Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

VR - at least it's a rest day today so time to catch up (TdF wise). It was nice of you to stay with your injured new found friend yesterday.

Sluggie - welcome back. My current bike is the Dolce Elite. Struggling to justify the expense of a better bike though I guess someone has to spend our way out of this recession image

Shades - sorry to hear that you still have a niggle, are you treating it other than rest?

Baking type peeps - if I leave some rolls to prove for twice as long as they're supposed to will it adversely affect the result? Will have time to make but will then need to leave for a couple of hours before knocking back.

Grace walked and anhour run this morning. Swim lesson in wetsuit this afternoon. Tapering now - but don't tell my body!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

*and........................breathe* image

Just read back! I haven't been able to get too near the PC recently due to my houseguests.image Least said on that score, soonest mended. image

Mr Bump wrote (see)

LIverbird - It is interesting what you say about the achilles problem being not so much of a problem in a different pair of shoes.  May I suggest overpronation could be the problem?  Have you had your gait analysed......recently?

I haven't actually, Mr B and I was thinking of getting it reassessed. I do have a slightly unconventional running gait, because my right leg swings extremely wide in a circle before landing, due to a congenital hip problem I was born with. That said, my footstrike is reasonably neutral on that side (it just looks odd)image

My left side very obviously overpronates, but maybe not to the extent that I thought it did originallyimage I am going to find it a problem to get female trainers because my trusty Mizunos only go up to an 8 and they are very evidently too small, which means I'll have to have mens...image I'm not precious about colour or anything, but I'd like it if they recognised that women these days do not have dainty feet!

Ouch about the flying stones and glad you're OK. Your bike riding is incredibly impressive!

LMH -I like the bike and I agree - black is good!

DG - congrats to Master DG!

Shades - pain in achilles is lessening now and most of the time it's not even there. I've enquired about a fizz too, so we'll see how we go.

*takes trainers out of suitcase*image

• Options
    LMH - no prob with leaving to prove for longer than needed - you could always put them somewhere not quite so warm as you would otherwise?
  • Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Thanks Shades - I must have misunderstood. image

• Options

LMH - Was going to say that too, just leave to prove somewhere a bit cooler than usual, then it should take longer, but shouldnot be a big problem even if normal temperatures.

VR - Well done for sticking with your injured friend - and not even anything bad to say about Butler!image Are you sure you are well!. Not sure I would be too good at routefinding when tired either but well done again, now where are August and September going to be?

Must get a run in soon as have to pick up son who managed to miss his boat home yesterday, later. He is not making himself popular at the moment!

First day back at work OK but have already lost my day off due to colleague being on leave.image OK for the system getting unpaid labour but not so impressed here.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

sluggie - well done on your 24 miles at Lake Wyke.   Good to know that your eye is better

VR - well done on sticking with your new friend with the calf injury.   sorry to hear you didn't really enjoy getting lost!   Must have been a long day for you and Butler with your journey home too.

LMH - no, am not treating achilles, no swelling and no pain on stretching, just a twinge now and then when running

LB - I thought more shoes now do >size 8 for ladies.   The enforced rest whilst you're on holiday may be enough to sort the problem out, along with a new pair of shoes.
    How is your Dad now?

Elspeth - that's not a good return to work situation

Audit going quite well at work, boss want me to move offices to the new factory this week too but I want to wait until I've done the wages and finished the audit.   When I move we will be overstaffed in the accounts department and I strongly suspect that it will be me that gets made redundant, we will see.

Out with my forever beginner friend tonight, I've told her that tonight we start running, she normally just likes to walk!

• Options

Shades- oh no! Really hope you don't get made redundant. Do you think you will be able to get something else fairly quickly? I didn't get a place in the new forest marathon because i left it too late. Probably just as well. I will check to see if they have any half places left as would love to meet you.

LMH- Were the rolls yummy.? I love baking bread, but haven't done it for ages. What date is your triathlon? Can we watch you on TV?

VR- sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the race. I would be dreadful at finding my way as i have no sense of direction. Very good of you to stick by the man that you ran with.

SB- well done on your PBimage

LB- I think mens trainers are designed differently so may not suit you- probably best to get some advice.

Elspeth- will you get the day off in lieu for working this other person's shift.?Seems a bit unfair.

Thank-you everyone for your kind and reassuring words of wisdom re. my marathon decision- you are all so lovely on here. I feel much better about it now.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Shades - It sounds like you're on the road to recovery.  My physio always used to say that if you can complete 8 miles and the problem isn't getting worse, it is manageable...or something like that.

With all thewor you've done for your company, I think they'd be mad to let you go!

Sluggie - 24 miles in that terrain...in any terrain...is good going.

VR - Well done on completing that marathon, and well done also for helping your friend.  I can't believe Butler turned out (as is his duty) and there is no bad word to say about him.

Elspeth - I hope you get that dayback.  Unpaid labour is very wrong in my opinion.

------------------

Another good run.  5.9 miles at 8:45/mile pace.  Legs ached for the first mile, but then I got into it.  Interesting that I did the same course, at the same HR, 16 secs per mile faster than what I ran two weeks ago.  That's a huge improvement (even if I do say it myself).

• Options

Shades, sorry to hear that....

I haven't read back but know that many of you were following my progress round the course last weekend.  I've written a report on the IMCH thread - link here.  Thanks everyone for your support, it meant a lot out there on the day (as always)! image

• Options
    VR - was Butler at the 12 mile checkpoint (the second church)?  I hope so 'cos that would solve the identity of the mystery marchall who greeted me with 'Here's some gin for you Sparkly' image
  • Options

Shades - good to hear niggle's going, but not so good to hear that you think redundancy is looming.  Keeping fingers and toes crossed it's the reverse.  image

VR - you're lovely staying with your running friend with the calf injury.  Clever of Butler to pop up in a couple of places along the course and help out making the stewards think he's one of them.  Your PW is still better than mine.  image

LMH - well done on walking Grace, running for an hour and a swimming lesson this afternoon.  Tapering....image

LB - fizzy will sort you out and then you'll be happy again.  image

Elspeth - seems very unfair and hope you can get the day back in lieu or something.  image

Mr Bump - well done on another excellent run.  You're still getting faster image and I'm very pleased for you too.  image

PSC - welcome back *waves*.  Will read your IMCH report shortly.

Sparkly - brilliant.  LOL at Butler giving you a gin on the run.  image

35 miles ridden today on a Peugeot Rock 21-speed mountain bike and there were a couple of points where the wheels felt like they were made out of rock.  Flossette forgot her alarm clock, so instead of doing the harbour route, went inland to Bryanston and back.  Apart from panicking when a lorry got too close behind me, changing up a couple of gears too quickly (actually jamming the chain between the back fork and the first cog and getting black, oily puddies) and need for emergency refuelling at Tesco's after 1.5 hrs hard riding - it was a good 3 hrs 19 mins at an average pace of 10.54 mph.  Doesn't seem very fast, but have to be pleased with that for first jaunt on my own and it was hilly to say the least.  Bought everything for the bike the other day except for a pump (that could have been funny - get a flat, no pump!)  imageimage

• Options

Hi Sparkly! Yes that was him. Blimey I didn't get any Gin!

Mr. Bump - Caught up with the Tour and it looks like Contador is the man, but isn't Wiggins doing brilliantly, so pleased for him. Do you speak French by any chance?
    Well done on your running at the moment seems like it's working for you, no wonder your pleased with your self.

Elspeth - August Marathon is in Salisbury and I think it's another find your own way event image
    September is New Forest. Having to work unpaid, that's not right.

Shades - Thanks for the text so early in the morning, you were up weren't you?  Whens your 6 hour race?

SiJ - Shame about New Forest Marathon, try for the half and we can get to meet you image

• Options

Flossie - Your braver than me going out on your own for that milage. I have everything for changing a trye but no pump! I have got a mini one but I always leave it at home. Ooooops. I need to fix it on the bike.

Its raining again, is this what our Summer is going to be like? 

• Options

Flossie - I'm usually happy if I average 12mph on my mtb so I think you're cycling is great. Do you take carb drink with you in your bottle? I'd recommend it to prevent 'bonking' also means (for me at least) that I can get away with eating a lot less than I might otherwise need.

Shades - hope the achilles is finally sorted in time for the weekend and that the threat of redundancy doesn't materialise.

Mr B - more good running!

SiJ - 8th August. Don't expect it will be televised but I'll let you know.

Elspeth - that's pants.

Welcome home PSC.

When is NF half?

Thanks for the bread advice - it turned out fine, yummy in fact (if I do say so myself) - spelt teacakes image

• Options
    VR - I cheat and carry 'pit stop' and inners and a CO2 cannister just in case.
  • Options
    VR - it pretended to rain on last mile to home, but it didn't get me.  image  First bike was a Peugeot 18-speed roadbike and when I was 20 yrs old rode all the way to Sherborne on my own with no food, water, extras, bike pump or anything - 64 miles all round - flippin' mad really!  New cycling shorts got christened today.  image
  • Options

LMH - NF half is 27th September.  No marathon places left, but definitely half places available last time I looked the other day.  No, didn't take carb drink in my bottle, just water - doh!!!  image  CO2 cannister sounds interesting?  Is that bionic air?  image

Think it will be interesting to see what state knees are in tomorrow morning.  May have to swim tomorrow - that's run Sunday, bike Monday and maybe swim Tuesday.  image

• Options

VR - Bet your new friend was surprised when you pushed the "marshall" into a hedge. Must have been a long day for Butler though, at least he brought Bridget some gin.image

Am jealous of you all meeting up in Sept - no one else fancy Elgin?

Happens quite a lot in this job and my colleague is away for 3 weeks. Worse since they decided to save money and not employ locums for holiday cover.

Rolls sound yummy - now fantacising about gooseberry crumble but will have to find some gooseberries, they don't thrive in our garden.image

LB - Hope you're surviving the in laws visit.

Shades - Hope your job is secure, not the best of times to be looking for a new one.

• Options

evening all - how are you all?

sorry I have been absent - everything got on top of me again

not been doing any running but am determined to go today or tomorrow...though today is running out...

going on our hols on 1 August provided swine flu doesn't get us and am determined to do at least 8 runs on holiday

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

Well done.

Flossie,

Nice one.

• Options

Elspeth - my gooseberries were grown in the garden, in fact I'm just finishing the last portion now image

BBS - take the pressure off man! Take your trainers and run if you feel like it.

Flossie - 'bionic air' something like that, yes.

I really want to meet up with everyone but NF is a long way away - would probably need to stay two nights and Mark is doing NF half IM the week before - he's camping though. I don't do camping.

Any suggestions for using up fromage frais? I only needed 100g for my lasagne topping and have about twice that left now - it was the smallest tub I could find.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Let's have another Tour de France tale....

In 1985, the American, Greg Lemond left the Renault-Elf team to join the new La Vie Claire team alongside French legend, 4-times Tour de France winner, Bernard Hinault. 

Going into Stage 14 of 23, Hinault led by 5:23 from his team mate, Lemond, and 6:09 in front of the 3rd placed ridee, Stephen Roche.  However, in the final sprint, Hinault crashed and required stitches to his head, not to mention the two black eyes and broken nose he suffered from the crash.  The next two stages were not of note, although Hinault was clearly suffering.  His lead over Lemond was down to 3:32. 

So, into the Pyrenees and climbing the Col du Tourmalet, Hinault cracked.  He was struggling to breathe properly because of his broken nose and soon dropped off the pace.  Meanwhile, up the road, Lemond was shepherding Roche, who was riding hard to take time out of Hinault's lead.  Lemond was told of the race situation, and with Hinault suffering and Roche trying to put himself in the frame for overall victory as well, Lemond saw his chance to up the pace on the climb of Luz-Ardiden and not only win the stage, but also the Tour.

The La Vie Claire team car then came up with orders.  Allegedly, the team directeur-sportif (team manager) who was not in the car, had given the orders that Lemond could attack, provided that he dropped Roche.  The person in the team car however was a close friend of Hinault and a recently retired cyclist who had previously been a loyal domestique to him.  Lemond was allegedly told not to ride with Roche because Hinault was fighting back and was only 40 seconds behind.  So, Lemond sat up and waited......and waited......and waited.  Eventually, over 5 minutes back, Hinault appeared.  Lemond was furious.  Had he stayed with Roche until the end of the stage, Lemond would have led the Tour de France by 2 seconds.

By the time the race got to Paris, Hinault had won his 5th Tour by 1:42 from Lemond.  Bernard Hinault promised he would help Lemond win the Tour in 1986.  

In 1986, Greg Lemond did indeed win the Tour de France.  However, it was not with Bernard Hinault's help.  My the time the Pyrenees were climbed, the betrayal was evident.  Hinault had over a 5 minutes lead and both Hinault and Jean-Francois Bernard repeatedly launched attacks against Lemond.  Lemond fought his way back through the Pyrenees and by the time the race reached the Alps, Lemond was in a winning position.  The team however was split.  The French riders rode for Hinault - against Lemond, even on Alpe d'Huez where by this time Lemond was leading, and their duty should have been to protect Lemond's Yellow Jersey

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Flossie - Good riding.  Fortunately you didn't need that forgotton pump!  You must have been very fit to have just gone out and rode 64 miles on your old Peugeot bike.

VR - Yes, I think Contador should win from here.  Wiggins is doing brilliant, although of course their are rumours that he is doing so well because he is on drugs.  However, he argues that because of the rigorous testing now, because (hopefully) everyone is drug-free, means that he has a chance.

I speak a little French, but I always get nervous when I'm speaking it, especially if people I know are around.  Much happier on my own, but I'm better at reading it.  I can cope ok with L'Equipe normally, although a Frenchman I know tells me it is written in simple language, whilst if I tried to read Le Monde, I might struggle.

Little Miss -   Thanks.  image

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

..........Do you take carb drink with you in your bottle? I'd recommend it to prevent 'bonking' also means (for me at least) ......

I'm pleased you clarified that for us.  image

Liverbird - Are you getting withdrawal symptoms?  image

• Options
    I think it was homeopathic gin really image
  • Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)
    BBS - take the pressure off man! Take your trainers and run if you feel like it.
     errrrr...you don't understand LMH - if I work on the basis of only running when I feel like it, then I won't run at all.
  • Options
    BBS/SiJ - Try to give yourselves a break. My situation was that I was trying to fit so much in: work, family activities, being the 'perfect' mum, housewife and training and thought I was doing it all, but as soon as something went wrong (my thing was work) it all came crashing down and I made myself horribly ill. Training has to come because you want to do it. I'm not running much at the moment, but I'm not beating myself up about it, I'm doing a bit, when I feel I've got the time and the inclination. Strangely I've still been running good times in races off very little training. I think you've made the right decision SiJ - at the end of the day your health and family are the most important things.

Mr B - More great stories and some good training!

LMH - We had gooseberry crumble from homegrown gooseberries a couple of weeks ago and it was yummy! I've been given some rhubarb (some is stewed, some will go in a cake) and also have the yogurt in to make redcurrant and yogurt ice-cream (hopefully) tomorrow!

Shades - So hope you're mistaken about the redundancy. Glad to hear the achilles is not troubling you too much.

SB - Congratulations on your race!
    VR - Well done for finishing the race, you do like your challenges don't you?!

Flossie - great ride! I was averaging about 10 miles per hour on my mountain bike when I trained for my tri and to be fair was getting pretty despondent about my chances of being last in the tri, but when we bought a racing bike I immediately found I could average 15/16 mph for the same effort!!
  • Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Keep the stories coming on the TdF Mr Bump.

I watched the last leg (hope that's phrased correctly), the climb up into Verbier.  Made me feel sick just watching them.  I would hit all those spectators that get so close.  They'll knock a rider of their bike eventually.

Need to get my head around the politics of the sport, but its great viewing, and I would never have tuned in if it wasnt for your chat.  

• Options

BBS - go on holiday with your trainers and draw up a plan of what you want to do, but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day.  Above all - have lots of fun.  image

Mr Bump - ooh!  Treachery at it's best.  Naughty people.  Was 20 when I did that mad 64 miler to Sherborne.  Had no idea how far Sherborne was and wanted to see the deer, which was about 2/3rds on the way - no doubt they are still there.  It was one of those cool windy, sunny days.  Funny what motivates us sometimes.  image

DG - you've made me feel very good about mtb speed.  Thank you.  Have already got eye on new bike in the shop up the road.  Embarrassingly, don't know what it is apart from it looks nice and will ask next time I go in.  image

HTF - hiya *waves*.  image

Nite nite, off to bed now.  image

• Options

Goodness me, you lot can't half talk while I'm not around much! I thought I could talk for Britain! image

elspeth fay wrote (see)

LB - Hope you're surviving the in laws visit.

Shades - Hope your job is secure, not the best of times to be looking for a new one.

I wish I could speak freely....image He knows I'm Liverbird and might find you lot so image

Mr Bump wrote (see)

I speak a little French, but I always get nervous when I'm speaking it, especially if people I know are around.  Much happier on my own, but I'm better at reading it.  I can cope ok with L'Equipe normally, although a Frenchman I know tells me it is written in simple language, whilst if I tried to read Le Monde, I might struggle.

The only way to combat that is to speak it a lot. When I lived in France I swapped over completely - I even dreamt and thought in it. I found myself in an area of Lorraine (as in quiche!) where nobody spoke English. Eventually you give up and have a go and it's remarkably easy when you have to do it all the time. I would be exactly like you now if someone said "go on, say something in French" and would be most likely to reply with an insult! image Happily, as the French have yet to conquer middle England I feel Leicestershire is probably going to remain safe for now! image

Shades - I hope to goodness they don't make you redundant. I recall you dragging your poorly backside inside to work once when you were really ill in order to make sure the wages were done and you're hardly a slacker! As others have said they'd be nuts to let you go! They'd better not be discriminating on the basis of you being a few months over 40 - they're not supposed to do that and you're a very long way off the bus pass!

As for the shoe debate, there are "some" who go above a size 8 (I think Asics do) but not Mizuno and I've been very happy in those. I think that trip to Liverpool to see Alan Rothwell (RO for runliverpool and owner of specialist running shop!) is in order now...... I suspect I'm going to need size 9 at least. I had my feet measured in Clarks for a laugh and one was 8.5F and the other one was slightly bigger and they said 9F! Whenever I shop for shoes these days a 9 is too big! image But trainers are clearly different - within a few miles in the marathon I'd cut off the blood supply to my feet by tying my laces too tight and I had to stop and loosen them off. I was amazed at how much they swell! All rookie mistakes I won't do again.....

• Options

Welcome back BBS - I echo what DG says. You should run because you want to. You don't need something else to feel guilty or stressed about!

Mr Bump - love the TdF tales. I too only watch it now because you convinced me!

Elspeth - what happens to mini Fays when they miss the boat? Do they wind up sleeping in hedgerows in the port area?image

LMH - you're another one racing while I'm away! I'm going to be soooooo desperate to know what's going on! image

Flossie - I am seriously impressed with your MTB ride! Get on a road bike and you'll be flying!

Only 3 miles today for me. Children are at a dress rehearsal tonight for their "BIG SHOW" tomorrow after school. I have gone all "ballet mum" so woe betide any parent who thinks their little Johnny is better than mine...image