Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

A large salad with fallafel and crusty french bread and butter washed down with a small glass of rioja.

There is a vanilla cupcake calling me from the fridge to let it come and watch the TDF with me.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

I think there's some over reaction too.  If I had the same symptoms anyother time I would have worked thru them or tried to.

• Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

LB - I have to say 'why was she wearing an outrageously expensive Calvin Klein jacket to school anyway'?

I've bought her a new jacket as this was a well worn one so I wasn't that fussed about it, but even so! I wasn't expecting someone in an entirely different class to deliberately deface her clothing. It think it was £60 but I got it in the sale....image

Somebody please text me with LMH's results for the race! Or you can PM me for my mobile if you haven't got it!

I love falafel.....image

• Options
    Well, if someonme who will be around a computer on Saturday 8th August would like to e-mail me with their mobile number I shall ask Mark to oblige.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Hi - Busy couple of days, every time I think I'm making progress at work get asked if I can cover something else because someone is not there. Anyhow got finished in time for Jogscot tonight which was good, not too many out - loss of interest or summer holidays? Still those who were there had a good run and some big improvements while I've been away.

BBS - Sorry to hear about your friend, certainly puts other things in perspective. But hope you manage to get more time to yourself and time for regular relaxation/running etc. Keep coming on here.

Sij - Glad you feel better and sounds like a lovely tea.We had fried steak with peppercorn sauce and it was yummy, nice surprise as was expecting sausages but since youngest had gone for a picnic Peter decided to do something she wouldn't like.

My running is very sluggish this week, dunno if due to being tired due to working lots or if something else amiss. Ran with friend yesterday, 7 miles and struggled all  the way. 3.5 miles on way to JS tonight and did slightly better then a slowish run/walk for a couple of miles(was with the beginner) and a mile home. Dunno whether to do the 10k on Sat now and do a PW or just do a long run on my own - which I badly need for marathon training.

Shades - Hope niggles disappear befor your marathon orgy in Sept/Oct - Can't have you not getting to Loch Ness again.

HY - Glad you are a bit better too.

LMH - Would be happy to give you my number for results on 8th. Probably will long run in the morning though but will be around in the afternoon.

Still pretty impressed with my new shoes, if I manage a 20 mile (if I ever get that far ) with no mashed toes will order another pair, only problem is I have 2 newish pairs of Nikes which don't fit brilliantly but feel I should   use them.

A few chores and then an early night I think.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

VR - Great vodeo of Lance Armstrong on the slopes of Luz-Ardiden.  I remember it well.  Why is it that I am warming to Armstrong now, whereas before I was very anti-Armstrong?  Maybe he conducts himself better?  I'm delighted to see he's leaving Astana, as after all how could Armstrong (if he is clean) ride with Vinoukourov?  Armstrong's new team will launch next season and be RadioShack.

Flossie / Little Miss / Si-J / Liverbird / DG -

Many thanks for all your advice re: OU degree and teaching.  I didn't realise there were certain percentages for the areas of study.  Yes, I will talk to the OU.  I want to keep my options open, but teaching is the thing that interests me.  I remember "controlling things" at Lauren's birrthday party the other week in Pizza Hut and I was absolutely loving the challenge of keeping order.  Perhaps I should consider Primary education.  Or saying that, with how PC things are these days, would a man wanting to teach primary school kids be considered a potential nonce?  image  I like history and English Literature, so maybe I could combine the two, and maybe some foreign language too?  At least they are all Humanities based, aren't they?

You're all lovely, looking into this for me.  I'll write another Tour de France tale after I've posted this.  consider it your reward!  image

Shades - Well run today, although I'm sorry to hear you've had to pull out of Faversham, even though I know you've done the right thing.  On a separate note, fortunately, no dodgy phone calls today.  Fingers crossed.

Si-J - If it's any consolation, my kids have drove me nuts this evening.

HY4 - Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Liverbird / DG - I understand there are a lot of pushy parents that frequent these dance classes and shows....  Hopefully you two aren't.  I'm sure you're not.  image

Little Miss - New bike  image  Woo-hoo!  imageimageimage  Must arrange a bike ride soon so I can pay homage to your new bike.  Mmmmmmmm..........full carbon........(drools)  image

I think the Government and the media are hyping up Tamiflu.  My concern is that Tamiflu is being dished out to those people who don't need it, and then when/if the virus mutates and it really is killing people, then there won't be enough for everyone - not that there's enough at the moment, mind.  50% of the population at the moment, with orders in to cover 80%, according to the NHS website.

As for white powder through customs, I had that dilemma in France with both the Marathon de Paris and Paris-Roubaix.  In the end, I opted for a box of individual sachets, as it didn't look quite so dodgy!  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Liverbird - I'm sorry to hear about Miss LB's coat.  I thought the same as Little Miss.  I think kids are going to be jealous of what others have got and deliberately try to destroy it.  image
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Tour de France tales

I've mentioned in previous tales about what it is to be un homme du Tour.  You are willing to suffer greatly but you will never give up.  You will sacrifice yourself for a team mate.  You are magnaminous in defeat and generous in victory.

Rene Vietto was un homme du Tour.  He was a waiter in a Cannes hotel, who trained in the hills behind Cannes once his shift had finished.  Such was his talent, his initial successes were spectacular, and so he was invited to ride for the French national team contesting the 1934 Tour de France. 

Entering the Alps, the French team leader, Antonin Magne was leading on GC with Vietto in 43rd.  Once in the Alps though, Vietto was untouchable.  He finished the first Alpine stage, 229 km to Grenoble, 3:23 ahead, with other leading contenders further back.  He was now 3rd overall.  The next day, to Gap (no, not the fashion outlet, Liverbird!  image), he rode alongside Magne and thus protected the Yellow Jersey.  The next day, to Digne, Vietto was on his own again as he rode the field off his back wheel.  The next day, was similar, only this time, after he had asserted his authoritt, he waited for Magne and shepherded him to the finish of the stage. 

And so, to the Pyrenees, Vietto won at Pau.  Magne still led the race, but was tiring and there was concern he could lose the lead to the Italian, Gianni Martano.  The next day, Magne crashed on a descent, damaging a wheel.  Martano took advantage and sped off down the road.  Vietto could have gone for glory, but instead gave his front wheel to Magne.  The service vehicle who should have then attended to Vietto didn't get there very quickly, and Vietto through frustration, sat on a wall by the side of the road and cried. 

Magne won the Tour de France.  Vietto was 5th, now dubbed Le Roi René by the Press.  Vietto never won the Tour de France.  He was in Yellow in 1935, and also for 9 days in 1947 when his best years were behind him - lost to the War and also through knee operations.

http://home-1.tiscali.nl/~edwinsel/pics/renners/tn_vietto,rene,sacrifice1,tour1934%20(culham.info)_e.jpg

• Options
    Si J wrote (see)
    James- just read back and seen your funny monkey feet shoes- does anyone comment on them when you are out? i am tempted to get a pair as they look really liberating.

The only comments I get are from my daughter but I think that is the embarrassing dad syndrome. Anyway I move to fast for anyone to see them image

• Options
    PSC - What a fantastic racing weight! So glad you enjoyed the Ironman experience!

LMH - So excited for you about Prague! I'll be away then too, but may have to find a McDonalds to nip into for the free Wi-fi!!

Elspeth - well done for getting out there, even when you are tired. I baked instead.

Mr Bump - There really is no substitute for getting into schools primary and secondary if you're not sure which you'd prefer) and experiencing the children/talking to the teachers and seeing how they work. I know it would be difficult when you're working full time, but even in the years when Mr DGs course isn't full they won't let people on without them having spent time in a school. Primary teacher training courses are very competitive to get onto, but where there's a will there's usually a way! Men are positively encouraged, but I still think you have to be quite strong and able to cope with being (often) the only man in the school!

I'm not too pushy a ballet parent, and only get a teeny bit upset at the blatant favouritism that goes on! However I think the swimming pushy parents are even more scary!

For tea we had a barbecue!

• Options

LB - sorry to hear about Miss LB's lovely jacket.  Nasty, jealous little boy and not a good note for him to leave this school on, especially if this bad behaviour continues into the next school and isn't nipped in the bud.  One more sleep until house guests go and four more sleeps until Portugal!  image

Shades - agree that Sturminster Newton is a beautiful little town very similar to the backstreets of Swanage without the lovely beach.  If unlucky with FLM in October, would love to do North Dorset Village Marathon next year and it's only 25 miles away from home.  

Mr Bump - re the teaching info - you're most welcome.  Primary schools need more male teachers as female teachers far outnumber them in our school and sure I've heard this somewhere else before and it's not just a local phenomena.  There is only one male teacher in our school and a male Headteacher and that is over 8 years (16 classes).  For primary teaching, you need the basic GCSE passes in English, Maths and Science at Grade C or higher and a degree with relevant subjects that are taught in the national syllabus.  Really glad to hear Mrs Bump has had no sinister calls tonight.  Rene Vietto's story is quite sad, but how loyal he was to his team leader.  Much as I adore Lance, do you think he would really do that for Alberto?  Missed TdeF again tonight because of Flossette's music, but she did play well until she could stand the pain no more (see posting to LMH).  image

LMH - the pool didn't work out as I had a phone call earlier on to get to Sturminster Newton with pain relief for Flossette.  Deep Freeze seems to really work and a mix of paracetamol and ibuprofen doses taking care not to exceed the daily doses on either - we write everything down to make sure, it's the only way.  She managed half the concert and broke down in tears in the interval and her Music Mummy (Catherine) came to find me and I decided there and then to get her home quickly.  She's comfortable now, safe in her bed and will keep her as painfree as possible tomorrow and off to the chiropractor on Saturday.  I will get some training in tomorrow as wasn't too sure whether to stay near the phone or not today - it was somewhat awkward.  Right, what's this white powder for then?  As long as the airport dogs sniff it and leave it, surely that will be fine?  image

• Options
    DG - am not a pushy music parent either.  Am just a taxi driver image.  However, was advised tonight by Flossette's Music Mummy (Catherine's mentored Lucy ever since she joined Dorset Youth Orchestra - she's lovely!) that Lucy is good enough to audition for Dorset Youth's main orchestra.  That's the next two years of GCSE courses at Grammar School and the possibility of belonging to both main orchestras for Dorset Youth and Wessex Youth plus the school orchestra.  I know she'll succeed because she's already asked me to take her to the music shop to find a suitable piece for double bass like the theme tune to Harry Potter or something like that.  Whilst I'm very proud of her and know she's very capable, there is a part of me that is beginning to get concerned that she might be overloading herself.  Am I just being a mother hen?  image
  • Options

I had ginger Purbeck ice cream for dessert tonight after a rather forgettable picnic - ice cream was divine, haven't had that for ages - back on the diet tomorrow morning.  image

Off to bed.  Nite nite.  image

• Options
    Flossie - What a talented daughter you have! If Flossette is enjoying her playing and you're prepared, and able to cope, with the running around I'm sure she can do everything. The biggest problem I've noticed with the talented ones in school is when the concert dates clash everyone will think their concert is the most important one and I've seen children have horrendous pressure put on them to be in three places at once, and grudges born afterwards. You'll know if you think that's likely to happen and how Flossette would cope with having to make such choices. Its a nice dilemma to have, but a tricky one! When do you stop being a supportive parent and become a pushy one, and then again when you watch Wimbledon, you realise how many of the stars had pushy parents, but then again have they scared their children for life? Its a minefield isn't it!
  • Options

Morning.

Sorry to hear about Flossette, I'm sure you're looking after her well. Ben and Jerry have started doing a frozen yoghurt version of their Phish Food ice-cream - I've bought a tub in case the ice-cream cravings get too much whilst I'm trying to watch the calories during my taper!

Elspeth - I would think that coming back from holiday and straight into extra hours at work would wear you out quite a bit. FWIW I'd skip the 10k and go for a LslowR. If you really don't mind updating mail me your mobile number through the site - thank you.

DG - you must be having better weather than us if you were BBQing last night.

Mr B - as the others have said I think male primary teachers are much in demand. I think my new bike is full carbon (I'm worried I've lead you astray now) it's the one I linked to - the Specialized Ruby Comp.

Struggling a little with this taper lark - I'm going to come out with over 10 hours training this week still. Will have to try harder next week.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SiJ - I do lose count but I have my trusty spreadsheet so I can check on statsimage

HY4 - Absolutely no running for you this weekend if you have a painful chest

LMH - I won't be near a PC on the 8th August as travelling to the IOM but I'll text VR or Elspeth for your result, will be thinking of you.

Elspeth - can you use the Nikes for the very short runs or your JG group?   I expect you're tired after coming back to all that work after your hols

Mr Bump - I'm glad I've DNS'd Faverhsam as I hear on the news that the traffic tonight is going to be horrendous, 50% up on normal Friday due to the start of the school hols and peeps holidaying more in the UK

Flossie - well done to Flossette, she gets her determination from her Mum I think.   I will let you know when entries open for NDM as it will fill quickly, my favourite marathon now.  Date is 2nd May I think

Lovely run this morning 6.6 miles in light rain, flat route so only slight twinge.

I probably won't be on line tonight as I want to watch the athletics at 6pm, will try and post from work if I can.  Auditor is back todayimage

• Options

Flossie- poor Flossette. She sounds very talented. I wouldn't worry about her overloading herself, as long as she is enjoying what she is doing and having fun. Children are much more resiliant than us adults.

Bumpy- i am warming to Armstrong as well. He has maturity and self control on his side, which is missing in some of the others. Rene Vietto's story is very sad but he was a true teamplayer willing to sacrifice his own victory. Not many sportsman like that around anymore. I agree with everyone else- there aren't enough male primary school teachers- only one at my children's school.

Elspeth- I also felt very tired the week after my hols- it takes a bit of time to get used to working again and sounds like you have been rushed off your feet.

DG- Bar-b-q? Its been raining here for days!

I need to get out for an 8 mile run this morning but it is pouring with rainimage

• Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Morning all

Mr Bump, I work in a school, doing pretty much what Flossie does.  I think the idea of more male teachers is essential.  For a start, I think this benefits the older boys, and makes for a happier work environment.

We only have one male teacher,  one male teaching assistant, and a male caretaker.  Could definitely do with more men, to even up the numbers.

Im so impressed with people looking into further study, and career changes.  Your a motivated bunch!

Obscure, and probably stupid question alert.  Why dont they have TdF for woman?

• Options

Just written a reply but it was too long and RW swallowed it up! image

Now I'm sulking....

• Options

They do HTF but they're not allowed to call it the TdF and it's shorter. They've already had it this year - strangely it didn't get any tv coverage as far as I know.

Shades - a professional question if you don't mind? Or anyone else who knows the answer. If I should find myself in the position of having two part time jobs what are the implications tax wise? Do HMC (or whatever they're called these days) work it out automatically through PAYE or will I end up having to submit a tax return or something?

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie,

I would be thinking the same about time committments for Flossette.

Shades,

I thought you would say that.  This is what I'm also thinking to a certain extent, however when I had that virus last year the consult postively encouraged me to get out there and my chest is feeling like that at the moment.  Although today is the best day so far.  I just need to get thru it without any naps and have a stronger voice.

• Options

Morning and it's raining again Grrrrrr.
    haven't been out on my bike for ages image I have been running though.....slowly

Lovely bike LMH  image If I was rich I would have a room full of them and ride a differnt one each day!

Mr. Bump- Poor Vietto, I wonder if he ever regreted that.
    Funny that your warming to Armstrong, one has to admire him coming back like this. he said that he will come back stronger next year, probably the oldest competitor
    What are we going to do when The Tour  finishes?
    Can you recommend any good Tour de France books to read so I can take on holiday with me?

Elspeth - Stick with it. Agree with LMH on doing a long run. I think it will make you feel more positive and you can move on from there.

• Options

VR - Hi, raining here too, just when I finally get some free time and its been lovely all weekimage

Going to go and make soup and cake and hope it improves.

Know you and LMH are right about LSR - but if I have to take Thomas to Stromness for the run anyway.....??? still not decided.

LMH will mail you my number just as soon as I find my phone!

Flossie - Hope Flossette recovers soon.

LB - Stop sulking and come back and talk to usimage

• Options
    Elspeth - What about doing the 10k then go back home then out for some more miles. Kill two birds with one stone image You could  spend all day feeling smug and cream crackered.
  • Options

Sorry to hear about Flossette, but what a talented daughter!

Rubbish about the jacket LB,how annoying

Very envious of bike LMH, you must be super-excited now!

VRs suggestion sounds good Elspeth - as long as you can resist hammering the 10k!

I am supposed to be doing 8 today but have to do some work first image

I too am warming to Lance but main obsession is can Bradley make it to the podium! (We seem to be calling him Wiggo now?)

Re Tour Feminin - we were once caught up accidentally in the Tour Feminin de L'Aude when on a cycle camping tour. Ended up cycling up a massive hill into the stage finish on my hybrid with heavy panniers. Spectators (who were waiting for the racers to arrive) were crowded on  the side of the road yelling Allez Allez at us! Would normally have got off and wheeled but felt we had to keep cycling under the circumstances. image

• Options

Fab run this morning - my first since racing.  5 miles D&D.  Legs didn't like the uphills but seem to be working OK. image

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

PSC - any chance of a link to your report again?image

Pretty please.

Probably best to read it on my blog - this is likely to be repeated on the home page soon too! image

• Options
    LMH - hows the taper going?  Go easy on the new bike of yours..... and (if I forget later) the very best of luck on the 8th.
  • Options

What a report! I'm reading and grinning at the same time! image Thanks PSC - I loved reading that, and the pic at the end is amazing! You were never a very big bloke, but you look so LEAN at the moment! image

Not sulking anymore. image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

Thanks for the report & well done again.

• Options

I struggle not to do too much in the taper PSC, this week is three weeks out so no long sessions but it will still be a little over ten hours. Next week I shall try to just do an hour to an hour and a half each day but with a little more intensity and race week will be difficult as I travel to Prague on The Wednesday, happy to rest up more and eat that week though, for the time being I'm having to keep an eye on the calories.

VR - strangely enough bikes do nothing for me. I've gradually been talked into this one in a 'why make things harder for yourself than they need to be' way. I think I have a lot more work to do on the engine before I could even consider paying any more than that for a bike to improve my performance. Thinking about it I'm like that with everything - if my car is reliable I don't care how old it is, I don't do jewellery or designer labels or aspire to the latest kit or gadget.

Sluggie - I'm trying to control my nerves more than anything - and succeeding in getting a bit of a grip I think. Are you racing tomorrow or Sunday?

Elspeth - no rush! Harder decision if you have to go to the race anyway. What are you baking?

45/30 minute turbo/treadie brick done - all I'm allowed today!