Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

hello all
                Thanks very much for your kind remarks really much appreciated

Sharkie
                   Just love that last sentence i talk like that all day at work so you done a hurtful fun session

ray

• Options

Evening all.

I DNF the Jog Shop Jog 20. You have to reach 9.5 miles in 2hrs, I got lost just before it. But I didn't go that far out of my way and my Garmin said 9.90 miles at the 9.5 mile mark. If you are outside the time your race is cut short 2 miles, so I plodded on with 2 sweepers but then at 11.5 miles they said I could carry on or pull out if I wanted to. I decided to pull out because I would be out side the finishing cut off time and if I pulled out we could pack up the caravan and get home earlier. I thought it would be better for Bernard as he starts work at 4:45am tomorrow morning.

Bernard did the route on Saturday but a bit of a different start place. He did 20 miles in 4:34:45. He was run/walking until 13 miles and then walked the rest except for the sprint at the end to get under 4:35. He says Beachy is going to be hard work.

Why Bernard did his run I took the kids to the playgrounds in Brighton. We visit everyone until the old burn pier. We had lunch out in Burger King.

• Options

JJ No, the only person who has to work things out is Pete our coach, who might well get knackered making the sessions work for everyone young and old, girls and boys, fit or less so.

Like you we just run.
    FAST.

• Options
    PussyPussy ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Tracey- sorry the Jog20 was a struggle. Perhaps dining at Burger King was not good race preparation!

K2 - how about MGIAG - Must Give It A Go. Won't be easy. Agree withSharkie, keeping injury-free is priority. 

Busbar - delighted that the Race Organisers recognised their mistake. Well done and well deserved.

Sharkie - I believe in breaking into a walk occasionally rather than failing to finish. Somehow it is less of a disappointment. I am sure that psychology plays a huge part in our running. However, I think that sensibility is the `ability to appreciate and to respond to adrenaline'! Which bit of your charm is dubious?

Advice please experts. One of my favourite speed sessions is one minute jog, one minute eyeballs out, one minute walk. Love it! But is it any use, and if so, what for?

I own an elliptical trainer which is good for X-Training sessions and I use it a lot. I appreciate that the best training for running is running, but do any of you have equipment in the home which helps with your training?

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Ray - BRILLIANTimage! You must be SO pleased. I suppose you thought you'd come 2nd until you got the phone call.

Pussy - (going back a bit now) - your friendly local pedant confirms that "is" is correct. And, don't change your head. Roadside mirrors clearly distort, and belong in Halls of Mirrors.

Sharkie/K2/JJ - re the SMART targets - am used to these as they are or were commonly incorporated in work with children on schools' "special needs" registers. But seemed to me that the Achievable and Realistic were much the same thing, and suspect they were both included because it made a better acronym (SMAT or SMRT not having quite the same ring to it...). JJ, I love your version, and may send it on to some of my ex-colleagues.

K2 - how long was that ultra, then?

I ran today for 1 hour 29 minutes 48 seconds, to town, through town and out the other side then back. Part of this was along a rather nasty road where the traffic tends to hurtle down hills and around bends; however, a few years ago Sustrans (bless their hearts) constructed a cycle path which runs along a stretch of it, separated from the road by a hedge, so now it's much safer and pleasanter. Like Pussy, I have only a car milometer and a stop-watch so don't know the distance (milometer no help as part of it was through a park and another part along a track by a field, where a car can't go) but guess it's about 7-8 miles.

Nobody going to give me their opinion (correction: his or her opinion) of "base layers"? 

• Options
    JJ - There were 2 deck chairs there today. Will you let me know how they got on please. A very nice marshall drove me back to my campsite image
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Ray great time and perfect placing - great performance well done

Graham welcome back.

Sorry forgotten most of what I've just read, sorry to any important bits I've missed.

Liz has now been moved to a ward rather than the assessment centre, hopefully we will see the consultant tomorrow to review short and long term options and then make a plan.

Today ran the Solent Half around an undulating course, nothing big but continual ups ( but less downs !!) and a couple of long drags of about 3/4M. I paid the penalty for only 88M in 6 weeks, I think you'll spot where my calf muscles went into cramp. Plan was to run comfortably fast for at least half the race and then hang on as best I could, best laid plans and all that.

1)  - 1m - 7:18(7:18/m) - 153bpm avge  - 160bpm max - at least slower than last year
    2)  - 1m - 7:24(7:24/m) - 157bpm avge  - 163bpm max - settling down
    3)  - 1m - 7:28(7:28/m) - 159bpm avge  - 163bpm max - a few gentle ups and douns in miles 2 & 3
    4)  - 1m - 7:32(7:32/m) - 157bpm avge  - 159bpm max - up
    5)  - 1m - 7:19(7:19/m) - 157bpm avge  - 159bpm max - down then flat
    6)  - 1m - 7:29(7:29/m) - 157bpm avge  - 159bpm max - steady, breathing good, halfway 48.30
    7)  - 1m - 7:27(7:27/m) - 157bpm avge  - 159bpm max - steady, but lose breathing at the end
    8)  - 1m - 7:45(7:45/m) - 157bpm avge  - 159bpm max - slow down, breathing under control again
    9)  - 1m - 8:04(8:04/m) - 156bpm avge  - 158bpm max - sh*t, left calf tightens
    10)  - 1m - 8:25(8:25/m) - 155bpm avge  - 157bpm max - double s, right joins in - ok can still jog. 10M in 1.16
    11)  - 1m - 9:15(9:15/m) - 149bpm avge  - 155bpm max - left calf gone, stop stretch
    12)  - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 153bpm avge  - 156bpm max - long drag, right calf goes, run/stop/stretch repeat
    13)  - 1m - 9:01(9:01/m) - 152bpm avge  - 155bpm max - got to finish we need 12 to finish for 3 full teams and we've only got 12 - run/stop/stretch repeat
    14)  - 0.14m - 1:08(8:05/m) - 153bpm avge  - 155bpm max - "sprint" finish pipped at line by Jogger who was 4 mins behind me at 10M.

Time 1.44.28, wHR 82% - luckily calf muscles didn't cramp up completely as they did at Abingdon in 2005. Couldn't expect much with so little training.

Mike T 

• Options
    Empty - Well done on your half. It was a bit windy today, well it was not the yellow brick road on the South Downs. Hope Liz get sorted this week and can come home as I know that she is probably not enjoying herself in hospital.
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    good morning---EMPTY---Thats a good time on a undulating course and windy conditions well done
  • Options

Good morning folks... sorry to butt in. I would like some one to answer this small question please...
    In 1980 I ran the Berlin marathon in 4hrs 12 mins and in 1990 the Athens Marathon in 4hrs 35. I know it isn't fast but in 2010 I have an entry for the VLM.. So the question is .. At the age of 64 With structured training can I hope to find that speed again. I am running 3 times a week at the moment up to 10 km a time but nothing structured just for keeping fit......

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Well done to Ray and Empty on your races all good stuff. Empty very good time on limited training

Tracey - sorry about your dnf, but all good training nonetheless

Gatton - Hello i've seen you on other threads particularly local races i sometimes do
    I'll leave it to the others to give advice.
  • Options

Morning all

Dentist visit done. Money from charity sale returned to neighbour. Work as soon as I've finished my cuppa.

Tracey
    Shame about the race but hey ...................... Two weeks to beachy..   image

Columba
    35 miles.  7:26.
    Base layers - I tend to wear a long-sleeved top and a jacket with zip-off sleeves in the winter. If really cold and I'm doing a long training run, I'd add a vest over the L/S top.  Several light layers better than one very warm one.

JJ
    Not sure about four sessions at the mo but it's for consideration.

Empty
    Hope Liz gets treatment sorted soon.
    Good that you finished. Your stress levels must have been pretty high recently so it's a credit to you that you even started.

Gatton
    Hi.

• Options

Good morning

Haven't read back yet.

5.08M; 59:31; 11:43/M; hr148 m155
    11:42 144 155
    11:44 148 155
    11:40 152 155
    11:47 150 155
    11:37 145 152

I tried to do 5 miles all in the 11:40s bracket and would have succeeded but for the fact that I couldn't slow the last mile down enough. Maybe I should have tried getting all the HR peaks on 155!image

al

• Options

K2 - 2 weeks to Beachy and Bernard is doing it with me even better image 

aws - I think your did pretty good with your target this morning, so don't beat yourself up about it.

Going to have a rest day today and then going for a run before my massage tomorrow morning.

• Options

good morning

mass unplanned descent of family and relatives yesterday from far and wide meant yesteray disappeared after my early morning run.

Ray
    excellent race and time - well done. Even better getting the V60 first placeimage!
    Looks like the hill at the finish took its toll - one never gains sufficient advantage runing downhill to compensate for the inevitable uphill particularly at the finish!!

Empty
    ouch -  cramp in a race - you really must have put it all out there. You were going so well up to mile 9 and you looked relatively untroubled aerobically so the cramp may have been syptomatic of something else rather than a lack of fitness. You still did very well

Tracey
    tough call - you were being too nice againimage!!
    hope the recovery progresses well...................................

K2, Columba, Diana
    looks like it was the weekend for long runs - well done all in getting them doen. Hope the weather was as good for you as it was for me doing mine

Sharkie
    crikey - the dreaded numbness striking during sprint training - and it's not winter yet!!
    Good on you for getting through it and battering the second part

Columba
    base layer = the first layer put on next ot the skin. It presupposes that another layer goes on top of it (being pedantic!!) but as with most things it has ben a bit corrupted
    it could be just a simple wicking tee shirt (a "techie" tee shirt) that draws sweat away for the skin and aids evaporation in conjunction with another outer layer or a breathable jacket but more commonly is a fabric that has thermal insulation properties as well as wicking properties so that one can keep warm and dry in cooler weather. These can be synthetic or natural (such as Merino wool) materials but mean that comfort is retained without bulk

Pussy
    it depends upon what one is aiming for in terms of race distance.
    if you saw my note a bit earlier about inteval training then your session fits into the 200/400m category by time and recovery so what you are doing is improving very high end lactate buffering which is a nice to have at the end of a 5K raceimage. Any sort of anaerobic training is of some use once an aerobic base is established to help improve lactate tolerance and the shorter the distance one is aiming to race the more intense the session can be

• Options

Hi Gatton
    interesting query.

It all depends upon how close you were to your maximum potential in the earlier marathons and how much training you had done for them. If for suspect you may not get back to those times again as the ageing process leading to decline in muscle and cardio vascular ability will inevitably take an edge off.

However if you were doing those times off minimum prepartion then the potential to get closer to them is much greater.

I am just about the same age as you. In 1985 I was running a marathon in sub 2:45 and was perhaps at about 90% potential. I can't do that now !!!

The time to start marathon training for next year is now. look for a HM early next year to see where your training is taking you and you will have a better chance of framing realistic goals

• Options

I was in good company yesterday as I ran 10.4 miles in about 97 minutes by KCT as someone had forgotten to switch their Garmin off - and to plug it in for a recharge -doh!!
    Lovely autumn morning - a slight shower gave way to warm sunshine

This am was even better - clear skies and sunny dawn as I trotted 5.68 miles in 50:06 and avHR131(WHR67%) and a  max of 141 on a  perfect recovery run

1m 8:41 hr121
    2m 8:47 hr132 all uphill - pleased with this
    3m 8:44 hr 131
    4m 8:57 hr134
    5m 9:11 hr 135 up Hipps hIll
    .68  5:46 hr135

job done

• Options

Thanks Torque Steer, 
    As you said. I think on reflection, I was not training to anywhere near my potential.In those halcyon days I was working for a sports company that took people to races abroad ( Sportsmans Travel ) and joined in the events when and where I could. So sometimes I was running a marathon a month and then a break and then a few halfs on the trot. So as you can tell there was nothing structured with training or running.

I had a good BUPA medical a couple of months ago and was told everything was OK with heart rate and blood pressure. In fact they were both on the low side but was nothing ot worry about so medically I am OK. Just have to fit in the training for next April and hope for the best.

I have a half booked for December ( Bedford) and one in the new year ( Brighton) will see how things progress..... thanks again , it gives me some confidence of getting around 4.45 for VLM.

• Options

Gatton, good luck with your preparation - keep in touch on this thread, as there is so much helpful advice to be had, and I for one would like to know how it works out for you.

Tracey, bad luck on the DNF, but you managed a very good long run in the sort of terrain you'll cover at Beachy. It will be great to run it with Bernard.

MT, that was a really good result, as you werren't confident of your preparation, and have had a stressful time recently. I do hope the ongoing plan for Liz is sorted out soon.

aws, incredibly even paced run today, and steady HR too!

Another good run from Columba.

K2, I may enter Reading, as it was the first race I ever did, back in 2005. I remember a bit of a climb, so not sure if it's a course to set my pb on, but maybe I could chase you round, and be led to sub 2!

JJ, what you said as a training regime for K2 may well be the way for me to go. I usually do intervals + either hills or tempo on two evenings with the club, about 6 miles on the Friday evening run (and could try pushing the middle 4 miles), so I just have to ensure my week-end run is at least 10 miles. Simples!

• Options
    p.s. In a fit of either enthusiasm or madness, I entered the North Dorset Village Marathon at the week-end. It is quite local, and the week after VLM, so I can train with club mates, or do long runs with them. Also, Plodding Hippo/Benz is doing it and rates it very highly.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hi there

Diana - Good luck with that. Is it a road marathon?

Did a run  earlier this morning but internat  connection kept throwing a wobbly wouldn't stay open for long

Wore my HRM again today not worn it since Sept 11th when i did 6 miles. Today i did 5.22 miles which incidently is my longest run since then was expecting to be out of condition (aiming to keep HR under 140) i was not disappointed

5.22 miles
    10:31 pace
    144 avg HR

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    10:29 135 148
    10:11 143 150
    10:33 146 156
    10:31 146 157
    10:42 148 154
    2:27 149 153

So HR was higher than would like but i wasn't struggling but in HR terms it wasn't an easy run, but hopefully in a few weeks can rectify that

• Options
    What: Pilates sandwiched in a 4 mile hilly walk.
    Why: Make sure legs still moving after yesterday

Felt ok this morning, better than after first week back sessions anyway. Pilates was hard (big surprise). I was almost crying with effort during one exercise. Then laughed because the movement would have looked so minimal. All about muscle isolation again - I can't seem to move my pathetic arms without involving my hypermobile shoulders. I think I will shut up about this until I sort it out.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good day to all,
    Colder and crisper today with beautiful autumn colours in full bloom. My first run in long pants this season.

Busbar,
    A great 10 miler, not much difference between your max and average hr. You must have eithe been in a stable sustainable pace or at your very limit and about to die. Well done that was a fast one and well done on yourAG win.

Diana,
    A marathon, what is it with the ladies on this thread, you seem to unfazed by anything

JJ,
    I like the look of White Horse, I think you mentioned it once before, but it is a little too early. Nothing seems to be advertised so I looked at this years events. I found a run in my home town, a 5 miler which looks like fun. It is May 11th. I could do that and serpies.

MT,
    Well done on your half, it looked tough.

Well my workout today was a little disappointing.
    The objective was to run 3 x 2k at my 10k target pace of 4:25/km. I took 2 min active recoveries. I managed to average 4:25s but it was just too hard and a 4th one would not have been possible.

SUMMARY FOR SELECTED LAPS ON RUN 01
    Home Intervals 3 x 2k at 10k pace with 2 min active, 6c, cloud, felt hard

Total Time =  26 mins 34 secs, Total Distance = 6.00 kms or 3.73 miles
     Avg pace =   04:25  per km   or   07:07  per ml,  Avg WHR =   87.9%

SELECTED LAP DETAIL
    Lap 02 - Duration   =   4:24, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:24 per km or    7:05 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 79.2%, Max WHR = 87.2%

Lap 03 - Duration   =   4:23, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:23 per km or    7:03 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 87.9%, Max WHR = 90.6%

Lap 05 - Duration   =   4:28, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:28 per km or    7:11 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 87.9%, Max WHR = 92.6%

Lap 06 - Duration   =   4:28, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:28 per km or    7:12 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 91.3%, Max WHR = 92.6%

Lap 08 - Duration   =   4:22, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:22 per km or    7:02 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 88.6%, Max WHR = 93.3%

Lap 09 - Duration   =   4:26, Distance = 1.00 kms or 0.62 miles
                  Avg pace =   4:26 per km or    7:08 per mile
                  Avg WHR = 92.6%, Max WHR = 94.0%

Mick

• Options

Sharkie - you would have loved the hills in my race yesterday. The North Face lived up to its name lol.

• Options

Good evening,

Lots to read since Friday.

Graham,
    Welcome back after your Scottish holiday.  Did you do much running there?

Tracey,
    Bad luck on that 20 miler.  You say you got  lost at one stage.    Bit off-putting being strayed from route, misleading signs or lack of marshalls I wonder.

Gatton,
    Welcome to the thread.  Afraid I can't help with your VLM as I have never done a marathon anywhere yet image
    But you will find plenty of encouragement on here from those who have.
    I have been running since I was 63 and I wished I had started a lot earlier than that !

Pussy,
    Like the idea of the 1 minute Jog/Sprint/Walk.  Have you thought about using the Tabata method,  I think you know of it for I think you were on here when I was trying it a few times.   Not using it just now as explained further down page.

Ray(Busbar)
    Deserved congrats on getting the v60 first prize.

MT,
    Amazing how you coped so well with the Solent Half despite both shortage of recent training and the calf botheration at late stage of race.  Well done sir !

• Options

Rather late here with Saturday run, merely of an   aerobic nature.  Sticking to keeping pace down for the sake of right knee which hasn't entirely cleared up it's niggle.  And rather than make it any worse I am satisfied to run like this until knee feels normal again.

10.45.  Avrh 117/ Max128
    10.33   .........128/137
    10.09   .........130/138
    10.04   .........133/138
    10.11   .........132/137
    10.09   .........134/138
    10.40   .........120/137
    Total 7.3

Today,  shades of TS's Garmin failing!    Switched it on just before setting out and the low battery warning came on.  Must have left watch loose in cradle  so charging didn't happen. Doh from me too!

Blast!   Couldn't use the hrm could I !   Any road up, still okay to just get the run done.  Distance was around 6.5 miles judging by the mile markers I know about.  At least the knee is progressing. Maybe next week return to some intervals and even Tabata sessions.