• Options
    just short abot 3 miles but with about 1000ft of climb
  • Options
    catagory AS

S = Short (S,M,L)
    A = Lots of climb (A,B,C)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of climb for a short race :O)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    He just likes to boast coz his hills are bigger than mine.
  • Options
    you guys want to try some of the munro's as they offer all types of terrain in an ever changing environment.
    O'h they are also quite steep.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Where are the munro's?

My problem is I live too far away from most of the real fell races.
  • Options
    The Scottish munros are any hill over 3000ft. Not all of them are steep (but i guess thats a matter of opinion!) Carrying a map and compass is fine just make sure you know how to use them. The weather can change very quickly in the Scottish hills and its easy to get caught out.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You're lucky to have what sounds like such a beautiful place to run!
  • Options
    I feel like the luckiest runner on the planet!! Within an hours drive of my house I have 4 athletics tracks, flat woodland trails, beaches with sand dunes and some of the highest mountains in the UK. Hmm there must be a downside.........lets see........oh yes the Scottish weather!!!!
  • Options
    What is it with hills and weather ? They seem like magnets to rain, wind and snow.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I love the area I live in for running. It's not got the mountains, but I've got some lovely coastal routes close by that can be quite challenging and scenic.
  • Options
    I ran the Brecon to Merthyr Roman Road Race last Saturday. Although not a fell race, it was a hard 18 mile race across the Brecon Beacons, and although hard, was enjoyable.
  • Options
    I had to pass on 'Passing Clouds', I'm afraid - I've got some nasty chest bug that's going around.

I remember going to the Brecon Beacons when I was in my early 20's, a smoker and completely unfit. We did a 20 mile walk that climbed an incredibly steep hill (pen y something ?) that had what seemed like a 45 degree slope that went on for what seemed like a mile. Fantastic views from the top though.
  • Options
    Tom, Hope you get over your chest bug soon. It's Pen Y Fan and yes it is a fantastic view from the top, if you are lucky enough to be on to when it is not covered in cloud. Then you cannot even see your hand in front of your face. My of my training runs starts from Storey Arms, on the A470, up Corn Du, Pen Y Fan, Cribbin, then down the Roman Road into Brecon. The race last Saturday followed the Roman Road through the Beacons, so did not go up any of the peaks. The first 6 miles was all up hill, starting at 130 metres above sea level, to 599 m at the highest point. Then 12 miles downhill to Merthyr, with some nice uphill sections to make it intersting.
  • Options
    Richard, I must admit to being more than a little envious of your training run! Did the BB fell race a few weeks ago and from my rear-of-the-field position (114 out of 135) thoroughly enjoyed my day on the hills - views were fantastic, heat was extreme, and of course it takes us over all the tops (and then some more!). Is it my imagination or has the erosion around the summits got noticeably worse since I last did the race perhaps four years ago?
  • Options
    I think you are correct, the erosion does seem to be getting worse. I used to work at the Storey Arms Outdoor Centre, on the A470 at the base of Pen Y Fan some 20 years, then there is a gap betwen then and this year, but over that 20 year period erision has become considerably worse. I drive the A470 to work every day and it seesm that the car parks along the A470 have been packed all summer. Seems more people than ever are visiting the area. I guess one attraction is that the summit of Pen Y Fan is so close to the road, so is accessible to many more people than say Cader Idris, Snowdon or Ben Nevis.

• Options
    Looks like the new inov-8 mudroc is beating the competition. Since its launch in July it has been the shoe used by the winner of a number of major fell races this summer, including the Snowdon Fell Race, Wales, Scotland and England qualifiers for the World Trophy and a number of other major national and international events.
  • Options
    As I've said before, I am more than happy with my inov8's. Had them for 6wks now, had a few pains in the beginning around the shins and calves but now I've got used to them I wouldn't want to use any thing else. Still haven't had much of a chance to use them in really wet conditions, but have been impressed with their performance on hard stoney terrain as well as soft earth. Can't wait to try them on my first ever race in October (weavers off road half marathon)
  • Options
    Good luck for the Weavers in October moor man
  • Options
    We're in danger of being pushed down off the front pages by these triathletes - maybe we should have our own version of 'how far can we go' but at fellrunning pace the answer is probably not so far, but in a far more enjoyable way!

Agree about the inov-8's - did a 8m multi-terrain race on Sunday in them, very dry underfoot of course but they were great - far better than the occupant.

Any of the fell-running community going to be at the fell relays in Church Stretton on 18 October? My club, City of Bath AC, are entering for the first time since 1994, to show that even us southern softies can do a thing or two on the hills!
  • Options
    Unfortunately I will not be at Church Stretton. Signed up to do the Worcestershire Beacon Race on 11 Oct, Beachy Head Marathon on 25 Oct and then a fell race in North Wales on 6 Nov. Hopefully get a chance to try my inov-8 in some mud at one of them.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your first race Moor Man. Is this your first race ever or first race ever off road?
  • Options
    Oh Ho

Just found this thread. Never been to this forum before.

Nice to see that there are a few fell runners here.

I'm in the Derwent Valley/South Pennines area.

Anyone else in this neck of the woods ??
  • Options
    Welcome Fell Running. I am based in the Brecon Beacons, so sorry, quite a way from your neck of the woods
  • Options
    hilly, I haven't raced on the road or off road before, infact it's about 18 months since I last ran with anyone else! so I have no idea whether I run at a decent pace or not (for a race) I am really starting to get excited about it, maybe 14 miles off road for my first race is a bit ambitious, but I'm already thinking of my first marathon being off road (possibly yorkshire 3 peaks)
  • Options
    I'm after a bit of advice, I have just received some insoles (full strike) and because I have waited for a month for delivery they have thrown in a power bar aswell. Does anyone use these and if so before, during or after? I'm thinking it will be good fuel for my 2hrs running up t'moors on my usual sunday morning?
  • Options
    Power bars are a hard tchauve as we say in the NE of Scotland, best eaten after I would say cos they take a fair bit of chewing, good exercise for the jaw!