Options

Edinburgh Marathon May 2007

Comments

• Options
    Wheyhey. 3.12.38. PB on last year by over 17 mins and 54 mins quicker than Rotterdam 6 weeks ago. Its amazing what some manky scottish weather can do for your time comapred to 36 degrees on sunshine!!! Just missed out on Boston qualy time but cant be disappointed at all. I actually ran inside 3.11 on garmin distance but a bit of bobbing and weaving and long curves put an extra 0.2 miles on my race. At least a 2 min PB in Berlin to qualify is less daunting than a 20 min effort.

What can you say about the race other than it was absolutely fab. The organistaion was brilliant this year and this should be the day when Edinburgh becomes a real big city marathon. Everything about this event was brill today and it is probably the best event I've entered. It takes a lot to knock the Berlin half off top spot!!!

Start was like clockwork. Pens and walk in worked really well and most importantly people were respectful of the other runners and started in their correct pens.

Water stations were excellent. No big gaps and actually more than I was expecting. Well stocked. Cant ask for more there.

Race route was nicer than last year. No industial estates, no loading bays, no derelict warehouses, no uphill finish. The wind was a killer at times but you cant blame the organisers for that. The only bit on the course I didn't like was that pointless 2nd wee loop after Gosford house. I couldn't see whay we didn't just go another 0.25 miles along the road we had already gone 16 miles down. Edinburgh city centre, pretty wee towns and scottish countryside was a perfect mix.

The finish was also great. There is something good about grandstand finishes in stadiums or race courses. It was good for spectators for shelter and as mum said it was great at 5 foot not very much to actually see over people and see me and Lizzy finish. Normally she is squinting between people. The cheer when you reached the flags was just great. There was a godd atmosphere amongst spectators as I waited for a friend to finish and MC keeping everybody clapping and cheering did a really good job to keep the crowd and in turn the runners going. I wouldn't go as far as to say it sparked a sprint finish but it certainly spurred me on to one last push.

A big thanks to Caroline Vevers (our forum friend) again for her common sense review of the entry system and the meticulous planning that must have been put into the race by her and her team. That was fab today well done.

Hope you all had as good a race as I did today. May not post for a while. I'm off to rest my weary limbs on the sittee for a while. My computer is upstairs and I dont fancy climbing them again this evening other than to go to bed. the furthest I'm going is the frige. There is beer, choclate, ice cream and pizza there. Its time to enjoy my unhealthy lifestyle again.
  • Options
    Steven MacSteven Mac ✭✭✭
    Well done Canniggia, that's a great time!

Also meant to mention "Wee" Col last time - I nearly didn't recognise on your perch! Thanks for the support
  • Options
    ScreamScream ✭✭✭
    Canniggia, hit the nail on the head. A very big improvement on last year, weather, organisation, course, water, lucozade etc etc etc.

A new PB of 3h40m and... this is the first marathon I've completed without any walk stops. Well chuffed with myself!

Knee didn't hurt the way I thought it would, but the "compression" seemed to start after five miles - no upper leg pain strangely, but knees and shins make up for that.

Came home, fell asleep and have just woken up! Got pizza on the way, and a can of 7up. Party at mine!
  • Options
    Well done everyone - greetings from Dunfermline 1/2 marathon thread...

Santababy, we could see Embra so maybe the weather was better over here!

• Options
    What a luvery luvery day, apart from standing in the pissing rain waiting for it to start and nowt no-body can do about that. Wind cost me bit of time, like every-body else but I'm well chuffed with 4.17.25, 20 mins quicker than I expected. Met Santa Baby first thenSelfish Git right at the start, 5,000 folk on Princes St and we're standing next to each other, Steven Mac storming ahead for home while I was heading fof Gosford (some house)Helena, and Wee Col doing a great job standing on a concrete block directing the runners. Loads of water, glucozade, marshals were lovely and the finish was great, felt like Paula Radcliffe. Me thinks I will be back next year. Now I'm away to drink a lot of alcohol. Hope you all had as good a time as I did.
  • Options
    Hey peeps, I had decided that I would just run slowly and see what happened, I had thought I would be in about 4.45 but it was around 5.09 I was so excited about my sprint finish that I forgot to stop my watch lol. I found it very hard in that wind! I personally prefer an 'in the city' race rather than scenery next to rough water lol.
    BUT I am happy and have no injuries and no blisters!!! A few tender toe nails, so we'll see what becomes of them! My back did get really stiff which I haven't had before.
    Yes I would have rather been quicker but for my first one I am glad I aired on the side of caution and didn't hit the wall lol

Well done on the PB's guys, terrific stuff.
    And well done to you Katypie for braving the weather and handing out water. The water and energy stations were ideally spaced out and plentiful. I also loved the finish but probably didn't take it all in though!!!
    Spotted Sanatababy on her way back making good time. Went to The Woodside but didn't see anyone so didn't stay. Took us an hour to get over that blooming road bridge on the way home!!
    Am showered now with a bottle of water and glass of wine ready to go watch last nights Grease is the word.

Well done everyone, it was an experience but I'm sure I'll do another one LOL Its actually all the training and LR's that put me off more than the thought of the actual race!!! I definately like half maras the best.
  • Options
    well done everyone!
    i saw amber skyes as she had her name on her back as she passed me but couldnt recognise anyone else- i aslo had to leaveearly so no pub cos wife and mum and dad were waiting for me

i was bang on schedule for the first half- was always 20yaerds behind the 3.45 pacers but then my achillies started to throb- made it over next 5 miles but then crumpled at gosford house. some lovely first aider came to my rescue and massged calf to loosen it off then i dug in and finished in 4.30- was 30 mins slower ofr 2nd half but just delighted to finish especially after all the problems i have had with achilles. and the £400 i raised for charity!

never again though!!- i loved it but the training is not my cup of tea- but i will be there next year as a relay runner with wife and pals.

organisation was brill- loads of water and energy stops- felt sorry for those with camelbaks as was no need really
    and what a finish- cramped up as i 'sprinted' home- spurred on by the graet crowd!

cheers guys your all stars
    WE DID IT!!!
  • Options
    Loved it - despite making a bad decision to look casually out to sea and receiving a face full of sand for my troubles. It's a good course for a pb, and I even liked the loops on the way back; mostly because they were short, so picking out a fit-looking person coming back the other way was a rewarding experience of "they're not that far ahead of me" rather than "wow, wish I was there".

Calves and knees gave me gyp around 24 miles, knocking me off 3:20 pace for the first time - apologies to anyone who had to watch me leaning heavily against a lamppost and relieving myself around 24 1/2, but that sorted me out and I got back on the pace to finish in 3:23. Great highlight was deciding that I couldn't be in much more pain and should chase the sprint finisher who came past me with 200m to go, cheered on by a Scots "you kin catch him, mate!". Which I didn't, but we got a great cheer. Totally chuffed, even if I can't walk now. Looking forward to some beer now!
  • Options
    Hi all, congratulations to everyone. Sounds like some great PB's out there. What a brill time Cannigia. :)
    I was the nutter who was shouting out as many of the guys names between about 14miles and 18/19miles. :D If someone had their name on their shirt, i tried to give them a shout!! Saw Smiffie and Amberskyes at about 18miles, as I was at 16. I think Amber got a wee shock as I hollered her name!! Hehe.
    I got just under 4:05 (on my watch) which is a PB by over 18minutes for me.
    Was great to meet a few of you in the hotel afterwards.
    Sorry I missed you at the end Poppy, was good to run with you so far. ;)
    On the wine now. I love running.
  • Options
    Well done Gillian thats a fantastic time, you go girl!!! :-) No wonder you're chuffed.
  • Options
    1st 16 miles I was 20 mins ahead of my 3-45 schedule. 46 mins at 6 miles and 1-41 at 13. Felt ab fab not probs at all. Then foot cramp leading to calf cramp legs dead despite gels and plenty of water. Asthma crap due to the wind..needing inhalers twice. didnt think i'd make it...
    3-35!!!! so its Ok got GFA and hopefully London next year.
    Poppy...I shouted at you!!!
    Didnt see anyone else. i had bandana on to keep earphones in place!! Makes me look like i have no hair!!!
    Now home. caravan was good but had NO sleep last night.
    Now on WINE AND CHOCOLATE!!!! HOORAY!!!
  • Options
    Molly, I saw you then. I was right next to Poppy and looked round! :D
  • Options
    Oh and that is an amazing time, bet you are well chuffed. :D
  • Options
    Absolutely delighted, target was to break 3.30...(last year managed 3.43) and for much of the race I was on 3.15 pace but tired badly in the last few miles, but still managed 3.19.14 which I am delighted with.

My thighs are so sore now and I had forgotten just how hard those last few miles are !
  • Options
    Well done you guys - our Club was marshalling between Cockenzie & Port Seton (12-13.5 & 21-22.3). I was the lemon on my perch shouting to people to watch out for the bollards before the Relay changeover and then moved up to Port Seton at the Lucozade station at the end. Recognized a few faces - Steven Mac, Gillian, Santababy, Bungee and a couple of jogscotland colleagues.

Without wanting to sound patronising, I thought you guys were brilliant. I have organized races but this was the first time I have marsahalled at a big event. It was great to give encouragement and get thanks back.

I stumbled across a quote from Dr George Sheehan who was a runner and a bit of a philosopher which you guys should remember the next time you do a marathon or struggle in a race "I have met my hero, and he is me". Well done to you all.

• Options
    I'd second Wee Col. I was at Mile 18 with the water, I was cheering you all on (girl in green goretex jacket) and you were all saying thanks and giving banter. Made me proud of you all.
  • Options
    Well done everyone ......have to agree the marshaling and organization was excellent ,just a pity the Edinburgh weather did not play along . I was on target for a 4.15 ,but kind of lost my sense of humour at mile 18 and so finished in 4.21 after a bit of walking
    Thanks to all the marshals and helpers at the numerous water stations ,you were all fantastic and provided much needed encouragement
  • Options
    Hi All. WELL DONE EVERYONE. Some absolutely fantastic times and we all made it.

I am well chuffed with 4hrs 17 - 4mins off my last pb. This was also my first marathon where I didn't walk at all. And now...I can't walk at all!!!

SB emailing you a photo my pal took - can't believe we were right next to each other coming into the racecourse and didn't even notice!!

Great to meet YP1, Soph and Helen at the pub - hope you made it back to town on the bus. Now off for a video, wine, chinese take out and a BIG bar of galaxy!

• Options
    Back home now. What a superb race. Everything worked really well and the route was excellent. Well done to all those PBs and first time finishers. For me it didn't work so well. Well on track for around 3:15 at 22 miles with the 3:15 ballon in sight about 200 yds ahead. Not feeling too bad, started with a 7:15 pace, but by 22 had dropped to a 7:45. Then massive cramp in left calf. Stopped me straight. Limped home at 3:35. 25 minutes off PB. Still the support along the way superb despite the rain and very well organised. No complaints.
  • Options
    Is there a thread to the results...??? Well done to all of you that ran!
  • Options
    Been injured and not run for 6mths. I have only done one marathon and that was in 2005.

The marathon came past my house and thought everyone did great, did my best to shout encouragement with my baby daughter in tow. We were just along the road from the racecourse.

Seeing you all is hopefully going to give me the inspiration I need to get back into it all.

Well done everyone!!!
  • Options
    Steven MacSteven Mac ✭✭✭
    Kevin - dn't think that the results are available online until Wednesday - they will be printed in the Evengin News on Tuesday though.

I'm really tired now - off to bed soon I think.

Well done everyone - some great efforts out there today!
  • Options
    Hello everyone, I've never posted on this thread before but just wanted to say congratulations to everyone, sounds like you all had a super race.

I was meant to be doing Edinburgh this year as my second marathon, but 3 weeks ago I got ITB problems and so had to pull out only a few days ago (my physio was convinced my ITB would clear up in time but it ditn't). I'm up in Edinburgh with my family as we'd already booked an apartment and flights, and have spent the whole time her on the verge of tears as I am totally gutted that I couldn't do the race (trained for 6 months and got myself the fitest I'd ever been, only for it all to come to nothing). I know it's ridiculous to be so upset, but you guys will all understand just how passionate we get about our marathons. Has been torturous being here and not being able to run, especially as it sounds like the race was superb in every way (organisation, weather, suppport), but I couldn't resist logging on to see how the race went for people.

I'll be back next year, but right now just feel very down. Still bravo to you all!
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Well done all.

Official clock time as I went through finish was 2.44.51. So I am now officially elite. Yayy!!
  • Options
    babu

snap, I know how you feel. would have been my 5th edinburgh and gutted. I went to hand out water, my ITB gone too

felt flat and cr*p for weeks

• Options
    Hello!!!!!!!!!

-well done everyone!!!

just about spot on with my prediction came in 3.55.30 on my watch.

That was fantastic!! pain never felt so good!!!!!!!!!-i have a black toe!

i heard you soph! and gave you a bit of a late wave!!- well done on your pb thats fantastic !
    i was actually running with gail force at that point -did for about 2 miles then my hip flexers seized up and she glided off looking great into the distance!(was great to meet you gail)

thanks for the encouragement miss katypie and for working away in that awful weather!

also saw santababy looking great....and a few other forum folks said hi!

molly amazing time-well done!

thats was one of the most fantastic days i ever had and i can see why its easy to get hooked on the marathon!!

just back form my mum and dads full of champagne wine and painkillers!

Sorry i didnt make it to the pub family had arranged for one of my kids to be dropped off at there house and we had to get back-walking to the car felt like climbing mount everest!!

Talk more tommoro - rest up &take care all amber xx

• Options
    Wow Running Bhoy, that rocks. Well done.

Babu and Little miss katypie, bad luck. Hopefully, you'll get to run next year I'm sure.
    Thanks for volunteering when you couldn't run katypie. :)
  • Options
    Soph thats really great that it was you. we were all listening to music so Poppy prob didnt hear me..it was her name on vest i noticed!!
    thats really really great I am SO pleased i saw you- even though i didnt know it was you at the time!!
    I cant believe how crap i felt...I'll be asking for advice as to what happened over the next few days. My legs are Ok now - son got a brill photo of me not being able to get out of the car at 1pm....1.02pm- in shower!! i'm fine now but will ache tomorrow. No work 'til tues.
    OK off to bed now - as i really had no sleep last night - even resorted to counting sheep- they died!!!

Well done everbody - not a bad day considering at caravan site in M/borough we were in mid-thunderstorm at 5.30am!!! Was that only this morning?!
  • Options
    Night Amber. Good mix of painkillers and Champagne! :)
  • Options
    LMAO Molly, sleep well.