Options

Short Stuff

Comments

• Options

Bring it on

We train therefore we kick butt

• Options

Justt back from my first non-stop 5 miles (well, I did have to walk towards the top of two hills to keep my hr down, but it was for no more than 20yds in total).  Target 151. average 146, max 157.  My most consistent run yet - but it took almost 90 minutes.

Target is FLM08 in less than 6 hours.

Well done at Dublin Mouse.

• Options

Well done Helegant. Hills might feel like b*ggers at the time but they're great really once you get into them. I relish a good hill so I do! Feel the flab flop off!!!

I might give this HR thingy a proper run for its money.

I'm too chicken to do a full mara in 2008 but I have been, ahem, coerced into doing Edinburgh 2009. image

What have I done???? 

• Options

Edinbugh is hilly though - you'll enjoy it image

Actually I quite like hills, just can't run up them at target HR...  yet.

• Options

Well done Hele for your non-stop run. I don't like hills much either, but they are good for you (apparently) image

Az - Edinburgh mara eh? You'll love it!!!! You know you want to! image

I've just had a carp run! Felt a bit 'off' by the time I left work, so decided that maybe the 9 miler in the dark wasn't such a good idea in case I flaked. I've developed a bit of a cough now image 

Hit the treadmill instead (we've got one at home) and had a rubbish run - 3.57 miles, 45 mins (ok 5 mins cool down so 40 mins 'proper' running) and my av HR was 138!! 138!!! That was doing 12:36 min miles!!!! A few weeks ago I ran 10:36 min miles with an av HR of 135!!!!!! When I did my 9 miles at 9:30 min miles it was only about 145!! Bliddy hell! Me thinks me not right somewhere! image

• Options

Nice one Helegant - That's the spirit!

90 mins is not a bad thing, 90 on your feet is good. No matter how far you went. Great work on the HR too. Just the ticket for London.

Azac - Your race pace should be around 4.45m/km? that's about 7.30mm pace.

If it's a busy race you'll loose time in traffic so about 4.40/km would be a good pace.

Now, your program will get you ready for that to feel comfy in terms of speed but the question for me is "can you keep it up?"

How would you feel about a slow 10 miler some time? Take your time and go very easy say 5.30 pace and see what your HR does after km 15.

• Options

Rest? Rest? Errrrr.... what's that then image

I'm just doing 'gentle' training this week until I'm properly better. I'll take my resting HR again in the morning just to see what's happening with it.

Hey, I did wear my new purple running shoes though! image

• Options
    Try and go an entire week without excercise.
  • Options

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Morning all - jobs to do today include reading back on this thread so I can comment appropriately.

• Options

sod the comment and witty repartee you little tease

I've had enough foreplay already, give me the race report!

• Options
    Morning smalls

<pokes Mouse> Race report!!!!!!

Stump, I did have a week off from training when I was poorly. In fact I think it was about 9 days!

Today we'll be going out on the bikes. It's a lovely day.
  • Options

I'm up for a run and a little cycle myself image

Did a spin class last night instead of cycling

I'm in bits this morning!

• Options
    Mouse - There is a XS planet-x full carbon bike for sale at under 2k on their clearout section.........
  • Options
    XS is too big for me image Probably be too big for Mouse too.
  • Options

I don't see how training 10k at 5:15/k is going to prepare me for 21k at 4:40.

Not sure about this here training thingy.

Chickened out the 6x1k last night (not me, the HSF) and we did 7k instead. My HRM didn't work cos the elastic's got a bit stretched and it didn't 'stick' properly. I'll tie a knot in it for tonight when we do the 6x1 and report back.

I watched Squish crossing the line at IM just before I left the office and had that image in my head the whole time. HSF had to keep pulling me back, 'hey, slow down!'.

LOL!

But I was inspired! 

Er.... 2k for a bike. Are we talking about money here? Are we talking about pounds sterling? Is that the sale price? image

No tris for the short one then!

But just in case - I'm 4'11''. Would an XS be too big for me? 

• Options

The size S(mall) is a 48 cm tube. I ride a 43 at the mo which is a bit small and prob the smallest adult bike size.

This is quite expensive for a bike but is a bargain

I imagine that the xs is close to this so should fit the ladies.

Depends on how much of you is leg - my inside leg is 74cm and I'm OK on the 48

---S(48)M(51)L(54)XL(57)

Seat Tube (mm) - Centre to Top

Actual Top Tube Length (mm) - Centre to Centre

Equivalent Top Tube Length (mm) - Centre to Centre

Chainstay Length (mm)

Seat Angle (deg)

Head Angle (deg)

BB Drop (mm)

Head Tube Length (mm)

Front Centre (mm)

Wheelbase (mm)

• Options

Azac - Do a 10 miler instead or another mini-8k run for your HR

Your HR over 1k intervals will be useful but not as useful as how your HR changes over constant time for durations longer than 1ok

• Options
    Oh dear God look at all those figures!!

Well done on the run Az. I'm glad my finish inspired you. Every time I'm feeling lazy or like last night, a bit 'off' I watch me crossing the line and think to myself "I want to do that again" so off I go and train. Best motivational aid I've ever had!!! image

I think an XS would be too small for you Az. I'm 5ft and I've got to have a custom made one, not for the height of the frame, but for the length of it. My current bike is only about 2cm too long for me, which sounds crazy, but I'm a little bit too stretched out on her and a lot of the time I tend to ride with my hands resting on the elbow pads of my tri bars, because it's more comfy. On all my IM pictures that's the position I'm in! When he set me up on the jig in the shop at the 'proper' size frame, I was astounded how much difference those 2cm made!So.....size is everything!!

And Az - don't encourage that Coops onto the Short thread - he's a lanky git! image
  • Options

Stump - I ride a 51 or a 52 but something isn't quite right.  I need to look into that stem thing you mentioned.

Squish - how is your resting HR at the mo?

What do you want in this report then?  Splits and stuff?

• Options

Start with how you felt, what you did etc

If you want to do splits and stuff - go for it, otherwise a narrative would be just great image

• Options
    Gosh Mouse, that sounds like a big frame for you!

Forgot to take my resting HR this morning!

....never mind all this small talk, get and do your report young lady!
  • Options
    Hi everybody. Welcome back Mouse and a HUGE WELL DONE on your marathon. I bet you are really pleased. What did it feel like to cross the line? That was brilliant, I’m so pleased for you. Yes, and hurry up and do a report!

Iron Squishy it doesn’t sound like you’ve recovered properly from being poorly yet. I wish I knew what my HR was when I ran. I must get one. I would be pleased with 12:36 min miles though! You are all too quick for me!

We’re all spooky here today. The only problem is I’ve got a long black skirt on because I’m dressed as a witch, and the heel of my boot caught in the hem when I was coming down the stairs at the hotel and I almost broke my neck. I’m waitressing tonight too, so that’ll be good, and hopefully extra tips, although it’ll be another late night and I started at my normal time this morning so I’ll be tired tonight. My neighbour is taking the dog out for me later, he’s such a help.

I went running last night and did laps on the lit road around my ‘loop’. I just ran at my ‘normal’ pace for the first lap to see how long it took me, which was 10:13. On my second lap I tried a bit harder and did 10:05. I think my 3rd lap was about 10:09 but I can’t remember, and my best one was 10:02. It was quite good, although if the people in the houses saw me they would have thought I was mad because I just kept running past. I need a stopwatch or something that will record each lap I do, because I forget, and if I end up doing 6 or so laps I’ll never remember all the times. I found it really good to do and it made me try, which I don’t really do much, when I run I just tend to plod along in my own world. I still didn’t go flat out though because although it’s lit, the bit in between the lights is still quite dark. I’ll have to wear my head torch. I’d like to bring the times down to under 9 minutes. I think I might do this once a week. I’ve estimated the distance at ¾ of a mile, but I might ask my brother to measure it on his bike again. I guess the distance doesn’t really matter much though, but I like to know so I can write it in my log. I was absolutely boiling hot when I’d finished, then I just jogged slowly back up the cul-de-sac to my house to cool down (and did all my stretches Azac)!

Me and my neighbour are going to a bonfire party on Sunday. I can’t wait. My ex boyfriend never used to want to go because they were boring, but I’m a big kid and I love fireworks night. Ian said he’s the same, so we’re going. I love the smell of them and the hotdogs and things. I really like Ian, I don’t care he’s gay, we get on really well and have a laugh. I think I’ve found a new friend. He’s invited me for dinner at the weekend too, so that’ll be nice.
    Tomorrow is November and it’s then only 29 days to my birthday! Not that I’m counting LOL.

I hope you all have a lovely evening and don’t get too many trick or treat people. At least I’ll be at work so I’ll miss them. Bye bye x
  • Options
    Hi Hattie. Nice to see you. I wondered where you were yesterday.

Well done on your run. You need to get a HR monitor that does laps, then you can keep count. Mine does laps and it's easy, you just hit a button at the start of your next lap and it records them all.

I love fireworks too, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. Does your dog mind them?

We don't have any trick or treaters round by us, fortunately we live sort of nowhere so people don't venture that far down the dark road! I hope you have a good time, sounds fun at work. Mind your skirt though!
  • Options

Hi Hattie

The interesting thing about loops is that you can measure yourself against yourself.  So if you did several of those loops and your times only varied by a small amount per loop it shows a consistency to your running pace, which is a good thing.

I might go and hide at the gym tonight.

Now, this race report, you know I tend to be a more emotional than rational, yes?

• Options

Right then here goes…

I didn’t sleep well Saturday night as was flying out on Sunday morning.  I think I was grateful for the extra hour in bed.  I found the expo very well organised and good fun, met up with my friends and stuff.  Strangely though, I didn’t sleep as badly as I thought I might on Sunday night and I managed to shove down some food for breakfast on Monday morning.  It was all strangely surreal.  After a hug to see off Nutty Runner to the faster end of the start, I stood reasonably quietly (for me) on the line with forumite Lady Sue and eventually I worked out who I was and what I was doing there and I was rather more excited than I was nervous.  I wonder if I wasn’t fully conversant with what was about to happen. I was sick of hearing about not starting too fast and it all being in the last six miles.  The only downside was that I was cold, I wish I had put my gloves on and taken a t-shirt and not just a bin bag.  The only thing that was worrying me was what pace I should be aiming for.  I simply had no idea at all.  I really wanted to do 5hrs to 5.15 so I was hoping for 11.45 – 12/m

Naturally, I started too fast.  I meant to bring my Garmin for this in to give some splits but I think miles 1-3 were all 11.30-12 with a few miles heading far too close to 11/m, one was even below it.  I did try to slow down but it felt so slow.  I pretty much gambolled around chatting to people, I saw many fellow forumites, who stopped to say hello before making their way past (pirate kit works).  I was still cold and as I frolicked towards the 10-11 mile mark I’m ashamed to say I picked up a pair of discarded gloves that were on the course and put them on, I also stopped for some Vaseline for my lips.  I took my gels every 45 mins (although I didn’t really want them) and skipped gaily past the 13 mile marker at 2.35ish.  This was looking pretty good. Then it all just went downhill.
  • Options

Looking back, I can’t pinpoint it very clearly.  Somewhere between 16-18 miles I realised the enormity of what I was doing.  Suddenly it all started to feel very, very uncomfortable.  I’m afraid to say that I felt very small, meek and worthless.  I was a short, fat woman, I shouldn’t have been there, what was I thinking?  I want to stop.  How do I stop?  I don’t expect they’ll let me have a medal if I stop?  Someone please talk to me, I’m scared and I’m lonely.  This wasn’t an entirely useful process.  My legs wouldn’t work.  At first, I was cross because my chest was working just fine.  Top half Tarzan, bottom half pain.  So I walked for a bit, and then ran for a bit but I couldn’t believe how fast I was running for legs that were hurting so much.  I managed that for about 10 minutes.  I can’t tell you how long I waddled and shuffled for, I also has a bit of a wobbly bottom lip.  Eventually I decided that I could walk the remaining distance but it was take ages, I looked a bit of a twerp in my lycra and I would get cold therefore the fastest way around this problem was to run/walk.  I think I managed to ‘just run to the next mile marker’ once or twice.  Then I tried 10/1 that didn’t work, 10/2 wasn’t much better.  So I dropped it right down 5/1 or 5/2 but with the odd 6/7/8 when I saw markers.  I remained quite surprised at the reasonable pace at which I would actually run, when running.  At 22 miles I saw light.  A few more of these run/walks would pass a few more miles and it would soon be over – so the 6/7/8s crept in.  At 25 miles there was the most amazing woman in the crowd who came right out and patted me on the shoulder and told me I was great, as did the marshall just a few yards in front of her.  So that was it, the old bottom lip trembled again.  I was determind to run the last mile but I didn’t even have that in me.  I gave it my best effort but still had to walk for a bit in the middle.  I ran the last 0.2 though, as fast as I bloody well could.

At the end I called a friend on the phone and wailed for ages.  It remains the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. 

Now comes the odd part.  I don’t ‘feel’ anything.  Everyone around me is chuffed to pieces, my best friend says she is totally in awe of me.  One of the girls at work had a tear in her eye today.  I’m better than all those who sit on their sofas eating pizza.  All I can think about is that really horrible bit in the middle and what I have to do before London to not feel like that again.