Options

FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    Niihty- a good warm up in the 30mins before the gun goes off too.  PB here you come!
  • Options

Cheers guys!!

Had the gel tonight playing football, it certainly made a difference. Felt a bit giddy actually!!

• Options

The gels can be a bit overwhelming (depending on the brand obviously!) so just make sure you have some fluid to sip alongside it...I have had a gut wrenching experience with them when digested to quickly....but they are effective....

Good luck with Trafford 10K.....and to anyone else who is racing this weekend!!  6 weeks to go and now getting a bit restless!!image

• Options

Good luck niffty at old trafford and Ian on your half.

Did a 30 out - 30 back session last night which was good as I did the return trip in 28:27 so good negative split.  This morning did 6 hill reps on a very steep hill, legs were tired from last night I could tell by the slowness of the uphills.

Going to give cycling a go tomorrow and then a gentle 13-15 on Sunday ready for the next 3x 20milers that I have coming up.

• Options

Yeah good luck with the racing this week guys.

Semi-orgainsed HM for me tomorrow and hopefully a long bike on Sunday but kids parties may intervene...

• Options
    Any old hands know when we are likely to get our running numbers etc?  I thought I read somewhere they may be with us in early March.
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragment guys, means a lot. Good luck to Ian and everyone who'll be training hard this wkend. United vs Liverpool tomorrow, I would normally be in the pub but tomorrow it's orange juice only!! Well worth it though.

6 weeks! Not long now guys!! Where's everyone staying? We're down for two nights, splashed out seen as it's a special occassion, staying at the Mayfair Holiday Inn. Driving down the Saturday, me the wife and my parents. Can't wait!

• Options

Niihty, who are your supporting United or Liverpool?

Old Shadowfax, you should be getting a magazine within the next week or so telling you all about the race and how to get your number, these are available from the Wednesday before the race to the Saturday from the Excell center in London.

Niihty, I guess you will be getting your number on the Saturday?  Make sure you allow plenty of time as it is supposed to be very busy on the Saturday.

• Options

Thanks for the advice Rioja, I'll be leaving early Sat morning.

As for the football, living in Manchester I'll let you decide who I'll be supportingimage

• Options
    must be liverpool then?! image
  • Options

Of greater importance than the footie, is the 6 nations.  Some well deserved viewing after my 20miles this morning!  The run went OK, but I think my legs were a bit glycogen depleted after the Teddy Hall relay on Wednesday which was a bit of an "eyeballs hanging out" 3.6 mile race.  An odd distance in one's marathon training but I counted it as my speed work for the week as it turne out to be my fastest paced race recorded.

Hope you all get on well with your races tomorrow- I did the long run today as tomorrow morning is looking warmer than today was- and I find managing fluids are a problem in long training runs as 'm not carrying a bottle for the duration.

• Options

Massive hangover today so no cycling today, I just about managed to get out of bed image.  Well upset about the footy, so being spanish and living in Essex, guess who I support image.

Doing some running in the morning so hoping that I feel better.

Old shadowfax, you didn't mentioned how long it took you to do the 20miles, was it a good time?  I really want to have an easy long run at 8:30pace tomorrow just to have a break, but we will see how I get on.

• Options
    Hey guys good luck to everyone this weekend. Am now in bath at a friends house...wondering if I should go out with them or stay in...I just get so bored on soft drinks!

Anyone else doing the Kingston 16 miler?
  • Options

RL- do they not do a low alcohol Rioja? Its good to hear that you too haven't given up the alcohol yet. I'm not THAT dedicated either.   I find a short run is great for a hangover as long as you are not tooo dehydrated!

I did the 20 miles in 2:33 which was a bit too fast and I would have struggled to do another 6.2 miles, but it was without any fluids and on tired legs from the week.  Whereas last week I did the same run 7 mins slower and felt stronger at the end of it and thats reassuring as that was 3:30 pace (and there are less hills in London than here).

• Options

Well I did it!! I broke the 40 minute mark! A new PB of 39:27. I'm absolutely over the moon, this is the milestone I have been aiming for since May last year. I was quite nervous early on, especially when the pace was 5:30 min/mile!! at the starter whistle, I had to concentrate and not get carried away. Everyone seemed to be sprinting. Fortunately I kept my concentration and had enough energy to kick in the last mile. Luckily I had my wife (and my dog, Parker!) cheering me on last 400metres. What can I say, this was my first race which I've really trained for and the hard work's really paid off!!

Now for the Wilmslow Half in two weeks!!

Hope things went well today Ian!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

WOW!  Fantastic niihty!  You must be feeling on top of the world.  WELL DONE.

• Options

Well done Niihty, fantastic time, I bet you can't stop smilingimage!

I felt ill all day yesterday and the curry last night did not do much for me today, but managed 13.5miles  in 1:47, which is good as I thought I was going to be much slower.  Also weather was great, first time for t-shirt and shorts, spring here it come image.

Can I ask you all a question.  I am a bit worried about my long runs, previously I have run my long runs between 8:30 and 9 mile pace.  This time I am running them between 8 and 7:45 pace which is much faster and also that is meant to be our marathon pace to do a sub 3:30, is this a good sign that I have improved or I am pushing it too much?  I am due to do 3x 20mile runs in the next 3 weekends and not sure wether to slow the pace and spend more time on my feet rather than speed.  Your advice would be great.

• Options

Thanks Guys, your right I can't stop image!! The weather did help, it was a beautiful morning. Apparantly we had a former record holder running with us today. My wife said he went past her at 27 mins near the finish line!!! Outrageous!!

To be honest Rioja I wish I could help, but I have the same problem. I find it hard doing easy runs, I feel I'm not achieving much if I'm not putting it in. I'm sure someone can help us. 

• Options
    hi all...well done niity! Fantastic, don't think I've got a sub 40 in me!

Bath half was excellent - superb organisation, huge crowds (and I mean huge!) and a nice flat course. I did 1h32 on my my garmin but no official time yet, plus it said the course was 13.23 miles, but not too fussed about that.

I went off very quickly, the first 3 miles were all about 6m30. I took 2 gels at 5 and 10 and once I did, I felt a bit more comfortable, but I felt awful early on due to the pace.

The weather was absolutely sweltering too, great day for spectators but a few runners fell by the wayside. All in all quite pleased taking the weather into account.
  • Options
    also start was delayed by 30 mins, which wasn't ideal. Still didn't detract from a good day though.
  • Options

Niihty- right that's it. If you can do a sub 40min 10k, you don't need any tips from me image

No really, congratulations- an excellent time.  If you plug that result into the RW race time predictor, you get an amazing time for a marathon, if you've got the endurance!!

• Options

huge congrats to niihty & IB on those times that is excellent racing well done to you both.

RL,  my view on your training long runs is to take the positives out of it,  you've been running consistently well in your training from what you've said on here and I would be fairly certain it's this that is making you capable of running your long slow runs at a quicker pace.....my advice for your 3x20 milers coming up is to run them as part of your training programme,  keep doing the hills and other stuff during the week which seems to be serving you very well at the moment.

I would aim to get progressively quicker over each of the 3 weekends (are any of them races?),  a suggestion would be nice and easy for the first 20 miler (maybe 8m15s to 8m 30s pace),  8m to 8m30s pace for the 2nd then do an easier week pre the 3rd 20 miler and push yourself to achieve sub 8m pace (ie 2h40m),  it should give you confidence off the back of training with a 3 week taper following that.

In the past I've done similar, I've raced 1/2m (1h34m),  21m (2h45m), raced 20m (2h25m) leading upto my taper and gone into it feeling very confident in the pace I've had in my legs.

Not quite in the same condition at the moment,  realistically 3h30m will be a struggle for me, I think 3h40m is doable though.   I managed 21m again today in 3hrs but was dead on my feet for the last couple of miles,   however I biked for 3h30m yesterday so come the day who knows what will happen!

• Options

Thanks again guys and well done Ian, great time!! This running thing is addictive!!

Very True Ian, one thing I learnt today is not to get carried away by the event. People were going crazy at the start, literally sprinting for their life. Then after 2 miles I saw at least two people throwing up on the embankment!! I think if you take racing seriously a good sat watch is important to keep you focused.

• Options
    Niihty, you are correct.  Just decide on what pace you will do and keep a close eye on your watch/ garmin, especially at the start until you settle into that pace.  If you find you have boundless energy later on (!), you can always speed up a bit.
  • Options

Great run Ian, that was a super time and I hope you are really happy with it.  Shame I didn't get in the Brentwood half today as I think I could have got a really good time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will just keep doing what I am doing and see how London pans out, no plans of any races from now to London so any improvements from my 3:41 PB at the FLM will make me a very happy woman.

• Options

Well done Ian and Niighty on excellent runs...

Finished the Finchley 20 mile race yesterday (4 laps of 5 miles... and I was really starting to hate Ruislip!! only kidding....) first 15 miles comfortable 7.30mins mile...dipped massively for the last 5miles to come in at 2hrs 30mins....

The field was full of good quality to pace myself against....but very happy to get it done and despite feeling a bit tight and sore around the ITB area (lots of ice and heat afterwards) it was good prep....

Hope the tapering theory works well...because the thought of another 6 on top was great! (LOL) Well still on for 3.30 or under......image 

Re: Taking it easy...I think the training runs are good confidence boosters.....especially the long runs.....I've found short threshold (lung busters) to compiment the steady.....well that was the theory until yesterday!!  Think I will leave the threshold for a few days!!

• Options
    well done carlo, great time...never done that event, how is it mentally doing 4 laps?
  • Options

Mentally Ian?  A bit of a mix....you know what you're in for after the first lap...but by the same token, you can feel drained seeing the 1 miles sign up after 16 miles!!!! (even though in your head you can count the fact you've done 16!!) The event was well run...only around 510 runners (to date)..but didn't factor in the temp (quite warm) and felt slightly stiff afterwards.....undulating but without any major gradient climbs...

The little band that played throughout helped!!! Nice little jazz numbers to look forward to on the 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th mile go bless those guys!!! 

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone.
    I did a half-marathon on Saturday, glad I didn't try it on Sunday as it was a scorcher!
    It wasn't a proper race, just me against the clock round the towpaths, route measured on http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Very pleased to have dragged myself round in 1:31:01

Hopefully well on track for getting under the 3:30 mark at London.

Had to dig really deep to keep going between miles 10-12, managed to find a bit of a spurt for the last 3/4 of a mile or so and thought I was going to lose my breakfast by the end. Strangely felt a lot better after my warm-down then I do after the LSR, must be the endorphins or something.

Really need to get a Garmin, my Nike+ iPod thingy isn't too accurate, it gave me 12.85 miles instead of 13.1, not far off for a cheap gadget (toy), but not good enough to rely on, especially for pacing. Saying that I don't seem to be able to hold a pace very well, I think I'm constantly speeding up and slowing down, but averaging out at about what I aim for.
    Is this normal?

• Options

well my pacing was poor yesterday dom, whats the point of me running the first 3 miles at an avge of 6m30?!

I suppose it gives me some room for comfort when 7.30 min/miling, but also means I need to improve my discipline..

I got the Garmin a few weeks back and Im loving it...as a serious runner dom you probably need one. I downloaded an app for my iphone, itrail, its useless.