Options

Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi all

Glad you're all in positive spirits.

Neil - just enjoy all that champagne and have one for your team - each member, that is!

Three days to go indeed! Can't wait to put faces to names.

Jo
  • Options
    Jo,

Yeah will be good to put faces to names having been chatting for a while. btw whos bringing the umbrellas - latest weather forecast looks poor! Then again when have the BBC ever got it right!

Right that's me off for the day. Out to the cinema to see Xmen2 - no drunken night for me!!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu

Hope you enjoy the film - not even an eensy, teensy, weeny little drinkie?

Jo
  • Options
    Jo,

I'm shocked that you think i would be drinking so close to marathon day!!!

Oh well might have a couple at lunch time today but that will be it!

Stu
  • Options
    Smart only 50 hours and 7 minutes until the off :)
  • Options
    NN,

Thsnks for the countdown!!

Hope the weather is better on Sunday than it is right now!!

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu

Enjoy your lunch time drink - I'll toast you all this evening!

Can't be doing with this weather - consider your hopes for improvement seconded!

NN - have downloaded the Southend half form - are we running as part of a URWFRC team? Need to know whether to put the club name on the form.

Thanks for the countdown:)

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Gang,

Looks like we may have good news on the weather front. Looks like it may just be overcast rather than actual rain (that's according to the met office)!!

Countdown - 46 hours 15 mins (I think!)

Stu
  • Options
    Maybe not, BBC are still saying rain :-(
    But surely the Met office would be more accurate?????
  • Options
    Stu - who knows! Could well be 200 runners slipping and sliding all over the place!!

Jo :)

45 hours and 58 mins (at least by my watch!) to go? - anyone know a sundance?
  • Options
    Jo,

That could be quite interesting. I know all about slipping over having run Benfleet 15, which was very muddy!

As to the sundance, unfortunately I do not. Maybe I should do a quick search on the internet to see if there are any recommendations. Will report back if I find anything!

44hours 55 minutes to go by my watch (although I think it is a couple of minutes fast!)

Stu
  • Options
    Jo,

There is a sundance!! But it takes 4-8 days!! We need lots of maidens and some warriors aswell oh and a buffalo's head. Think we can improvise with the first two but what about the buffalo????

Stu
  • Options
    Stu - mmm - that's a hard one - anyone out there with a large dog?

Jo :)
  • Options
    Jo,

We have to cut its head off, not sure anyone will volunteer there pet and not sure what the RSPCA would say about it all!!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu

Yeah - that's true. Any publicans/hoteliers out there with a deer head on a plaque hung on their wall?

Stu - have you worked out the dance routine? And do we have to chant?

Jo
  • Options
    Jo,

Well as I understand it its not a dance as such. Oh and the maidens get it easy you just have to move around a bit. It all relates to 'dancing' round a pole(!!). The guys get hooks put through there skin and are tied to the pole, they are then required to release themselves be pulling away from the pole and tearing their skin !!!

I'm not volunteering for that!! NN, Neil, any takers??????

Stu
  • Options
    Stu - there must be an easier way! By the time we've finished all that palaver, we'll miss the start of the race!!!

How are you feeling today? I'm feeling fairly positive at the moment - Sunday morning may be another story! I'm looking forward to swapping stories on Monday about how we are all feeling - should be interesting!

Jo
  • Options
    p.s. makes a change the maidens getting it easy!
  • Options
    Jo,

Feeling ok at the moment. Did not go for beers at lunchtime, in the end went for a long walk to stretch my legs. Really want to go for a beer tonight but am being good and going home for lots of pasta and an early night!

Its agreed that we will pass on the sun dance then. And I suppose it is fair to give the maidens an easy time for a change!

Will definitely be interesting to see how we all feel on Monday.

Stu
  • Options
    Stu - Enjoy your pasta - I'll think of you whilst I'm slurping mine.

Yep - it's agreed we'll pass on that particular sundance - if you can think of a more user friendly one, please let me know!

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Gang,

Well, it looks as though I missed a fun day :)

Too busy with work stuff unfortunately to even think about coming on the forums.

Oh well not long to go now, just 39 hours and 5 minutes to the off!

NN
  • Options
    NN - nevermind - at least you've clocked off until Tuesday!

Happy counting!

Jo
  • Options
    Loopyloo,

Thats true, thinking about having a run tomorrow, but havent decided yet!

NN
  • Options
    NN - well have a good one if you do. I can't wait until Sunday - am raring to go - can feel the adrenalin already!

Am off to last dance class before exam - must have an early night tomorrow!!!

Less hours than before!!! (i.e. I've lost count!)

LL :)
  • Options
    Hi

Our normal car park (old tennis courts)is just by the start but the local authority have replaced them with what they describe as a newer and better car park. It is, but all their beautiful yellow lines have resulted in our being unable to get as many cars on as before so we have an overflow car park 5 mins. from the start. Suggest you leave 5 mins. earlier.

Second bit of bad news, the bouncy castle is not certain. A great big whirly thing (The Essex Air Ambulance) is landing and we seem at the moment to have an incompatability.

The good news, we only ever have the lightest of cooling rain during our marathon so don't believe the weather reports. At our first marathon we did have one magnificant downpour just as the Official Blazers started presenting the tropies outside but they have never come since so we should be OK.

Have a good run everyone.

Maurice
  • Options
    Hi Maurice,

Thanks again for your help and information, it will be very welcome to those of us coming from further afield than I am myself.

I recall it was quite warm in 98, so am not bothered if it is the same again.

Did you have any joy with a sign for somewhere out the front?

NN
  • Options
    Hi All,

36 and a half hours to go now. Having an early night tonight.

Jo pasta was lovely, especially as I didn't have to do the cooking (popped round to my parents).

Think I am still looking forward to Sunday?!!

See you all there!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

Good idea for early night!

Going for 11.2 mile run tomorrow late morning, then resting until Sunday morning.

NN
  • Options
    Morning all, off for my last run very soon so wont be about most of the day, anyway here are a couple of links of the course for anyone interested, or if you want to print them for your supporters.

I have reduced the quality in order to make them download faster, hence the poor quality!

They may take a couple of secs to appear!

http://www.ipswichjaffa.org.uk/jaffa/map1.jpg
    http://www.ipswichjaffa.org.uk/jaffa/map2.jpg

Speak later,

NN

PS. You can visit www.halsteadmarathon.co.uk also, which has useful info for the day.
  • Options
    If you have adsl and want the high res versions then let me know.

Back about 4pm.

NN