Options

Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    I'm going shopping! Won't be buying those new running shoes, or sox, or shorts!...And now I know GFA is up to 60, I'm going skiing!....Blaah...image~
  • Options

Back from boring meeting...no missed calls 

conspiracy theory...those people who today have been saying this comp isn't life changing, and anyone can get the same with money...I think they got in, but aren't allowed to tell us.

maybe their trying to downplay the comp to spare our feelings.

• Options
    Flanks, I think you are in the same age grouping as me.  I decided earlier this year that if I did not go for the GFA in the next couple of years it would get increasing difficult to achieve.  I have just over 1 minute to knock off my mile pace from last year.  A big ask, but I figure 18-24 months is a reasonable time frame to try and achieve this.  I can at least try.
  • Options
    Hi Dundee, fancy seeing you on here  image    no shortlist yet?  Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

some familur faces here, chick an DR

• Options
    Greetings, RFJ
  • Options

My plan is to try for a GFA place too. I've never run a marathon before, so one step at a time! I think sub 3:15 is a bit ambitious for me at the moment, but it's worth a shot.

The lure of the freebies is a big consideration for me applying for the Super Six - there's no way I could afford a Garmin, coaching etc... But it's probably all academic by now. image

• Options
    Nice to see all the rain, Hellrunner will be well muddy on Sunday now. My wife will be pleased when i get back and hand her the bin liner with my lovely kit in.image
  • Options
    Hey Dizzy - I trust she will be a good wife and show you where the washing machine is! image
  • Options
    Dizzy wrote (see)
    Nice to see all the rain, Hellrunner will be well muddy on Sunday now. My wife will be pleased when i get back and hand her the bin liner with my lovely kit in.image
    You old romantic.....
  • Options
    Hi RFJ and Chick, small world.  Wouldn't say no to a bit of free expert advice - could never afford it any other way (unless my numbers came up on the Lotto).  No Chick there has been no smoke signals yet so you have not missed anything, other than all the idle chatter as people wait by their phones.
  • Options

Good luck to all those going for those GFA places.

Incidentally, why are some members showing as subsribers and some not? I'm a subscriber but it doesn't reflect that in header bar on the f orum unlike others. Hmm????

• Options

She says "When are you going to grow up?"image

Certainly not yet!image

• Options

Checked emails for the 20th time today, nothing. image   Please put me out of my mysery!

• Options
    LBM - have yu entered your subscription number somewhere, I remember when I used to subscribe that you could enter your number somewhere, and it gives you access to some of the articles as well as the little icon.  It soon disappears when your subscription runs out.
  • Options
    Am in the same boat as so many on here.  constanly broke, can't afford coaching or fancy kit so this competition would be a blessing!  GFA would be awesome (I'd need to knock 9mins off my PB for that).  I'm not the most gifted or natural runner, so am seriously struggling to get faster. 
  • Options

DundeeRunner

Yes thanks, I did enter that info months ago.. Just curious, but having looked at the header bar above another member I know is a subscriber, it doesn't actually show him as a subscriber either.  Bit of a mystery as I believe my subscription is still live.

• Options
    Anyone knows from last year if they also publish something on the day they are contacting the lucky ones?
  • Options
    Chick - you are a lot closer to the GFA than me - I have over 25 mins to knock off mine.  I am not a natural either, but I think a lot of hard work and staying injury (and a good dose of luck) might get me there
  • Options
    Nine minutes from GFA is very close, its 18 minutes for me and have to be honest I think my age is against me to knock that much off.  Still no phone call to mention!
  • Options
    Kitty_The_Cat wrote (see)
    Anyone knows from last year if they also publish something on the day they are contacting the lucky ones?
    last year they just chose.no vote but they didn't put anything up about the winners till a month later.so don't hold yiur breathe.if you haven't heard by now then you won't be in.
  • Options
    Ahh just had a look at the times required for GFA, for men it drops to 3.30 when you're 60 so a different way of approaching it may be to maintain times till then.  Thats much easier!  Still no phone call to mention.  Are you all on lunch or are you in and ignoring me?
  • Options
    seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)
    Kitty_The_Cat wrote (see)
    last year they just chose.no vote but they didn't put anything up about the winners till a month later.so don't hold yiur breathe.if you haven't heard by now then you won't be in.

Although logic tells me it's way too long a shot, the eager runner inside me is still endlessly hoping... I guess it's time I get back to planet Earthimage

• Options

GFA's are a bit easier for the girls, thank heavens.  Although I've had 2 attempts this year I didn't even come close to my old PB which is from September 08.  I did run a 5, 10ks and halves that would suggest I'd be capable of a sub 3:45 time but so far it eludes me and I continue to churn out 4hr maras, plus/minus a few seconds.  Boo Hoo.

Re. Super Six I thought that there'd be a shortlist of 24 candidates today and that the forum community would pick their favourites from there.  I reckon that if we haven't heard from RW in any way, shape or form by now it's likely we won't be on the list.  I'd assume - but this is purely speculation - they'd reach out to the lucky few on the shortlist to congratulate and perhaps to get their written consent to have their name added to the shortlist.

• Options

John, looking at the figures for FLM in 2009

1820 M50 males, the fastest time 2:32, 43 mins faster than GFA, 7.25% of runners achieved a GFA

959 M55 males, the fastest time 2:49, 26 mins faster than GFA,  4% of runners achieved a GFA

549 M60 males, the fastest time 2:55, 35 minutes faster than GFA, 6% of runners achieved a GFA

on this basis I figure that I have a slightly higher chance of getting a GFA at 50 than 60, but post 55 my chances will drop considerably.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

The beauty of these forums are that you can have a discussion and difference of opinion on many different running and non running issues, so those who responded to my points directly, fair comments. 

Although, I have to say I am well aware of peoples different abilities.  I don't judge people by their ability, it's all relative at the end of the day.  What I have noticed over the years though is that many people who see themselves as 'slow', seem to transfer their feelings of thinking they are slow/rubbish etc, etc onto those they see as being 'fast' and make out those people don't understand what it's like etc.  Well maybe they don't realise that most runners start from scratch and through hard work get to different standards and really have no issue with what pace people run.

For what it's worth and I don't think it'll be worth much, but some might like to know.  I started running having been a 20+ a day smoker and having my lung collapse, which put me in hospital with a chest drain and many months of problems.  So I'm certainly no running snob and no before anyone says nobody said I wasimage  I worked very hard to get to the standard I am and I still continue to do so, even though at the moment I'm finding things really tough.

And as KK says there is a big RW social scene and it's a great place for making friends and in my case gaining a husbandimage

Now 'slow' or 'fast' whatever that may be to one and all good luck in your marathon training whether a winner of this competition or not.

• Options

Looking at last years Super Six, there were approximately 1600 or more entries, therefore a 0.375% chance (or less) of success. 

If I was a gambling man, I wouldn't be putting much money on that horse.....

• Options
    DundeeRunner wrote (see)

John, looking at the figures for FLM in 2009

1820 M50 males, the fastest time 2:32, 43 mins faster than GFA, 7.25% of runners achieved a GFA

959 M55 males, the fastest time 2:49, 26 mins faster than GFA,  4% of runners achieved a GFA

549 M60 males, the fastest time 2:55, 35 minutes faster than GFA, 6% of runners achieved a GFA

on this basis I figure that I have a slightly higher chance of getting a GFA at 50 than 60, but post 55 my chances will drop considerably.

Thanks for the info DundeeRunner

I was curious how many V50's ran last time. It's encouraging to see that over 7% of V50's achieved GFA too. I achieved mine at my marathon debut at Abingdon, and would recommend the race highly to anyone after any PB/GFA attempt.