Options

4 July race reports

Comments

• Options
    You makin' fun of me?
  • Options
    club scouser - thanks for that, but I already did in my previous two IMs.
  • Options
    club scouser - thanks for that, but I already did in my previous two IMs.

Clarifying (sp?) a little, a mate of mine didn't "succeed" (his definition, he did cross the line) but he felt *that* course had beat him. He left it 2 years and did *that* course again. But I am assuming that you'd not done this course before, to which I may be wrong.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't dream of makin' fun of you, Smiffy! I'm a girlie - we don't do that sort of thing.

:oD
  • Options
    Have just noticed that next year's IM Austria will be held on the 24th anniversary of Jim Morrison's sad, and sadly predictable, demise.

He died in the bath, cream-crackered after many years abusing his body with Dionysian quantities of LSD, though of a slightly different type to that which readers of this post will be acclimatised.

I will be dedicating my finish to the great man, and celebrating as he would have done, by staying up past 9pm and having a small glass of wine.

Break on Through!

MLK

• Options
    Thanks for boinging this MLK, I'd missed IWs Roth report. Er, enjoy your wine & Doors CDs...

IW thanks for your report - well done to get as far as you did. Sounds like your swim went well - even if you didn't get the finish you wanted you must be happy with what you did in the water? Having read several other reports on the race I've added Roth to my "to do" list, it sounds brilliant.
  • Options
    IW, Given how worried you were throughout the year about the swim you must have been really pleased with that.

It's a shame that your back gave up on you. Did you need to get treatment or was it one of those things that worked itself out once you were off the bike.

I still think you're brilliant! I wonder if I'll ever have the nerve to follow in your foot steps! Thaks a million for the report and I don't know about the others but I think a DNF report is probably more valuable to a greenhorn thinking of doing it in the future than stories of spectacular races, fascinating and all as they were.Well done!
  • Options
    Thanks Daz and Orca! My back has had some treatment and is responding, though not completely right yet.

Yes Orca, I was very happy with the swim, having proved to myself and others that I can do it well under the cutoff time.

Superdaz - if you do go to Roth you will not be disappointed. The crowds are fantastic, have been enthusiastically supporting (their) event for 20 years, even turning up at the crack of dawn to watch the swimmers.
  • Options
    Hello, going to boing this back up again

- would really appreciate some advice on travel to, and accomodation in, Klagenfurt. Any pointers on keeping cost down while not increasing stress or discomfort levels most welcome!

Getting to stanstead to fly a bit of a pain, but then train from Vienna to klagenfurt could be crap also...

Also, getting bikes over - did anyone use the chartered plane they sorted out, and if so how much was it?

Thanks!

My left knee.
  • Options
    Accom Schloss Hotel, right near the start finish, good food, great views over the lake if you ask for them. On line booking was fine.
    Travel, I used Easyjet to Slovenia and then hired a car for the 6 days to do the 70 miles to Klagenfurt, car £250, flight £30.
    Lots of others had problems with Ryanair who charge for the bike. Others who used Schenker had to pay way too much for transport and even then you have to pick it up its about 1 week after you get back so you have to travel to London again.

Don't mind answering more questions but take thm off line and I can be more specific. nicholas.rose(at)unisys.com
  • Options
    Iain

I'm not sure what the charter thing was. I shipped my bike using the logistics service, which was fantastic provided you don't mind paying £250.

Ryan Air will take your bike for £15 if you book early enough. Book now and you'll have no problems.

Re accomodation, Monique stayed in the youth hostel along with dozens of other competitors from all over (US, Mexico, Italy, Hull(!)). That was cheap and convenient.
  • Options
    oh yeah, the schenker thing - for £250 you have to take it to and pick it up from their base near heathrow. its not a problem if you are based in london as they are right on the picadilly line. would be a nightmare otherwise.

overall, i'd go ryanair but book now, and make sure that you get evidence that the bike's booked on and paid for
  • Options
    Thanks all - this schenker deal sounds like BAD news all round. Ryanair it is, though (if anyone else is trying to sort out transport for this) their schedules for June/July next aren't out for another 6 weeks.

• Options
    austria is rubbish anyway, i'd go to switzerland if i were you that's much better.
  • Options
    I hope that last post is a joke...
  • Options
    BOING !!!

Someone told me that IM Austria is gonna be on Channel 5 - I think it's tonight, but its one of those past midnight things, so technically it may be Tuesday.

Maybe we'll see Candy Mon and Ironrose (amongst others) in action ?
  • Options
    Just checked in Metro, it's on Channel 5 at 1.35 am.
  • Options
    Good work Pardner !
  • Options
    Went to the London Stage of the Tour Britain yesterday - brilliant stuff, hope it's on again next year.
  • Options
    ooh ooh i might be famous. hopefully there will be no filming of the backmarkers in the swim. look out for the skull and crossbones on my bike.
  • Options
    According to Metro there's a comedy out-takes bit at the end - "watch out for the hilarious moment when one of the swimmers gets lost!!"
  • Options
    Tee hee hee !

Erm, where did you have a skull and crossbones on the bike Candy ?

Dave - I saw the Manchester start and finish - it was good, but I should have seen it in the hills. Will do that next year I think.
  • Options
    on the front of the aero pringles, of course
  • Options
    I liked the Criterium format - you could see the breaks develop and get reeled in as they came round every couple minutes.
  • Options
    Of course. The aero pringles. Tee hee hee.

DD - if they have the Newport Nocturne on next year - come up and see that. Bike racing at night in Shropshire. Huge crowds.
  • Options
    I might do that - I'm planning a few cycling weekends away from London next year - 100 mile bike rides round Essex ain't much fun.
  • Options
    Shropshire is luvverly. And hilly too. I think Ironbridge is Shropshire ?
  • Options
    Yes, hills - apparently they've got some of those in Switzerland.

• Options
    hiya, back from hols, just in time to see IM Austria. Talking of hills, did a load of training whilst in Greece, well a bit of running at 7pm after I had recovered from the 3am drinking every night !! There isn't a flat road where I was staying and decided to do a bit of hill training, couple of long runs with a 1100 ft climb took it out of me only to realise that Norseman is more than 4 X that just in the run !!
  • Options
    i'll be signing autographs at the weekend