Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Afternoon all.

My knee's good today Nic - I've walked into town and back and felt no twinge at all so it's the track for me tonight.  I'll jump in with the slow group to get me back into it gently, no need for me to try and go hell for leather!  You all ready for Sunday's 10k?  I'm envious of you, I want to get back racing! image

Not sure if spinning will help your running Claire, however it will be good cardio which has got to be good. image

K4T, I think you're focussing too much on HR when you talk about LSR's.  The idea is to run a long way at a slow pace to build up your stamina.   It doesn't matter whether your HR is 90bpm or 160bpm, you just need to get the miles in at a slow pace.  Some runners at my club do their LSR's at 7:00 pace and at the other end of the spectrum some do it at 11:00 pace - it just depends on what level you're at.  Does that make sense?  As for your 201 HR, that's scary lol!

Glad to hear your knee is on the mend Jac, it sounds like you missed your training as much as I'm missing mine.

• Options

Hi folks, welcome newbies,

Sorry can't keep up with all of the chat. Having a nightmare week at work unfortunately.

Good to see the injuries appear to be on the mend C and CB. My ankle is finely feeling ok. Going to leave it a few more days then do a baby 2 miler  and start building up from there. I've been out so long I'm really scared to over do it and end up back on the bench for another few months. I need new legs! Physio says I have to do yoga too to strengthen core and stretch out my muscles after a run... I'm trying but its soooo boring. Maybe rollerblading is the way to go?

Any goss from anyone recently?

• Options

Blimpy...you can take my place on Sunday if you wantimage if you think  you can convince them your called Nicola haha!  You will be happy to hear that im all dressed ready to go for my run (the one i shouldve done at the weekend) decided that as ive set up intervals on my watch i am going to go for time rather than distance.  Im setting my watch up to do 6 x run6/walk4 to see how far i can get in an hour using this strategy (thanks Carol for the strategyimage)!  Bit worried as im feeling my right heel today and had a twinge in my right foot on my last run so a bit scared that my PF is making a return! Will tape my foot up when i get home

Glad to hear your knee is twinge free!!  I hope it stays like that!!

Hey Jac, its good to see you back!  Glad to see your back in training, you sound like your looking forward to it!

K4T...echo what Blimpy is saying about your HR, dont worry about it too much, as you get used to the distance it will come down anyway...or do what i do and dont wear your HRM (im too scared to see what mine would come out asimage)

Right, off out my run...happy running to anyone else going out! And happy resting to those of you who arentimage!

• Options

No goss Micro...life is dull just now, its been a while since we have had a good bit of goss...we need to get Sara on more often....not had an update on her lovelife in a whileimage!!

Glad to hear it wont be too much longer til you get out again.  Have you got a Wii Fit board? I find the yoga on there quite fun to do, makes it a bit more interesting than just following a dvd

• Options
    K4T wrote (see)

Meglet - I've been trying to keep LSR between 65%-70% but it goes to pot on the hills for me too! I know I will go faster in races, just disappointed it was really slow on Sunday! Mind you I was decorating all day before I went, so I might not have been properly rested, will have to see how I do this week.

I thought the idea of LSR was to build aerobic base as well as get miles in the legs. If my HR is going too high during this run would I still be training my body at the right level to increase aerobic capacity? Or will just running at a steady pace ignoring HR achieve the same goal?

yep, an LSR is to build endurance and improve your aerobic ability. even if you're training for a marathon it is run slower than your target race pace.

the HR-trainging theory goes that you improve your aerobic capacity best by running only aerobically. if you go above 70% HR you are using a mix of aerobic and anaerobic ability which does not efficiently train either system. you will still get benefit, it might take longer though. the "slow" bit of the LSR is just about that, keeping HR down, even if you dont measure it.

one theory, though, says that you should do ALL your running at sub-70% until you no longer have any improvement in pace (for same HR), then introduce the faster stuff. it gets a bit boring if you do this and you do lose some of the pace for higher HR.

if you're interested in using your HRM for training then read up around it. i used a RW article (its in my bookmarks) to get the basics. the most important thing to to find your max and min, not by calculating them, then work from there (and its not 70% of maxHR, its 70% of working HR-article explains it).

personally i've found it works for me. i started in january and for 70% was running about 14mm!! (you have to go slower first or you cant get the HR low enough). its helped me be more efficient up hills by finding a way to stop HR going too high whilst climbing. i can now do about 12-12.30mm for same HR and for the GNR it was my legs that limited me rather than my breathing (as it used to be, having done very little cardiovasclar exercise before). I did give up for the last few LSR before GNR which were slightly faster (for not much more HR) and gave me some race confidence.

sorry thats rather a long post, hope that helps. MD6 has also used HR training to good effect.

for anyone who's not interested in HR training just make sure you alter your pace for different runs-some slower, some faster...

• Options

CB and Nic - Thanks for the advice on HR, that's made it clearer for my confused brain, over-analysing again! image Looking forward to my LSR this week now not having to worry about HR!

My HR used to scare me but I figure my resting pulse is ok and it recovers fairly quickly, plus I haven't collapsed yet so I don't think I'm going to drop down dead on a run any time soon!

Nic, sorry missed that you're racing on Sunday, what are you aiming for?

• Options

Nic can't believe that your race is on Sunday.  Are you still planning to meet up with everyone (so enviousimage) Hope your PF doesn't return

Blimpey good to hear the ankle is feeling better and good luck with the track tonight.  Yep definitely missed the training.

M* hope your first run goes ok.  You're right to do a 'baby' one just to make sure the ankle is ok.  Thats what I intended to do on Friday and I've not been out of action for as long as you image

K4T I used to look at my heart rate when I as on the cross trainer but stopped - it scared me too much

• Options

Hi all

Have drawn the short straw, life has got in the way and as a result I can't do my run til after 4.30, then tomorrow have to do run in the am, that never works out well...

TTN - How did your test run go ?

K4T - reading the stuff about heart rates with interest, I worked mine out, with the zones etc but find it hard to keep it v. low when running, running slow however is never a problem for me.. Although i have the monitor, I mostly just go by feel at the moment and check it on the stats when I have finished.

Jam - you are so speedy.. I am envious

Happy running to everyone else (Jac, M*)

Em

• Options
    Blimpy - I knew it was a cunning plan to get me in the class!!!  Ah well it was fun.
  • Options

Just finished my run, was supposed to do 6 x run6/walk4 but had to give up after 5, was getting a sharp pain in my ankle that was radiating right up the full length of my leg (no idea what was causing it though, was getting quite a few sharp pains in my lower legs so wondering if its time for new shoes?)

so did 5 x r6w4 and covered 3.72miles in the 50mins.  Happy enough with this as i kept the pace really slow (12min/miling when running, and know i could go much faster on Sunday, means that my time might not be too bad after all!! Keeping it at that pace today would give me an estimated 10km finish time of 1hr24mins, if i can up the pace and keep that up for the 6miles i could hopefully finish in under 1hr20 which would be brilliant!!

• Options

ps. K4T...just hoping to cross the finish line to be honest, i mucked up my training pretty badly!

Hope your runs go Em, its not much recovery time for you, what sort of distances are you doing?

Hopefully Jac, not sure if im gonna make it to the pasta party now so im not sure what the plan is?  Hoping to meet Caz at some point!  Who else is doing it, is it just Caz and me? Is BJB doing the 5km?

• Options

Nic

Hope your ok, sounds like good times for your run. Maybe it is time for new trainers?

I've decided im going to attempt a shorter but faster rune tomorrow, that should be funimage

• Options

Sounds good Claire, fast always sounds like more funimage!!  What sort of distance are you planning on doing?

Yeah i think it might be time for new trainers, but ive only done 110miles in themimage they definately dont feel as cusioned as they used to but it seems crazy that ive not done that much in them, although im surpised its only 110miles ( i really need to run moreimage!image!)

• Options

Em, Do you think i'm speedy?image I thought i was just a normal runner type.  Been making some fab veggie stuff at work today, tortilla wraps with roast pumpkin, raisins and smoked paprika. Yum!!

Meglet- really found your bit on HR very useful.

Blimpy- have a good session at the track later!

M* - good luck with your baby run, hope it goes well, stay twinge free!!

K4T- Wow what a heart rate I have never really measured mine but i don't think it's that high, how do you feel after hitting HR like that?  

• Options

Nic, you don't need new runners if you've only ran 110 miles in them.  My current ones are at approx 510 miles and are still good for about another 200 miles and the way it's going with injuries, those 200 miles may take years to complete lol!  I'd love to take your place in Sunday's race, I need to beat my PB - desperately! image

Hi to everyone else,  hope all injuries heal and if you're training - WORK HARDER!!!

• Options

Nic - I don't know distance wise definately 2miles - its 1 lap of a park near me.

Colonel - Sir yes sir image I'll work harder Good to know that about trainers though had no idea, just thought like Nic that when things hurt its time for new trainers.

• Options
    Jam123 wrote (see)

)HI Miss A (jo) Glad you have got the bug for running, hoe are you finding the 5k training program? By the way I'm a demon cake maker too!!image

Loving it. image Was a bit scared of jumping from wks 1/2 to week 3 but no bother! Just back from first session of wk3. Wanted to run further and longer but am being almost saintly in my adherence to the program (unless I need to repeat).  

Nice to meet a fellow cake maker too! Thats what I'm off to do now. Got to make 10 for the shop for tomorrow!

Anyone got any good stretches I can do while watching telly of an evening for lower calf? Got a really  tight one of my left side which responds to stretching but is a bit of a pain during the walking parts of the sessions. 

K4T - ha! thanks!, I feel scared and sick at the thought but need to have a LTG. image

• Options
    Just off to the track now, I'll report back later on. hopefully, a nice, productive, injury-free session!
  • Options

lol! Love the order Colonel! Will we have to get down and give you 20 if we don't image

Nic, I'm sure come race day the adrenaline, support and atmosphere of the race will pull you through just fine.

Jam - just after I've hit 200+ I feel sick, have a beetroot face and am gasping for water image  Within a couple of minutes my HR is back to normal and I feel human again! During training I usually hit around 189-193 on short hard intervals and seriously need the 1-3 mins recovery in between those. My tempo runs are usually 177-184 and I can carry on a conversation and keep at it for about 30 mins (or an hour in races!) However because my HR does go quite high I think a lot of my running is anaerobic rather than aerobic so I hope the longer slow runs will help more on the aerobic side!

• Options
    Miss A - possibly can't do it front of the telly but hanging your heel off the back of a step might help? Hold it for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times, it should get slightly looser each time. I get really tight calfs and this one helps me. Also a bit of self massage will help get blood flow into the muscle and help it repair (that one you can do in front of the TV!) 
  • Options

Reet, I'll give those two a try thanks!

Blimpy, hope all goes well!

• Options

Afternoon all, mad mad day here... Righto here goes:

HR training, Meg has sumed it up quite well, I find that I run more to a HR than to a pace, I started with it a little higher - trying to keep below say 80%, then as that became easier below 75% etc I now can average a HR of about 150 at 8'30 pace, and hold a conversation and go at that speed for an hour or 90 mins. I have trained upt o half mara distance this way and kept HR at or about 154 (av) for the run. I can and will do more LSR's at a HR of between 130 and 145 which is about 9'45 pace i think. It is good it works, and my max recorded HR was 193 on a hill session. I'm with K4T i felt like i was about to loose my lunch, lungs and anything else attached to them then pass out when i hit the max level there. if i wasn't at the top of such a steeo hill i would have pushed on though!

Miss A, I have a similar issue i find feet up on the coffee table - straight leg and pull toes back towards myself with the other foot stretches out the calf quite well image

• Options
    K4T wrote (see)
    Miss A - possibly can't do it front of the telly but hanging your heel off the back of a step might help? Hold it for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times, it should get slightly looser each time. I get really tight calfs and this one helps me. Also a bit of self massage will help get blood flow into the muscle and help it repair (that one you can do in front of the TV!) 

The one off the edge of a step is great!  Its helped my sore calf loads!

Hope things go well at the track Blimpy, look after those knees of yours!

• Options

Evening All,

Miss A - Resist, follow the plan see how you feel at the end, then progress and do different training with more variety. I followed an 8 week plan to the end and went from never running in my life, to running 7mile LSR! It's tempting to do more and more, take it easy no rush is their? On the cake front I did cake decoration as a hobby many years ago, now I love making new exciting flavoured cakes, buns, breads etc, I'm off shortly to make Courgette, pesto and Goat Cheese Bread.

KT- The LSR's should sort you out, and they are very pleasurable.

Blimpo- good luck at the track!!

Evening to the rest of newbies 2 & Nic

• Options

Hi everyone

Did disaster run this afternoon, legs felt like lead, forgot water, also decided to check recalibration of foot pod and found that it is indeed out, so haven't run as far as thought on runs - not loads less but enough. Feel v. p**d off, know its my own fault for trusting it, thought it seemed right at beginning and just kept on with it. Also means that I actually run a bit slower than I thought too, but that doesn't bother me.

Anyway did just under 5 in the end, with not much differention between the slow and fast miles, will try and be more positive tomorrow, 7 to do in the morning.  Have only 4 weeks to marathon and so there is a finite amount I can do to rectify situation. Ho hum

K4T - your running is going great guns!

Ms Assister - I have done the moray 10k a couple of times, the marathon would be great too, v. picturesque

Em

• Options

evening image

K4T wrote (see)

was about to say that...

do it a second time with your leg slightly bent too, making sure your weight is still down through heel, it will get much lower in the calf (soleus)

MD6 wrote (see)

Afternoon all, mad mad day here... Righto here goes:

HR training, Meg has sumed it up quite well, I find that I run more to a HR than to a pace, I started with it a little higher - trying to keep below say 80%, then as that became easier below 75% etc I now can average a HR of about 150 at 8'30 pace, and hold a conversation and go at that speed for an hour or 90 mins. I have trained upt o half mara distance this way and kept HR at or about 154 (av) for the run. I can and will do more LSR's at a HR of between 130 and 145 which is about 9'45 pace i think. It is good it works, and my max recorded HR was 193 on a hill session. I'm with K4T i felt like i was about to loose my lunch, lungs and anything else attached to them then pass out when i hit the max level there. if i wasn't at the top of such a steeo hill i would have pushed on though!

Miss A, I have a similar issue i find feet up on the coffee table - straight leg and pull toes back towards myself with the other foot stretches out the calf quite well image

wow, great results Mark image

i think a lot of people make the mistake of running all their training too hard. you'll get injured very quickly and also tire yourself out and not be able to recover in time for your next run. thats why you dont run long runs at race-pace.

one of the Fetch runners (eL Bee) trained for the 10 in 10 earlier this year (10 marathons in 10 days) by running every day, sometimes several short runs in a day, and mainly at an easy pace (he was running with his wife so mainly ran at her pace, though she's not slow...). not only did he complete the 10 in 10 really well he also PBd at almost every distance in the lead-up. it just shows what lots of easy miles can do.

• Options

x-post with Em, your legs are probably still tired from the half at the weekend.

the accuracy of the foot-pod will depend a little bit how it works. the Nike+ (I think) uses a pedometer type thing, ie just counts steps, which relies on your stride length being regular (or at least averaging out over a run). some use accelerometers, the things that are in wii-remotes and i-phones, and once calibrated are much more accurate.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

evening allimage

TTN hope your ankle is ok by weekend, I'm sure you will get carried along by the adrenaline on the day. I really enjoyed my race, none of the things i'd been worrying about happened, so i hope yours goes as smoothly.

Jam, i love the sound of your food today, i love goats cheese and roast pumpkin.

Em, don't worry about a crap run today, I bet your legs are still tired from the race, cos i know mine are....and you ran much further!

col B , hope you had good GENTLE run,

I went to gym this eve and did some skipping and boxing for fun, i loved it. I just couldn't face a run, but i plan a 5k tomorrow. For my next goal I am thinking of a half marathon in march,but am also toying with doing 2k row in dec, it was a ambition of mine years ago but i didn't have the confidence. Running has given me so much more confidence. Or am i venturing over to a very dark side thereimage

Hi all other newbies, wave to all, as too many to name. 

• Options

Meglet, Do they do one marathon over the course of a day or straight constant running for the lenth of a mara each day?image Wow

Em, hope your 7 miler is a happier affair tomorrow.