Options

Berlin Marathon 2004

Comments

• Options
    abso-bloody-lutely!!

see you there
  • Options
    Thanks Lars, got the results. Doesn't it feel good that it's all over! Until the next one of course..
  • Options
    FG. Good on ya mate. What does a championship place get you?
  • Options
    Cheers for results page info - I wanted the splits but got a copy of the 'morgenpost' with the final results and pictures etc. Did anyone get the 'impossible is nothing' poster in the paper that has every runner's name on it? Simple things impress me....
    Still some brilliant times popping up - well done! Can someone please tell me how to jump to 3.15 now without increasing my mileage to more than 35p/w ?!!!! I like running but I like sleep & bacardi too....
    Chris, perhaps I should get on that lat pulldown! In fact I won't be able to coz I'm still clutching my handbag ;))
  • Options
    Rexford, just saw your message. We didn't get there until about 5ish so missed you at the pasta lounge too. Very impressed with everything about the marathon and met a couple of pacers on Sat night so hubby ending up running with the sub 3:30 guy towards the end and saw the 3:15 pacer pull out about half way through and let his balloons go!
  • Options
    Cheers Lars!

I'll be there tonight for Round 2.

Sim
  • Options
    Thought it was just me with the missing km markers!!
  • Options
    I had real trouble spotting the km markers...saw my first about 10km. Very lucky it did not bugger up my timing...other people told me they saw them fine so thought it was just me.
  • Options
    we both had problems with them too and are really glad we'd sussed out our km split times as I didn't see a single mile marker. I think there were km markers at each km but they were a bit hard to see.
  • Options
    I struggled and I deffo thought there were some missing. Probably my only complaint about an otherwise great event though.
  • Options
    KC - no worries. glad to hear you enjoyed it. pacers? i didn't see any at all. did you NJ? congrats btw on breaking 3. did you feel ok toward the end with such a huge negative split?
  • Options
    Did anyone try the iced tea? (I presume it was cold?).
  • Options
    Rexford. Cheers mate.

The sub 3 pacer was towards the back on the right hand side of pen C. Had a yellow balloon tied to his hat. I was about 10 metres behind him in pen D, but didn't see the going of him. Can't believe how many slow runners there were in front of me, took me nearly 5 mins to do the first k!

I wasn't really sure what to do at half way, I thought I had blown it. I felt pretty good so I decided to push it on a bit and see how I felt at 30km. Picked my pace up to 4:05 - 4:10 per km and felt pretty comfortable so decided to see how I felt at 35km and then 37. Started to wall around 38 (split for km 39 was 4:37!!) but it was only gradual and with 3 miles left I was sure I could hang on. I knew it was going to be close so I was hammering it down the final straight (or so I though, I was actually going the same speed!). My watch said 2:59 and a few seconds under the gate so I had to put on the big showboat finish! Really pleased I managed to hang in there.

I ran London this year (my first marathon) in 3:27 and walled at about 17 miles so was expecting it again. I guess my additional training milleage worked this time.
  • Options
    The tea at the finish was hot.
  • Options
    The beer was cold though and free. Our little group drank them dry! (well, there were a few others there).
  • Options
    Don't blame you! I though I was going to have to pass up on the beers coz I felt so rough but its amazing what a warm shower can do!!
  • Options
    Yes the free beer was brilliant! did anyone make it to the after party? I wanted to go but by 8pm was absolutely knackered.
  • Options
    Got there about 7.30 and there wasn't a lot going on. Little un was shattered, I was shattered, so I went for the early night as well!
  • Options
    that's a shame when you made the effort to go! would've loved to have seen if the winners were hobbling about as much as we were.
  • Options
    We were there till about 9.30ish. The setting was impressive, in the unfinished Reichstag U Bahn station, a cavernous space all concrete pillars, booming acoustics and with a balcony running round the edge. The winners (1st seven places!) seemed to be enjoying themselves, were introduced individually and were enthusiastically received. You had to pay for your beer this time round. We were out till 3 in the morning. Nick, I'm gunning for sub 3 now, so I guess I'll have to cut out the late nights!
  • Options
    I went with lovely Zoe and her lovely friend Zayne - they managed to seduce Felix Limo! The 'Kenyan massive' were mostly hobbling (hurrah!) - but danced themselves back to fitness.

They were selling Gatorade for 6 euros - hilarious. Setting was quite impressive - but I was too knackered to make the most of it.

• Options
    KC. Saw the Kenyans warming up in the park. It was an awesome sight, eveyone just stopped to watch them jog by!

Sim. Should be OK, as long as you aren't doing it all the time. It was only in the last few weeks that I started being a bit careful.
  • Options
    Cheers Nick, wish I'd seen them warming up. Can't believe Felix managed to win the race and dance at the party! We watched the skaters on Saturday, the guy who won that looked like he was just cruising along without a care in the world.
  • Options
    hi folks,ran this last year and had a brilliant time.any of you done new york
  • Options
    Not yet. Always said I would do it when I qualify.
  • Options
    No, but it's on my list. Always fancied doing Boston too.
  • Options
    Hi Glynis, I did NYC last year. Very different from Berlin, still a lot of fun, but be prepared to queue a lot and be shouted at constantly by marshalls/organizers/crowds/yank wallys with bullhorns. If you write your name BIG on your top you will be cheered by name from start to finish (almost).

And your fitness will need to be good, as there are two or three big bridges plus a nasty 2-3 mile gentle (but killer!) incline at the end.
  • Options
    Hey!Rowena!Row dat boat!you could do that 3.15 easy as pie girl!yeah,work on that upper body stuff!im proof it works!and i guess step up to some quality speed work?
    seems we all had a great time,but must confess we ducked out at the entrance to the post race bash as it all seemed a bit loud!strewth!middle aged aye!ive done New York,its incredible,but pretty toughish,and the long wait at the start is a bummer.year i did it it was freezing!just a sideline,i felt easier not worrying about times,splits,and pacing in Berlin....like a few others couldnt see the km signs so just thought sod it!feel o.k!just run it and whatever happens happens!only looked at the watch a couple of times!
  • Options
    Photos are up!

See top banner on main marathon website. It's all secure so I don't get to look at all of you lot - pity!

I'm howling in pain in most of mine - brought back some happy memories!
  • Options
    I'm taking in a split time in all of mine! I'm also leaning forward too much which might explain the pain I have had in my thighs ever since!