for the following year, a runner 30 mins inside the time would naturally expect to get in.

Found Pilates and Stretch a bit tough yesterday, back was niggling.   The old bloke turned up, thankfully wearing his shorts.   We had intended to reprimand him on his tatty old underwear but this week he brought his wife with him and she's really nice, so we said nothing.    The old bloke did ask if he could use the mat next to me, I said 'No' and I gave it to somebody else.

5+ miles this morning, had a nice run, mild with a little light rain.   Lovely and bright despite the rain, came home on the back roads

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That seems really fast for NYC,a 30 year old would have to run 2:23 if half hour was the cut,hopefully they will publish the times for clarity.We decided not to enter,looks like the right choice.
    8.5 today,seemed east enough now,just need to decide whether to go club tomorrow, looks a tough session.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    We just did the one bullet train when I went (this was with the rollercoaster club) and yeah, the guard bowing to the carriage struck me, too. No Hello Kitty train unless you count this.  :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it’s not 30mins across all age groups but I’ve seen a couple of 60yo women saying they did not get in with a 3:53, and their qualifying standard was 4:27. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    BTW, we went to what is apparently the world’s largest wooden building, which houses the world’s largest bronze Buddha (16m high), in Todai-Jo Temple in Nara. It was very impressive!  

It was all set in Nara park, where there are wild deer, who are very used to humans!  Another amusing sign.  Fortunately no deer attacked us, but we had a great day out yesterday. I’m the evening we went into a pachinko place, which is basically an arcade, but it’s crazy. 100s of machines, so much noise from the machines, and dozens and dozens of people playing. Bonkers. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - just as well you did change your plans re NYC, would have been very disappointing.

If your calf is OK go for that speed session tonight.   ;)

Big G - wow, there must be some very shocked runners not getting in to NYC.   Wonder how many had booked flights, anyone would feel comfortable booking a flight if they thought they had a 30+ minute margin.    Will be good for the sports tours companies for the next few years.

Great photos.

How's the foot?  Are you able to get out for a daily run now?

5 miles this morning.   Trashed my legs in the gym yesterday, ramping up the reps and weights again, legs very tired this morning.   When my legs are like this my HR stays low and easily in range without me having to keep a check.

Gym later...upper body today
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just heard from a FV50 friend of mine who was 19mins under but didn’t get in. 

Shades, no, unfortunately I can’t run currently. After parkrun on Saturday it was very sore so I am not sure what the answer is at the moment. 

Went for a walk on what is the oldest road in Japan, which was really nice. We’ve been lucky with the weather this whole trip, even the snow for the monkeys, but it’s raining today so we cut the walk short, but we still enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Don't like them doing it differently across ages,does male sense as a % but harder to work with.Might be easier next year when they only accept full times.
    Shades-Calf is still a little tight so will see how it is later,last thing I need now is an injury.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - sorry to hear the foot is still sore.

Ian - best to skip the speed session tonight, too risky if the calf feels a bit tight now. 

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I've logged in here! Anyway, cracking on with training for both Windermere and my 50 miler. Have got a half booked for the end of April too. Averaging around 60 miles a week at the moment and while I don't feel fast, I'm hitting the same paces on marathon paced runs as I did prior to Newport, which is a good sign. Did struggle hitting any sort of paces on my half marathon/LT paced runs though.

Just wondering for those that have done Windermere before, what sort of time did you run compared to your PB and did you plan to run slower or did the hills take care of that for you? Wondering if I can run 3:30 ish if I get myself in 3:10 shape?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I wouldn't say its that slow compared to normal,only did it once,but I'd say it was about 5 mins slower at your pace.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good to hear your training is going well. 

I agree with what Ian has said about Windermere course and time.  It's a rolling undulating course so usually there's gentle downhill following any uphills.    There is a tough uphill at 7 miles but that is the steepest hill.

My mate did a PB at Windermere, beating his Berlin PB by 7 or 8 minutes so can't be that bad 😉
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decided to play safe and take yesterday off,last 2 weeks have been 48 and 54 so I'm happy with how its going and don't want to push too far.
    See the Barkley marathon started yesterday,got ideal weather so could be a few finishers again,5 on to loop 3 together including Jasmine Paris,no woman has ever started loop 5,think she might be the 1 this year.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - definitely the right decision to skip the speed session.    That's good training mileage.

Hope Jasmine Paris does it this year, it won't be for want of trying, she's incredible.

6 miles today, lovely spring morning with the birds singing.   Had a good run through the woods and onto the cycle path.   Stopped to talk to dog owner again, Digger the collie now runs to meet me, so looks like I'll have to stop every time I see him now, my own fault.   He is a lovely dog though.
    Seeing lots more runners out early mornings now, one girl unfortunately having to slow to a walk as she had a niggle.   

Had a bad night, back niggling, think I will limit my upper body gym sessions for a while, I think that is slowing my back recovery and I suspect one particular exercise might be to blame.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian/Shades - That is good to know about Windermere. Good to see you both running well. I won't be aiming for a PB, as there will be no taper as just using it as a training run.
    Ian - Yes noticed that it started!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It was definitely a good idea to take yesterday off,felt a lot better today.
    Did just under 12 and felt strong with it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've noticed my HR now is quite a bit lower than it used to be,hinking about Seville do you think my max could drop quite a bit over the last year? Thinking it could explain why I struggled when my HR was exactly the same that I was fine with in Tokyo.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    And I know the probably best answer is to do a max HR test but they hurt 🤣
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good run today. 

Your max won't drop.  Theoretically it's supposed to drop 1 bpm a year but in practice for runners it's a slower decline than that.  I haven't retested my max, 20 years ago it was 160 and even now I  can touch 155 on a Dartmooresque hill.

If your training HR is lower now, then you're aerobically fitter.

Seville may have just been a blip, you could have just had an off day, imminent virus perhaps, overtired, overtrained, stressed.   Quite likely just a one off.

Of course if you've never done a max test.......🙃
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I did one about 4 years ago,didn't fancy doing another unless I had to.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - then you don't need to do another unless you think the first test was flawed in some way. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No it was right,I can see that from my training and race efforts HR when I'm fully fit.
    8 on loop 4 at Barkley,the most ever.
    Jasmine still there and looking good. It reminds of pre Internet days and scrambling around trying to get football updates on crackly radios and teletext trying to get a Barkley update.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've never felt the need to repeat an MHR test  ;)

Is it the good conditions at Barkley that is contributing to highest number on loop 4?

5+ miles today.   Another nice morning for running, I'm so enjoying the brighter mornings.

Gym later - legs/glutes again  :'(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Shades-Yes it must be,unless he has made the course easier,which I doubt.
    7 on the last loop,unheard of.Jasmime is still going strong,46:29 after 4 loops,they say having around 13 hours left for the last loop is the sweet spot so looking good for her.