Options

New Forest Half Marathon

Anyone else thinking of doing this race? I'm aiming for sub 2 hr half in Windsor on 30th, and using this as a warmp-up

Comments

• Options
    Hi Normster

I'm thinking of doing this - I've heard it's a lovely route with not too many walkers, but I'll be aiming for a sub 2:30 time (I'm slow at the best of times and I gave birth only 9 weeks ago, and still healing, so waiting to see how the running progresses).

It supposedly very flat and a good one for a PB. I did the bristol half, and that was awful with so many walkers - I don't mind walkers, I just wish they'd go at the back instead of getting in everyones way walking 4 abreast....
  • Options
    Flat? No its not flat. Best described as undulating but its a good course, possible I will be there but too far away to be sure.
  • Options
    (Congrats on the birth,Loz). I last did this race WAY back in the 80's during my running 'heyday'. I was late getting there, and took the first 3 miles to catch up! It certainly is undulating, but the distraction of the fab scenery and ponies helps!
    Count your blessings your not doing the full marathon on the same day (different course). I did it once, and some of the hills are real monsters!
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Definitely not flat and not really the most scenic route in the Forest. The car drivers are fairly ignorant too - along with many others I was forced off the very edge of the road and into the bushes and ditches on occasion.

The marshalling was good.

New Forest 10m is a much nicer race IMHO.

Congrats Loz.
  • Options
    The NF10 is the first race I'm doing this year. Did that once aswell, and remember being very hot. Great organisation, though, with a load of things to keep the family happy while we're running.
  • Options
    Well I've done it! I've applied to run this one. Did my first 10K for 14 years last week, I've booked to do the NF10 (which does look like a good race) and I'm got my name down for this one now. I can't remember what my last 1/2 marathon time was as it was so long ago (Southampton and they stopped that years ago!).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it already.

Two Pints
  • Options
    Already entered for what will be my 5th attempt at this event. Its certainly not flat and there are better courses for PB potential. Some long climbs are spread throughout this course, very easy to over do it in the first half of the course and struggle with the hills later on. Well organised and marshalled. Traffic can be a problem on some parts of the course, 2005 was the worse year I remember, traffic situation was better last year. Roads are wide enough that walkers shouldn't get in your way. There are one or two 'funnels' when you need to cross the boarded parts of the cattle grids but they don't usually cause any real delays.
  • Options
    I'll be there, see you at the start!!! best wishes
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    I did this last year and it is a nice course, not as nice a route as you would expect. Traffic seemed fine last year. It was hot though but as others have mentioned not as hot as NF10, I have done that 3 times now and it is always baking! Much nicer course though.
  • Options
    Hey Normster! How goes it? I plan to do this one, I used to live in New Milton, love the Forest so should be an enjoyable one.

Did the Fleet Half Sunday BTW...Brill!
  • Options
    Hi SMH. Green with envy that you did Fleet! NEXT year, DEFINITELY!
    Recovery still going strong, so haven't given up the idea of a race or two before NF10 in July.
  • Options
    Agreed, not flat, and make sure that there is enough in the tank for the last hill in the last quarter, but not too hilly. Did it last year for the first time and first at that distance. I enjoyed it, not especially crowded but still plenty of people to run with. Lots ofsponge stops and even someone spraying runners with their garden hose - it was a good thing. No complaints and am looking forward to doing it again this year. See you there..
  • Options
    Confidence in recovery, and steady improvement in fitness is edging me towards doing the Poole 10k. How many laps of the park is it,SMH? Any idea?
  • Options
    Normsta - I have plotted the route on www.mapmyrun.com (Excellent site!)

Here it is!
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/united-kingdom/poole/263820114

Do bear in mind that I haven't been very accurate with this, but its not far off! This is my usual 5km lunch time route.

Best of luck on the recovery and fitness...keep going! I've just started weight training due to losing too much weight running...hard work, don't like doing weights! :(

Hope you make it to the Poole 10km, sign up soon if you are, and get in touch so we can meet up!
  • Options
    Had a look and it's pretty much what I thought it would be. Thanx for that. It's next on my credit card to-do list!
    Got a couple of local 5 milers before this one, so will be able to guage fitness and pace (said he hopefully)
  • Options
    Entry for Poole confirmed. Not sure of our arrangements for the weekend yet,SMH. Meet for pre race chat and post race beer/coffee?
  • Options
    Due to the Grizzly being reschduled the NF half is now the week afterwards!!!!!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Thinking about this one....... anyone done it before?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I've done it before Poppy and really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Question. Does anyone know if the water will be handed out in silly little plastic cups or bottles?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it was cups last year.
  • Options
    Are we related Howard??
  • Options
    From the guys on the full marathon site it'll be cups....
  • Options
    Am coming down with a few club members from north Kent to have a weekend away and do a nice half, did it a couple of years ago and thought it a nice friendly race. We are staying at Shorefield which is just by the sea near New Milton where there are good facilities and a bar which is none too expensive. Bring it on..........
    H&P
  • Options
    I did this in 2002. I had a fast time, so it isn't slow, but I have a phobia of ponies, so I was always going to run fast here. From what I remember, it had a very long finishing straight, which seems to go on forever.
  • Options
    How fast does this fill up guys? I'm in for the full marathon at the mo, but am considering swapping cos of an injury if it hasn't sorted its life out soon (in the next week or so).
  • Options
    On the RunOn the Run ✭✭✭
    All the indications are that it is a very popular half-marathon event with many being disappointed. I've just sent off my entry today.

Did a very slow 5 mile event today - a PW! - so I've got to get some serious training in over the Summer!

OtR
  • Options
    OtR, you prompted me to get my entry in. Plenty of time to work on distance and speed before September (there had better be!)
  • Options
    Well I'd better do something quick then. A calf muscle tear is still feeling tender and I don't think a marathon is called for this year really. I'm going to take a few weeks off running (but plenty of cycling) till mid July and then start training properly for this one. How do I break this to my marathon sponsors??? I'm sure they only gave me lots of money for the fun of watching me kill myself round 26.2 miles ...
  • Options
    On the RunOn the Run ✭✭✭
    Just looked at a suitable 10 week training schedule on the RW training pages at:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=97

So, I'll start this on 1 July!

OtR