Options

Rotary Shakespeare Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Hi

I have missed the list for the Stratford marathon event - if anyone finds thay are now unable to do it - please let me know. I want two places - one for me and one for my wife!! - teamwork!

Thanks

Paul

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Paul, I'd stick your names down on this thread Shakespeare Mara Waiting List
  • Options

Evening everybody.A poor week for me last week.I had a slight strain following the club race so decided to rest up a bit.Sundays 20 mile run never happened as we had a load of snow in the morning and it wasn't fit for running.As a penance i've done 13 yesterday and 9 today which were both hard work.If i didn't know better i'd think i was struggling.

8 weeks and 4 days now according to my countdown clock.It'll be hear before we know it.

• Options
    8 weeks and 4 days worries me Howey, wanting so badly to pack up at 14 on Saturday worries me and a heavy head cold is annoying me
  • Options

Sensible move that Howey, always best to rest if you're feeling any niggles.

Training's still going well for me, did my 16 mile friday, 8 miles on Sunday, intervals today and a 9 miler tomorrow. It's a cut back week this week and I'm enjoying the thought of not being out for an age on Sunday. Next week the LSR goes up to 18 miles, beating my longest run to date.

• Options

I wouldn't worry about wanting to pack in Graeme there's a world of diferance between a training run this far into the program and race day.I do believe that marathon training is as much mental as it is physical.If you wanted to run a marathon this week you'd have started training 9 weeks ago.At the moment we are just building a base.

Good luck in getting a place Paul.

• Options

Hi everyone image

I'm in for this, and I have not done this one before so I have a question for those who have (apologies if it has already been asked):

How strict are they on the cut off for the second lap? I have done four marathons now in under 6 hours so I know I can meet that cut off point, but my HM time is currently 2:27:xx.  My training is going well and I am confident that this will not be an issue come the day but just wanted to know how strict they are in case it does go a bit pete tong on the day?

Thanks image

• Options

Howey - Definitely a good move to rest up. I'm glad that it was just a minor strain. There's nothing worse than getting this far in training and getting injured (happened to me last year).

Graeme - It's always tough at this point in the training, especially with the mileage increasing so much - keep plugging on through and you'll be flying in a couple of weeks!

Colin - Like you I'm looking forward to a shorter run this weekend, although I guess that the idea is to run it harder, so will be just as tough as last weekends LSR.

Vixx - Hi, sorry I can't give any info on the strictness of the cut-off, as this is my first RSM too, but I'm sure that you'll be have no problem getting round in good time.

Got out for some intervals yesterday lunch (legs feeling it today) and will try and get some hill work done tonight, subject to the bosses approval . . .  

Sounds like everyone is training really hard, despite battling with colds, injuries and mother nature  - Well done all, keep pushing on, it'll be well worth it in the end! 

Dave.

• Options

Like Howey, I've also picked up a slight strain in my knee.  I had it before the weekend, let it settle but battled through a tough 16miler on sunday.  Felt it hard sunday night but with ice and rest it is getting better.  I don't know how long to leave it before going out again.  I don't want it to keep cropping up, so am tempted to rest up until sunday (7days) and look at going out for 8 then.

I don't think a week off is such a bad thing.  We can turn these into positives can't we?

I am pleased to have done the 16 though, fortunately no serious damage appears to have been caused, and it's miles in the bank.

Really impressed with you all, warmer climes just around the corner I can feel it.

• Options

Slow 12 miles tonight after some sprint sessions with the club last night, legs a bit stiff this morning but the slow 12 seemed to have sorted them out.  I'm Ok with the training at the mo, loving every minute,  I know it can be hard but the hardest thing is getting out of the door.  Just got to remember it WILL be worth it come marathon day!

• Options

Did a slow 9 miles this afternoon, wow, what a lovely day for running, well at least in the West Midlands it was image.

Managed to leave my hat and gloves at home for the first time this year and just 2 thin layers on top. Fingers crossed that the weather continues to improve, although very unlikely

• Options

(@ AnotherHill - thanks for the shout out! I messaged you!)

I've done back to back 10 milers the past 2 days on the dark side and got to agree with Colin..even at stupid o'clock this morning it was mild..still needed the hat, but not the gloves - does tht count?

I also ran the Wyre Forest Trail race at the weekend in the snow, Mud and Stream..at least I think it was a tributary? Proudest moment...catching the guy on the bike up on the next uphill AND overtaking him! Bargain! But seriously a great race run by Amazing Feet RC and they were great as well.

Aiming for a easy 8 tomorrow and then twice on Friday, rest Saturday and 18 Sunday.

All guns blazing towards the Ashby 20 at the mo..so Stratford a little out of mind! But am aiming to run the distance in training before the event..need the pyschological reassurance - despite what the books say!! Anyone else intending to do this? 26 miles in training before the day?

• Options

Vixx76 - Re the cutoff, I too was worrying about this a bit, its in the FAQ on the website that the cut off is actually at 11.84 miles (not the half way point) and you need to reach it by 2.25.  That made me feel a bit better, hope it helps.

I have had a terrible training week so far as son has been sick and off school, I do the bulk of my running then so its been a bit tricky. Managed to get my long run in 19 miles, but not 100% sure I am going to get all my runs in this week. The weather isn't helping either! 

• Options

Evening All

Got the message Jules, cheers.

A good 12 miler done @ MP + 60 secs but on quite an hilly route not like the wyre forest.

Could do with a list for those doing Ashby and exchanging no's be really good to meet up.

Colin

Jules

Myself

Anyone else?

Probably 2 more 20's and one 22 for me already done 2 * 20's.

• Options

Slow and old - thank you for that information - that has definitely put my mind at ease image

Is everyone's training going well?

• Options

Hi,

If anyone is still looking for a Stratford marathon place now that the race is full, I would be happy to sell you mine for the same price that I paid for it (£26). Looking at the site it seems that places can be transferred officially for a small fee (£4). If you were happy to pay for the place, I don't mind paying the transfer fee and completing the relevant form.

Regrettably I cannot now take part as my training has been curtailed through injury image

Paul

• Options

Hey Paul, that's too bad you aint gonna make the race. But very admirable that you're offering your place. I also hope that whoever takes it DOESN't ask you to pay the transfer fee!

Bit much I reckon IMHO?!

Had a nice 7.5 this morning with hills mesel. Looking forward to tomorrow when I've got an easy run through the Valley on the Dark Side, then a social run after work but not in quite as picteuresque a part of Birmingham - Oldbury! (Just realised how alienating the last para was to most people! Sorry! But I'm sure you get the gist!)

How's everyone else today? Shaping up for Ashby, then Stratford?

• Options

Had a rest day today, but maybe should have done tomorrow run today instead as time's at a premium. May be able to squeeze it in after lunch. Otherwise going fine, can't believe that I've run over a third of my total 2009 mileage already. Hopefully keep the injuries at bay and long may it continue.

My race number for Ashby is 510, I'll be dining somewhere local afterwards as the family are in tow and meeting the old dear afterwards. Looking forward to seeing those of you running Ashby on the day

• Options
    I've never run around Oldbury - unless the Wolverhampton Road counts.....
  • Options

Hi all

just joining the thread as only found out the other day that the energy drinks were being dished out in plastic cups at mile 19, am pretty disgusted with this so sent this mail to the race director, the reply I received follows and my mind has really been put to rest by this ..........  NOT

sent mail

Dear sir

After having read your website regarding news of the event I am quite disturbed and upset with your provision of energy drinks for both the half and full marathon.

As I am running the full and my partner is running the half, to find that there are no energy drinks planned for the half marathon (cost of entry £28), and only 1 station at the 19 mile area serving energy drinks in plastic cups for the full marathon (cost of entry £28), this appears to be a cynical attempt at profiteering rather than a decision on wastage.

Having run other marathons and half marathons of both larger and smaller sizes, at a generally reduced cost to these races, I have found these to have no great problems with wastage on the course (opened ones being consumed by at least 75%) and any bottles or sachets not used would no doubt be given to local schools and charities such as the homeless shelters, who would greatly appreciate these donations.

I know my comments are not alone as they are echoed by a lot of runners I have met and know who are also entered into this race.

Kind Regard

reply received

Sorry you are disappointed but we did consult our Course Doctor over these drinks.We disagree with your suggestion that we are simply profiteering.Thank you for your view and it will be considered when we hold our debrief committee meeting after the event.Race Officeat least I had the decency to put my name on the original mail.....NOT IMPRESSED
  • Options

Seems a bit strange that they are concerned with wastage.  If they are using cups rathers than bottles surely there will be less wastage and they could afford to provide at least a second energy drinks station.

• Options

Hi all,

My training plan said run a race today, so I ran the Terminator.  11.5 miles of mud and hills, very tough race but a good workout.

• Options
    Well Done Barry B image
    How do you feel?
  • Options

Hi all - if anyone has a spare half marathon place I'd (not literally) bite their hand off!

Managed to leave it too late for the second year in a row!

thanks..

moseleytom@hotmail.com

• Options

21 miles for me this morning and 52.3 for the week.I struggled today from 17 miles but managed to keep going and i don't feel too bad this evening.You forget how far a marathon is at times.Plenty of runners out also which made a change.The last few weeks i've seen plenty of cyclists and hardly any runners.

I'm disapointed in the responce from the organisers regarding energy drinks.Heaven forbid anybody collapses but if it does happen the finger of blame will be pointing at them.I spill more than i drink when using plastic cups so it'll mean i have to carry my drinks for the whole race which isn't ideal.

Just out of curiosity how much will the t-shirts cost?

• Options

Seems like everyone on here is doing high miles already - my longest run to date is 15 miles and that was a bit of a struggle.   Kind of c***ed up my training plan for this race as I've got the Stafford half on the day of the Ashby 20 (didn't realise it was on the same day) and another, off-road, half the week after image ... not quite sure when I'm going to get my "long" long runs in image.     Do you reckon I should relinquish the Stafford Half and enter the Ashby 20 instead?   Could be good boost to my confidence.  

• Options

Vixx - not feeling too bad, legs a bit sore but probably feel worse tomorrow.

Howey -  If I remember rightly from last year there were various T shirts on offer last year from a basic one with the date and info on - I bought one for less than a tenner to technical shirts - which I think were £15.  Another long run bagged for you even if you found the last few miles a struggle what time/pace were you doing?

Stilldreaming -  the long slow runs are meant to be the most important for marathon training, to get your body condtioned for the long haul.  Have you run a marathon before?  You could try and fit in the long runs in midweek.

• Options

Evening Barry.I did the 21 in 2.59.It's a hilly route.my splits as follows

7.58 9.10 8.41 9.20 7.50 9.02 7.43 7.24 7.38 7.29 8.00 8.07 7.47 7.47 8.21 8.37 8.36 8.24 9.18 9.50.I strugled for the last 2 miles which is a pull back up the hill with quite a steep bit for a few hundred yards.I'm hoping to do sub 3.30 after being 93 seconds outside that at London.

• Options
    BB - this'll be mara no. 6, though I've not run Stratford before.    Have now entered Ashby 20 and arranged to transfer my Stafford half place to a clubmate.   Feeling better already!!