Options

Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

Comments

• Options
    Steve, I don't really know that area other than passing through on my booze runs to Stromstad, although I was in Halden a few months ago on business.   Unfortunately the Forest Marathon is the same day as the Tromsø run so I won't be able to do it.  I'm starting to think my off road running days might be over, my ankles just couldn't take it this year.  There is also the Sentrumsløpet in May which I did last year http://www.sentrumslopet.no/  it was ok.  Christmas dinner in Oslo is ok so long as someone else is paying, I'll no doubt be dragged out soon and forced to eat Lutefisk much to the amusement of my Norwegian collegues.
  • Options

Let me know if you ever want to visit the Institute for Energy Technology's branch in Halden image Didn't realise the clash of dates between Oslo forest and Midnight Sun mara because I'm just planning next year. I did find the forest mara very pleasant in 2008 - mostly on fire trails or country park-type trails so it wasn't too hard on the ankles. I do think they exaggerate about the hills on the website!

Depends how off-road you mean, as regards ankles. Halden in known in the orienteering world, but I'd agree that definitely is rough on the ankles. So is wearing spiked shoes over ice/snow in winter. But OTOH they keep strong on good-quality fire trails if one doesn't overdo it, I find. Comes in handy for standing one one leg for tieing shoe-laces image

Didn't know about the Oslo centre run - I'll take a look at that but I was thinking of Prague again in May since I know someone who lives there. I don't eat that buried fish shite but I have a good excuse because I'm vegetarian. I don't normally go to the traditional xmas dinner do's but it's our works 60th anniversary and my mrs is head of research in her area so I have to go image

If people can't make the midnight sun or polar night runs or any of the others we mentioned but'd like to try Norway, there's a list here. It's a bit out of date but most of the links or search terms should be good.

• Options

I thought ratfisk was the buried one, although lutefisk might well have been from the smell.  Doesn't look anything like that, looks more like a bit of jellied fish - which I suppose is exactly what it is.

I'm familiar with the IFE although I didn't know they had a nuclear research place at Halden.  I spent a while at Harwell in the UKAEA days which did enough to convince me that research wasn't for me.

I see from the list there was a marathon at Fredrikstad in October which is close to you, do you know if its any good.  May be an alternative to Oslo as I don't really like that route.  

• Options
    Sorry - you must be right - I'm not good on fish. Re Fredrikstad mara this picture and website from a year or two ago give you an impression. To me it looks nice but is a small field - this year about 75 men and 8 women. It's more of a local club do. I did the half there once in early spring and it tends to be filled with keen types and I was quite a way down the pack. I remember seeing a lot of people from Oslofjord tri club, for example. The scenery looks nice though.
  • Options
    Thanks, looks like the races I used to enter in the UK years ago when 100 was considered a pretty big field.  Maybe worth a go if I can stay injury free next year, I can use the Oslo Half as a warm up.  I was looking for a spring half as I'm doing the dead sea marathon in april but I see Fredrikstad was on the 6th of April last year which is probably too late for me.  I don't think I'll find anything local in march unless I strap on a pair of cross country skis.
  • Options
    Sorry meant rakfisk, that's the buried one.  Saw it in the supermarket tonight, I actually tried it last christmas along with Lutefisk and whale (how can you be less pc) but not all at the same meal.  I was actually a vegetarian for about 13 years up till a couple of years ago, one of the reasons I gave up was because I liked fish so much - somehow I don't think that would have happened if I'd been in Norway.
  • Options
    Have any of you started your training yet? I have been very remiss.image
  • Options
    Don't ask.  My come back fell apart last Friday when I hurt my knee - I'm still on crutches at the moment.image
  • Options

Oh dear JF.

I had flu then work has been a mare so haven't got going again since GNR really.

Am lucky to do one run a week at the moment and there aren't many marathon plans based on one run a week.

I have decided to up the ante from this weekend - though that will be on the back of 5 nights out on the bounce as of Sunday morning.imageimage

• Options

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, enjoy christmas and new year.  You'll still have over 5 1/2 months of training before Tromsø.  This isn't the best time of year to kick off a marathon training schedule

I'm not sure about the knee as I can't get the swelling to go down - hence the crutches.  I'm still hopeful it isn't too serious and I'll be running again this year.  No problem for June but I'm a bit concerned about Jordan in April.

First party is tomorrow night - that'll be a laugh, just hope I don't lose the crutches.

• Options

Not the best time of year to kick off a mara schedule JF? You'r enot kidding. Absolutely ZERO motivation here.

Got out for just over half an hour last night and felt slow, heavy legged and awkward. Lot to do.

• Options
    Hoping to do this too, doing my first half in February.
  • Options

Hi RunRun.....

I'm sure you'll enjoy it ,it's in a hell of a setting.Norway is amazing.

• Options

Coming in very late, but I was thinking of doing Tromso as I like runs which are a bit different. But 2 things are making me think again:

1. The temperature - looks like you're running at about 3-5 degrees C, which is way below my body temperature.

2. I saw some postings on another web which talked about putting nails in the shoes to prevent slipping on the ice. The alternative is ice shoes. Someone tell me that was a wind up?

• Options

Hi Argie,It could be someone is pulling your leg over this.I am sure JF will back me up on this.I am not saying the temp doesn't drop,I don't know.But when we ran this year the temperature was a very pleasant 13 degrees,we had a litle bit of rain but it was not cold.I have not heard of it getting too much colder at that time of the year,as for the ice on the road,no chance.It was absolutely fine.I don't know enough myself about Norway to say that would never happen,however I train with a guy from our running club who has done this before as he is in the marines,and at no stage did he say it gets that cold in June or did he say watch out for the ice.He gave me all the advice under the sun about this race and the those 2 thngs were never mentioned.You will be fine.I am afraid your second statement is someone having a laugh at your expense.You will love this race it is well supported,and for a more obscure it is still fairly well known amongst the running fraternity.The prize giving in the SAS Radisson hotel was really well done,next time I wouldn't mind staying there.

Definitely the most picturesque  race I have run yet.Good Luck

• Options

Many thanks for that kiwiscanfly. I thought it was a windup, but with the temps as low as that, (which could have been in the Circle), I wondered. Anyway, your comments make me more determined to try it.

Thanks again

• Options

Hi Argie,  I would agree with kiwi the weather this year was very pleasant, the average daily max for June is around 12 deg C.

The posts about ice shoes are probably about the polar night half marathon in January - same organisers and website as the midnight sun marathon.

http://full.storm.no/aftenposten/vaer.aspx?lat=69.65&lon=18.96&m=1012&sted=Tromsø  Average conditions are at the bottom of the page.

• Options

Good luck for 2009 to all those of us doing this. My training started this week with a pants 36 minute plod. Felt like a hippo with a bad hangover.

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Who is deffo doing this one so we can have a roll call?

• Options
    No training since I started last week! Starts with club run tomorrow.image
  • Options

Hi Blithburysloth,

I'll definitely be in Tromsø although who knows what distance I'll be running.  My knee is a lot better and hopefully I can try running again in a few weeks so I'm still aiming for the marathon. 

Good luck with the training. 

• Options
  • Options
    Blithburysloth wrote (see)

... Who is deffo doing this one so we can have a roll call?

Sorry, I think I'm more likely to do the Oslo Forest marathon, which I believe is on the same day
  • Options

Hey JF/Steve C

JF - I have started but slowly but surely... 3 short runs so far this week. 

• Options

Hey Blithsburysloth,

Thought it was about time to resurrect this thread as its now less than 20 weeks to go. 

How's the training going, are you coping with the arctic weather the uk seems to be getting at the moment.  I've managed a few jogs but still a bit away from doing any real training, not helped by cracking a rib falling off my bike on the ice a fortnight ago.  I suppose the next few weeks will decide if I will make the marathon or not as its now over two months since I hurt my knee and I'm starting to feel that time is running out.

• Options

Howdo folks, I know I'm jumping in a bit late here but I really want to make the MSM my first marathon. I'm trying to work out travel arrangements before i register however.

At the moment flights from Heathrow seem to be the cheapest with least changes, which is a bit of an arse as I live in Cheshire. So I might have to plan in a stopover near Heathrow the night before and after the flight.

If anyone from up north is planning on making the trip, any suggestions on routes etc would be greatly appreciated.

• Options

Hi Michael,

Norwegian fly direct from London to Tromsø, Gatwick I think.  Other than that you will probably have to stop in Oslo, only direct UK flights that I have seen to Oslo are from London, Manchester, Edinburgh or Aberdeen. 

• Options

Thanks JF

Norwegian fly from Gatwick on the Saturday morning of the race, landing in Tromsø at 14:30.

Is this long enough to prepare for the race does anyone think? Or should I be aiming to arrive the day before? Apologies if I sound over-cautious but it's going ot be my first marathon image

:

• Options

Personally I don't see it being a problem.  I arrived on the Friday last year and spent Saturday doing touristy things with my family, I ended up being on my feet for about 6 hours and walking miles.  Not the best preparation for a marathon.

This year I'm flying on the Saturday.

• Options

Michael E - I am going from Newcastle - can't get much further North than thatimageimage.

Only way to do it for me was with norwegian and I get there the Saturday afternoon which I am a bit perturbed about because I am worried what will happen if there is a problem with the flight etc...

My 16 week mara plan starts today and I am NOT up for it.image

• Options
    Michael Escolme wrote (see)
    Norwegian fly from Gatwick on the Saturday morning of the race, landing in Tromsø at 14:30.
    This is the flight I am getting Michael.