Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

I'd never be able to pass as a Man U fan: I can't do a home counties accent and I've been to Old Trafford.

Got to love these cold baths.  No leg problems - I've been positively sprightly this afternoon/evening.

• Options

14 miles for me. Had to walk the last mile back to the car as my little stumpies refused to walk another step.image Think I ended up going out a bit faster than I normally do on my LSR cos there was a gentle downhlll gradient for a bit the first few miles . Was nearly 2kph slower on the way back. Ended up doing the same time as before -as I did the exact same route  2 weeks ago ; but much more comfortably then. Wish I knew what makes the difference between everything going right and most things going wrong on a run. Some runs I come back dry and comfortable and feeling perky and spritely and others I am soggy to the knees, tired and in pain and really slow. Fingers crossed that it will all come right on the day.

Held each stretch for about 2 mins each post run , and am going to stretch the bejaysus out of the legs for the next 6 weeks and hopefully it will help. next runs will be in the Uk. Do I need snowshoes in London?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    You deserve that chocolate orange, Running Rodent.Running definitely changes your shape and I think that change is more significant than fluctuations in weight.You'll be like a whippet, by April.
    Talking about whippets...

No sale, LeedsR. I'm never going to get into a cold bath...

14 miles is 14 miles, Fizz.More than half-way there.You'll do much better on the day than 8 -weeks -before -and -in- the- cold image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

atm yes it's the paris 10k at Vincennes. Probably be there unless it snows again overnight. If you know somebody running look out for the Olney vest and say hello.

Nite all & sweet dreams..... 

• Options

Thanks guys for the Garmin advice, I had forgotten about the Auto Pause... i set my watch up so long ago I have did not even know I had it on!

Fizz- I think we all have those days, just keep doing it and it will get easier.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Good luck, tomorrow, OlneyOne .Fabulous red-carpet Finish image Take photos.
  • Options

Good luck OlneyOne..fingers crossed for nice weather.

Ah, Fizz, I am sorry to hear it did not go well for you today.  I honestly don't think there is any logic, I think some days it just goes better than others.  You have probably done nothing wrong, and it could be 101 things..if it's any consolation, 90% of my runs (even the shorter ones) are hard work, and not far off what you described!  I am not what you would call a natural!

You are well ahead on mileage Fizz, so I would not worry about it too much.

Good advice on the Garmin...I don't really need the autopause on anyway, as if I stop for a while I tend to press "stop" anyway...doh!

LOL Rob, do you like prawn butties too?image

• Options

Tsk Leeds Rob! I was born and raised 1 mile from Old Trafford!

But...I feel your pain.

Did I say that Cantona and Ferdinand are undoubtedly my favourite ever Utd players image

• Options

Ian-Ex - (aka Hudds Dave) - spot on! Yes, the auto-pause makes all the sense in the world.  Will double check ours (got fed up of MrsTD fiddling with my settings so we got another - Amazon has been seeling the 305 for £129 for over a year now).

FizzioFinn - the way you describe it, it sounds like you are following your schedule really well.  Some runs are supposed to leave you feeling utterly knackered and broken down and others are designed to freshen you up.  Well done - you will get the rewards for your effort.

Does anyone else find that the insert image >  from your computer, script on this forum is not working? I keep getting a completely wrong screen come up, no difference if using Firefox or IE. Weird.

• Options

Fizz - that's the luck of the draw.  Could be anything - disturbed sleep, weather, pre-occupied with other things, pain, tired legs, not enough to drink, diet the day before, having a slight cold etc - that lead to a bad one.  Some days everything just drops into place, other days it doesn't.  But they'll all do you good.

Johnny - it'd be Johnny Giles and Strach for me.  The less said about Lee Sharpe the better.

Hudds/RP/TD - I keep auto-pause off and just press stop/start if I need to.  Otherwise its forever switching itself off and on whenever I go under a bridge.  Seems way too sensitive.  I guess in Paris the only problem is it'll under measure the distance slightly when it comes out of a tunnel (draws a straight line to where it last had signal) but my experience in 2007 was that the Garmin measured the distance as over 27 miles anyway.  Its normally incredibly accurate and consistent (I run the same route most runs) so I assume that was from all the little detours, going wide round bends, to drinks stations etc that deviated from the blue line and added up over 26.2 miles.

Today its a bit of cross training and light weights at the gym for me.

• Options

I have just broken into my neighbours house and murdered the entire family as they slept?

Am I overtraining?

• Options

tut.. tut.. tut.. Mr P..   didn't your mother tell you that breaking other people's property is not acceptable behaviour.... 

• Options
    Redpanda wrote (see)

DV...that was a VERY early post from you?  Did you set off just after then?   I am guessing so, to be in Manchester form 9am.  You should have popped in to see me, am just off the motorway too!  Safe travelling anyway.

Where are you then, RP ?   I made excellent time..  put the car on cruise at 62 mph at got 70mpg average for 510 mile round trip..  did the whole journey on one tank of fuel..  I do sometimes worry that I may be growing up when I get so pleased about such things......  image  

When I grow up I want to be one of the Top Gear presenters and have fun..!! 

• Options
    So.. running..  I am really impressed by the times and speeds you people are doing..  some truly brilliant progress being made and Paris is going to be a doddle for most people here...    I think I might even try to get out later and have a run too..  Mrs DV is out this morning, but when she gets back I might go for a run... 
  • Options

Good morning!

Yes, I see the point of what people are saying about the Garmin.  I am sure you are right now, and the clock will keep ticking.  Excellent...now I can see whether I am 5 hours 10 or 20 LOL!

DV...Running?  NO WAY?!  LOL!  Am in Cheshire, but just off the motorway, just off junction 20 on the M6 (I think!).  You did really well to do it on one tank of fuel....do you have a very economical car?

Oh....just "looking" around at other marathons later in the year, and to combine with a holiday...and I discovered.....erm...Chicago!  It's on around the time of my birthday too, so I thought "Cool"!  I think Brandy has done it, and loved it, does anyone else have any views on it?  Anyone else interested?  I have always fancied going to Chicago for a holiday anyway, so I thought we could go for a week or something........................................

And yes, I am getting ahead of myselfimage!

RP

Mr P.....I think you might be overtraining...just a tad!

• Options

RP..  I probably drove passed your house...!  image   I have a Mini diesel.  Brilliant car - would totally recommend it.

You are so funny..  a few weeks ago you had doubts about your ability to run Paris, and now you are brimming with confidence and looking around for another one.  Fantastic!    I've been to Chicago, but not done the marathon.  I don't know how easy it is to get in, but apparently it is one of the worlds biggest and best and really good.   Go for it..!  image

• Options
    snow here this morning so out for a short run , 6 miles , if i can stay on my feet
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    'morning, all.

RP, how are you going to explain to Mr. RP that all your holidays for the foreseeable future will be planned around the International Marathons calendar?

It's freezing, here...Really, it's even too cold to snow.The water in the field drains has frozen over.There's ice at the edges of all the burns. 12k for us, this morning, with every breath a shock to the lungs. Anyone else find running in ' dry' cold far harder than in rain, however icy?
  • Options

Morning all

I symphathise with fizz, there is nothing worse than having a bad run when you are thinking that each one should be an improvement on the last or even easier. It is totally demoralising, as it has happened to me a few times. I now think positive if it happens and blame it on one of many things as Rob said, and it is usually the case. After all this training we have to remember "WE ARE GETTING BETTER"

Rob...... whats wrong with Lee Sharpe, thought you might have picked out Alan Smith

Nice advice on the Garmin, at least i will know what to expect in Paris. Will leave mine as it is and be happy to finish around the time i set out to do. At the end of the day it will be my PB.

RP....Chicago?  Why not.

• Options

ATM..easy...give him the chance to do it too!  Ha...he looked pensive there for a minute....I know he has not got the commitment though!.....Yes, I hate cold weather running, I can't breathe, it's awful.  Though compared to you up there, I suspect our idea of cold is a bit differentimage

DV.. Damn...you should have popped in....

.I like the mini, but I would not be able to fit my dog in it, and that seems to be a major consideration with cars...boot space!  I will need a "new" car later in the year, and one with a decent boot.  I have an old Golf at the minute, and might end up with another.  I was thinking of a Polo, but again, the boots don't look very big at all.  Any recommendations from anyone??

Can I just say, I am NOT brimming with confidence at all!  It's just, I like to have things in the pipeline, and I somehow think a marathon abroad is a bit more exciting than one here, and my nick name at work is Judith Chalmers...so now you see!

DD..you up for it ???  Just looked at the website, and it appears to be open for entries now...it doesn't say anything about having to have a certain time to enter (like Boston) or a certain amount of sponsorship (like New York), or even a dreaded medical certificate (like Paris!!)...sounds perfect.   Flights from Manchester are £344 direct, so not too bad.......just have to check I can get the time off work now lol!

Off to find a recipe for roast lamb now.  Had this huge leg of lamb (given to me by parents?) in the freezer for ages and never got round to eating it.  I have no clue how to cook it, but I think it should probably involve some rosemary.  The dog will be fed off this for about a month, honestly its HUGE!

RP

• Options

Right..  you lot need to be ashamed of yourselves..  all this talk about running.. its disgusting..  I am ridden with guilt for being a lazy old git and doing nothing while you lot pound the streets day after day..  so.. only even I am now changed and am going for a run...  yes.. a real run..  outside and everything.... 

Honestly.. I don't know..  the standards of society today....   image

I've no idea where I'm going, how far or for how long..  I'll see how long my iPod battery lasts......

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

* DV, look away now*

Great lamb recipes here  RP.

• Options
    RP.. that's isn't a dog you have..  its a wolf...! 
  • Options

lalalalalalllalalalalala   I can't hear you ATM....  *fingers in ears and eyes closed..*

• Options
    ATM - aromatic mutton warmer? Do you eat it or wear it?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Yes, some of the names are a bit odd, RR...
    There are six little lambs in a pen just up the road from me.They're gorgeous..so woolly, so springy.They look...tasty!
  • Options

RP....Keep the Golf and get a smaller dog. You will have enough space to fit all your trainers, belts, bottles, gels and holiday brochures....have i missed anything.

Chicago...I'm not even thinking about it. Ive been contemplating going out doing my run for 3 hours but cant get my arse off this seat. The weather is lovely, so i must and will make the effort. Hope its still light when i decide to move. My schedule says race 5m-13m, so cant make my mind up as what to do. 

• Options
    ATM...does that mean that there will only be 5 little lambs in that pen next week.image
  • Options

LOL all the time at the guys on the forum. I have been on a few over the years but this has to be the best.

Mr Puffy- the comment you made was funny enough but when its next to your picture is hilarious!

I still laugh at the Jelly Baby comments the other day, take your face out of the bag and hard and lumpy face!

Sounds like more plans for more good running today.

I did my LSR yesterday and so it was a Personal Training session in the gym, its seemed a good idea when I booked them and told her I was lazy at intervals and needed to be pushed.

I am not sure I have ever had a 24 year old girl telling to go harder, you can do it and all I wanted to do was stop and cry.....this was never in my dreams.

• Options

Hudds - Must resist repeating Frankie Boylesque gag...must resist

RP - Why do they call you Judith Chalmers?  You're not orange and don't wear red blazers as far as I'm aware?  Not sure about Chicago.  Nearest I've ever been to America would probably be Dingle and I'm led to believe that's still a fair way off.  I'm not well travelled.  I've never left Europe, and including the UK have only ever been to 11 countries (for the record - UK, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Andorra, Greece, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech Republic).

Leg of lamb?  Got to involve rosemary and alot of garlic.

Savoury mice with cabbage & bacon for us tonight.  Trust me, its more exciting than it sounds.  Good winter comfort food.

Managed 30 mins on the x-trainer and 1x20 on all the lower body weights machines at the gym.  Not alot but still pleased to be able to do it the day after an LSR.  Also, particularly pleasant scenery at the gym today (its a university gym and I'm the dirty old man leering from the machines at the back of the room - though people do give me some funny looks for training in a grubby mac).