Options

25th Team Strides Lochaber Marathon

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    CT - I think I've only ever done three 100+mpw before, but I need to train my legs to run on tired legs for the 10 in 10.
  • Options
    10 in 10 I take its 10 marathons in 10 days, when and where is it?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Windermere 9th to 18th May inclusive.  Hasn't yet been completed by a woman, there are 3 women entered for 2008image
  • Options
    Windermere area is very pretty, I am sure you will make it. 
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Shades - I'm planning to be there to do the last one to give you a bit of moral support.
  • Options
    Training has been going well.  Thankfully stayed clear of the bugs and sickness that is going around.  Long runs now upto 18 miles.  Aiming to do a few of these in January before upping it to 20 in February.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

DR - you are doing well.

FR - what's the definition of a mere?

Roobs - I'm so pleased you'll be there on my last day, I'll need all the support I can musterimage

• Options

I think there is only one lake in the whole of scotland.

• Options
    Lake of Menteeth, not sure of the spelling, its near Aberfoyle.
  • Options
    Good luck Shades, you are mad but do it for the girls. Very impressive. We have a man made lake at Stirling University, does that count? Real ducks and swans on it? You have a good time in Scotland fellrunner over the festive?
  • Options
    Fellrunner, nowt to do with Lochaber but whats the best way to go about getting my first off-road shoes? Don't really know where to start.
  • Options

Mrs Mac Loondod from scottish thread gave us this site that had cheap ones. Ones i like none of my size left tho.

http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.asp?CatID=107&BCat=435,107&rootcatid=435&searchstring=&brand

• Options

I got a pair of those cheap (£20) montrails and quite like them, I just ordered a different pair for Mrs A today. I'll report back if she likes them !!

http://www.rockrun.com/products-Galactic-W's_CO-FO-WGAL.htm

I have bullied her into the Elgin 10k at end of March so will need to get her fitted for road shoes soon as well .

Adbru 

• Options
    Thanks folks. It was mainly just trails at the moment and see how it goes. image
  • Options

Starting to get a bit down now....

Haven't run in over a week thanks to this flu-like virus, still nowhere near right so that's at least two out of my three 'longer' runs missed. Was starting to get back in to my training after suffering from plantar fasciitis, then started my schedule, got one week in to it and now I'm floored. Last week should have been 7m and this week 5m (stepback week) - my worry is now that I'll have to do 9 - 10m by the time I'm ready to run again but afraid I'll get injured again with trying too far too quickly.

Considering shifting my goals for this to just getting round and using it as a (very) LSR and try for a more successful run in Edinburgh at the end of May (was going to be the other way round!).

• Options
    Hi debstir. Cheer up. Happens to the best of us. I'm sure you can rejig training schedule. I'm trying to get in over 35 miles a week at mo but 9 miles of it i think so far so may have to cram it in tomorrow if I can. 
  • Options
    Take it easy getting back to running Debstir with the PF. As a fellow sufferer I can sympathise.  Thats not a bad goal, The Lochaber Marathon is a very nice LSR image
  • Options

My PF is almost completely healed as I took a month off at the end of last year, really helped (but didn't think so at the time!). Have also used the frozen bottle of water to ice and massage it, I think that helped a lot.

• Options

Hi everyone,

Decided to go with Abingdon training plan from last year shades as it looks like it will fit in better with my current fitness and child care.

training has began and really enjoying it.  Youngest now in playgroup twice a week for 2 hours - which means foxxy and i have 4 hours every week with NO children . . . . . . training heaven !!.

• Options

Hi Guys,

Destir, hang in there- I was panicing about being fit for Lochaber as well due to my shins. Took three weeks out and now following a "get me round" plan to try and take training easy......only prob is i'm finding it to easy and am extending the early runs !! lol.
    Sunday was supposed to be a 90 min "ramble" but turned into a 9 mile LSR (7 by myself and then collected Mrs A for her 2 mile LSR).

Yesterday was far too slippy for a run so will go out later come hell or high water (currently snowing!)

Thinking about the Caol 10k in Fort William on Feb 10th.... anyone else going ??

Karen- 35 miles sounds great image , I managed a 20 mile total last week (week3 of training). I'm enjoying it but not finding it easy going.

Adbru 

• Options
    How's shins doing now adbru? Managed a 14 miler today, 6 on road, 8 off road. Very wet and muddy. That's 2 5 milers and todays so biggy on sunday again hopefully.
  • Options

Hi all,

I'm running this one this year, but have some family coming along to cheer me on. Looking at the map I can't see how they can be anywhere except right at the start and finish - what is the support like en route and any hints for where my family could drive out to see me?

Thanks, and good luck with the training everyone!

• Options
    Ruth they could drive out the route of the marathon as the road isn't closed for this race.  Plenty of folks do it and they tend to stop in the various laybys and openings along the main road.  Prehaps a drive out along the route the day before to find some suitable places.  Remember though that cars will be travelling slowly and they maybe held up at times getting back to the finish.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Ruth,  I did this mara last year ....but least said about that the better!

Tthere is lttle support along the way, and almost non-existent on the way back by the time I got to the last 5 miles (I was rather slow).  But there were little gatterthings here and there and some badly needed support from Nessie a couple of times.  My main support came from Debster and Woj who must have clocked up several miles driving up and down the course giving me lots of encouragement and making sure I didn't stop.  The road isn't closed and there are a few lay-bys along the way for cars to stop or they can try to stop near the water stations (which again were non-existent in the last 2 miles)

Good luck.