Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    Bit slow in here today...

I'll not update you on the situation of my snot, other than to say that it's still there.

Ho hum...
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi folks.
    Back from my week of hols. No running for 10 days now (!!!) but lots of walking round hill villages - calves and ankles feel strong. Despite generous quantities of vino and ice cream, first time I've ever been to Italy and not put on weight. Expect it is my muscles melting away... Off for a gentle 10k before it gets too hot (28° here yesterday) to try and get back in the swing of things.
  • Options
    Morning,

Sounds great Escargot, welcome back.

Just off out for a very gentle 6 miles. Find a couple of down hill bits and let fly - its always a good indicator as to condition of the leg muscles.

Then I'll go and get my hair (singular) cut.

Its much cooler up north :) and the weather looks spot on for the 10K tomorrow
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

Welcome back escargot, you seemed to enjoy your hols.

Warm out now did 3 miles trying to stay relaxed as possible hoping not to wear myself out too much before tomorrow.
    Somehow managed miles of 9:40, 9:22 and 9:44
    Don't know how. so chilling out where i can for the rest of today

Run was pleasant to begin with, a bit of warmth but with a breeze as well just starting to get very warm as i neared the finish.

Good luck Sodahead and all other racers
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Morning!
    No long run for me today and no exercise since Weds either. I went downstairs after my last post to watch Liverpool become champions of europe, bit slipped and went down the last four or five stairs on my back. All that was going through my head was "I am going to break my leg when I reach the wall at the bottom and never run again!!"
    Ended up with just a bruised back and aching in my neck and shoulders when I turned. Feeling ok today, but I think tomorrow's 5k might suffer.

We are off to buy bikes this morning! Hopefully the rain will hold off so we can go exploring - it is looking rather changeable round here at the mo.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend - I think there were a fair few -Jenny, isn't your first 10k in goodness knows how long this weekend??????????

Dave - Hope your body stops churning up gunk soon.

Clumber Park 10k sounds good - is it flat? Could it potentailly be my 45-min-er???

Byesie boos
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Actually, 9th Sept is a bad weekend. Friends are getting married on the 10th so not that great :(
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Jen - depends on your point of view - it's great for them :o)

Be careful with yourself for a few days - after a fall like that, there can sometimes be injuries that you don't notice at first. If you don't feel right, then don't take any chances in the 5k.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone could help me. I have just come back from Wales during which I ran the perimeter of Lake Vyrnwy (10+ miles). However during my run my GPS through a complete wobbly due to poor reception (lots of trees and hills there). The accurate data I do have is average BPM, distance (which I shall work out from a map) and time taken. Is there anyway of working out given my weight and age how many calories I burnt up? At the moment it is saying about 1000 (which is far too low) - I suspect 1650 to 1800 ish but I would like to know if there is a more accurate way to work this out?
  • Options
    10+ miles - well done karl
  • Options
    I have just worked out that it was actually 10.98 miles. Personally I think it was a reckless thing to do given that I have already done a 9 miler on Mon (longest mileage to date), a 6 mile race at 8:00/mile pace on Wednesday and then this run. But being faced with the Lake, the wildlife, the weather and the desire to give the lake a crack .... well what can I expect. I enjoyed every minute of it. I have just gotta try and work out my calories now.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your training is going well, karlb. There's a calorie calculator at www.coolrunning.com

Poor Jen* - hope your aches and pains feel better soon. Maybe best to give today's race a miss? Good luck to all other racers and I hope it's not as hot for you as it is here.

Completed 10k yesterday in a sluggish 1:08 and average HR of 75%. Not too bad considering the heat, I suppose, and legs felt fine. Off for another gentle plod now, then I'd better start looking at schedules - next half is in only 14 weeks!
  • Options
    Morning,

KarlB, well done with the milage.

10K up and down very hillg race for me today (wonder if Bunny is still going to do it?).

Jen, ouch - take care.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

((((Jen)))) - look after yourself.

Impressive mileage karl

Escargot - well done on your race when its hot there's only so much you can do

5 mile road race today did it last year, not a fast race but relatively local.
  • Options
    Karl - I think that this is what you're after.
  • Options
    Jen - Have just caught up with all the forum messages I missed over the past few days (91 emails in my inbox) and all I can say is ow ow ouch OUCH!! I also admire you thinking of your legs as you are bouncing down the steps. Look after yourself and hope it all gets better soon.

Every1 - thanks for your advice; apparently I burnt 1661 cals. I think I have had a tough week ruynning this week. Will do a slowish 6 miler today. Oh and I think I shall be going shoe shopping today also yipee :)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi peeps, I do not have the time right now to look back over the last week's postings, so please fill me in if I have missed anything.

I looked back a page and saw that JennyD had a magnificent club run in the week, well done. karb too seems to have been flying around the countryside.

Jen* I do hope your back etc recovers quickly from a nasty fall, I can identify with your thoughts! The pride takes a knock too doesn't it.

Escargot pleased to have you back after your hols.

whilst I was away in cumbria I experienced some of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen BUT THE WEATHER WAS PANTS! Cold, windy, raining sideways, straight down with hail stones, and fairly continual. The day you all had hot weather in the south was cold and we had the heating on!

I ran up and down hills. From where we were staying, on the top of a fell, it was 4 miles down to a lovely park and then 4 miles back up the hill again, some of it pretty steep. I had 2 rest days to recover from the hills. One the day before yesterday, when I could hardly drag myself around on my feet.

Last evening on return I ran 6.3 miles, with a 7.51 mile thrown in and today I am finding it difficult to sit down with any comfort, my left butt is still a problem, so I think no more running for a few days and see what happens. Drat.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Have returned from Barking.
    So guess here is the race report.

Last year i did 42:27 just looked at last years result thought it was 43:xx. But reckon now that must have been at canvey.
    Wanted to beat last years time, also 41:25 (FV35 pb) Sub 40 would have been nice.

We were off. Dodging other runners at the start took a while to get into my rhythm. Very twisty course so not expecting a superfast time, but very well marshalled.
    Couldn't see any mile markers (so relied on gps) in fact the 1st one i saw was at the 4-mile mark!!
    Each time concentrating on the runner ahead trying to catch them seemed to be going fast (well for me) according to watch, not that i looked at it that many times.
    Approached halfway alledegedly watch said 17:2x. I doubted we were at halfway. No way was i running at 35 min pace (7 min miles) as much as i would like to :)

A few minutes later a woman marshall said we were approaching halfway, ah well back to earth with a bump.

Into the park was running with a tall guy trying to keep pace with him, but gradually he got away thighs were really aching now couldn't pick up speed at all. Just couldn't physically go any faster. This is where i saw the 4 mile mark about 33:37.

Back into the town up pass the shops now finish line is straight ahead now a few hundres metres -tops. But then someone pointed us to turn right. Super!! Andys mate then passed me so trying to keep up with him. Really hurting now eventually see finish line trying to push could not catch person in front, but no-one overtook me on the finish line :o)

Finished in 41:54 by my watch. Officially you can add a few seconds onto that.
    Watch said i'd run 5.59 miles but did lose signal a few times
    Asked what time i finished in i couldn't physically speak, so just showed the watch.

Overall quite pleased with performance avg HR 170 (91% mhr) peaked at 184 (mhr-2).

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone!

Fall update.... back feels fine, bruising not causing any problems, so running wasn't going to be a problem. However, yesterday we bought bikes and went out for 15 miles on them. My shoulders are aching from that a bit.... and my botty isn't best pleased either!!!

Still, all in one peice, just a little achey and perhaps a bit tired but keen to do the 5k race today!

Race report - Wells 5k....
    The event was split into 1km, 5km an 10km races and in their wisdom, the organisers let the longer races go first. There was a bit of a delay at the start (fine by me, I needed the loo!) but the horn went and so did we. A few people needed to be over taken early on down through the first stretch through the town and I think there were only maybe 20 people ahead of me (flashbacks to 5th place, but I couldn't count up how many were women!!!).

Felt I should go a bit easier than the 5k a couple of weeks ago and got comfortable and was enjoying it.
    Then of course, we caught up with the 10k runners. Didn't help that this happened just as we were getting to a narrow off-road path. I may have lost a few seconds here, but I tried to keep up pace where I could. Not sure how accurate GPS was being with the trees, but it beeped 7:30 for the first mile Which is what I wanted, and in my head I was thinking "if I can do that while people are in my way, this might go ok!".

So still over taking people (can't help thinking the race order was really going to demoralise some of the 10k racers) trying to keep pace and really not sure what is going on since there were the mix of people. Happy to try and keep it easy... not so happy when it beeped "8:03" for the second mile. Which came while I was on a hill, so there wasn't very much I cold do about it either!!!

Got over taken on the hill by a woman and I didn't like that so as we were coming to the top I found a spurt to overtake her back. I think were were at about 4km by now and I didn't feel I could start pushing, but I could think "only 4 or 5 minutes left".

10k and 5k runners split - I nearly went the wrong way because there was only one woman doing all the guiding. Came into the final straight with no one to chase and couldn't hear anyone behind me either. I could see the clock on 23:xx which grumbled me a little, then one of the marshalls said "well done, third lady" which I didn't hear at first and a second later I suddenly realised what he said and it sent me flying to the finish with a big grin on my face!

Waited for the awards, but they only gave them out to first places. Will check the official results on line, but I think my race time was 23:4x and my watch time was 23:20.

Quite pleased that I made it, but I really don't think I like the 5k distance. Pacing is a nightmare!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Pammie - great running from you and a fair few seconds knocked off your course performance from last year! I can't wait to run the same races I was running last year, if only to compare performance across different distances and terrain.

Ceal/escargot/karl - sounds like you have had lovely break and surroundings to keep you enetertained, hope you are feeling mentally refreshed and relaxed.

Ceal - sorry about the pain in your butt - is it hills agravating it? Does pilates help? Or does that make it worse?

Escargot - for a returning 10k after a lovely long break, that is cracking!

Sodahead -hope your hair cut helped to keep you aerodynamic for your hills today! More prizes for your mantle peice by any chance?!??

Karl - Lake vwryn...!?! I envy you - it is beautiful! Good for you taking on the distance - but don't forget the longer ones are designed to be s-l-o-w-e-r.....! And another thing.. calorie counting and shoe shopping?!??! Do many men find running puts them so in touch with their feminine side?!??!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen* good race and getting better. 5k is difficult to pace as it is flat out from the start. You are going from strngth to strength especially after a 15 mile bike ride the previous day. Good position to finish in too. I can imagine the chaos mixing in with 10k peeps, good job you didn't go the wrong way! Well run.

Hills didn't seem to mkae butt worse, but they didn't make it better either! Pilates, I have to be careful with, but again no worse but not better from Pilates either, which usually helps any back aches I may have had before the class. Running certainly is not helping, but again it is not making it any worse either. But I will rest a few days and see.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pammie, I have said congrats on the other thread.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks ceal. It is perhaps worth me remembering that I wasn't really rested, despite not running much this week. I was a little let down with myself for not gettin sub-23, but you have made it better now!!
    Plus, there was a nasty hill that was much nastier than I thought it was going to be.

What about massage for your pain? I see people getting compressions in their glutes a lot when I go for leg massage.....???
  • Options
    Hi Jen,
    I did Lake Vyrnwy dead slow 10:00/mile pace. As for my feminine side well speak to fenscot about that one - he knows about my bookmarking activities on the RW website (see previous page ... I think).

Good to hear you are back on the mend and well done for coming third - you're on fire!!!
  • Options
    Jen* and Pammie - Great race reports, and well done for the third race.

Jen - biking and running? You don't happen to swim as well? Put all three together and you have ... utter madness.

Karlb - I'm getting seriously worried! 10.98 mile run, 6 miles at 8 minute mile pace, and increasing mileage each week. Reckon that sub50 10K is nearer than you think - and I don't have any races booked at present :0(

I have a strategy, however, thanks to Jen's reminder - build up the long and slow mileage again. Did just over 8.8 miles today in 83 minutes (c9:23 per mile). Aim to get up to 10 miles sometime in next fortnight.

Off to Scotland to visit parents tomorrow, so looking forward hopefully to one of my favourite runs - along the West Sands at St Andrews (as per start of Chariots of Fire film, when it was pretending to be Bournemouth!)
  • Options
    Jen - That was supposed to be 'third place'!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    karlb, there is a half marathon at Lake Vyrnwy in September, I have ran it twice, as you already know it is a lovely area. The race starts below the damm in the village and then up to the damn across it and around the lake and back, I can highly recommend it, very well run etc.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Jen - another crackin' race you never seem to amaze me

fenscot - enjoy scotland, they played chariots of fire before the start of the race today, for inspiration maybe, love the film, love that music. ;o)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pammie that must have been very inspiring to have Chariots of Fire played before a race, I think that should be obligatory!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Pammie, like your race report, the bit about after the station, I thought thats it straight down hill finish line, oh no we have to turn right. The kids race was brilliant thou.
  • Options
    Evening,

Report from the Raby Castle 10K.

Conditions were breezy and when the sun came out quite warm. Ran 1 lap (5K) as a warm up – very scenic route especially emerging from the woods to views of Raby Castle and the grounds gardens.

The course is a brute with 4 inclines the biggest of which is 1K long and totally unrelenting.

My Nemesis was not there, in fact there were very few of the Teesdale/Teesside speed merchants in the race. There was a lot of runners from Tyne and Wear though.

Anyways, lined up on the start line and off we went.

I took it steady at the start but quickly found myself boxed by runners who had started to fast and when we hit the first climb (the one that is 1K long) they all got slower. I nearly tripped one guy as we squashed up. Nuts to this, stepped to one side and hit the accellerator and passed about 8 runners half way up the hill.

There were K markers but the course is so up and down that taking splits was pointless. Got to the top of the 1st hill and now we were flying down a steep slope. Counted the runners ahead of me – 9. Got to the bottom of this hill then back up again through a farm, there was one guy with me. After the farm there was a long down hill drag, now I could relax and stretch my legs. I ran away from my running colleague here and started to concentrate on the two guys 40/50 yards in front.

Hit half way in 17:48 and passed one of the runners that had been ahead of me so now in 8th position. The guy in front of me was 40 yards ahead at the bottom of the big hill so we started the big climb again. This was real hard work this time. The guy that I passed at half way stage caught me up but at the top of the climb the runner in front stopped!!!! He was bent double and looked in real trouble. We both passed him at the same time but he managed to get going again and tagged onto us. Through the farm together as a trio and then down the long slow slope. Myself and the guy who had stopped ran away from the guy who had caught me up (stay with me). I was fairly sure the guy who stopped would beat me to the line so I stayed with him as long as I could.

Really struggled to get over the last couple of ups and downs towards the finish but I was secure in 8th position so motored on as best I could. Crossed the line in 36:12, 8th position overall and 1st Vet.

A real hard slog of a race but well pleased with my efforts. Looking forward to Thirsk 10 miler next week.